Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? (19028 Views)

Is It Proper To Borrow Money From Your Boss To Pay Rent / 20 Practical Ways To Improve Oneself In 2020, By Expert / Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Chrysz(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

This is how to ask for extra sheet and still fail exam
then put it right undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by hollah123: 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
lsainty:
thats a big question

its proper but it
might goes way round for another people
whats d big question here, once u are married it is normal to introduce yourself as Mrs n when single miss. what's d big deal

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by dorox(m): 5:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
If the lady in question is married and still using her maiden name, then it is proper for her to address herself as Miss with the tile Ms. The title Mrs is used by married women that have dropped their maiden name for their husbands surname.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by stevups(m): 5:10pm On Nov 25, 2019
You got married last week Saturday, you referred to yourself as Mrs today in your office. You are well done!
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
Is Miss or Mrs your surname?
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by lessonsoflife: 5:29pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

Understanding is very vital in life.

A teacher once said Some people answer the question before thinking of what the answer would have been.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CanadaOrBust: 5:32pm On Nov 25, 2019
sholay2011:
I think sometimes in official settings, women introduce themselves as 'Ms' (which sounds like 'Miss') instead of 'Mrs'. 'Ms' can be for either a 'Miss' or a 'Mrs'.

Ms. is pronounced “mizz”

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by uuzba(m): 5:34pm On Nov 25, 2019
stevmatt:
Is Miss or Mrs your surname?
It's your formal title.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by uuzba(m): 5:35pm On Nov 25, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Ms. is pronounced “mizz”
..for those that have divorced.
As them Don change to agbalaba, they can't claim miss again
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CanadaOrBust: 5:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
dorox:
If the lady in question is married and still using her maiden name, then it is proper for her to address herself as Miss with the tile Ms. The title Mrs is used by married women that have dropped their maiden name for their husbands surname.

Nonsense. Ms. was invented to be equivalent to Mr. (reasoning: if all men are Mr. married or not, why must women be differentiated). It is pronounced “mizz”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by ableguy(m): 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
No introduce yourself as Mr or Master, so this is now an issue? All these women advocates una no dey tire?
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Boyooosa(m): 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Gracespecial101:
Miss has to do with a Female who is still Single and not yet Married.

While

Mrs happens to be for a Married Female.
It is normal to do so but introducing yourself as Mr being a man is the dumbest thing iv come across severally..
*Modified*
Except in bobrisky's case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by uuzba(m): 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
bereto:
I don't think it's proper to do so
If I introduce myself to you as Mr J. Bruticus, you better call me exactly that. Mr J. Bruticus.

You are not the one that will change my name for me.

That's what Mr and Mrs is about. Claim your ground and stand firm. Not all this nameless directionless leaders and elders we have .
Today he is Jack, tomorrow Mr J....
Never steady. No roots.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by nextstep(m): 5:40pm On Nov 25, 2019
One one hand, it's awkward do self-introduce yourself with a title. I mean, do men say, "My name is Mr." so and so? Or "I'm Dr. so and so"? In that vein I think women won't need to mention their title.

On the other hand, society still makes (unfair, IMHO) distinctions between married and unmarried women (one of the reasons Americans started using Ms.), and women feel the need to clear the air upon first meeting. So do what floats your boat, especially if you don't wear a ring.

As an aside I always get tickled to hear "Chief Mrs." , because we don't say "Chief Mr."

--------------

From the wikipedia article about Ms, and to pause the knee-jerk reaction that it's a modern feminist idea (and therefore bad):

The earliest known proposal for the modern revival of Ms. as a title appeared in The Republican of Springfield, Massachusetts, on November 10, 1901:

There is a void in the English language which, with some diffidence, we undertake to fill. Every one has been put in an embarrassing position by ignorance of the status of some woman. To call a maiden Mrs is only a shade worse than to insult a matron with the inferior title Miss. Yet it is not always easy to know the facts...

Now, clearly, what is needed is a more comprehensive term which does homage to the sex without expressing any views as to their domestic situation, and what could be simpler or more logical than the retention of what the two doubtful terms have in common. The abbreviation Ms is simple, it is easy to write, and the person concerned can translate it properly according to circumstances. For oral use it might be rendered as "Mizz," which would be a close parallel to the practice long universal in many bucolic regions, where a slurred Mis' does duty for Miss and Mrs alike.[4]

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by opray: 5:46pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

As in eh!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by lonelydora: 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2019
IDnoble1:
Is it formally acceptable to introduce oneself as Mrs or Miss something when requested?

I have heard some women introducing themselves saying I'm "Mrs this or Miss that" in a formal work place. Is it correct or not to put such titles when introducing oneself?

Don't you people have the "First name" policy in your organization?
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by statusquoante: 5:54pm On Nov 25, 2019
SmartyPants:

Calm down sir. Her question could be rephrased as such: do you add Mr to your name when you introduce yourself? As in, do you say I am Mr John or do you just say I am John and allow the other person to add the Mr by himself?

Do medical doctors and Ph.D holders introduce themselves as Dr. So so and so

Do engineers introduce themselves as Engr. so so and so

Do surveyors introduce themselves as Surv. so so and so

Do pharmacists introduce themselves as Pharm. so so and so

Do professors introduce themselves as Prof. so so and so

Do pastors introduce themselves as Pastor so so and so

Do royals like introduce themselves as King/Queen so so and so

So why can I introduce myself as Mr Statusquoante as a man by default

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Legendguru: 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
hmmmm
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Kirinwa: 5:59pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by SolarHub(m): 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2019
It's based on marital status na
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 6:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
uuzba:

If I introduce myself to you as Mr J. Bruticus, you better call me exactly that. Mr J. Bruticus.

You are not the one that will change my name for me.

That's what Mr and Mrs is about. Claim your ground and stand firm. Not all this nameless directionless leaders and elders we have .
Today he is Jack, tomorrow Mr J....
Never steady. No roots.
Abeg, I no fit laugh again!! cheesy grin
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 6:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
lonelydora:
Don't you people have the "First name" policy in your organization?
Please that first name policy is not for all companies. One needs to be culturally sensitive. I had a Korean friend abroad who told me, that it was a taboo to call your boss by his full name without adding "Sir," to it.

Nigeria has its own cultural context, and that "first name basis," thing has caused more harm than good, in some places.

My HR friend abolished it in her firm, when she saw it was contributing to the conflict and bad vibes in their office. Now everyone knows his place.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by sacx: 6:10pm On Nov 25, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Nope! Include the correct prefix in the introduction. It helps to keep things formal, at the initial stage.

There are too many mannerless kids in the workplace these days, who lack proper etiquette.

Once a lady introduces herself using just her name, without any prefix, they latch on to that, and start calling the lady by her first name.

If she now protests at the familiarity, people will think she is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Let the person who is introducing herself, be the one to say you can call her by her first name.

What in your opinion is wrong with addressing people by their first name?

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Gracespecial101(m): 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2019
IsraelSongz:

What OP is asking is if it is necessary to add Miss or Mrs to Your name when introducing Yourself formally or just state Your name only.
Owk
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Gracespecial101(m): 6:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
Obabajo:

u no sabi book at all
Brodaly Las Las No be book we go Chop
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Gracespecial101(m): 6:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
Boyooosa:

It is normal to do so but introducing yourself as Mr being a man is the dumbest thing iv come across severally..
*Modified*
Except in bobrisky's case.

That's Deep
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by nextstep(m): 6:17pm On Nov 25, 2019
sacx:

What in your opinion is wrong with addressing people by their first name?

The same thing that makes you uncomfortable if a 5 year old calls you by your first name without adding brother, uncle, sister, aunty...
By that same logic a 45-year old would feel funny being addressed familiarly by a 25-year old in the office context.

The workplace is not egalitarian (unlike a friendly gathering of peers) - it works best with a hierarchy - so as to avoid conflicts over disagreement in business execution. After all, owners of the business (and their representatives) have different responsibilities and ownership than workers, management, etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Gracespecial101(m): 6:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

grin grin grin
Kukuma Kill me na
I never Offend you na

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by nextstep(m): 6:23pm On Nov 25, 2019
safarigirl:
growing up, I learnt that 'Ms' is for women who are either divorced or unmarried at an advanced age.

To be sincere, there is no difference in pronunciation between Ms and Miss

Actually, Ms. is normally pronounced /ˈmɪz/ (stress the z); unlike Miss, which is pronounced /ˈmɪs/

Ms. is the female equivalent to Mr. that has no connotations of marriage (i.e. does not mean unmarried, or divorced, or single, or even married). It just means: female. Just like Mr. means: male.

Miss., Mrs., Ms. were all derived from the word Mistress (used for all women), like Mister. Over time, Mrs. came to connote married, Miss. unmarried, and Ms. sort of stopped being used, until its revival now as a marriage-neutral term, which ironically it has always been.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by blazeahams(m): 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2019
People are perishing
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by tech18: 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2019
What should a married man use

Mrss

Missr

grin

Kestolove95 which one are you ?
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by lonelydora: 6:37pm On Nov 25, 2019
CeterisXVII:

Please that first name policy is not for all companies. One needs to be culturally sensitive. I had a Korean friend abroad who told me, that it was a taboo to call your boss by his full name without adding "Sir," to it.

Nigeria has its own cultural context, and that "first name basis," thing has caused more harm than good, in some places.

My HR friend abolished it in her firm, when she saw it was contributing to the conflict and bad vibes in their office. Now everyone knows his place.

Yes. But ,you can say Ceteris, Sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Banks Sponsor Employees For Prison Tour? / Payporte Staff Not Paid Salary In Months – Pension And Tax Not Remitted In Years / Nigerian Institute Of Safety Professionals - How Relevant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.