Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,849 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences (32018 Views)

Very Strange Nigerian Guy I Saw In Germany Who Japa Back To Naija / Living In China, Life Lessons And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Pejudear(f): 9:02am On May 21, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I stand corrected and beg your forgiveness. I blame it on my youth grin
No problem whatsoever. Forever youngy daddy

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 9:03am On May 21, 2020
Olalekank:

Wow! Thanks for this sir

I'd take the key point as taking up an activity/profession, focus on it and be good at it.

I like to use this analogy because I'v seen it play out.

Even if the hobby that you pick up is throwing stones at NEPA poles. At some point you'll become a master NEPA pole hitter. You can then take bets cheesy

But seriously it's good to have a hobby. I am shocked that most Nigerians just go to work, branch at joint and then just off to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 10:59am On May 21, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I like to use this analogy because I'v seen it play out.

Even if the hobby that you pick up is throwing stones at NEPA poles. At some point you'll become a master NEPA pole hitter. You can then take bets cheesy

But seriously it's good to have a hobby. I am shocked that most Nigerians just go to work, branch at joint and then just off to sleep.
Hehe

Thanks for the insight

It's really weird that many of us do not really have hobbies.
I left Nigeria for an Internship and they kept asking me what I do in my free time.. Asides sleep and Netflix, nothing else lol.

I should probably go and dust that guitar, lol

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Zoey1: 10:04am On May 22, 2020
Whatsoever He chose to do remains his CHOICE.
Has no effect on you, and he owes no one explanations.
Do yours as you wish.
justwise:

Its a lot cheaper to retire in Nigeria, you are not doing it primarily to help Nigerian/Nigerians, just to help yourself and i'm not against that.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by TreasureTayo(m): 1:47pm On May 22, 2020
What a lovely Thread. I read from page 1 to the last one. Op, Ooinnn, Ure doing well sir. But why that name "Eegunmogaji"?? lol I'm yoruba so i know the meaning grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 2:17pm On May 22, 2020
TreasureTayo:
What a lovely Thread. I read from page 1 to the last one. Op, Ooinnn, Ure doing well sir. But why that name "Eegunmogaji"?? lol I'm yoruba so i know the meaning grin

It's the nickname that my close friends call me due to my undying love for Alhadji Ayinla Waheed Omowura, EgunMogaji of Egbaland. As far as I am concerned his importance to Nigeria is as good as that of Ahmadu Bello, Awolowo, etc. I credit him and some other smaller circle that includes Ayinde Barrister, Ayinla Kollington, Dauda Epo Akara, Orlando Owoh and to some extent Wasiu Ayinde in keeping my sanity while I was away from Nigeria.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Yampotatocarrot(m): 2:32pm On May 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I like to use this analogy because I'v seen it play out. to have a hobby. I am shocked that most Nigerians just go to work, branch at joint and then just off to sleep.

Lol, you are funny @ Master NEPA pole hitter, and taking bets for it. I'm not surprised though, cos even normal street football now has betting attached to it.

I believe you guys can contribute your own quota now that you have returned. You don't need to provide things that can be stolen, like machines to hospitals and all, you can rather go for human development.

Let me give two examples. Few years ago, bitcoin was making some smart young people rich through arbitrage, I was in a telegram group where we helped each other out. One of us visited the school in his community and was so ashamed with what he saw. He decided to sew uniforms for them. He told the group and many people contributed to it. We had the resultant videos and those students were so happy for it, promising to do their best in their studies. I'm sure that singular act must have motivated some of the students.

2: I did my PG project in some secondary schools in my state last year. During a visit to one of the schools, I had a wonderful chat with the vice principal. I asked her what could be done to boost learning in the school.

She complained about how the students were not motivated to learn again. Told of how they used to have companies come to give award (in monetary form) and even summer internship to the best students (it was a technical secondary school). But unfortunately, since those companies stopped, performance in the school has dropped considerably among other things.

She specifically told me that for now, machines shouldn't be given to the school cos if not we'll monitored, the machines will be sold, rather any project should be those that directly affects the students.

What I'm trying to say is that, in your little way, you and other returnees who have seen the light, the better side can contribute your quota to human development in your localities. Even if you don't do it in the big cities, try doing it in your countryside, as they'll appreciate it more.

If you are already doing so, then congrats Sir and do more. (sorry for the long write-up).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 2:57pm On May 22, 2020
Yampotatocarrot:

Lol, you are funny @ Master NEPA pole hitter, and taking bets for it. I'm not surprised though, cos even normal street football now has betting attached to it.

I believe you guys can contribute your own quota now that you have returned. You don't need to provide things that can be stolen, like machines to hospitals and all, you can rather go for human development.

Let me give two examples. Few years ago, bitcoin was making some smart young people rich through arbitrage, I was in a telegram group where we helped each other out. One of us visited the school in his community and was so ashamed with what he saw. He decided to sew uniforms for them. He told the group and many people contributed to it. We had the resultant videos and those students were so happy for it, promising to do their best in their studies. I'm sure that singular act must have motivated some of the students.

2: I did my PG project in some secondary schools in my state last year. During a visit to one of the schools, I had a wonderful chat with the vice principal. I asked her what could be done to boost learning in the school.

She complained about how the students were not motivated to learn again. Told of how they used to have companies come to give award (in monetary form) and even summer internship to the best students (it was a technical secondary school). But unfortunately, since those companies stopped, performance in the school has dropped considerably among other things.

She specifically told me that for now, machines shouldn't be given to the school cos if not we'll monitored, the machines will be sold, rather any project should be those that directly affects the students.

What I'm trying to say is that, in your little way, you and other returnees who have seen the light, the better side can contribute your quota to human development in your localities. Even if you don't do it in the big cities, try doing it in your countryside, as they'll appreciate it more.

If you are already doing so, then congrats Sir and do more. (sorry for the long write-up).

Good ideas. No one has all the answers and it's from these brain storms that better ideas can be harnessed.

One thing that I'm doing is providing employment. I believe that if paid employment helps the family immediately and the neighborhood and society at large in the short term. In my opinion one has to be careful replacing government responsibilities because once you do that the local government officials will continue to assume that private citizens will take up the slack. I've been in Ibadan now for over a year and I have driven over 0 mile of new or refurbished road.

Some of the ideas that I learnt in my sojourn like employee stock option to motivate productivity and longevity, amongst others are being applied.

The biggest thing for me is that though we are many but I want to encourage others to return so that we can make more of an impact. The hurtful thing on this thread is those that I think I am encouraging them from leaving Nigeria. Quite to the contrary, if anything it's to encourage others like me to return. If I had the political opportunity I would actually consider setting up a Returnee Free Zone. Much like the Free Trade Zone except the RFZ will have:

Free 99 year lease on 1/2 acre of land for a building in the estate.
Free99 year lease on 5 acre of land for farming or factory in the estate.
Private security firm for the estate.
Returnees pay yearly tax.
Some of the business that returnees can setup in the estate as a start is renewable energy from solar/wind (provided by grants).
Another is water distribution.
Waste management.

Once this is done and successful then it can be mimicked widely.

So I'm kind of thinking in a different path than providing social impact.

But all great ideas.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by TreasureTayo(m): 3:21pm On May 22, 2020
Ooh. Okay sir. thank you
EgunMogaji2:

It's the nickname that my close friends call me due to my undying love for Alhadji Ayinla Waheed Omowura, EgunMogaji of Egbaland. As far as I am concerned his importance to Nigeria is as good as that of Ahmadu Bello, Awolowo, etc. I credit him and some other smaller circle that includes Ayinde Barrister, Ayinla Kollington, Dauda Epo Akara, Orlando Owoh and to some extent Wasiu Ayinde in keeping my sanity while I was away from Nigeria.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by TreasureTayo(m): 8:45pm On May 22, 2020
A funny question though. sir, please has your accent changed at all? Living in the USA for that long must have affected your accent or do you still speak our normal Naija English or do you easily switch accent if there's need for that?

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 9:37pm On May 22, 2020
TreasureTayo:
A funny question though. sir, please has your accent changed at all? Living in the USA for that long must have affected your accent or do you still speak our normal Naija English or do you easily switch accent if there's need for that?

I worked hard on my accent not changing and it hasn’t. I can ghetto it up when I want with all the I wanna gonna bullshitting. You’ll be surprised to know that a lot of the polished black American folks don’t talk “black”. Just listen to Oprah if you can.
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by TreasureTayo(m): 9:44pm On May 22, 2020
Wow.. that's great. I know of some people like that too. What was the first thing that got your attention when you entered the USA for the first time and also, about the accent, didn't you find it hard to converse with people with the naija accent? Like the whole, "Can yourepeat yourself" thing? (
EgunMogaji2:

I worked hard on my accent not changing and it hasn’t. I can ghetto it up when I want with all the I wanna gonna bullshitting. You’ll be surprised to know that a lot of the polished black American folks don’t talk “black”. Just listen to Oprah if you can.

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 5:49pm On May 27, 2020
Olalekank:

Hehe

Thanks for the insight

It's really weird that many of us do not really have hobbies.
I left Nigeria for an Internship and they kept asking me what I do in my free time.. Asides sleep and Netflix, nothing else lol.

I should probably go and dust that guitar, lol

How do u get internship abroad?
What Field
How do u cope financially?
Does the company give u any benefits? like housing etc
What Visa did u apply for??
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 6:17pm On May 27, 2020
Richdee1:

How do u get internship abroad?
What Field
How do u cope financially?
Does the company give u any benefits? like housing etc
What Visa did u apply for??
Responses below

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 11:53pm On May 27, 2020
Olalekank:
Responses below

You don't know the visa u applied for??
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 5:56am On May 28, 2020
Richdee1:

You don't know the visa u applied for??
Let's not derail the thread please
Also, I'm not sure the visa type really makes any difference in this conversation

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 30, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
PART 3:

America wasn't my first international visit. I had my eye opening experience that lif ecould be better when I visited UK and Switzerland during the bridge between graduating grammar school and starting work. Let me just quickly say here that it's almost a religious experience when you will first experience a working society.

I flew Alitalia from Lagos to Los Angeles (with a stopover in Rome). I was the only black person on the flight from Rome to Los Angeles. Some of the air hostesses were genuinely intrigued and I was treated very well. In fact I was invited to the cockpit when they learnt I was on my way to the US to train as an Airline Pilot. This will never happen again due to terrorism. Sadly.

I travelled in July so the weather was perfect in California when I arrived. Though I've travelled before to Europe but the USA was a whole different animal.

The first things that I noticed were:

People were friendlier
Streets were wider
Cars were bigger

I left Los Angeles and went up North to San Jose to my school. On the first day of class I found the computer lab (remember I have never seen one in person and up close before).

I started hearing about Microsoft, Windows, Bill Gates, etc and I was hooked. I immediately changed my course to computer science. I still got my Private Pilots license but never made it back to the cockpit as an airline pilot. No worries.

The first time I went back to Nigeria was in 2006, exactly 20 years after I left her. Friends, I was in massive culture shock and actually contemplated going back to the USA on the next available flight. I really did but my Mum talked me out of it. Things were now different in Nigeria. Much different. Much worse than when I left.

I'll add some pictures of my 2006 visit later to http://forums.villageheadmaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52&p=62#p62

After my initial confusion, I loosened up and started enjoying myself. Once I stopped looking at everything from an American perspective then things were alright. Manageable. I toured some of my schools, old joints and work place. Quick hint: whatever you do when you get overseas, never relax and always strive to do better because your mates that you left behind are not slouches either. They are also coming up and growing. Some of my friends were enjoying things like drivers (one for oga and one for madam), servants, etc. One friend basically just lent me a "spare" Range Rover and driver (I declined because I wanted to enjoy Nigeria as a regular Nigerian).

After my two weeks vacation, on my way out I decided then that I wanted to retire back to Nigeria. From that decision I visited Nigeria almost every year, some years more than once.

I got married twice in the USA, got divorced twice, bought many homes, built some homes, had a rewarding career, did all the expected things, paid my taxes, etc. Nairaland is filled with similar stories so no need to bore you guys with all that.

I may refer back once in a while to the USA but for the most part we're done there. Nigeria is the koko.

We move.

Source: http://forums.villageheadmaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52&p=62#p62
Good afternoon sir Mr mogaji ✌️
I came across this thread again and I read it all over again
And I will like to ask you a question which is
Do you still have access to go to the USA
And do you have their passport sir

2 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 3:47pm On May 30, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Good afternoon sir Mr mogaji ✌️
I came across this thread again and I read it all over again
And I will like to ask you a question which is
Do you still have access to go to the USA
And do you have their passport sir

Greetings. Yes and yes.

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by mrjojo: 1:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
We wouldn't mind an update sir. This is one of the most interesting thread I follow, I pop in regularly to catch up.

Sometimes last year sir, I sent you a pm. I wanted some form of mentorship since you've walked the path I'm currently looking forward to walk and it would be a great opportunity learning under your feet. Then I had cold feet and concluded you will be too busy also wanted to meet with you since I'm ibadan based also , I then again decided against that due to the fragile security situation in the country since you will be naturally skeptical about meeting strangers.

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 5:26pm On Jun 02, 2020
mrjojo:
We wouldn't mind an update sir. This is one of the most interesting thread I follow, I pop in regularly to catch up.

Sometimes last year sir, I sent you a pm. I wanted some form of mentorship since you've walked the path I'm currently looking forward to walk and it would be a great opportunity learning under your feet. Then I had cold feet and concluded you will be too busy also wanted to meet with you since I'm ibadan based also , I then again decided against that due to the fragile security situation in the country since you will be naturally skeptical about meeting strangers.

Of course we can meet after Covid. The way I look at life is a bit different from most. You're thinking that you might gain from me but me I am thinking of what I could gain from you based on your knowledge from being on the ground. One hand washes the other.

I haven't made an update mostly because everyone is dealing with all sorts of stuff. But I will soon.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 4:06am On Jun 10, 2020
A thread on another topic. Still related and useful.

https://www.nairaland.com/5915433/psa-diasporans-building-nigeria
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 7:57pm On Jun 22, 2020
For those still sitting on the fence, African Americans are moving to The Gambia grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUoLtLc58kc

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by mufutau55(m): 9:12pm On Jun 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
For those still sitting on the fence, African Americans are moving to Gambia.

Plenty already in Ghana too.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 3:54am On Jun 23, 2020
mufutau55:

Plenty already in Ghana too.

Hajji M.

You’re right Sir.
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 3:56am On Jun 23, 2020
I’m sharing these videos to show that it’s actually not a unique thing to move to Africa like I did.

At least I was born here but all these African Americans are moving to Africa in droves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpB9BjcPAk
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by InvertedHammer: 4:56am On Aug 16, 2020
Chief Egunmogaji2:

It seems like I came late to the party? How is Nigeria treating you? How are you adapting? It has been almost a year now. Kudos.
Personally I get bored and exhausted after 1 month in Nigeria. I detest those unscheduled public holidays. I wish you all the best sha. Hold your wallet when "they" come around talking about love grin

/

2 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2020
InvertedHammer:
Chief Egunmogaji2:

It seems like I came late to the party? How is Nigeria treating you? How are you adapting? It has been almost a year now. Kudos.
Personally I get bored and exhausted after 1 month in Nigeria. I detest those unscheduled public holidays. I wish you all the best sha. Hold your wallet when "they" come around talking about love grin

/

My brother, it’s been good and Nigeria has been very good to me. It’s been 18 months.

As you know it wasn’t an impromptu move so I was very prepared ahead of time. I’m living my best life now. I’m actually living and not just surviving the rats race of the developed world.

I keep my head down, no Americana, I’m just another Baba Ijebu to most cool

4 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by DisGuy: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2020
Glad you're doing good chief, what looking for this thread yesterday.

Have you had to changed anything since the covid

And how's the rail station if I remember correctly you are close by. Omi Adio or what's it gonna be called now
Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 3:02pm On Aug 16, 2020
DisGuy:
Glad you're doing good chief, what looking for this thread yesterday.

Have you had to changed anything since the covid

And how's the rail station if I remember correctly you are close by. Omi Adio or what's it gonna be called now

They’re starting operations next month.

The welcome center is completed at my site. Building ones foundation is completed. I aim to have four flats opened by 1/1/21.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by DisGuy: 12:09pm On Aug 19, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

The welcome center is completed at my site. Building ones foundation is completed. I aim to have four flats opened by 1/1/21.

Looking forward to this!

Congrats!

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by DisGuy: 2:02am On Oct 30, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Just found your thread on the smart flats absolutely blown away!!! Fantastic!

You're really poking those dodgy building contractors in the eye. Many people have been put off by scary figures they throw around for overbuilt 'mansions'

Amaechi is making the chinese earn their pay!! Endsars wont slow the rail projects and now the weather is good for November/December testing!!

1 Like

Re: Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences by EgunMogaji2: 3:16am On Oct 30, 2020
DisGuy:

Just found your thread on the smart flats absolutely blown away!!! Fantastic!

You're really poking those dodgy building contractors in the eye. Many people have been put off by scary figures they throw around for overbuilt 'mansions'

Amaechi is making the chinese earn their pay!! Endsars wont slow the rail projects and now the weather is good for November/December testing!!

Thank you Sir. I really appreciate your support and encouragement.

I can report that at least in my sector the Chinese and their crew are plugging away every single day here. It’s amazing how much work goes on to making a railroad. Last week had them laying some cables.

Picture from yesterday showing work on a railroad crossing near me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Check Out Throwback Pix Of Nigeria Airways, Lagos To New York For Less Than N18K / Name Top Ten Countries In Africa With The Most Beautiful Women: Please Rank Them / Governor Sanwo-Olu Has Started Fixing Roads In Lagos State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.