Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others (59113 Views)

Give Us Free Hand To Wipe Out Terrorists, Army Tells Governors / Ngige: Rising Unemployment Can Wipe Out Nigeria, Elite Unsafe / A List Of Power Stations In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Digitalstarlite: 7:30pm On Dec 09, 2019
Seun:
We are not ready for nuclear power. Not until we have the ability to regulate it without corruption and terrorism has been totally eradicated.
True talk bro
No one knows the interior motive of Russia on this project, now DAT dey are ban 4 4year from sport activities and ban from 2022 world cup host. But we if we remember dey have bad character DAT dey have done in d past and now wit our hearing that Turkey finance boko haram ammunitions...anything spirit can just enter dose Boko haram boys and go and blow the nuclear plants...and let's look at it well we don't have a maintenance culture in Nigeria.

It seems dey FG need a gigantic protect to end dis project of $80b money that Russia want to collect....this people c DAT we have so many natural resources DAT are unravelled in Nigeria..

Look at it well....so many renewable resources DAT we can use freely to generate electricity like solar, wind, water, refuse and biogas...we didn't look dere. But to finance Russia economy.

We need young minds to manage dis country and not old people...take a look at how our father react to things when they are old...

Nigerians let b wise...so many things are evolving globally.

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by lexy2014: 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
sulasa07:

Another means for our politifcians to make more billion dollars

Ooh...I get u now?
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by DedeNkem: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nigerians hardly maintain anything, so having a nuke is like committing a suicide!

Nigeria is too incompetent and corrupt to have nuke! There are safer alternatives!

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by KingOfAmebo(m): 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2019
lexy2014:

So how do things work?

Solution: Go back to school, that's were you learn how things work...Dundee united captain.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
sulasa07:

It was USA that dropped an atomic bomb there.
Around 100k people died there and lots more battled with radiation diseases.
Nigeria losing 100k people still wont matter out of 200 million+

Man nobody should have to die except dirty politicians.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by KingOfAmebo(m): 8:00pm On Dec 09, 2019
Seun:
We are not ready for nuclear power. Not until we have the ability to regulate it without corruption and terrorism has been totally eradicated.

Sean take time ooo, NO country in the world has eradicated corruption or terrorism... This is not an excuse to a proffered solution in time of an urgent need to get us out of this power mess. Abi you like living in darkness ni?

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by WriterX(m): 8:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nuclear Holocaust the beginning of the end , Russia has had the worst history of nuclear accidents , the truth is we neither have the means to maintain it or make it happen ,I have studied and read documentaries on nuclear accidents lol trust me if it happens trust me the after math of nuclear radioactive exposure is worst than the accident .
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by tosinet(m): 8:05pm On Dec 09, 2019
obidark:

and how long do you still need....??

when you think solar can give enough power for 200million people,then you dont know much....

una want ghana,benin,uganda,rwanda to bypass us....??

they are already draggin matters with us now already....!!

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Legendguru: 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by sulasa07(m): 8:17pm On Dec 09, 2019
Tajbol4splend:

Man nobody should have to die except dirty politicians.
The king and his parliament never died, just around 20000 soldiers died + 80000 Innocent civilians and the king resigned from his post.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by chewwie(m): 8:19pm On Dec 09, 2019
Reference:

That is not what caused the Chernobyl accident. It was caused by a improperly conducted test of the shutdown mechanism. It was human error. The reactors in question were old 40's and 50's designs.

I didn't say the incident occured in the 40's. It occured as a result of a design protocul that was hidden behind the soviet union when there was no peer review or vetting by the IAEA.

All modern nuclear plants are open to international scrutiny, their designs vetted by the IAEA and Russia's designs are more in tune with western concepts.
The test was going wrong and they were supposed to shutdown the nuclear reactor using the control rod which were supposed to be made with boron, rather it was made with a positive catalyst with graphite. It wasn't human error as much as it was manufacturing error caused by the incompetent government and that led to the collapse of the USSR. And come to think of it, if we haven't gotten hydroelectricity, coal and other fossil fuel powered electricity right in Nigeria, is it na nuclear power we'll get right? And we lack maintenance culture in Nigeria, it'll be a disaster
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 09, 2019
“At $80 billion, it costs over 30 times the cost of building alternative energy sources of Solar and Hydropower.

this is the most important from the post

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 09, 2019
ajl:
Nigeria public officials are a joke. They do not have a clue what a nuclear power plant mean. I know the clamour for this has been going on for some time without serious environmental impact assessment, not to talk about public consultation for siting the plants. They think this is petroleum where spills can be tolerated. Studies have to be done to the point of knowing if the subsoil in the sites has microorganisms that can transform radioactive metals like uranium, etc. There are entire cities in Russia now that are completely "dead" with no human living there because of exposure to radiation due to nuclear disaster. People that cannot monitor ordinary oil companies want to monitor nuclear plants by potentially crooked Russians. This is not funny at all. We should all start what's called "Not in my backyard campaign (NIMBY).

“At $80 billion, it costs over 30 times the cost of
building alternative energy sources of Solar and
Hydropower.

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by lexy2014: 8:51pm On Dec 09, 2019
KingOfAmebo:

Solution: Go back to school, that's were you learn how things work...Dundee united captain.

Since u went to school, I was expecting u will share what u learnt, that is, if u learnt anything
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Reference(m): 9:14pm On Dec 09, 2019
chewwie:

The test was going wrong and they were supposed to shutdown the nuclear reactor using the control rod which were supposed to be made with boron, rather it was made with a positive catalyst with graphite. It wasn't human error as much as it was manufacturing error caused by the incompetent government and that led to the collapse of the USSR. And come to think of it, if we haven't gotten hydroelectricity, coal and other fossil fuel powered electricity right in Nigeria, is it na nuclear power we'll get right? And we lack maintenance culture in Nigeria, it'll be a disaster

Oga, it was human error that led to the Chernobyl incident. Stop the argument. The shut down drill had been practiced many times previously with no problems.

Yes, the plant was not up to western standards but it worked well for many years. All industrial processes have their risks.

I will tell you this categorically. There are currently over 400 nuclear power plants operating in the world and over 600 have been built all time. Out of this only three have had a major incident and only 1 led to significant loss of life.

Compare that to the number of lives lost in refinery fires, coal mining tragedies, pipeline and rig explosions, it is insignificant. Outside renewables nuclear power is by far the safest means of power generation and by far the best means to protect the environment.

But just like air travel nuclear tragedies make for very bad press and rhe scaremongering surrounding it. The major fear of the west is not safety but the ethics behind the storage or disposal of spent fuel but with Elon Musk's heavy lifting space ships coming on line the costs of space disposal will come within economic reach.

There is also safe fission technology coming on line that doesn't require fuel enrichment, runaway reactions and produces far less toxic waste . The science is hard but breakthroughs will be seen in a decade or so. Oil will definitely die long term. We better get thinking.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Reference(m): 9:20pm On Dec 09, 2019
marvelphysics:
“At $80 billion, it costs over 30 times the cost of
building alternative energy sources of Solar and
Hydropower.

The popular cost analysis gives an average of 8 billion dollars for 1000 megawatts. Nuclear power like renewables are heavily front loaded but they last very long with practically no downtime. They pay off very well in the long term.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Emanodimo(m): 9:27pm On Dec 09, 2019
This should be well cited in the North not in the South....There is enough land mass that are already wasted with low density population in the North...
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by pacespot(m): 9:33pm On Dec 09, 2019
Whether we like to manage the cost or not, nuclear energy is the future, other energy sources (wind, hydro, thermal, solar, etc.) are limited. We are now envisaging nuclear fussion which will break the barrier of the world's energy shortage and push human civilization to an unprecedented level.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by VanEFCC: 9:38pm On Dec 09, 2019
slimfit1:
As long as it's not in my village I'm ok. However, if they want to build it in your village na your problem be that. We cant maintain a plane you want to play with nuclear energy Hausa people with their cluelessness is dangerous to human survival.
Abeg , I Must say oooo , Instead of Reading Latest Nigeria News i prefer listening to Good Top Naija Songs Biko ooooo

A power plant in Wales have been closed for years. It generates nothing to the grid, yet employees more than hundreds of people, another hundred years to clean it up. Jesus do these people know what they are playing with at all. Niger people please carry on with your lanterns and generators.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by chewwie(m): 9:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
Reference:

Oga, it was human error that led to the Chernobyl incident. Stop the argument. The shut down drill had been practiced many times previously with no problems.

Yes, the plant was not up to western standards but it worked well for many years. All industrial processes have their risks.

I will tell you this categorically. There are currently over 400 nuclear power plants operating in the world and over 600 have been built all time. Out of this only three have had a major incident and only 1 led to significant loss of life.

Compare that to the number of lives lost in refinery fires, coal mining tragedies, pipeline and rig explosions, it is insignificant. Outside renewables nuclear power is by far the safest means of power generation and by far the best means to protect the environment.

But just like air travel nuclear tragedies make for very bad press and rhe scaremongering surrounding it. The major fear of the west is not safety but the ethics behind the storage or disposal of spent fuel but with Elon Musk's heavy lifting space ships coming on line the costs of space disposal will come within economic reach.

There is also safe fission technology coming on line that doesn't require fuel enrichment, runaway reactions and produces far less toxic waste . The science is hard but breakthroughs will be seen in a decade or so. Oil will definitely die long term. We better get thinking.
Oghene! I have watched the documentary, plus the human error, had the reactor been built properly, it'd had shutdown and the explosion wouldn't have happened. Why did they put boron and silicon inside the exposed nuclear fuel? Yeah, to slow the reaction down. Had the control rods been made with boron instead of graphite, there wouldn't have been an explosion!
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by obidark: 9:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
nigeria must go nuclear....we have no other choice....

with nigerias rapidly growin population,what chance do you people think you have,to catch up with demand
with solar panels....??
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by obidark: 9:45pm On Dec 09, 2019
i dont see akwa ibom people complainin here....??

soo,who are the people realy complainin here....??
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 09, 2019
Disadvantages of nuclear power generation:
The problem of radioactive waste is still an unsolved one. The waste from nuclear energy is extremely dangerous and it has to be carefully looked after for several thousand years (10'000 years according to United States Environmental Protection Agency standards)

Advantages of Nuclear Energy
1 Relatively Low Costs. The initial construction costs of nuclear power plants are large. ...
2 Base Load Energy. Nuclear power plants provide a stable base load of energy. ...
3 Low Pollution. ...
4 Thorium. ...
5 Sustainable? ...
6 High Energy Density. ...
1 Accidents Happen. ...
2 Radioactive Waste.

It truly a death warrant for Nigerians. If this ever commence, Buhari brothers from d
Daura who are willingly and ready to die at all time, will used it to end the life of other innocent including themselves. Buhari won't be there forever to protect them, so it a deal to put Nigerians on the hook. Did you read the 10,000 years for safe guarding the waste?
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 09, 2019
Vladimir Putin had already said Africa especially Nigeria is a burial ground for Africans, so he supported it because they wish to wipe us out. They don't mean good for Nigeria any day. They're always ready to sign deal, as long they get money or crude in return. Putin is wicked
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by obidark: 10:52pm On Dec 09, 2019
Blyzz:
Vladimir Putin had already said Africa especially Nigeria is a burial ground for Africans, so he supported it because they wish to wipe us out. They don't mean good for Nigeria any day. They're always ready to sign deal, as long they get money or crude in return. Putin is wicked

their are companies that store nuclear waste....

a italian told me,the biggest business in the world is waste management....

i dont know how true that is though....
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by obidark: 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
Blyzz:

sorry,i quoted the wrong person....
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2019
obidark:

their are companies that store nuclear waste....

a italian told me,the biggest business in the world is waste management....

i dont know how true that is though....
I hope you live in Nigeria, otherwise your response won't make my day tonight. Is there any reliable waste management in Nigeria? Can they do their job very well? I live in Delta State, people finds it difficult to pay for their disposal because of unemployment, how well can this waste be managed even if Russia are to maintain it and do the waste themselves. Kindly don't look it from one angle. It a good development, but the risk is very high and deadly. Any terrorist group who wish to put the country on tention would just use the nuclear power plant as their experiment of evil.

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
obidark:

sorry,i quoted the wrong person....
but I'm not a wrong person, please use the right word next time. Oxford dictionary has different words which you can use in place of calling one a wrong person sad
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by Gerrard59(m): 11:10pm On Dec 09, 2019
Lots of misguided comments of which majority are borne out of ignorance and unnecessary fear. I was once a victim of such but after further research and understanding of the basic economics behind nuclear power, I am now an advocate. Although, I am late to the discussion but for posterity sake, I will try to elucidate why nuclear power is needed for Nigeria's industrialisation and the challenges.

First, no country has industrialise without nuclear power as a source of energy. The country needs energy to power its homes, offices, factories, schools etc. and no energy source comes close to providing humongous gigawatts of power than nuclear power with low carbon emission and uses less swathes of land. Which means to generate similar gigawatts of power using solar, you need huge swathes of land; to do same using coal, you need less land but higher carbon emissions; hydroelectricity is subject to changes in weather and flow of adjoining rivers/waters therefore is unreliable. Thermal power uses gas and this provides to an extent clean energy but cannot be compared to nuclear which provides it on a larger scale with low carbon emissions.

Know it today if you don't, nuclear power is the only renewable source (yes, it is classified as renewable energy) that offers more gigawatts using less land but provides more than solar and wInd combined. Know it today that no industrial powered economy generates up to 50% of her electricity from solar or wind or even combined. To compete in today's ultra-competitive world and at lower prices, you need a cheaper source of energy that provides more using less land. Wind power just like solar is dependent on the weather and its construction has affected birds and other avian species during their annual migration across seas. Even at that, it (and solar) cannot provide the energy Nigeria needs to power an economy which should provide prosperity to everyone. Presently, the factors which can provide an advantage to us regarding massive industrialisation are limited and almost everyone has them. Cheap labour, access to oceans, swathes of land etc, The only factor which can be used to compete at the international stage is cheap but highly productive energy.

Regarding safety and radioactive waste: New technologies have/are been/being created to mitigate the aftermath of these wastes. As a result, these wastes aren't as dangerous as previously known and also they can be recycled to produce more fuel for the reactors. An instance is TerraPower by Bill Gates. It is ironic that developed countries esp European nations are pushing Nigeria towards solar and wind when France generates more than 70% of her energy from nuclear and her energy costs are cheaper than darling Germany who closed nuclear plants in the wake of Fukushima and her coal plants (and later reopened them https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/26/germany-agrees-to-end-reliance-on-coal-stations-by-2038). More ironic when one considers that developed countries esp western nations are the major polluters (per capita) and actually caused global warming. If Nigeria is to develop rapidly (cause we are way behind others), we need a cheap but highly productive source of energy to do so.

Yes, Nigerians don't have the technical expertise to manage a nuclear facility, it doesn't mean someone else can't do it. Let the French or Germans manage it for say 50 years and later hand them over after transfer of technical know-how.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by JJOF(m): 2:40am On Dec 10, 2019
obidark:

thats not enough....other nations are developin in such a rapid rate,its a bad idea to stay behind....
in a world that is eat or be eatin,dont stay behind and count on human mercy....its hugwash for the gullibe....
There are many areas Nigeria can develop in. Technology improvement is a step by step thing. Nigeria right now can not maintain a nuclear plant, we are too corrupt for that. There are other less dangerous forms of power generation. Abi u want make nuclear power station explosion, or nuclear waste exposal begin kill living things for Naija?

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by executive12: 2:47am On Dec 10, 2019
The power stations should be located in Daura.
Re: Nuclear Power Stations In Kogi, Akwa Ibom Can Wipe Out Nigerians, Others by JJOF(m): 2:48am On Dec 10, 2019
lexy2014:

At least India has a reason based on its security. What is Nigerias security threat?
Sowore grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

National Grid Collapse: Pictures Of The Sabotaged Transmission Tower. / EndSARS: Police Arrests 229 Arsonists, Hoodlums In Lagos / Pictures From Burial Of Hassan Ahmed, Army General Murdered In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.