Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,753 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? (19021 Views)

Is It Proper To Borrow Money From Your Boss To Pay Rent / 20 Practical Ways To Improve Oneself In 2020, By Expert / Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 6:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
IDnoble1:
Is it formally acceptable to introduce oneself as Mrs or Miss something when requested?

I have heard some women introducing themselves saying I'm "Mrs this or Miss that" in a formal work place. Is it correct or not to put such titles when introducing oneself?
Very stupid question...

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by nextstep(m): 6:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
tech18:
What should a married man use

Mrss

Missr

grin

Kestolove95 which one are you ?

Funny enough, in times past Master was used for men of rank (e.g master of a trade), or by employees referring to their employer. Over time it became the term used only for young boys. There was bound to be some debate over the appropriate use of master to refer to men in England at some point.

Mister was the default for men (of lower rank), and yet the two words have changed positions. You don't call a grown man Master, and you hardly call a young boy Mister.

Similar (but not quite because of gender inequalities) debates about Ms. Mrs. Miss.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by sacx: 6:47pm On Nov 25, 2019
nextstep:

The same thing that makes you uncomfortable if a 5 year old calls you by your first name without adding brother, uncle, sister, aunty...
By that same logic a 45-year old would feel funny being addressed familiarly by a 25-year old in the office context.

The workplace is not egalitarian (unlike a friendly gathering of peers) - it works best with a hierarchy - so as to avoid conflicts over disagreement in business execution. After all, owners of the business (and their representatives) have different responsibilities and ownership than workers, management, etc.

Then it's totally an individual thing, desired just for the benefit of massaging one's ego and sense of self importance. However, understanding cultural diversity, it is courteous to address people in the way they feel highly esteemed.

I personally don't feel offended when kids address me by my first name. I introduce myself that way all the time.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Dagger111(m): 6:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
adeoba2008:

Am a learner. This land is not for sale.

Guys can I get likes for no reason abeg!

I gives "likes" for a reason.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by greggng: 7:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
IDnoble1:
Is it formally acceptable to introduce oneself as Mrs or Miss something when requested?

I have heard some women introducing themselves saying I'm "Mrs this or Miss that" in a formal work place. Is it correct or not to put such titles when introducing oneself?

I once met a married lady ...one day I addressed her as Mrs Jane....she cautioned me never to do that again....that her husband died long time....that calling her Mrs will scare potential men away from her....on further enquiry I discovered the husband is still a life but ogogoro has rendered him useless
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by ireneidiva(f): 7:20pm On Nov 25, 2019
nextstep:

The same thing that makes you uncomfortable if a 5 year old calls you by your first name without adding brother, uncle, sister, aunty...
By that same logic a 45-year old would feel funny being addressed familiarly by a 25-year old in the office context.

The workplace is not egalitarian (unlike a friendly gathering of peers) - it works best with a hierarchy - so as to avoid conflicts over disagreement in business execution. After all, owners of the business (and their representatives) have different responsibilities and ownership than workers, management, etc.
In some companies, everyone is addressed by their first names.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Originalsly: 7:20pm On Nov 25, 2019
miqos02:

Not necessarily, the person you are introducing yourself to knows you are male/female

Has nothing to do with being male or single. It's about being married or single. FYI.... spend a week in my shoes.....what would you say when a male introduces himself as Mrs Whatever?

@ topic... Not necessary. My name is So N. SO...... If young and hot and sexy and you know men would be trooping and drooling after you.....I am Mrs So N So.... most of you probably know my husband General So N So .... who is in charge of the Terrorists Elimination Squad. So it depends.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by sorepco(m): 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2019
Mrs for married lady

Miss for a younger unmarried lady

Ms for an older unmarried or divorced lady

IDnoble1:

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by pressplay411(m): 7:37pm On Nov 25, 2019
miqos02:
Not necessarily, the person you are introducing yourself to knows you are male/female
Exactly. The title isn't necessary. Unless situation demands it.
But Nigerians seem to feel less accomplished until they are recognised by titles. Pastor, Doctor, Engineer, Mrs, Barrister, Chief, Apostle, etc.
To each his own i guess.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by johnero353(m): 7:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dottore:
Which one are you?

If you are single you dey "Miss" legal rights to courtesy and dedicated dicking and chance to raise legal children when you still can.

If you are married you have many "Misses = Mrs"
You are missing having multiple dicking from different guys without answering to anybody.

You are missing freedom.

You are missing having quickies with random guy at the slightest secluded corner.
You are missing asebi and attending many functions at freewill.
You are missing not being policed by a single individual - Your husband.

...I think you are MISSING the meaning of the question OP ask
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by charlsecy(m): 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
miqos02:
And they also know your marital status?
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by miqos02(m): 7:45pm On Nov 25, 2019
charlsecy:
And they also know your marital status?
why should they care about your marital status? It's your personal life.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by davidtemi(m): 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

This is how to ask for extra sheet and still fail exam
what can I call dis guy mehnn. I owe u sometin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by nextstep(m): 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
sacx:
Then it's totally an individual thing, desired just for the benefit of massaging one's ego and sense of self importance. However, understanding cultural diversity, it is courteous to address people in the way they feel highly esteemed.

I personally don't feel offended when kids address me by my first name. I introduce myself that way all the time.

Fair enough...
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by kalvoken(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

This is how to ask for extra sheet and still fail exam

I swear, you finished the guy.

Very hazardous reply.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by TheRedpillguy: 8:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dottore:
Which one are you?

If you are single you dey "Miss" legal rights to courtesy and dedicated dicking and chance to raise legal children when you still can.

If you are married you have many "Misses = Mrs"
You are missing having multiple dicking from different guys without answering to anybody.

You are missing freedom.

You are missing having quickies with random guy at the slightest secluded corner.
You are missing asebi and attending many functions at freewill.
You are missing not being policed by a single individual - Your husband.
Yep thats a fermenist right there. At least this one is honest and like that. You just miss the part wea you get to 30+ and you look for one thirsty simp and marry and shit in his face.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 25, 2019
miqos02:

Knows that you're female how? Is this about gender or about status?
Miss, and Mrs connotes your marital status not gender.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Ebowo(f): 8:23pm On Nov 25, 2019
sholay2011:
I think sometimes in official settings, women introduce themselves as 'Ms' (which sounds like 'Miss') instead of 'Mrs'. 'Ms' can be for either a 'Miss' or a 'Mrs'.
Ms is for divorced females
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by KenMosi: 9:20pm On Nov 25, 2019
Spacious 4 bedroom bungalow for SALE in ONITSHA, asking price is 16 million naira, the price is negotiable but if you get buyer for 16 million naira, the house owner will give you a commission of Five hundred thousand naira, call/chat the owner on whatsapp via 09032290584 to get more details and pictures of the house.

The house is a very big 4 bedroom bungalow, it has 2 sitting rooms, all the bedrooms has toilet/bath, it has a big kitchen with store, the bigger sitting room has a toilet, the compound has 3 block dog cages and a parking store and generator house with an overhead tank.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by lagosminded: 9:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
safarigirl:
growing up, I learnt that 'Ms' is for women who are either divorced or unmarried at an advanced age.

To be sincere, there is no difference in pronunciation between Ms and Miss

Ms is pronounced Miz

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by lagosminded: 9:23pm On Nov 25, 2019
Ebowo:

Ms is for divorced females
NO. Ms is the equivalent of Mr. started by feminist, they say why should women be identified by their marital status. So, they came up with Ms, which is neutral.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by NiCurious: 10:02pm On Nov 25, 2019
safarigirl:
growing up, I learnt that 'Ms' is for women who are either divorced or unmarried at an advanced age.

To be sincere, there is no difference in pronunciation between Ms and Miss

No, Ms is simply the female equivalent of Mr. It doesn't signify marital status.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by miqos02(m): 10:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
why should anyone care about my marital ststus?
Jewessgratitude:

Knows that you're female how? Is this about gender or about status?
Miss, and Mrs connotes your marital status not gender.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Bigblessed: 11:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
A third party in the meeting or place should be in a better position to introduce you with your title (more respectful and honoured).

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by AntiWailer: 11:29pm On Nov 25, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Nope! Include the correct prefix in the introduction. It helps to keep things formal, at the initial stage.

There are too many mannerless kids in the workplace these days, who lack proper etiquette.

Once a lady introduces herself using just her name, without any prefix, they latch on to that, and start calling the lady by her first name.

If she now protests at the familiarity, people will think she is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Let the person who is introducing herself, be the one to say you can call her by her first name.

What is the problem calling a lady by her first name.

My organization fine u for not addressing people by their first name.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by SavageResponse(m): 7:04am On Nov 26, 2019
miqos02:

You can't always be sure, ask Bobrisky grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by miqos02(m): 8:00am On Nov 26, 2019
SavageResponse:

You can't always be sure, ask Bobrisky grin
lol
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 11:27am On Nov 26, 2019
AntiWailer:
What is the problem calling a lady by her first name.

My organization fine u for not addressing people by their first name.
Unless that lady has given you express permission to call her by her first name, please do not do such a thing. You need to be respectful, and culturally sensitive. undecided

Or else, what will happen when a 35 year old man starts calling a 48 year old woman by her first name? Disrespect will set in. Familiarity breeds contempt.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 11:52am On Nov 26, 2019
sacx:
What in your opinion is wrong with addressing people by their first name?
It breeds disrespect, and familiarity. At the end of the day, it leads to conflict, because familiarity often breeds contempt.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 11:55am On Nov 26, 2019
nextstep:

Gbam! You hit the nail on the head. Thank you! cheesy
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 11:58am On Nov 26, 2019
ireneidiva:

In some companies, everyone is addressed by their first names.
In those companies, there are always exceptions to this rule.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by sacx: 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2019
CeterisXVII:

It breeds disrespect, and familiarity. At the end of the day, it leads to conflict, because familiarity often breeds contempt.

Thank you. But I think it is subjective if we look at it that way. You can address people by their first name and still hold them in high esteem.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Will ICAN Release May 2012 Diet Result? / Why Do Banks Sponsor Employees For Prison Tour? / Payporte Staff Not Paid Salary In Months – Pension And Tax Not Remitted In Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.