Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,968 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation (50203 Views)

The Weird World Of Teenage Cultists In Edo State Nigeria / Which Village Are You From? Represent Your Village Here / Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Tornadoz(m): 2:46am On Jun 21, 2007
@laudate
And is it true that among all the subjects of the Oba of Benin, the Ora people are exempted from postrating, or kneeling or bowing before the Oba, because they believe that 'they & the Oba are one'?
Na lie be that ooooo thats a myth started by Ora people. Lol
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2007
Give me a heart beat

"Dum dum"

A heart beat

"Dum dum"

Give me a hand

"Clap clap"

A hand

"Clap clap"

Give me a greeting

"Domo, wa domo"

A greeting

"Edo domo, wa domo"

Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by edobabe(f): 11:03pm On Jun 21, 2007
@Ajadrage-bo dia ye?
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 12:44pm On Jun 22, 2007
Edobabe my sister, ofure. Hope you're doin ok too
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 1:53pm On Jun 22, 2007
omo Esan, omo Edo doo!!.

ena mie? egbe dan ee?

grin
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 1:50pm On Jun 23, 2007
Lets all join our voices and wish His Royal Majesty, Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpo, Oba Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin Kingdom a happy birthday. Oba gha to okpere, ise
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 3:46pm On Jun 23, 2007
When is the Oba Erediawa's brithday?

Questions: Does the Esans, Owans and Estako take Oba Erediawa as their Oba? Since he is consider the Oba of Benin not Edo state.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2007
A sad ajadrage:

There is some situation going on in our Benin City, it is the issue of cult related clashes. For some decades now, there has been a proliferation of these groups and their conduct and actions has been a source of concern to all good people not only within the city but statewide and even nationwide. There is no point here tracing the history and evolution of this menace, but their founding fathers has sought to justify their existenceb ut the realities of their present menace is one that has left all speechless. Rather than apportioning blames here, we endeavour to seek for a solution that will put a stop, or at least manage the negative and often violent antics of these young men and women.

Right now within the city, young men live in palpable fear of the unknown as even mistaken identities has been known to have led to the brutal murders of many. There is a noticeable migration of young men away from the city albeit temporarily, just to avoid being a victim of some disgruntled miscreants. These migrations are carried out both by members of the warring groups involved and innocent people who are known to be acquintances, friends or relatives of members of these groups.

As of this weekend, the death toll has hit double digits and the war continues unabated. It is worthy of note that while these young men maim and kill themselves in Benin City, their leaders are elsewhere conducting their affairs without calling their soldiers to order. After much harm has been done, one hears of some peace meeting somewhere where issues are settled and trashed out. This opinion is a call to duty of the various security agencies to rise up to their responsibilities and treat these miscreants as criminals as one is not even allowed to take his own life talkless of the life of another.

It is the duty of all, from parents to guardians, friends and loved ones of these characters to let them know the futility of settling scores thorugh violence. I wonder the possibilities that will arise if the energy of these idle young minds are channelled to positive use, what a formidable army that would be that should champion the cause of developement and a sustainable way of life for the majority of Edo indigenes. This is our land, let not foreign tendencies come between us and the brotherhood we share. Most of these people have blood relatives in other camps, should I take up arms against my brother due to a misguided affiliation to colour or a superficial and ambigious loyalty to some cause that is hazily defineed. Ther is only one rational answer for this, a capital and resounding NO!

This is our land, lets love the land and the peoples in it
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by mohadana: 1:51am On Jun 26, 2007
Afenmai or Afemai is an ethnic group living in the northern part of Edo State of Nigeria.

Afenmai or Afemai people occupy six local government areas of Edo state, these are Etsakor-East, with headquarters in Agenebode, Etsakor central and West, Owan east & west including Akoko-Edo, and these make up the Edo-North Senatorial District.[citation needed]

Afemai as an Ethnic group is subdivided into different dialects, but they generally speak and understand each other.[citation needed]

[edit] History
Afemai people in the past were farmers, and historical accounts claimed that they migrated from Benin City, during the tyrannical rule of Oba Ewuare, who was the greatest warrior legend and the most outstanding king in the history of Benin Empire.[citation needed] “The title Ewuare (Oworuare), meaning it is cool or the trouble has ceased” and as a result the war is over.[citation needed] The title symbolizes an epoch of reconciliation, reconstruction and the return of peace among the warring factions in Benin between 1435-1440 AD.

It was shortly after this critical period of war that Akalaka and his two sons Ekpeye and Ogba migrated further southeast to first settle at Ula-Ubie, and subsequently other groups moved out of Benin City and migrated northward.[citation needed] Although it has recently become clear, that there were people living in Afemailand, prior to the migration from Benin City.

Some of the most celebrated Sons/Daughters of Afemailand both in the past and present are the Late Pa Michael Imoudu from Sabogida-Ora, who was a foremost labour leader and founder of the Nigeria state, the late Gen. George Agbazika Innih from Agenebode,who was one time the Military Governor of Bendel and Kwara States, Adams Oshiomhole, the past president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Pa Johnson Jimoh Iyere, Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi,(chairman/ceo Africa Independent Television), Chief Inu Umoru, chairman/CEO, Setraco Ltd, Vice Admiral Mike Akhigbe who attained the position of defacto vice-president in the regime of Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar.[citation needed]

[edit] Governance
The Afemais do not have a central traditional ruler, but some of the prominent traditional institutions and Rulers in Afemai land are the Okumagbe of Weppa-Wanno (Agenebode), Ogieneni of Uzairue (Jattu), Otaru of Auchi,Oba of Agbede, Otaru of Igarra etc. Afemai have produced a lot of illustrous personalities in both National and International levels.[citation needed]

Tourist attractions, which span the expanse of Afemai, are exemplified by the Ise Lake in Agenebode (Weppa Wanno clan) Etsakor East and the Somorika hills in Akoko Edo.[citation needed] Somorika hills consist of an extended expanse of hills crowned by massive boulders perched precariously on the summits of hills and alongside seemingly inadequate locations on the sides.

Some of the most important towns/clans in Afemai land are Agenebode(Weppa-Wanno), Weppa, Emokweme, Auchi, Afuze,Iviukwe, Agbede, sabongidda-Ora, Igarra, Ekperi, Jattu, Fugar, Aviele, Okpella, Iviukhua, Ososo, Uzanu, Uzebba, Okpella, Somorika etc.[citation needed]

The autonomous clans/kingdoms in Afemai land are currently administratively arranged as follows under the current Six local government areas:

(1) Etsakor East LGA, Agenebode:

Agenebode,Emokweme,Iviukhua,Okpella, Okpekpe, Ibie
(2) Etsakor Central LGA, Fugar:

Fugar,Ekperi,Ogbona,Anegbette
(3) Estakor West LGA, Auchi:

Auchi, Agbede,Jattu,Afashio,Aviele
(4) Owan East LGA, Afuze

Afuze,Ihevbe
(5) Owan West LGA, Sabogidda Ora:

Sabongidda Ora,Luleha Clan
(6) Akoko Edo LGA, Igarra

Igarra,Ososo, Somorika,
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afemai"
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by mohadana: 8:30pm On Jun 26, 2007
Ava Cement: Igbinedion’s parting gift

Chief Lucky Igbinedion (bending),
ex-governor of Edo State, with Chinese
investors, when he laid the foundation
of Ava Cement Company in Akoko Edo
Local Government Area of the state. Uchechukwu Olisah writes on the ongoing construction work of a cement company in a remote village in Edo State and its likely economic benefits to the community and the state in general.

A major industrial revolution is underway in Edo State. This is courtesy of the ongoing construction of 2500 tons per day clinker cement factory and two by 10MW captive gas turbine power plant as well as associated facilities in the sleepy, hilly and rusty village of Egbigere in Akoko Edo Local Government Area of the state.

The cement factory is the outcome of a joint commitment, which the Edo State Government during the administration of the immediate past governor, Chief Lucky Igbinedion, entered into with the New Era Group of China in 2005.

The evaluation report of the Edo State Ministry of Environment and Solid Minerals informed the establishment of the cement factory through its consultants on limestone and gypsum deposits in Edo North Senatorial District of the state. It is estimated that there are 6.4 billion tons of limestone and 526 million tons of gypsum deposits in the North of the state.

Besides, principal raw materials such as clay, shale and gypsum, which are needed for the manufacture of cement, are found in Warrake, a town close to the site of the cement factory.

Going by the joint letter of commitment it signed with the Chinese investors, the Edo State government assisted with feasibility studies, particularly in the area of data and local research, mineral surveys, all regulatory approvals, compensations to community, ownership documentation for land/site, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) studies, local cost of feasibility studies and contribution of 15 per cent of the financial aspect of the project.

To underline the seriousness attached to the project and in order to complete some of the activities, especially the feasibility studies necessary for the taking off of the construction of the factory, which goes by the operational name Ava Cement, the Chinese consortium financing and executing the project visited the factory location, mineral sites, different stakeholders in Edo State and indeed Nigeria on four occasions.

In addition, a 12-man delegation from China worked with the local technical committee set up by the Edo State Government and two consultant professors from the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife and Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, for six months to gather data and prepare the pro-forma feasibility studies. The Louyoung Cement Research Institute, China, put the final feasibility study for the project together.

With the completion of all pre-contract signing activities and the acceptance of the feasibility study by all stakeholders, the Chinese investors offered a proposal for project development, financing and ownership. The result was the signing of a firm investment contract by all stakeholders on 1st November 2006 in Beijing, China.

So, the stakeholders mandated New Era Engineering Corporation to carry out an Engineering, Procurement and Commissioning (EPC) of a 2500 ton per day cement plant to be established in two phases with power plants, which would be fuelled by natural gas.

Other associated facilities that will come on stream with the Ava Cement project are a modern office complex, 150 units housing estate with clinics, shopping mall, community centre, water treatment equipment and the renovation of the Edo State Government moribund Ojirami Water works and dam.

Moreover, all the raw materials needed for the operations of the factory will be obtained from Edo North axis of the state, where the limestone will be mined within a perimeter of four kilometres from the factory premises. Ava Cement is expected to sell both bagged and bulky cement to buyers.

The construction and eventual take off of production by the company are expected to give rise to the growth of ancillary services, as packaging materials would be bought locally from bag manufacturers.

Indeed, the feasibility study, according to the stakeholders, which include the Edo State Government and the China No.17 Metallurgical Construction Company Limited, referred to as 17MCC-financier and contractor of the cement plant, shows that excess capacity still exists in the bag manufacturing industry, otherwise investors would have set up a plant for making bags.

Questions have been raised as to the project’s financial health. But the stakeholders have been quick to explain that the pro-forma financial statements and the financial analysis show that all indicators, including internal finance profit rate among others are sound and the project has the strong wherewithal to service debts, make good returns to the investors and resist risk.

At the cement factory’s foundation laying ceremony on 17 May 2007, the then governor, Igbinedion, said the people of Akoko Edo are lucky to have the factory sited in their locality. He advised the people of the local government area to seize the opportunities, particularly those of employment and others, which are economic and commercial in nature, being created by the location of the factory in their area.

Igbinedion had emphasised that for them to fully utilise such opportunities, youths in the locality must be educated so that they can not just be employable but also function meaningfully in the broad spectrum of activities to be set off by the Ava Cement Company’s eventual commencement of full operations. Igbinedion explained that he had no doubt in his mind that the new administration in the state will give the Chinese investors the support they need.

Also speaking on the occasion, a representative of the Chinese investors, Mr. Su Nelson, assured that the project as envisioned would be completed within two years, and that among their objectives is the need to give a boost to Nigeria’s economic development.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by laudate: 6:32pm On Jul 02, 2007
May God never allow a non-performing governor like Lucky Igbinedion, to ever smell Edo State Governor's House again, talk less of ruling the entire state! Can I get an Amen from somebody?? wink
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 7:46pm On Jul 02, 2007
Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Aminnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Aseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by laudate: 7:52pm On Jul 02, 2007
omoge:

Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Aminnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Aseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

God bless you my sista!
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 9:49pm On Jul 05, 2007
I heard that he really neglected Edo state. That is really bad. Lots of bad road. They said he is building an estate that is almost a quarter mile walk. We need a responsible Governor that will take the responsibility and rebuild that State. We all should stand for a better Edo state.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ebeledi(m): 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2007
naija wouldnt even exist without rivers where the money comes from
RIVERS STATE IS THE TRUE HEART BEAT OF THE NATION in all ways round

dont know better ask somebody
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by harkinolar: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2007
sup do babe
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Elaine(f): 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2007
@ Mohadana:

Thanks a lot for the info! You've given me a whole lot more reasons to love my state more. I'm esan but I dont live there so I dont really know much about the place and the language but I really wanna get in touch with my roots. Thanks again,Edo peeps rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
Elaine, bokhain o. wink
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Elaine(f): 4:23pm On Jul 27, 2007
Bokhain? is that an edo word or a slang? I'm so bad,see my life.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 5:45pm On Jul 27, 2007
Bokhian is a greeting. It means 'Welcome'
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2007
A lot of young Edo folks abroad don't know how to speak the language. I guess their parents never really thought them, even while still in Nigeria. That is one thing Igbos and Yorubas are good at, teaching their children the native language.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Elaine(f): 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2007
Thanks Kojeiwa. It's not really my parents faults,they are not from the same tribe,my mom is half ibo and french and my dad is half edo and brass but it's the edo blood that runs the strongest in all of us,that's why I love the place so much. Think I'm gonna learn some interesting stuff on this thread. If anyone could help me with the rudiments,you know,hello,how are you,did you sleep well etc etc, I'd really appreciate it.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
you sleep well = u wei nosen

how are you= bo diaye

reply= ofure or O dia nosen or Ormien

open for spelling correction o wink
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Gamine(f): 7:25pm On Jul 27, 2007
im Uneme

From Akoko Edo

Agbe no = Good morning

Kinako = Good evening or goodbye

marota = good afternoon or welcome

i love my STATE

EDO STATE ROCKS!!!!! grin grin
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 11:34pm On Jul 27, 2007
This is the way it should be done people, we be there for each other. Elaine, nice to know you still want to identify with your roots. But mind you, don't swallow everything you read or hear up in here hook line and sinker as evryone wants to claim ethno tribal superiority, but the truth is that we all of the Edo stock. Esan, your space in Edoland covers about five local government areas, Ubiaja, Uromi, Ekpoma, Irrua and Igueben. There also exists other major towns like Iruekpen, Ugboha, Ivue, Arue etc. Each domain is headed ny an Onojie, who is like a traditional king, but the constitution of Nigeria gives political authority to the Local government chairman.

Benin City the capital of Edo state is regarded as the heartbeat of the nation, but it could really be more. The wellcome word is "obokhian" mind you. And that is what I say to you as we all wellcome a sister to the Edo thread.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 1:47am On Jul 28, 2007
Ajadrage, ever been to Ugboha side of Edo? or Iruekphen? wink
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by ajadrage: 11:36am On Jul 30, 2007
Omoge, I ain't never been to Ugboha sha, but I dey play enter iruekpen sometimes while I went visiting friends at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. Iruekpen shares a boundary with the universoty town. Why do you ask?
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 9:38pm On Aug 02, 2007
I checked it out. That is a nice get away spot. A place couples can go and just chill, relax and have fun.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by Gamine(f): 4:05pm On Aug 07, 2007
instead of the poster to say

if u are Bini or ishan, represent

frickin tribalists!
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by texazzpete(m): 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2007
I've read all the posts here, and while i don't share Gamine's opinion completely, i think we should try and stick to the topic (which calls for all people from Edo State) and not just blather on and on about one or two major tribes.

Just my two cents. . .
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by omoge(f): 9:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
@ Gamine

Bini, ishan etc it's all Edo state. Maybe the poster was trying to make it broad to get more posts. I'm not sure though.
Re: If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation by kojeiwa(m): 10:25pm On Aug 07, 2007
Omoge you are right. We are all from Edo state. There is more to Edo state than just Bini and Esan. We have Bini, ishan, Afamai, Estako, Owan. Our language is just slightly different and slight difference in culture. We shouldn't segregate ourselves. So I thought i use Edo State.

@Gamine, Ishans are Edos too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Sango Olukoso / Man Puts Python In His Mouth In Osun State (Photos) / I Want To Learn Some Yoruba Basic Words And Phrases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.