Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,709 members, 7,820,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? (19043 Views)

Is It Proper To Borrow Money From Your Boss To Pay Rent / 20 Practical Ways To Improve Oneself In 2020, By Expert / Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by saasala(m): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
Whatever rocks your boat
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by bereto(m): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
I don't think it's proper to do so
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Lilimax(f): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
It is right to use either Miss or Mrs smiley
Just to know your marital status afterall it a one of the criteria in your resume before employment undecided
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Irore: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
IDnoble1:
Is it formally acceptable to introduce oneself as Mrs or Miss something when requested?

I have heard some women introducing themselves saying I'm "Mrs this or Miss that" in a formal work place. Is it correct or not to put such titles when introducing oneself?

Any married woman who introduces herself just as A or B is either ignorant or not satisfied with her husband and has her eye for the next available.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by simplelad(m): 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
In my opinion, it is right to introduce yourself with either miss or mrs. It gives the other person the sense of interraction at the begining. Especially guys who are naughty will be able to caution their steps if the person in catact is a MRS. But for a miss you can flow anyhow with her.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
During partie : Miss
After partie: Mrs

Like if u can decode

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Donkelzy(m): 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
MISS has to do with single ladies, while Mrs married women.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by LordKO(m): 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
Ms. as portmanteau of Mrs. and Miss is better - it's proper, but it's not mandatory.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by safarigirl(f): 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
sholay2011:
I think sometimes in official settings, women introduce themselves as 'Ms'(which sounds like 'Miss') instead of 'Mrs'. 'Ms' can be for either a 'Miss' or a 'Mrs'.
growing up, I learnt that 'Ms' is for women who are either divorced or unmarried at an advanced age.

To be sincere, there is no difference in pronunciation between Ms and Miss

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Divay22(f): 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2019
itsme01:
cool

its your choice what you introduce your self by, but sometimes you have just one chance at presenting and introducing yourself

And it's an impression that you just might not have a chance to correct again.
Do it once, Do it right!
Besides it takes nothing away from you but rather add some little things.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Bobrisky1: 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2019
[s]
itsme01:
cool

its your choice what you introduce your self by, but sometimes you have just one chance at presenting and introducing yourself

[/s]
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 4:52pm On Nov 25, 2019
wonuks:
It depends on what's obtainable at your workplace. Personally, i think adding miss or mrs isn't necessary especially if you are wearing a wedding ring for the married ladies.
It is necessary, before one 20 year old intern, decides to call a 45 year old female manager by her first name, simply because the older lady introduced herself without a prefix.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by safarigirl(f): 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2019
simplelad:
In my opinion, it is right to introduce yourself with either miss or mrs. It gives the other person the sense of interraction at the begining. Especially guys who are naughty will be able to caution their steps if the person in catact is a MRS. But for a miss you can flow anyhow with her.
you should be respectful with anyone you meet, irrespective of their marital status.

Just because a person is unmarried, does not mean you can flow anyhow with her, in fact, some people flow easier with married women than single ones. And a naughty guy doesn't care about the marital status of a woman he wants to flirt with

9 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by mechanics(m): 4:54pm On Nov 25, 2019
Is not a bad idea, some may not raise eyebrows but others will, introducing oneself as Mrs or Miss will give them a brief description about you, before going into details.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by wonuks(m): 4:54pm On Nov 25, 2019
CeterisXVII:

It is necessary, before one 20 year old intern, decides to call a 45 year old female manager by her first name, simply because the older lady introduced herself without a prefix.
The intern dey mad? The female manager is she not wearing her wedding ring?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by sylve11: 4:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
statusquoante:
These new world order people have come again... angry

For chrissake, what is wrong in a woman introducing herself as Miss or Mrs

Next thing, they will say married women should not wear wedding rings so that committing adultery/fornication with them in the work place will be a normal no holds barred thing.

Nonsense!

their matter tire me pass nigerian government matter. undecided cool
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 4:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
statusquoante:

Next thing, they will say married women should not wear wedding rings so that committing adultery/fornication with them in the work place will be a normal no holds barred thing.

Nonsense!
So you sef don see am? shocked When I first saw the question, I wondered why anyone should bring up such a mundane, inane and inconsequential question on a public site. This is a question that should have been trashed out at secondary school level.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 4:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
IsraelSongz:
What OP is asking is if it is necessary to add Miss or Mrs to Your name when introducing Yourself formally or just state Your name only.
It is such a silly question....

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Obabajo(m): 4:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Gracespecial101:
Miss has to do with a Female who is still Single and not yet Married.

While

Mrs happens to be for a Married Female.

u no sabi book at all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by pek(m): 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Very proper especially when you are in an official setting.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CsRockefeller(m): 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Obabajo:

u no sabi book at all

Elucidate please.
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by AntiWailer: 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Cnt u stay alone ?

Which one is Mrs or Miss.

Mention your first name and last name and move on

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by itsme01: 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Divay22:

And it's an impression that you just might not have a chance to correct again.
Do it once, Do it right!
Besides it takes nothing away from you but rather add some little things.

you said it all.. "do it once do it right" , only you can sell yourself
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fentanyl:

This is how to ask for extra sheet and still fail exam
Savage!

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2019
wonuks:

The intern dey mad? The female manager is she not wearing her wedding ring?
Is it everybody that wears a wedding ring? The 45 year old woman may be divorced, but could still be bearing her ex-husband's name, for the sake of her kids. Or she might even be a widow....

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by qanda: 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2019
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by UrVillagePpl: 5:01pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dottore:
Which one are you?

If you are single you dey "Miss" legal rights to courtesy and dedicated docking and chance to raise raise legal children when you still can.

If you are married you have many "Misses = Mrs"
You are missing having multiple docking from different guys with our answering to anybody.

You are missing freedom.

You are missing having quickies with random guy at the slightest secluded corner.
You are missing asebi and attending many functions at freewill.
Your missing not being policed by a single individual. Your husband.

I just hope u find sense at last
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by Bobrisky1: 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
[s]
itsme01:

you said it all.. "do it once do it right" , only you can sell yourself
[/s]
Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by SmartyPants(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
statusquoante:

Nonsense!

Calm down sir. Her question could be rephrased as such: do you add Mr to your name when you introduce yourself? As in, do you say I am Mr John or do you just say I am John and allow the other person to add the Mr by himself?

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by panpan(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
safarigirl:
growing up, I learnt that 'Ms' is for women who are either divorced or unmarried at an advanced age.

To be sincere, there is no difference in pronunciation between Ms and Miss

Ms does not depend on marital status and can be used for all women.

Ms is pronounced (miz).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? by CeterisXVII: 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2019
AntiWailer:
Cnt u stay alone ?

Which one is Mrs or Miss.

Mention your first name and last name and move on
Nope! Include the correct prefix in the introduction. It helps to keep things formal, at the initial stage.

There are too many mannerless kids in the workplace these days, who lack proper etiquette.

Once a lady introduces herself using just her name, without any prefix, they latch on to that, and start calling the lady by her first name.

If she now protests at the familiarity, people will think she is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Let the person who is introducing herself, be the one to say you can call her by her first name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

As A Fresh Graduate Is Relocating To Canada For Msc Better Than Getting A Job / Why Do Banks Sponsor Employees For Prison Tour? / Nigerian Institute Of Safety Professionals - How Relevant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.