Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate (2617 Views)

Abia Tribunal Annuls Election Of Emeka Nnamani, Bars APGA From Re-run / Ministerial List: How Buhari’s Last Minute Change Favoured Ngige / Jonathan Favoured To Win $5mil Mo Ibrahim Prize For African Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by okeyxyz(m): 3:19pm On Nov 28, 2010
http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70478:nnamani-soludo-ekweremadu-favoured-as-atikus-running-mate-&catid=43:news&Itemid=799

•As Ben Obi emerges campaign Director-General
Olusola Sanni and Johnchuks Onuanyim, Abuja

The search for a running mate to a former Vice-President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, for the 2011 election has begun in earnest.
Sources told the Nigerian Compass on Sunday that Abubakar, who emerged as the consensus candidate of the Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF), will have another consensus candidate from the South-East as running mate.
Those said to be in contention for the vice-presidential slot include a former President of the Senate, Senator Ken Nnamani; a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Professor Charles Soludo; and the Deputy President of the Senate, Chief Ike Ekweremadu.
It was gathered that those in favour of the consensus arrangement have all agreed that the search for Abubakar’s running mate be narrowed to the South-East geopolitical zone.
In fact, the Nigerian Compass gathered that the Igbo Political Leaders Forum, led by Second Republic Vice-President, Dr. Alex Ekweme, will play a key role in nominating Abubakar’s running mate.
Sources told the Nigerian Compass that former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida, is also expected to make significant contributions to the process that will lead to the emergence of Abubakar’s running mate.
It would be recalled that the Nigerian Compass on Sunday in its last two editions had exclusively reported that the campaign structures of the four Northern presidential hopefuls on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would be collapsed after the emergence of the consensus presidential candidate.
This was confirmed on Saturday as the four presidential aspirants from the North on the platform of the PDP endorsed the appointment of the former Director-General of the General Aliyu Gusau Presidential Campaign Organisation, Senator Ben Obi, as the Director-General of the Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation.
Going by the development and the other terms of the agreement entered into by the aspirants, Babangida would nominate Abubakar’s running mate.
Sources told the Nigerian Compass that Babangida has been mandated to forward three names for consideration.
However, the final decision of who to pair with Abubakar, it was learnt, would be taken by the Igbo Political Leaders Forum.
Although, according to the source, Babangida is yet to reveal his nominees, the expectation is that Nnamani would top Babangida’s list.
The source said, “There are already negotiations as to the selection of the running mate to Atiku Abubakar.
“It was agreed during the search for the consensus candidate that the person who comes second in the ballot would make an input into the choice of the running mate to the winner of the exercise.
“And given the fact that Babangida came second during the ballot, it is expected that he will make contributions to the selection of the running mate to Abubakar.
“IBB (Babangida) will nominate three persons and the names of the three nominees will be sent to the South-East political leadership to pick one as their candidate.
“It is not yet known who and who IBB will nominate. But we know that the former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, is his man.”
It was gathered that those whose names have been thrown up and their sponsors have been making contacts with the Ekwueme-led group that was set up by political leaders in the zone to pick a vice-presidential candidate.
The Ekwueme committee is an offshoot of the Igbo Political Leaders Forum, which had entered into alliance with the NPLF.
The two groups had agreed to support the North to produce a president in 2011 while the South- East will produce the president in 2015.
Although the Ekwueme committee has not come out with modalities for the selection of a consensus vice-presidential candidate for Abubakar, it was gathered from several sources that the aspiring politicians have been making contacts with those who can push their candidacy.
Although it could not be confirmed if Ekweremadu is involved in the process, it was learnt that some highly placed senators and members of the House of Representatives have been pushing his candidacy as Abubakar’s running mate.
Their argument, according to sources, is that Ekweremadu’s nomination will guarantee the former vice-president an overwhelming majority of votes from the members of the National Assembly.
The PDP has an estimated 77 senators and about 260 members in the House of Representatives.
However, there are strong indications that governors from the South-East have been identified by the zone’s political leaders as a formidable power house from which a running mate should be picked for Abubakar.
The argument of those pushing for the selection of one of the governors is that they control most of the delegates comprising the state party executive, party leaders at the local government level and members of the state assemblies.
It is reckoned by the people canvassing this position that if the governors present one of their own, they will deliver most of the delegates from the zone to Abubakar.
Also in strong contention for the ticket are Nnamani and Soludo.
Nnamani is said to be the choice candidate of Babangida’s group while some intelligentsia in the South-East are said to favour Soludo.
Nnamani is said to be banking on the support of Babangida and his relationship with Abubakar during the battle against the third term agenda of former President Olusegun Obasanjo to get the VP’s slot.
Nnamadi presided over the defeat of the third term agenda in May 2006 as the president of the Senate.
Abubakar, who was then Obasanjo’s deputy, worked with members of the National Assembly to defeat the agenda.
Soludo’s strength lies in his knowledge of the economy, which many of the top politicians in the scheme believe is very crucial to any government in contemporary Nigeria.
On Saturday, as first reported by the Nigerian Compass on Sunday, Obi emerged as the Director General of the Atiku Abubabakar Campaign Organisation.
This is under the unified structure of the campaign organisations of the Northern presidential aspirants on the platform of the PDP.
According to Babangida, who spoke to journalists after a meeting of the all the presidential aspirants and members of the campaign organisations, other appointments would be made later.
One of such appointments, Babangida said, is the position of the running mate to Abubakar.
Meanwhile, it has been revealed that before the unveiling of Abubakar as the consensus candidate of the North for the 2011 presidential election, Obasanjo made certain moves to divide the North in the search for a consensus candidate.
Sources told the Nigerian Compass that Obasanjo approached the Governor of Jigawa State, Malam Sule Lamido, and the Governor of Adamawa State, Alhaji Muritala Nyako, to search for a presidential aspirant from among the governors of the PDP in the North.
It was gathered that Lamido told Obasanjo that going by the level of consultation done by the NPLF, which was saddled with the task of producing the consensus candidate for the North, it would be difficult for the governors in the region to move in the opposite direction.
The source said, “Towards the time the Malam Adamu Ciroma-led NPLF was to unveil the consensus candidate, Obasanjo actually approached Governors Lamido and Nyako, telling them that they should both seek a presidential aspirant from among the PDP governors in the Northern part of the country.
“Obviously, the move is to divide the North and make a nonsense of the Northern consensus candidate being promoted by the Ciroma committee.
“But, unfortunately, the governors did not yield, and Lamido specifically told him that going by the extensive consultation made by the Ciroma committee, it was already too late in the day for the governors to stand in the way of the NLPF.”

Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by okeyxyz(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2010
The game's hotting up by the day. How well is Atiku going to play this card?
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by 1025: 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2010
pls let atiku not try soludo because he is a failure and an agent of obasanjo. i will like to see an atiku nnamani combination that will project nnamani as the next nigerian president afterwards.
all anti third term agenda candidates must work together to pull down this obasanjo stronghold.
i can wait for ohanaeze ndigbo to re-endorse atiku/nnamani presidency.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 28, 2010
The North amazes me. Who's going to defeat them when they show unity like this? The South is at their mercy, period!
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by aljharem(m): 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

The North amazes me. Who's going to defeat them when they show unity like this? The South is at their mercy, period!

gbammmm, so when will the south unite tongue
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by MetalGong4: 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2010
1025:

pls let atiku not try soludo because he is a failure and an agent of obasanjo. i will like to see an atiku nnamani combination that will project nnamani as the next nigerian president afterwards.
all anti third term agenda candidates must work together to pull down this obasanjo stronghold.

What makes Soludo a failure and agent of Obasanjo? . . . I hope you are not reasoning with your anus. grin grin
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 28, 2010
alj harem:

gbammmm, so when will the south unite tongue

The division between East and West is more than the division between East and North, so go figure.
Igbos are very much at home in the North that the West. The only problem with the North is religious crises.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 6:27pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

The division between East and West is more than the division between East and North, so go figure.
Igbos are very much at home in the North that the West. The only problem with the North is religious crises.

how?
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by igbobuigbo: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2010
jason12345:

how?

I believe him too. If a typical, superior-feeling Yoruba (not the obasanjo type that you guys love to hate because he is not Yoruba enough in your opinion) rules Nigeria, Igbos will only eat from under the table, politically speaking. I'd rather stick with the North as they appear to be more trustworthy. Jus so they can have a go at the presidency again before their scheduled time per PDP zoning, your people denied Obasanjo's Yoruba heritage. How can an Igbo trust such people?
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Omenani(m): 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2010
I must say this is a brilliant move by the North. Say what you hate about the North, but you cannot deny that these people are shrewd. These are the children of Uthman Dan Fodio.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Omenani(m): 6:33pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

That is definitely true. However, these turn of events are starting to resemble pre-independence.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by okeyxyz(m): 6:54pm On Nov 28, 2010
Omenani:

I must say this is a brilliant move by the North. Say what you hate about the North, but you cannot deny that these people are shrewd. These are the children of Uthman Dan Fodio.

u can say that again wink
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 6:55pm On Nov 28, 2010
jason12345:

how?

Minus Lagos, a former capital, how many luxurious buses leave Onitsha to say Ibadan or Akure etc. Go to the parks and see the volume of buses that go to the North from the East. Many Igbos want to visit Kano, or Kaduna, or Jos etc but mention Ibadan to them and hear the hiss.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by okeyxyz(m): 7:17pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

Minus Lagos, a former capital, how many luxurious buses leave Onitsha to say Ibadan or Akure etc. Go to the parks and see the volume of buses that go to the North from the East. Many Igbos want to visit Kano, or Kaduna, or Jos etc but mention Ibadan to them and hear the hiss.

i don't think ur implication applies here. Lagos is too strong an economic centre for anyother city in the south west to hold sway, unlike the south-east\south-south or the north where the economic centres are spreadout.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2010
. . . but Ibadan is a very big city to attract many Igbos there but that's not the case. I remember an incidence when a friend's cousin returned from Ibadan where he resides and when he told us he lived in Ibadan, everyone was so surprised. What was in everyone's mind was "Ibadan

Well, I've lived in Lagos and the North and dealt with both peoples and I'll tell you that my experience with Yorubas has erased any hope of ever going to Ibadan.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 7:29pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

is it based on discrimination or economical reasons?
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Obiagu1(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2010
jason12345:

is it based on discrimination or economical reasons?

It is part economical, part trust and part discrimination/tribalism. Igbos find it hard to deal with Yorubas in business; nothing is ever straightforward. There's so much distrust between the two.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by okeyxyz(m): 7:51pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

. . .  but Ibadan is a very big city to attract many Igbos there but that's not the case. I remember an incidence when a friend's cousin returned from Ibadan where he resides and when he told us he lived in Ibadan, everyone was so surprised. What was in everyone's mind was "Ibadan

Well, I've lived in Lagos and the North and dealt with both peoples and I'll tell you that my experience with Yorubas has erased any hope of ever going to Ibadan.

you forget that ibadan is just a stone-throw from lagos, there r people who live in ibadan, but work in lagos, there r also people who go to lagos to shop, it just dosn't make sense to setup in ibadan when lagos is next door beckoning with open arms. lagos is too strong a hub for IB to pose any challenge. just check out Lagos: largest population, multi-ethnic\cultural, 9ja's main international airport, 9ja's main sea-port, far advanced infrastructure, strong federal presence(besides abuja), etc. ibadan just stands no chance.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by bkbabe97y(m): 7:55pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

. . . . and the fact that they'll behead ur treacherous aszzes any chance they get! At home with the North indeed!ROFLMAO! You Ibos are the most foolish people Ive ever come across in my life! You cant force someone to love you, always remember that!
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Blazay(m): 8:23pm On Nov 28, 2010
1025:

pls let atiku not try soludo because he is a failure and an agent of obasanjo. [b] i will like to see an atiku nnamani combination that will project nnamani as the next nigerian president afterwards.[/b]all anti third term agenda candidates must work together to pull down this obasanjo stronghold.

I concur.

Keep Soludo in the economic sector.
Atiku needs a political Tsunami like Ken Nnamani.
Soludo has a lot to learn.

Let us give him time to fight his aunty Dora Akunyili with their R.S.V.P.(Rice Stew Very Plenty) village family feuds first.
He needs some grooming. Glad to know he is starting from his state contending with the Uba brotherhood in OBJ.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 28, 2010
all bad, no good
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by McKren(m): 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2010
Folks should stop making up accusations and trying to rewrite Soludo's records.

I have never seen one person who can boldly say that the Banking system Soludo left in 2008 is not far better than the Banking system he met in 2003.

Why is it so easy to distort the facts in Nigeria?
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2010
Obiagu1:

It is part economical, part trust and part discrimination/tribalism. Igbos find it hard to deal with Yorubas in business; nothing is ever straightforward. There's so much distrust between the two.

same as yorubas. the feeling is mutual between you two. but the discrimination bit undecided i really doubt that. anyway, its all good
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by OAM4J: 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2010
Who cares?

And what has South-west got to do with this? Abeg free us jor!

The west is presently not interested in Atiku, Jonathan or who becomes whoever's running mate in PDP.

Presently, what is going on the West is 'OPERATION KICK OUT PDP FROM THE WEST' Which by the grace of God and the strong will of the S.W people, will be concluded by May 2011 when we'll finally kick out the last 2 PDP Nuisances in Ogun and Oyo. And after May 2011 we bigging the campaign for a True Federalism.

If the South-East want, they can keep 'dobale-ing' - (prostrating and bigging) the North to give them some federal carrot. The West want none of it and pls leave us out of your North a.ss licking.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by Blazay(m): 8:57pm On Nov 28, 2010
OAM4J:

Who cares?

The west is presently not interested in Atiku, Jonathan or who becomes whoever's running mate in PDP.

Presently, what is going on the West is 'OPERATION KICK OUT PDP FROM THE WEST' Which by the grace of God and the strong will of the S.W people, will be concluded by May 2011 when we'll finally kick out the last 2 PDP Nuisances in Ogun and Oyo. And after May 2011 we bigging the campaign for a True Federalism.

If the South-East want, they can keep 'dobale-ing' - (prostrating and bigging) the North to give them some federal carrot. The West want none of it and pls leave us out of your North behind licking.

Yeah right.
Something you could not accomplish during OBJ's tenure.
Bravo!
Of what use is any party in the west now when the main seat of political power is  no longer relevant in the West?
Make una kill unaselves for inside dat una dorty, wild, wild west jare. Who cares? undecided
You are all the same toro and shi shi.
We nor dey miss una. We fit to jam for owambe joint shake bodi small. Finito.

Have you guys not stolen enough under OBJ who was able to enrich Otedola and Adenuga to name just a few with Nigeria' oil money from the South?
Abeg go siddon. Una time don pass.
This na new millenium Naija politics.
Not Awo in OBj skin regime.

10 years in power through OBJ with nothing to show, come for internet dey type rubbish.
Anu-Ijebu!
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by McKren(m): 9:00pm On Nov 28, 2010
OAM4J:

Who cares?

If the South-East want, they can keep 'dobale-ing' - (prostrating and bigging) the North to give them some federal carrot. The West want none of it and pls leave us out of your North behind licking.

Have your SouthWest party produced any President yet?

Was it not in the same PDP that OBJ emerged?

Did OBJ not postrate for Atiku in 2003?

Where is OBJ from and where is Atiku from?

While you speak figuratively about others postrating for others remember that your pepople have actually physically done so already.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 9:00pm On Nov 28, 2010
OAM4J:

Who cares?

to my igbo brothers, this is what the west want exactly!!! this is the epitome of what they want. they NEVER VOTED FOR OBJ, HE WAS IMPOSED ON THEM!
they do not really care about who becomes the president. all they want is development and progress regardless of the country!
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by igbobuigbo: 9:00pm On Nov 28, 2010
bk.babe97y:

. . . . and the fact that they'll behead your treacherous aszzes any chance they get! At home with the North indeed!ROFLMAO! You Ibos are the most foolish people Ive ever come across in my life! You cant force someone to love you, always remember that!

Arent Yorubas equally beheaded in the North? Since Igbos retaliated in Aba/Onitsha, it became clear the North got the message, hence they now turned their beheading mentality toward the Yoruba.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2010
McKren:

Have your SouthWest party produced any President yet?

Was it not in the same PDP that OBJ emerged?

Did OBJ not postrate for Atiku in 2003?

Where is OBJ from and where is Atiku from?

While you speak figuratively about others postrating for others remember that your pepople have actually physically done so already.

Does it matter? even now that we have an ijaw president, does that mean ijaw regions would be more developed or her people would be treathd better.

i think in nigeria, only the west has the political will to oppose the north politically.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by jason12345: 9:04pm On Nov 28, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Arent Yorubas equally beheaded in the North? Since Igbos retaliated in Aba/Onitsha, it became clear the North got the message, hence they now turned their beheading mentality toward the Yoruba.

true!!!
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by OAM4J: 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2010
Blazay:

Yeah right.
Something you could not accomplish during OBJ's tenure.
Bravo!
Of what use is any party in the west now when the main seat of political power is  no longer relevant in the West?
Make una kill unaselves jare. Who cares? undecided
You are all the same toro and shi shi.

Have you guys not stolen enough under OBJ who was able to enrich Otedola and Adenuga to name just a few with Nigeria' oil money from the South?

The last time I checked, Obj is from the South West, and he dealt with your Northern Mafia. The North still need more years to recover from obj blows. grin

The only thing is that PDP should have left SW with Obj's exit. And we are enforcing that now.
Re: Nnamani, Soludo, Ekweremadu Favoured As Atikus's Running Mate by igbobuigbo: 9:07pm On Nov 28, 2010
OAM4J:

Who cares?

It will actually be in the interest of the Igbos that Yoruba retire to their ethnic politics. They can never rule Nigeria from there (ethnic politics), but will fail as Awo did. True federalism means 100% resource control which the Yoruba are afraid of.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Five Shocking Things You Never Knew About Your Country, Nigeria! / Elrufai's Picture Story Just Went Viral!!!!!whats Your Interpretation Of This? / The New Enerhen Junction Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.