Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,885 members, 7,810,396 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors (34480 Views)

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Nurses / How Nigerian Doctors Worsened Drug Abuse Among Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Segkem2013(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2019
passion007:

Can you point out what the grievance is then? Im waiting
Doctors are not paid to be nice to you, they are there to treat you.
If you are nice, they'll be nice to you too.
If you come with an attitude, be ready for what you get.

Go back to the post you quoted and read with an open mind.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Yonce(f): 7:21pm On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Nah...He has a point

The doctors are a manifestation of the society that produced them. Its somewhat unfair to hold them to a higher standard than the government who messed things up in the first place.

Engineers, architects, police, all those people are also dealing with human life. Not just doctors

If the government would write and enforce good policies, we wouldnt be hearing all these stories.

You can't compare how engineers, architects, police etc interact with and handle human life to the doctor's own role.
Doctors' interactions are more intimate, more scrutinised, definitely more judged. Their actions will always be under a microscope even if the government writes and enforces good policies.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by AlphaT1(m): 7:35pm On Nov 27, 2019
Motunemotun:
Like I don’t know that ?
Have you stopped going to church or mosque because you've heard the message before? It is for emphasis or re-enforcement or encouragement or reminder. In safety, for instance, we give pep talk 5 mins everyday before comencement of work, reminding workers the same safety tips that they already know....Nigerians una too d form sabi with arogance...Afterall you are a pharmacologist abi?...There's nothing wrong in telling you what you already know!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 7:56pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yonce:

You can't compare how engineers, architects, police etc interact with and handle human life to the doctor's own role.
Doctors' interactions are more intimate, more scrutinised, definitely more judged. Their actions will always be under a microscope even if the government writes and enforces good policies.

Yeah, you are right about that.

And more respected too, hence the higher expectation on them. Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

But at the same time they can't be expected to work miracles in a faulty system. The patient:doctor ratio in this country is terrible and their workload is too much.

If conditions were more conducive they would do better
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by passion007: 7:57pm On Nov 27, 2019
Segkem2013:

Go back to the post you quoted and read with an open mind.

Basically you're afraid pointing out the perceived grievance would expose your shallow understanding, hence this prevarication.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2019
passion007:

Basically you're afraid pointing out the perceived grievance would expose your shallow understanding, hence this prevarication.

What you said there was right but you totally overlooked the bad manners on the doctors part, kind of biased of you

Is it the guys fault somebody scratched his car

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by passion007: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2019
trilobite:

I didn't say he brought a drug from America!!!

Wait, so you have not seen a machine that measures the heart beat of unconscious patients?!! The problem is in your statement " had no signs of life" how did they confirm? That is the beef of my story!! They didn't properly confirm that she was dead before saying so.

This mistake is not totally unusual.

Okay.

You are referring to a defibrillator.
Well you dont need that or an ECG to confirm death.
No pulse, no breathing, no success with CPR = Death
Your story is as implausible as they come.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by passion007: 8:41pm On Nov 27, 2019
Doktajay5:

Sorry about your loss bro.

But I have this to tell you.
They didn't kill your father. U should take responsibility for your carelessness. I want to believe u don't know how much loss that hospital have incured on that sentiment of "Dr we will pay in the morning" and next is that the patient have absconded and the MDs eventually make these health workers pay with their small salary.

I mean how long shall health workers continue to pay the bills of absconded patient, while u still expect them to listen to ur cock and bull story.

Why didn't u take money, or your Atm for POS, or even offer to drop any valuable on you.

Oga u didn't try. Just don't blame those workers there.. They don't owe u a duty of treating you free. People have abuse that opportunity severally. See attached pictures..

Health care is money globally.
And this one is a private hospital. Is not as if anybody will look ur face in government hospital neither will u even have anymore ones attention there to tell ur story. Is either u pay and get value or u run losses bro. U just did. Sorry about it.

They actually didn't kill your father, ur nonchalance did.

Epele.

A brilliant case in point.

Nigerians never accept responsibility for poor decisions made, rather there is a frantic attempt to blame someone else.

Condolences to the OP of course, but I bet he did not forget to pay the taxi driver, or pay for petrol on the way, or pay at the toll gate, or pay for airtime in order to inform the extended family to come to hospital and so on and so on. But as soon as he arrives the hospital, he expects to be accepted and the bills settled later, conveniently unaware that a hospital is a business establishment like any other. Unfortunately we haven't got free healthcare, and government will struggle to find the moral licence to mandate hospitals to treat all emergency cases pro bono. And this is what the man on the street should really be campaigning for.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by trilobite: 9:16pm On Nov 27, 2019
passion007:

You are referring to a defibrillator.
Well you dont need that or an ECG to confirm death.
No pulse, no breathing, no success with CPR = Death
Your story is as implausible as they come.

Now that is the problem!!! Go abroad and see how they certify dead people. You think they just do all those things you mentioned and leave the patients like that?!!

Western medicine had this same problem, that is why you see ambulances in developed world equiped with heart monitors. Once they get a patient, he/she gets connected to the damn machine immediately!!!

Articles for you:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/14/waking-morgue-death-janina-kolkiewicz

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/woman-wakes-up-in-morgue.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/amp14852574/dead-man-woke-up-during-autopsy/

Like I said happens more often than you think.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 27, 2019
Never said I won’t ever use a doctor, just said il rather consult a pharmacist, which I don’t even do sef coz I already know what And what to use when I’m feeling somehow , abeg abeg take a chill pill you taking it personal already lipsrsealed
I purposely didn’t share my own personal experiences with Nigeria doctors coz wer will I even start from !
It’s not even the fact that I’m a pharmacologist sef , my first horrible experience with a doctor was in my jss2 and this year sef I found myself in lautech teaching hospital And it was horrible that I had to rather live with the sickness than go back , and pls don’t quote me again , Goan take a chill pill , talmabout ya arrogance yen yen yen , write your own comment and go , stop menstruating under my comment angry
AlphaT1:

Have you stopped going to church or mosque because you've heard the message before? It is for emphasis or re-enforcement or encouragement or reminder. In safety, for instance, we give pep talk 5 mins everyday before comencement of work, reminding workers the same safety tips that they already know....Nigerians una too d form sabi with arogance...Afterall you are a pharmacologist abi?...There's nothing wrong in telling you what you already know!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 27, 2019
K
SwagPower:

Unrathwr consult a pharmacist than a Doctor abi?..
Aight kontinu ..If you ever need surgery, please get a pharmacy to do it..

grin
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2019
Pharmacist know better , trust me wink
femi4:
Momentum ....its still good to consult doc instance of pharmacist
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 27, 2019
Pained much wink
dochenaj:

Consult a pharmacist? That's too high, you should rather prefer a patent medicine dealer. Those guys can mix drug for Africa.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by passion007: 9:46pm On Nov 27, 2019
trilobite:

Now that is the problem!!! Go abroad and see how they certify dead people. You think they just do all those things you mentioned and leave the patients like that?!!

Western medicine had this same problem, that is why you see ambulances in developed world equiped with heart monitors. Once they get a patient, he/she gets connected to the damn machine immediately!!!

Articles for you:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/14/waking-morgue-death-janina-kolkiewicz

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/woman-wakes-up-in-morgue.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/amp14852574/dead-man-woke-up-during-autopsy/

Like I said happens more often than you think.

I'll reiterate that no pulse , no breathing, no success at CPR = Death.
You watch a lot of movies but seem ignorant about the science behind it.
The machines you're referring to are defibrillators to deliver shocks and attempt to restart the heart. That is part of CardioPulmonary Resuscitation.

Well, I think you have started to answer your own questions. You now realise that the implausible situation you've posted has no basis in science and not in any way an indictment of the Nigerian doctor which was your opening salvo.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Respect55(m): 11:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
Doktajay5:

U sound quiet selfish bros... So cos he was operating on you, he shouldn't take calls?

Do you know the Dr:patient ratio in Nigeria currently?

So u think is only you that need that Drs service at that time.?

Do u know if his own child was admitted and being operated on that same time somewhere else?...

There's obviously why we r called Nigerians.

#smh
Shut that gutter u called mouth. This same doctor I talked of was busy flirting with girls on phone. I was hearing all. Learn to understand before u talk so that u don't continously make a mess of yourself

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
chukel:
you don't get it. Will you jump up and go to park or airport and enter vehicle or plane without paying. At least one has to keep funds for emergency services. If you can pay for card services and one or 2 things, any hospital will run extra investigations to even if you don't have more funds just to make sure you or your ward is ok.

No matter what I say here or do, it won't bring him back, Lesson learnt but we don't always make the best decisions in life... Just move on. Have a nice day

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Respect55(m): 11:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
chukel:
you are here again. At least you are alive today. If he had messed his job up, you won't be commenting here. Give him kudos
Excuse me
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Doktajay5: 12:38am On Nov 28, 2019
Respect55:

Shut that gutter u called mouth. This same doctor I talked of was busy flirting with girls on phone. I was hearing all. Learn to understand before u talk so that u don't continously make a mess of yourself

U sound arrogantly ignorant...

Ur emptyness is top notch. U simply don't understand where you are. I will leave you to ur stupidity and arrogance.
U expect one Dr in the current Nigeria not to take calls because he is operating on you to save ur miserable life. OK he did and you ve been a live since then. What about u being alive? Mtcheww nuisance!!!

For your information, u aren't anything close to leaving 1 Dr for you in Nigeria. Deal with the rot..
Ode!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Respect55(m): 12:42am On Nov 28, 2019
Doktajay5:

U sound arrogantly ignorant...

Ur emptyness is top notch. U simply don't understand where you are. I will leave you to ur stupidity and arrogance.
U expect one Dr in the current Nigeria not to take calls because he is operating on you to save ur miserable life. OK he did and you ve been a live since then. What about u being alive? Mtcheww nuisance!!!

For your information, u aren't anything close to leaving 1 Dr for you in Nigeria. Deal with the rot..
Ode!
You will be alright finally
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Segkem2013(m): 1:22am On Nov 28, 2019
passion007:

I thought I was conversing with an educated fellow but I can see you are just a lazy dumb dumb.
Please never quote my post again except you want to be unfortunate your remaining days.
Useless fellow.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by dochenaj: 1:23am On Nov 28, 2019
Motunemotun:
Pained much wink
Why would I be? For me this is just comic relief.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by trilobite: 5:17am On Nov 28, 2019
passion007:

I'll reiterate that no pulse , no breathing, no success at CPR = Death.
You watch a lot of movies but seem ignorant about the science behind it.
The machines you're referring to are defibrillators to deliver shocks and attempt to restart the heart. That is part of CardioPulmonary Resuscitation.

Well, I think you have started to answer your own questions. You now realise that the implausible situation you've posted has no basis in science and not in any way an indictment of the Nigerian doctor which was your opening salvo.

"Apart from performing many of the tests above, though with more reliable and expensive equipment, doctors or paramedics on the scene use technology. They hook a body up to machines that monitor heartbeat, brainwaves, and respiration. If you’ve ever watched a medical show you know exactly what they’re looking for: A flatline. Doctors may also do an ultrasound to see if there’s any heart activity". (https://www.everplans.com/articles/how-to-tell-if-a-person-is-actually-dead)

Defibrillators are used to deliver shocks to revive. They are not used to monitor patient's heartbeat, brainwaves, or respiration.

My beef with the doctor is in not using either method to confirm death before sending her to the mortuary.

"I'll reiterate that no pulse , no breathing, no success at CPR = Death" Medical science has evolved beyond this your unreliable 20th century logic, which is the reason why cases like the girl's keep happening.

Doctors should do more than check pulse, breathing, or CPR before certifying death. He probably didn't do a good job at any of them, hence his wrong death diagnosis.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by passion007: 6:45am On Nov 28, 2019
trilobite:

"Apart from performing many of the tests above, though with more reliable and expensive equipment, doctors or paramedics on the scene use technology. They hook a body up to machines that monitor heartbeat, brainwaves, and respiration. If you’ve ever watched a medical show you know exactly what they’re looking for: A flatline. Doctors may also do an ultrasound to see if there’s any heart activity". (https://www.everplans.com/articles/how-to-tell-if-a-person-is-actually-dead)

Defibrillators are used to deliver shocks to revive. They are not used to monitor patient's heartbeat, brainwaves, or respiration.

My beef with the doctor is in not using either method to confirm death before sending her to the mortuary.

"I'll reiterate that no pulse , no breathing, no success at CPR = Death" Medical science has evolved beyond this your unreliable 20th century logic, which is the reason why cases like the girl's keep happening.

Doctors should do more than check pulse, breathing, or CPR before certifying death. He probably didn't do a good job at any of them, hence his wrong death diagnosis.

The problem with your posts is that you think you know, but you don't realise how ignorant you sound, and I'm having to explain myself over and over.

Search what a defibrillator is, then tell me what functions its capable of. You keep saying monitor the the heart, and you're unaware that's part of what a defibrillator does. It assesses the heart rhythm, then delivers a shock if it's a shockable rhythm.

Search what CPR is, it involves basic and advanced life support, whether mouth to mouth, or use of defibrillator and artificial ventilation.

Yes, one can be dead without a flat line aka asystole. Search pulseless electrical activity. One can have normal heart waves and be dead.

There's more to medicine than you can find from cursory online reading.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 28, 2019
Truth is bitter bro
dochenaj:

Why would I be? For me this is just comic relief.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by SwagPower: 8:04am On Nov 28, 2019
Juliearth:

A friend of mine lost her mum to Doctors' carelessness. The mum was diabetic and came down with "2go". She was admitted and administered with a drip that had glucose in it. The woman went comatose and died shortly after. These days, whenever my mum falls ill, I follow her to the hospital and I don't fail to sound it aloud that she has HBP, lest they prescribe drugs that would do her more harm than good.

May God help ur ignorance sha..

Woman prolly overdosed on her antiDm meds and went hypoglycaemic..The glucose was to counteract this...Get ur facts b4 u bring up accusations like this..

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Juliearth(f): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2019
SwagPower:

May God help ur ignorance sha..

Woman prolly overdosed on her antiDm meds and went hypoglycaemic..The glucose was to counteract this...Get ur facts b4 u bring up accusations like this..

Ignorance , you say? Please ask around and you would be told that people with diabetes mellitus have no business taking drip with glucose. Its a beautiful day, so I will forgive you for calling me ignorant.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by SwagPower: 8:39am On Nov 28, 2019
adanny01:
My mother inlaw wasn't feeling well, she went to a general hospital and saw a doctor who wrote her some medication. She wasn't satisfied so she went to a private laboratory opposite the hospital. She tested herself for malaria and typhoid with malaria returning very high. The lab recommended additional antimalarial to her drugs but she opted to revisit the Dr to properly prescribe drugs for her.

The Dr sent her out of his office without looking at the result saying he gave her the right prescription for what she complained.

LMAO..grin
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Lush100(m): 12:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
while it is burning, pls kindly share it

jibrilELsudan:
If I open my mouth to share my experience, Nigeria will burn.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by AlphaT1(m): 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2019
Motunemotun:
Never said I won’t ever use a doctor, just said il rather consult a pharmacist, which I don’t even do sef coz I already know what And what to use when I’m feeling somehow , abeg abeg take a chill pill you taking it personal already lipsrsealed
I purposely didn’t share my own personal experiences with Nigeria doctors coz wer will I even start from !
It’s not even the fact that I’m a pharmacologist sef , my first horrible experience with a doctor was in my jss2 and this year sef I found myself in lautech teaching hospital And it was horrible that I had to rather live with the sickness than go back , and pls don’t quote me again , Goan take a chill pill , talmabout ya arrogance yen yen yen , write your own comment and go , stop menstruating under my comment angry
Je t'entends mademoiselle!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
Can you stop quoting and go get a life wink
AlphaT1:

Je t'entends mademoiselle!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by jaephoenix(m): 5:12pm On Nov 28, 2019
Juliearth:

Ignorance , you say? Please ask around and you would be told that people with diabetes mellitus have no business taking drip with glucose. Its a beautiful day, so I will forgive you for calling me ignorant.
Truly,u r ignorant.Diabetics can have glucose infusion either during management of DKA(a diabetic complication) or hypoglycemic crises(from anti DM drugs). Quietly carry your L

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by sharpwriter(m): 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
monerozi5590:

You just spoke my mind. I have been having stomach problems for the past 15 years now. None of them seems to know what's wrong with me... They keep treating typhoid fever because test results shows typhoid. Some of them are even saying is psychological. I met one long time ago and he gave up on me.

I just wanna travel out for a better treatment. I will save up for that.

Start taking wine!!! 1Tim. 5:23

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Unknown Patient At National Hospital, Abuja...( See His Photo) / Tragedy As FAAN Staff Collapses And Dies At Lagos Airport (Photos) / 8 months after wedding, Corper dies minutes after welcoming baby girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.