Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space (24730 Views)

Omoyele Sowore Speaks On Chude's Arrest / Buhari Out To Truncate Democracy - Governor Ganduje / Sowore Speaks To Nigerian Workers As Labour Strike Commences Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by DennisEche(m): 1:26pm On Nov 15, 2019
[s]
solmusdesigns:
Honestly Buhari is going about things in a worrisome way[/s]
DE DIA DE DECEIVE YOURSELF, WHAT HAS HE EVER DONE RIGHT

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by ultimatekint(m): 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2019
Vatod:
Yoruba! Ronu � ooh! Like play like play Abiola die in detention by the same tribe
We sincerely need God to deliver the Yorubas. God, please shower the Yorubas with your mercy. MKO was dealt with this way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Tom1999: 1:32pm On Nov 15, 2019
Sowore is the Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the Nigerian people but as Baba Fela don sing song sing sung “Overtake don Overtake” a song pregnant with meaning & prophecy. ok

If you are a Nigerian and you don’t support Sowore please put your hand up.......
Ok use that hand to give yourself a knock on the head.
I will ask you to do that until your brain reset and loads properly and see that this BuhAri regime is a military dictatorship. Democracy is dead

6 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by 7pages(m): 1:33pm On Nov 15, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
As much as I dislike this government and the calamity in Ask Rock/london, Sowore deserves all that is been done to him and much more, he is part of those that brought in this government so he should continue to eat the bitter food he cooked and served himself.

when is this chorus going to end?

please stay away from politics and let people with open minded contribute. enough of this thrash you people spill

gej is not saint, Nyako was removed by him, he troubled the peace of kano to an extent, terrorise ekiti during fayose reelection. pls make we hear words of this thrashed

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Bobbyfreshh(m): 1:33pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:
I don't talk to kids.

Bye.
Says a political jobber .....when are u going for the round 2 protest against Abba kyari .... cheesy wink cheesy cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5262639/apc-group-protests-against-abba#79627142

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by jaytee01(m): 1:34pm On Nov 15, 2019
Realdeals:
I have said it several times it is difficult to fight a man whose conviction for a struggle is based on a failed system, Sowore requires No Pity.
And you believe that you are making sense?

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by madridsta007(m): 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2019
Realdeals:
Detained social activist, publisher and politician, Omoyele Sowore, has spoken out from the custody of the State Security Service, telling PREMIUM TIMES he is being held as part of a grand scheme by the Buhari administration to shut down Nigeria’s civic space.

Mr Sowore called a PREMIUM TIMES’ reporter on Thursday afternoon, in a rare move to directly send out a message to the public.

It was a message of courage, defiance and hope for both his teeming supporters and the Nigerian downtrodden people.

The Sahara Reporters’ publisher said he would remain undeterred by the controversial tactics of the current government, which have seen him held in perpetual custody against the order of a federal judge.

Mr Sowore, a former student union activist who confronted military regimes and went to jail for it, was arrested in August in connection with his #RevolutionNow campaign — a series of nationwide protests he had planned with other activists to demand a better Nigeria.
The protests were planned to commence on August 5 across 21 towns and cities, with public awareness escalating as the day drew closer.

But suddenly on August 3, armed SSS officers broke into an apartment Mr Sowore was occupying with some of his closest associates in Lagos. He was taken away in the midnight raid that was captured by security cameras.
The arrest elicited outrage from Nigerians, with many slamming the SSS’ brutal tactics as yet another state-sponsored violence against unarmed citizens.

Members of the movement also warned that Mr Sowore’s detention — which they deemed illegal and unwarranted — would bolster rather than dampen a wave of resistance to decades of bad governance that many believed had worsened under President Muhammadu Buhari.

Grand plot thwarted
Speaking with PREMIUM TIMES from custody, Mr Sowore said the demand for his sureties was an attempt to intimidate them into pulling out.

“Their aim is to intimidate my sureties by subjecting them to undue maltreatment,” Mr Sowore said. “It is part of a grand plot to hold me hostage because they have failed to find anything illegal to pin on me.”

“But we know what they want to do and we will not allow it to happen,” he added.

Although the SSS has repeatedly asserted its respect for the Nigerian judicial and the rule of law in general, the agency has a history of repression, violation of citizens’ rights and disobedience of court decisions.

SSS was the agency at the heart of most allegations of attacks on Nigerians during the brutal military eras of Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha. Several Nigerians were jailed, physically attacked or killed as Mr Abacha moved to clear all obstacles to his authoritarian regime.

Despite attempts to reform the agency as Nigeria attained democracy in 1999, critics say the SSS, founded in 1986, has remained wedded to its brutal and anti-democratic past.

Hale, hearty
Mr Sowore lamented that he had “not seen sunshine since he was detained except when taken to court.” Only three people have been allowed to see him since August 3, which includes his lawyers and the person responsible for his feeding.

Even though Mr Sowore said he cannot wait to reunite with his associates and loved ones, he said he had come to a fresh realisation that the SSS would continue to disregard court pronouncements and would not release him anytime soon.

“Last night, they gave us phones and cable TV,” Mr Sowore said. “This indicates that they have no intention of complying with court orders to release me anytime soon.’’

Mr Sowore said he will continue to fight for the downtrodden, and wanted the world to know that the Buhari administration has been stifling civil liberties in Nigeria.

“The world should know that I remain unbroken and in high spirits,” Mr Sowore said. “I will continue to fight for the Nigerian people, ensure that the people are not shortchanged and corruption is driven underground.”

“I will continue to stand up for the downtrodden,” he said.

Mr Sowore said all those who support him should not be discouraged because the masses will prevail in the battle against anti-democratic forces.

“The ultimate mission is to intimidate all critical voices and shut down the nation’s civic space,” Mr Sowore said. “But this will not happen and we shall overcome.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/363012-sowore-speaks-from-custody-says-buhari-out-to-destroy-civic-space.html

No regret yet from Sowore in his role in installing the most despotic regime Nigerians has had since the return to democracy.
He is only eating the fruits of his labour.
However, the rule of law transcends my choice of him being accountable.
He should be released if he has met his bail conditions.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by faheez(m): 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
As much as I dislike this government and the calamity in Ask Rock/london, Sowore deserves all that is been done to him and much more, he is part of those that brought in this government so he should continue to eat the bitter food he cooked and served himself.
Tell us more.
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by faheez(m): 1:41pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:
Sowore, but you were out to destroy and remove a democratically and constitutionally established government.

Much as i admire your deggedness and courage, you must be held accountable for your actions as well.

When asked if you were calling for protests, you reiterated you were calling for a REMOVAL OF THE GOVERNMENT AND NOT JUST ANY PROTEST. How could you call for the removal of a government duly elected in a process in which you ALSO participated, and even endorsed?

Come on, even the US government wont tolerate that. It is called treason. As we speak, the US president is calling a legitimate WHistle Blower legally protected by their constitution, an enemy of state guilty of treason! What the guy reported has been corroborated even by employees of the president himself.

So, forget all that. You surely will be out of there. But I simply cant tell when.
You make sense small
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Bobbyfreshh(m): 1:42pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:
I don't talk to kids.

Bye.

Bring it on shameless political jobber cheesy[right][/right]
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by faheez(m): 1:42pm On Nov 15, 2019
landforeast:
You are through activist
A fight like this is not for children.
The only problem is that you are fighting for Youth "wey their head no dey road". They will rather leave you to rot in jail and struggle to have a selfie with Tacha.
You get sense abeg
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Goldstone11: 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2019
With the popularity sowore is gaining this might just be his window opportunity to win 2023 presidential election, remember naira marley
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by madridsta007(m): 1:46pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:
Sowore, but you were out to destroy and remove a democratically and constitutionally established government.

Much as i admire your deggedness and courage, you must be held accountable for your actions as well.

When asked if you were calling for protests, you reiterated you were calling for a REMOVAL OF THE GOVERNMENT AND NOT JUST ANY PROTEST. How could you call for the removal of a government duly elected in a process in which you ALSO participated, and even endorsed?

Come on, even the US government wont tolerate that. It is called treason. As we speak, the US president is calling a legitimate WHistle Blower legally protected by their constitution, an enemy of state guilty of treason! What the guy reported has been corroborated even by employees of the president himself.

So, forget all that. You surely will be out of there. But I simply cant tell when.

Forgive me for digressing. Your justification of lawlessness- quite clearly, despite the obfuscating nuances you've tried to mask them with, is the problem with Nigeria and Africa's fledging democracies. You are one of the reasons why many believe that the white man is a different mental and superior breed to the black man.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by madridsta007(m): 1:50pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:

This fellow here clearly epitomises the reason for the lawlessness in most so-called democracies in the Global South. The justification of lawlessness over the rule of law by the led.

You think the CIA and the FBI do not know who the whistleblower is? Of course they do. I am sure you know this anyway. However, despite Trump's name calling of the whisteblower, the opposite has happened. Impeachment proceedings have started as led by the House.
This is the rule of law, my friend. I am sure you know this, but hey, you prefer lawlessness for the black man. Is it that you hate the black man so much?

Forgive me for digressing. Your justification of lawlessness- quite clearly, despite the obfuscating nuances you've tried to mask them with, is the problem with Nigeria and Africa's fledging democracies. You are one of the reasons why many believe that the white man is a different mental and superior breed to the black man.

4 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 15, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
What is wrong with you people by bringing up the issues before 2015 elections alone?
Why not check how he has constantly spoken against all governments since the military era?

Most of you are just hell bent on holding unto a bit of a whole just so you can see what to use against him.
You may not like him which is not my problem, but saying he foisted this government on the nation is preposterous and untrue.

How did he even force the government on you people?
Was he the one that forced you people to vote?

Most of you don't understand that this government came through a grand plot that is bigger than what you see with your eyes.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by jesicajonna(m): 1:51pm On Nov 15, 2019
Am so disappointed to see you write this poo
Realdeals:
I have said it several times it is difficult to fight a man whose conviction for a struggle is based on a failed system, Sowore requires No Pity.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by obembet(f): 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2019
lilwetdick:
sowore aka sowere is an idiot.

he is no freedom fighter, he is just disturbing the peace, nothing he says is relevant

this is the man that contested for election and lost woefully then wants a revolution because he didnt win

Suffering and smiling people
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Emmyj2g: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2019
Fountainofyouth:
you really don't have sense.. how did he brinf this government Who because he open your eyes and every other Nigerians eyes of the hidden corruptiona PDP were into right You sincerely don't have sense. You should think about protesting for all the promises Buhari made to looking for who to blame.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by LabDNA: 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2019
Let me tell you all the reason why the NBA, lawyers and judicial officers are not perturbed about this case. Sowore's lawyer Falana was part and parcel of those who fed this monster we are facing today. Falana supported the removal of CJN Onnoghen even without due process, he has supported so many other impunities where he is not directly or indirectly affected.

In the Onoghen case, NBA decided to shut down the courts but Falana and other lawyers divided the NBA's resolve to follow due process. Today, Falana is the one wearing the shoe where it pinches, he goes to court to get a judgment or an injuction but it is no longer worth the paper it is written on, the DSS throws it into the trash bin. His integrity as a senior of the court and respected officer of the temple of justice has been watered down, he is now threatening to leave legal practice. DSS chairman whom he may have even helped in previous cases won't pick his calls.

Now who is losing?

The lesson is very clear, the frankenstein you feed may also eat you someday. Those of you supporting injustice, it will get to you one way or the way, continue to empower tyranny.

I don't have an ounce of pity to spare. They were warned.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by obembet(f): 1:55pm On Nov 15, 2019
Fountainofyouth:

You will be the most greatest fool on the planet if u blame Sowore and support atiku, Tambua, Dino and all the PDP member that decamped to APC

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by benniet(m): 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2019
That is the problem with half baked people like you. When did investigative journalism and reporting become fostering a political candidate on people? What Sowore and other journalists did during GEJ was report it's ills and not campaign for anyone so stop fooling yourself saying he imposed this tyrant bastard on Nigeria. GEJ failed journalist reported it and Buhari is failing and it is being reported as well, simple.
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by dotunbidemi: 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2019
omenka:

You and your analysis lack credibility most especially your reference to Trump's ordeal.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Realdeals(m): 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2019
jesicajonna:
Am so disappointed to see you write this poo

I didn't get what you mean
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Neurotika: 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2019
madridsta007:

lol its funny how people use analogies that suits their bias. In your earlier comment you assert Sowore deserves no pity and he's only reaping the fruits of his labor.

Yet in this recent comment you agree it's improper for the Govt to flout court order and not release him.

The import of all these is that your sentimental attachment towards the previous administration has masked your ability to forgive anyone that spoke against its excesses which makes you lack the moral justification to talk about how a white man is mentally superior to a black man.

You're the full definition of everything a black man stands for that has kept us in the doldrums for centuries.
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by slaypapa: 2:11pm On Nov 15, 2019
In as much as I hated GEJ during his tenure, and now seeing this Bugatti regime, I must say GEJ is a good man. I now miss him as if he's my dad.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by MrALIVE: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2019
lilwetdick:
sowore aka sowere is an idiot.

he is no freedom fighter, he is just disturbing the peace, nothing he says is relevant

this is the man that contested for election and lost woefully then wants a revolution because he didnt win
you are intellectually blind
Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by plaindealer: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2019
Person we dey plan violence and destruction of Nigeria dey talk civility?

What was so civil about your burning down Nigeria revolution?

Make den let this useless fool stay inside prison forever sef make den teach other foolish people like him some sense.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by madridsta007(m): 2:17pm On Nov 15, 2019
Neurotika:

lol its funny how people use analogies that suits their bias. In your earlier comment you assert Sowore deserves no pity and he's only reaping the fruits of his labor.

Yet in this recent comment you agree it's improper for the Govt to flaunt court order and not release him.

The import of all these is that your sentimental attachment towards the previous administration has masked your ability to forgive anyone that spoke against its excesses which makes you lack the moral justification to talk about how a white man is mentally superior to a black man.

You're the full definition of everything a black man stands for that has kept us in the doldrums for centuries.

I am a very objective person and take out emotions from my statements- something you clearly struggle to do.

In my option, Sowore is clearly being held accountable to his role in installing the most despotic regime currently in West Africa and certainly in Nigeria since the return to democracy. An accountability, that everyone who participated in this despotism, yourself included, would "enjoy" at some point in this life. For me, forgiveness should not trump accountability. A society that sees "abeg pity him" as more serious to "let us hold him accountable" normally results in a failed state. E.g Nigeria. Laws are laws. If you do not want to keep laws, then suspend it. Officially declare the state to be a military state. Stop the pretences. You owe the citizens that clarity.

HOWEVER, the rule of law transcends my opinion that he be held accountable to this deed. The rule of law is enforced by the courts or, at least, works hand-in-hand. As the courts have ruled that he be released, and has he has met his bail terms, he SHOULD BE RELEASED.

I would have assumed this was clear, at least, from my enunciation of the Trump's example.

It is sad that, while you appear to understand the importance of the rule of law in upholding democracy, you are unable to see beyond your bias of supporting the continual detention of a man that the courts have asked to be released. This is a pity and a clear indication that you seem not to like the black man's progress in a democracy. A clear indication that for you, totalitarianism and despotism is your preference over democracy.
Pathetic

Anyway, to a more serious question: Any reason why you support despotism and despots over the rule of law? You may have genuine reasons and it would be good to know. I am curious.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Theboss100(m): 2:18pm On Nov 15, 2019
U see your life! President Jonathan was insulted and his govt. threatened By people like u, he did nothing and people called him clueless. U campaigned against him, now he is no longer thinking about the unsolvable problem of Nigeria and cooling off in his ac mansion. He gave u ungrateful Nigerians freedom of expression. Now, Buhari has taken it away. Una neva see anytin. God pls give BUHARI another term until Nigerians get sense by force. By then so many ungrateful idiots might av rot away in jail.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Amhappy(f): 2:19pm On Nov 15, 2019
A choice between freedom and repression so said GEJ in 2015 but Sowore did not listen. He chose Baba Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Speaks From Custody, Says Buhari Out To Destroy Civic Space by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 15, 2019
MrALIVE:
you are intellectually blind

i will leave you in your ignorance

his mate, contested on the existing platform and won, they are all in the rep and senate changing things

every smart strategists join the existent system and change it from within.

Mr Sowore aka Sowere isnt a smart man. He is dumb like you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

‘Blame Ganduje If Anything Happens To Me' - Jaafar Jaafar / Goodluck Jonathan Writes To Congratulate Trump On His Inaguaration / Osinbajo, South-West Governors Visit Bisi Akande Over The Death Of His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.