Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors (34610 Views)

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Nurses / How Nigerian Doctors Worsened Drug Abuse Among Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:10am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Its not two females fighting. She quoted me from nowhere first and I answered her.

You should have looked for the original comment. Thats where you will see what a cud-chewing heifer she is!

You just came fresh from fighting me and your are already in another battle. Now you think the enemy is cud-chewing heifer just like you thought i was.

You are definitely not ok.

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by SIRTee15: 10:11am On Nov 27, 2019
trilobite:
Happened to a very good friend of mine:

One girl slept didn't wake up and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors ran tests, and did all they could (in their illiterate mind) before confirming her dead.

The mum however refused the hospital moving her daughter to the mortuary, insisting she was alive. Now when someone dies a final injection is given to the corpse before the body is moved. The mum fought tooth and nail against it's administration.

The family ordered one of their doctor sons in the USA to come back and run a final check on his sister. He took an immediate flight and arrived a few days later. Now note throughout all this the girl's body was covered on the hospital bed like a dead corpse.

Dude came in, didn't even need any fancy equipment, just checked her body and confirmed.....SHE WAS ALIVE!!!! He ordered specific tests, gave her some injections after which she regained conciousness.

The incident still scares me to this day. If not the family had him, the hospital would have killed their daughter. How many people who are in a worst financial situation have suffered a worst fate?

God help us.
U can lie

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 10:12am On Nov 27, 2019
femi4:
Ibuprofen is a very strong pain killer. Not to be administered unless in a severe cases

Not at all, ibuprofen is even given to babies as a suspension. Its a very common painkiller and theres no issue giving it unless the person is asthmatic

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:18am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Haha, again, showing that youre an illiterate bushman!

If you had ever been anywhere outside of Mushin you would know that its prohibited for a doctor to pursue a romantic indulgence with his patient. Its an abuse of power.

I guess your Texas hallucination is looking kind of implausible now, huh?

If you were half as intelligent as a Mushin dog, bitchy bitch, not only will you be ashamed of your family who are all wh.ores, according to you, but also remember that I've trolling your bushy ass for 3 days now cheesy

Oh, and for your information the restrictions/prohibitions are not limited to the medical profession. In the US it extends to almost all fields of consultation including law. cheesy

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 27, 2019
anselm791:

you should be glad a doctor wants to check google before treating you, it comes from a place of humility wanting to be absolutely certain.
but again, what do I know?

oga then there shouldn't be need to have gone to med school. Except na mago mago he use get him certificate.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:22am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Not at all, ibuprofen is even given to babies as a suspension. Its a very common painkiller and theres no issue giving it unless the person is asthmatic

Shut up before you make Maka Bisi OD her pikin

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 10:22am On Nov 27, 2019
EasternPrince:
Oh, and for your information the restrictions/prohibitions are not limited to the medical profession. In the US it extends to almost all fields of consultation including law. cheesy

Lol! How can you even fail at trolling? Who said they were restricted to the medical profession, are we talking about lawyers here? Humans are talking, bushrat will open mouth, what a pity.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by onyxo76(m): 10:25am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Well that must be due to the overprescribing culture that makes them think that unless theyre swallowing 5 tablets, they are going to die.

Unless theres something really wrong with you you should only need 1 or 2 medicines.

Sometimes they dont even need anything but good advice
most dont want to hear anything, once they know you for a few drugs prescription, they will ask the record officer to relocate their case note , some must collect blood tonic with every prescription else they will begin spoiling your reputation all over the place.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by anselm791(m): 10:29am On Nov 27, 2019
Fvckmoderators:

oga then there shouldn't be need to have gone to med school. Except na mago mago he use get him certificate.

I know for a fact that no man has all knowledge.
nothing wrong in wanting to be absolutely sure.
he just shouldn't have checked it in front of a patient to avoid things like this.
it even happened to me just now while trying to spell "knowledge" above, had to spell check on google and I swear I go school o.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:29am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Lol! How can you even fail at trolling? Who said they were restricted to the medical profession, are we talking about lawyers here? Humans are talking, bushrat will open mouth, what a pity.

You did say ooo, stop lying like a fatherfvcker. That's why I'm schooling and hailing you ooo nothing more, bitchy bitch. Are the shameless women of your family his patients or not. Answer the question

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 10:32am On Nov 27, 2019
onyxo76:
most dont want to hear anything, once they know you for a few drugs prescription, they will ask the record officer to relocate their case note , some must collect blood tonic with every prescription else they will begin spoiling your reputation all over the place.

Hmm. Sorry about that. Personally I dont like swallowing too many drugs because Im afraid of interactions

They will be giving you vitamin C, zinc, paracetamol, antibiotics blah blah for no reason. Waste of money and dangerous too. Vitamin C that is inside ugu leaf already
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Keep looking for unnecessary attention in my mentions, okay? kiss I guess youre starved of it at home. Idiot

Attention from a mentally deranged person like you? Nah, I’ll rather hang myself if I’m starved of attention.

PS: there are lots of psychiatric homes in Nigeria, check yourself in before you hit the streets naked. Bye!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:34am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Hmm. Sorry about that. Personally I dont like swallowing too many drugs because Im afraid of interactions

They will be giving you vitamin C, zinc, paracetamol, antibiotics blah blah for no reason. Waste of money and dangerous too. Vitamin C that is inside ugu leaf already

Chatter box

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 10:38am On Nov 27, 2019
maiahsaiah:
Attention from a mentally deranged person like you? Nah, I’ll rather hang myself if I’m starved of attention.

PS: there are lots of psychiatric homes in Nigeria, check yourself in before you hit the streets naked. Bye!

Lol as if you arent roaming the streets already, used rubber like you undecided Your suffering is not my fault, please.

No hang yourself ooo let me recommend a good treatment centre where they will open file for you. Be taking your drugs eeyeh? You obviously really need them
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Cmanforall: 10:39am On Nov 27, 2019
Nawa for your mother-in-law o... She oversabi, and what's the need of seeing the doctor on the first instance.
adanny01:
My mother inlaw wasn't feeling well, she went to a general hospital and saw a doctor who wrote her some medication. She wasn't satisfied so she went to a private laboratory opposite the hospital. She tested herself for malaria and typhoid with malaria returning very high. The lab recommended additional antimalarial to her drugs but she opted to revisit the Dr to properly prescribe drugs for her.

The Dr sent her out of his office without looking at the result saying he gave her the right prescription for what she complained.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 10:44am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

Lol as if you arent roaming the streets already, used rubber like you undecided Your suffering not my fault, please.

No hang yourself ooo let me recommend a good treatment centre where they will open file for you. Be taking your drugs eeyeh? You obviously really need them

NL fake ass doctor wants to commit murder via a faceless moniker grin
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Juliearth(f): 10:55am On Nov 27, 2019
mctfopt:

Thank you. I guess this learning never ends grin
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Juliearth(f): 10:56am On Nov 27, 2019
mctfopt:

Thank you. I guess this learning never ends grin

You are welcome. It sure never ends, even colloquials arent left out.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by adanny01(m): 11:04am On Nov 27, 2019
Cmanforall:
Nawa for your mother-in-law o... She oversabi, and what's the need of seeing the doctor on the first instance.

She was just doing the right thing.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by drkay(m): 11:08am On Nov 27, 2019
Jamesilvar:
Thank God for doctors.
Saving lives every second of the day even against all the hate, abuses and hunger!

Only a doctor will see the need to perform surgery with phone light and profuse sweating because of the passion to save lives.

Only a doctor will go about begging for blood from the bank and begging to bill drugs to folders to save lives.

Only a doctor will work 24hrs and still be smiling the next morning as though it's just routine.

Only a doctor will leave his house at night even when not on duty to save lives.

Only a doctor will use his money to treat a patient and hope for the best.

Only a doctor will still have to treat a patient even when they can't afford basic investigations.

Only a doctor will finally take the blame for all the mistakes coming from the lab, pharmacy and the ward.

Only a doctor put himself at risk to be the first point of contact regardless of the disease.

Only a doctor will save your life when you present half dead after you have been messed up by the numerous labs, pharmacies and shrines you have subjected yourself to.
Only a doctor will be struggling save your life even when your relatives have given up on you in the hospital bed.

Only a doctor can save your life last last and when he can't he just hopes the Priest can save your soul!

God bless all the doctors out there saving lives for nothing but a cup of coffee and a thank you smile.
I love you!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 11:22am On Nov 27, 2019
passion007:

Seeing as you know so much about medicine, why don't you just treat yourself??

People go to hospitals to teach doctors and nurses their job, and expect to get a hug and a kiss. Seriously??

The patient should be free to ask questions about their health. The hospital is providing them with a service and its their right to make enquiries about it.

Doctors and nurses shouldnt shut people down when they have legitimate concerns in the name of "stop teaching me my job", its wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by EasternPrince: 11:27am On Nov 27, 2019
midnighter:

The patient should be free to ask questions about their health. The hospital is providing them with a service and its their right to make enquiries about it.

Doctors and nurses shouldnt shut people down when they have legitimate concerns in the name of "stop teaching me my job"

In an ideal world or a western world, yes. In the Zoo that is Nigeria no.

Sorry for the bit of schooling, chatter box. You talk too damn much. Give your ass a rest before you damage something in there. Lol

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by adebopo: 11:33am On Nov 27, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

You think they welcome them and just allow them to touch patients anyhow? They dont have a choice thays why they look at you guys. See that Niggerian woman dr that a boy died in her hands. The questiin everyone was asking was why
they allowed her handle that case without supervision
. You have a biased mind already, let's be objective, you don't even really know what transpired in her case..
We have good and bad Doctors not only in Nigeria but all over the world, just as we have in all other professions as well.
Cheers
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 27, 2019
HBB1:

They are retrained after their passing exams again?

Stop saying what you don't know man!
Yes they are retrained.You think US medical council go just take u like that..and mind u USMLE exam no be beans o.They ask you technical questions.The only way you can pass it very well is take a tutorial programme prior before you write the exam.You can aslo purchase the USMLE aid book and practice it before writing the exam.If you be the type of doctor in nigeria doing rubbish and u say u wan go yankee then i suggest the person just remains in naija cos after all you still comfortable as a doctor in nigeria.if you have to venture out u really have to know your onions.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Correcto: 11:37am On Nov 27, 2019
Backed by the way you insulted another profession, it obvious you just want to play healthcare politics. I am not left in the dark regarding who pathologist is. However, I won't explain who I am just tell you that I have thorough know of who a pathologist is. I won't make any argument or educate you more because you sound inexperienced. " Science will continue to evolve for improvement" I just hope you can understand this.
lebete3000:

So what should the Pathologist do?

Funny enough, there was nothing like Med Lab Scientist before oh, those were the days quality results were being churned out, but to cut costs nowadays, na so dem bring these guys, now na different result you go dey everywhere.

Guys wey no even sabi do blood film sef, guys wey go dey diagnose Typhoid with that irresponsible test called Widal. Na them pollute the average gullible Nigerian mind sey Widal na Typhoid test, not knowing many illnesses can also give an elevated Widal result.

The use of widal is helpful, when used serially with help from the clinical features majorly.

But when hatred for the Nigerian doctor is already established as a foundation, all you tell them enters one ear and goes through the other.

I've always adviced Naija docs that the only way they can be appreciated is to leave the country, people never know the value of what they have until they lose it.

Any naija doc who's spent 5years post graduation and is still in Naija has his/herself to blame for any rubbish being spewed at them by Nigerians.

Nigerians are simply an ungrateful set of people, shikena!
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by koffsman(m): 11:37am On Nov 27, 2019
Am thinking airforce Base but will try there thanks
perdollar:
military hospital yaba
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by thiagoteres(m): 11:37am On Nov 27, 2019
abmart80:
Generally Nigeria Health Sector is a mess. My 16 years old daughter was sick last year, she was referred to Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta from our Private Hospital. On getting there, my wife told me they dont have anything, if you need drug the doctors will be the one to direct you to where to get the drugs, you dont bring the drugs they wont attend to you. After spending some months there she get better and go back home for monthly appointment at the hospital. Later they told my wife that she will need one surgery to undertake for her final treatment. Then when I was around I took her for that appointment one day, I met with the doctors and ask some questions regards the surgery, the doctor direct me to one hospital and told me they just did it for some kid some weeks back, one is 10 years and one is 12 years. I went to the hospital, they told me it will cost me 3.2m.

The when I get back home I went online to research about the surgery and I find out that the surgery can not be done for age lesser than 18 years, then I was confused, because of this I make an appointment for her in the country where I was residing did 3 months visiting visa for her to come and do the surgery. On getting to the country I took her to the hospital for her appointment and they did series of test and xray, then give us another appointment. Then finally on the day of appointment they lecture both of us that the surgery can not be done until she is 18 years, because it will affect her in the future if they did it now. They retained her appointment and told me she should come back after two years for the surgery.

And Nigeria doctors already done same surgery for 10 years and 12 years old kid without telling them what it may cause them and their parents in the future.

May God save us all.
I deeply empathize with your family.It's really difficult managing conditions in children especially those that present with recurrent pain.
There are always exemptions to treatment guidelines and individual needs is a major determinant.
It's safe to assume your daughter had infection in her hip or sickle cell .These are likely reason for joint damage in black children that would require surgery.
Replacement is usually delayed till later in life since bone is still growing and also because of high likelihood of needing a revision surgery due to the life span of the metal implants.That doesn't mean it can't be done earlier.
It's about making a choice between performing replacement earlier to improve quality of life or watching a child in pain and not able to carry out usual daily activities if conservative means fail.
I am not certain the procedure would cost that much in a government facility with the capacity to do it.
Cheers.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by Analog95(m): 11:40am On Nov 27, 2019
DECLAN2015:

It is obvious you are just being emotional because of your baby
Tell us d full story
What eventually is your baby diagnosis
Where did u take him to after that place I believe it not church of herbalist house.

If he was treated by another doctor and he got well
Dont u thinks you were suppose to mention the doctor or the hospital too and praise them

You people tell half story and embellish it to make yourself happy

I already specified what I used there. I said my dad gave me an herb which he referred to as Agbo Iletutu. I didn't visit any other doctor or religious houses. but i'm sure you never read that to comprehend, because you are eager to quote me. please go back and read what I posted again, but this time read it slowly.
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 11:48am On Nov 27, 2019
drlaykay:

You see, most people's comment here is borne out of ignorance.. Some believe the way they think is the way the doctor should think also.
Someone was talking about typhoid and appendicitis which are close in diagnosis. Funnily, the person could actually be having appendicitis and get better on the same antibiotics prescribed for the typhoid and end up not needing surgery.
Some blaming a doctor for adverse drug effect.
Someone said what he had was symptoms of high cholesterol but the doctor said something else. Cholesterol has no specific symptoms.
Someone said the doctor was already giving him drip before the test result which is a standard practice. You don't wait for result most times before administering fluids.

One said he was given ibuprofen for headache by a doctor. So what do u want for an headache he probably think it's primary?
Abrg Nigerians have failed this doctors' effort I must say
One woman went to Facebook to condemn the doctor seeing her relative. Blasted the doctor for giving glucose containing fluid for someone who was suffering from diabetes.
That is a very correct management cos at a point in managing diabetes complications you ensure you add a dextrose fluid because of the insulin. So your patient wont have sudden low sugar which kills faster..

And I wonder why they are only talking about the bad experiences...
95% of my patients leave my office daily saying thank you wholeheartedly...
Doctors propose to the government what should be done to improve the health system and its not done.
Hypocrites will not channel their brunts against the government but the doctors working under terrible conditions...
When they completely leave the country and it gets to a point where u need to kidnap the few remaining in order to answer to your need only then will they undersand.
Or you think oyinbo doctors will strive here? They will fail big time under this harsh condition.
There are bad ones but it's not as bad as it's being stated.
Give kudos when necessary

It's a mixture of ignorance and (rightful) suspicion, which is the hallmark of nearly all public services in Nigeria.

You cant deny the fact that the standard here is sub-par. People often die unnecessarily and plus there is a lot of misinformation concerning public health.

Not to mention the fact that drugs are not properly regulated. You shouldnt be able to wander around drinking drugs whenever you feel like from people who are not even pharmacists.

People dont appreciate what doctors go through, at the same time some doctors have a very crazy attitude. When they emigrate from here to better conditions, they get the right working environment and also learn how to communicate properly
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by jedisco(m): 12:00pm On Nov 27, 2019
abmart80:
Generally Nigeria Health Sector is a mess. My 16 years old daughter was sick last year, she was referred to Federal Medical Centre Abeokuta from our Private Hospital. On getting there, my wife told me they dont have anything, if you need drug the doctors will be the one to direct you to where to get the drugs, you dont bring the drugs they wont attend to you. After spending some months there she get better and go back home for monthly appointment at the hospital. Later they told my wife that she will need one surgery to undertake for her final treatment. Then when I was around I took her for that appointment one day, I met with the doctors and ask some questions regards the surgery, the doctor direct me to one hospital and told me they just did it for some kid some weeks back, one is 10 years and one is 12 years. I went to the hospital, they told me it will cost me 3.2m.

The when I get back home I went online to research about the surgery and I find out that the surgery can not be done for age lesser than 18 years, then I was confused, because of this I make an appointment for her in the country where I was residing did 3 months visiting visa for her to come and do the surgery. On getting to the country I took her to the hospital for her appointment and they did series of test and xray, then give us another appointment. Then finally on the day of appointment they lecture both of us that the surgery can not be done until she is 18 years, because it will affect her in the future if they did it now. They retained her appointment and told me she should come back after two years for the surgery.

And Nigeria doctors already done same surgery for 10 years and 12 years old kid without telling them what it may cause them and their parents in the future.

May God save us all.

So vague. What is the name of the surgery?
Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by midnighter(f): 12:00pm On Nov 27, 2019
Yonce:
You can't compare all those professions you listed above to doctors.
I mean it's human life they deal with.
You CAN'T be too careful.
Most of these complains might be exaggerated but that just serves to remind doctors that they're always going to be under a microscope as long as they practice medicine.

Nah...He has a point

Doctors are a manifestation of the society that produced them. Its somewhat unfair to hold them to a higher standard than the government who messed things up in the first place.

Engineers, architects, police, all those people are also dealing with human life. Not just doctors

If the government would write and enforce good policies, we wouldnt be hearing all these stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors by jedisco(m): 12:10pm On Nov 27, 2019
RonaldoVido:

If a patient complains about you as a doctor abroad, you are finished. The fear of being investigated, suspended or having their practice withdrawn is what keeps Nigerian doctors on their toes abroad.

But they know nothing will happen in Nigeria.

Quality service delivery is anchored on strong supervision and it is lacking in the Nigerian Medical practice.

Absolute garbage!

Patients complain about doctors everyday abroad and an overwhelming majority of complaints are not even investment cos they don't meet the threshold.
You'd hardly see any doctor abroad who has practiced for a long time without a patient raising a complaint

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

6 Healthy Ways To Gain Weight Really Fast / 'Stop Eating Old Groundnuts, It Causes Cancer Of The Liver' - Doctor Warns / Meet Chidiebere Ibe, Bringing Black Illustrations To The Medical Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.