Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? - Health (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (96048 Views)

Snake Bites 2-year-old; Kid Bites Back, Killing It / Snake Bites Married Woman To Death In Obudu, Cross River State (Photo) / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by iLegendd(m): 7:14pm On Dec 18, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Is kerosine not dangerous to drink?

It is, but when there is something more dangerous in the body, kerosene becomes a freedom fighter of your body. Venom and the components contained in kerosene are enemies.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by chiomzy86(f): 8:04pm On Dec 18, 2019
josh123:
Tie the affected part with rope and drink chilled water to slow the venom

You don't drink water when bitten by a snake
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by VolvoS60(m): 8:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
Tpave:
Yeah. My neighbor was bitten by snake in the night while trekking a bushy path. The first aid given to him was kerosene before being taken to the nearest clinic. He eventually survived it

^^^
The kerosene wasn't the antidote.

There are a couple of possible reasons your neighbour survived:

1. The snake wasn't venomous.
2. The snake was venomous but delivered a "dry bite".

Kerosene had nothing to do with it. Ingesting kerosene will only cause more serious harm.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by VolvoS60(m): 8:50pm On Dec 18, 2019
obailala:
Who told you there are no mambas in Nigeria?.... Those devils are all over the place, the black mambas specifically. I call them devils because unlike other snakes that only attack when threatened and cornered, black mambas will actually come for you unprovoked, and if you dare provoke them, they chase after you for long distances. They can be extremely fast. Those things are nothing but demons.

^^^
Interesting.

They are not native to this environment - that's for sure.

I haven't seen any myself or heard from any one who has actually had an encounter with one (and I've had a few run-ins with juvenile rock pythons, forest cobras, puff adders and the ubiquitous (non-venomous) green snakes (forgotten the scientific name) found across Nigeria).

Throw in a bit more info pls
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by VolvoS60(m): 9:16pm On Dec 18, 2019
adakoleagbenu:

Was actually waiting for someone to mention Black Stone.

when I was in boarding school which was of course surrounded by bushes as is d case in Nigeria, snake bites and scorpion sting were quite common . all these anti venom no dey available. A friend brought out the black stone in our presence when snake bit a hostel mate he told the guy not to move, he put the black stone on it and told us it was from Jerusalem. the black stone stuck on the guys leg, drawing the poison. it refused to remove until it drew all poison and fell down itself. the guy gradually felt better. the other guy now dipped the black stone in liquid milk to wash it. we saw the poison come out of the black stone, discolouring the milk water. that because the remedy for us

^^^
This is capillary action at work.

There is no such thing as stones from 'Jerusalem' that draw venom.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by VolvoS60(m): 9:26pm On Dec 18, 2019
healthserve:

Well done. I hope you know 80% of cassava contain cyanoids and chemicals that are even twenty times more dangerous than snakes. Probably you ate an edible cassava but you came here to say eat just any cassava. I hope you know raw cassava is pure death wrapped in a tuber?

^^^^
grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by dukeprince50: 9:26pm On Dec 18, 2019
TheArchangel:

Keep the person as calm as possible. Anxiety increases heart rate and increased heart rate will circulate the venom faster to all part of the body. kiss
Keep the part lower to decrease the circulation of the venom.
Tying of a tourniquet is no longer recommended as the part may lack blood supply and die.

If it is a poisonous snake, get a sharp machete and hack that part off.

GET TO A TEACHING HOSPITAL OR THE BIGGEST HOSPITAL IN YOUR STATE FOR ANTI-VENOM IF YOU GET BITTEN.
PAY WHATEVER YOU ARE TOLD TO...... NO BARGAIN.
WITH ULTRA POISONOUS SNAKES LIKE boomslangs, spitting cobra, puff adder etc, YOU MAY HAVE ONLY MINUTES TO LIVE.
U are obviously not in Nigeria, I went to a Nigerian hospital to treat myself, those people don't have malaria drugs, I had to buy it in a drug store. Hospital is bit the best place o

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by dukeprince50: 9:29pm On Dec 18, 2019
Christane:
jst keep screaming till somebody cum nd help u or jst get ready to die. becus d venom spread very fast nd might paralyze d effected area
not all venom spread fast, some venom could take hours, the black mamba is just few minutes
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 18, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
This is capillary action at work.

There is no such thing as stones from 'Jerusalem' that draw venom.

Black Stone works. It is very effective against all form of poison, Google it.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
From the experience of others dat I have seen

Bitter kola and charcoal are very effective against snakes and other poison.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by VolvoS60(m): 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
iamloyalty:

Black Stone works. It is very effective against all form of poison, Google it.

^^^
A google search of the term "black stone" throws up info about the Kabba in Mecca but I wager that wasn't what you had in mind. grin

The wonder of the black stone is simply capillary action at work. Its efficacy in treating envenomation seems highly doubtful. The reference below may be helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18180213
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Preferito(m): 7:10am On Dec 19, 2019
Donald95:

Thanks. I heard tying the region is dangerous
Also try to eat bitter kola as well as 3 table spoons of kerosene.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by cRobo: 8:32am On Dec 19, 2019
clive2u:
about the centipede, hot water massage cures it?

Yes it does
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by cRobo: 8:34am On Dec 19, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

Go to a hospital in the morning.

Dude I'm still alive
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by cRobo: 8:35am On Dec 19, 2019
MrDoGood:

Na dear cause this your own.
Common centipede when l bite you, na e cause you all those ones for your body?

Have you been biten before?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by SenecaTheYonger: 8:36am On Dec 19, 2019
cRobo:

Dude I'm still alive

Yeah, that's why I said to go to the hospital - a dead person can't.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by clive2u(m): 8:50am On Dec 19, 2019
cRobo:

Yes it does
cool cos centipede have woke me up a lot of times lately. thank God they didn't bite
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by GoldHorse(m): 5:23pm On Dec 19, 2019
healthserve:

Yes as a Solvent but how does activated charcoal separate between body fluids and poison to sort and extract them from the body

AC is not a Solvent and cannot be used, in the real sense of it, as a Solvent (companies always try finding a way around this). One of the methods they use is adding AC to a Solvent and make into ingestable substance. When ingested the Solvent dissolves and release AC to do its work.

The Work: AC ADsorp not ABsorp. AC does not change it composition (that much or even at all), that's why it reuseable (by reuseable I am not talking of the ingested ones o... grin). So, it ADsorp chemicals or any unwanted or even wanted drugs substances (there are some it cannot adsorp) from the body (or wherever). Anything it sees as foreign to its immediate environment it adsorp. That is why one is advised not to use it 2 hours before and after taking medications because e go adsorp eferitin sharp sharp... Lol.

Put in your fridge to get natural and beautiful odour..... and it will also render your "iru" and other ingredients "odourless". Lol.... If you have those smelly, musty rooms full of bacteria that makes you cough come make I give you what to use - Bamboo Activated Charcoal bags.

Activated Charcoal has hundreds of uses. I can't explain all here that's why I earlier said people should read about it. If you need contact me. Infact we have bamboo activated charcoal which is better than those from wood sources.

I am talking from experience. I use it too.

God speed!
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by charlsecy(m): 5:50pm On Dec 19, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
Sure bitter kola do work....
How is bitter kola used to scare away snakes? Does it kill snakes? And does consuming bitter kola offer protection against snake bites?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Coldfeets: 6:01pm On Dec 19, 2019
suraaj:
who told you we don't have both in naija, if you want 100, I have a friend hunter who can get it for you in 2 weeks, mamba is soro while rattlesnake is okaa.

Sorry, I don't want.

You can try lalasticlala...

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Tonymegabush1(m): 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2019
charlsecy:
How is bitter kola used to scare away snakes? Does it kill snakes? And does consuming bitter kola offer protection against snake bites?

Snake stay away anywhere bitterkola is placed, it doesn't kill snake per say but the smell is what they are against, even human hair too can scare them away.

If you need more ideas you can visit those yoruba ladys that sell herb and roots there is one they showed me last time i have forgotten the name
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by descartes400: 6:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
adakoleagbenu:

Was actually waiting for someone to mention Black Stone.

when I was in boarding school which was of course surrounded by bushes as is d case in Nigeria, snake bites and scorpion sting were quite common . all these anti venom no dey available. A friend brought out the black stone in our presence when snake bit a hostel mate he told the guy not to move, he put the black stone on it and told us it was from Jerusalem. the black stone stuck on the guys leg, drawing the poison. it refused to remove until it drew all poison and fell down itself. the guy gradually felt better. the other guy now dipped the black stone in liquid milk to wash it. we saw the poison come out of the black stone, discolouring the milk water. that because the remedy for us

Exactly what my father did when he was bitten by a scorpion. I would like to have that black stone.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 27, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
A google search of the term "black stone" throws up info about the Kabba in Mecca but I wager that wasn't what you had in mind. grin

The wonder of the black stone is simply capillary action at work. Its efficacy in treating envenomation seems highly doubtful. The reference below may be helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18180213

Research more.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by U1(m): 4:14pm On Mar 05, 2020
fkj950ax:
https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/snakebite/

Snakebite Symptoms
Snakebite symptoms vary dramatically from bite to bite. Many snakebites take place so quickly that victims are not always certain that they have actually been bitten. A bite mark is seldom the characteristic two-fang puncture mark – more frequently, a bite will be from a single fang and will just be a scratch with a little bleeding.

In the event of a snakebite, the victim may have some of the following symptoms
– An immediate burning pain, followed by swelling, which progresses up the limb and may affect the lymph glands (the Puff Adder and the Mozambique Spitting Cobra).
– Dizziness, difficulty in swallowing and breathing, drooping eyelids and nausea (the mambas and the Cape Cobra).
– Bleeding from the nose, small cuts, followed by bleeding from the mucous membranes and, after several hours, severe internal bleeding (the Boomslang and the Twig Snake).
– Shock, which can cause nausea, pain and difficulty in breathing.

In the Event of A Snakebite DO NOT…
– DO NOT try to cut or suck out the venom
Snake venom very quickly attaches to the local tissue and is absorbed into the lymphatic system and very little venom can be removed by suction. Cutting may expose the wound to secondary infection.

– DO NOT apply any electric shock therapy
Electric shocks do not neutralise snake venom.

– DO NOT apply a tourniquet
Arterial or venous tourniquets are not advised in most bites as venom is initially transported largely through the lymphatic system and not through veins. There is no evidence that a tourniquet could be life-saving following a snakebite.

– DO NOT apply ice or warm water, lotion or potions
Leave the bite site alone, except for cleaning it with cool water and applying a sterile gauze dressing. Warm water does not denature snake venom. Do not give the victim alcohol.

– DO NOT inject antivenom as a first aid measure
If required, antivenom must be injected intravenously by a medical doctor in a hospital environment and usually in large quantities. Anaphylactic shock can be a serious side-effect which may be fatal if not treated promptly.

First Aid Measures for Snakebite
– Get the victim to a hospital as soon as possible and in a safe manner
Keep the numbers of the closest hospital (with a trauma unit) and ambulance service on your cell phone and call ahead to notify them of the victim’s situation. The navigational App Waze is very handy – type in ‘hospital’ or ‘doctor’ and the closest facilities will be listed immediately with details.

– Keep the victim calm and as still as possible
Muscle contractions speed up the movement of venom in the lymphatic system. Immobilise the victim, lay the victim down if possible and transport (or arrange transport) to the closest hospital. Elevate the affected limb slightly above heart level.

– Remove rings and tight clothing
If bitten on the hand, arm, foot, or lower leg, remove rings, bangles, bracelets, watches, anklets and any other tight jewellery, as well as tight clothing and shoes.

– Apply pressure bandages
If you are more than an hour or two from the closest medical facility, consider applying pressure bandages to the affected limb, but only in suspected Mamba or Cape Cobra bites. Please see section on Smart Bandages.

IMPORTANT Do not waste valuable time applying a pressure bandage – immediately transport the patient to the nearest hospital with a trauma unit and, if possible, apply the pressure bandage whilst travelling.

Isn't the bold portion counterintuitive? Just wondering.

Ten06:
I was traveling with a friend when he became pressed and decided to use the bush to relieve himself, that was how he ran out that a snake has bitten him.
As we were contemplating what what to do a local man came out of one village nearby and we explained our predicament to him.
He enter the bush and came out with a plantain leave, the top soft new growth part of the leave, he cut the middle stuck out and gave to my friend to continue sucking it and be swallowing the liquid.
He now went inside the bush again and came out with live tolls (those one that look like snail but are smaller, the ones we use to play when we were in primary school) he started using the flesh of the small snail (tolls) to rub the position of the bite continously.
At a time my friend wanted to vomit but he continued encouraging him to suck hard and swallow.
After about 30mins my friend became stable, we then thank him as he rejected our monetary offer.
Up till now my friend didn't bother to see a doctor despite my advice for him to do so

It's partly that kind of man (the local man) that sometimes makes me yearn for the good old village life. The so-called "civilised" life isn't really the best IMHO.

But we move!
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 9:59am On May 13, 2020
Virus99:

Oshey oshey Dr. Ben Carson grin
Ben Killson

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? / Man Bleeding To Death At Idi-Iroko Bridge Maryland Mall, Lagos (Photos) / 11.6kg Skin Removed From The Body Of A Cosmetic Surgery Patient In Lagos (Graphi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.