Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? - Health (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (96253 Views)

Snake Bites 2-year-old; Kid Bites Back, Killing It / Snake Bites Married Woman To Death In Obudu, Cross River State (Photo) / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by excanny: 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

No need to know the snake

There is. So they can apply the right anti venom at the hospital. Just the description is enough.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Casemiro(m): 12:48pm On Dec 18, 2019
NwsBoy:
To prevent this from happening again just carry bitter cola with you any time you are going to the bush or any place that has snakes..

Snakes don't like bitter cola.....

And also bitter cola reduces the effect of almost any poison in the body.

Only carrying bitter cola will chase the snake.

I've been hearing a lot about bitter kola repelling snakes .

Please what's really the science behind this?

Is it the smell, the appearance or something else?

..Does this have to do with supernatural powers?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Chrixtopha(m): 12:48pm On Dec 18, 2019
Leave Netgeo and discovery channels unable no gree...all my days growing up in the village,I have never seen someone taken to the hospital because of snake bite...it is always advised to first of all, tie the upper region to stop the migration of the venom to the heart, the most important first aid as you may got bitten in the bush, kill the snake if you can as it seems like an ant''s bite when bitten but with a drop of blood at the place where bitten...then chew onions or kerosene(small quantity), have heard people suckling the venom out with their mouth like suckING oUT catarh from a baby''s nose (mostly for professionals, as you that is sucking may die if mistakenly swallowed) then locate the traditionalist that will give you some concussion and it's done...so let's for once leave science and what we read alone and consult..

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

U are 100% correct.

Except that u dont need to know anything about type of snake.

The anti snake venom is built with ALL snake species in Africa, all in one

True. But knowing the snake specie sometimes helps in symptomatic management. For example, a patient bitten by a snake with haemotoxic venom might not need respiratory assistance, but one bitten by a snake with neurotoxic venom; which can paralyse the respiratory muscles; might. So knowing the venom type might help aid preparations for patient management. Although, as I pointed out, it's not so important that one need waste time over identifying the snake.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
Casemiro:

There is no science behind it. Snakes are scary to people so they invent all kinds of false myths around them. Don't go tackling venemous snakes with kola in your pocket.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Dextre(m): 1:29pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

No need to know the type of snake.

Anti snake venom is created using venoms from all snake species in the continent where it is administered, eg Anti snake venom used in Nigeria is made from venom collected from ALL venomous snakes in africa

Our polyvalent antivenom is from puff adders,carpet vipers, and spitting cobras. I don't think it covers all the venomous snakes we have o. The black mamba isn't covered there I think
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Dextre(m): 1:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

True. But knowing the snake specie sometimes helps in symptomatic management. For example, a patient bitten by a snake with haemotoxic venom might not need respiratory assistance, but one bitten by a snake with neurotoxic venom; which can paralyse the respiratory muscles; might. So knowing the venom type might help aid preparations for patient management. Although, as I pointed out, it's not so important that one need waste time over identifying the snake.

Exactly
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Baselm: 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2019
cRobo:
Was bitten by a centipede last night while alseep and I was really scared also

Thank God it wasn't life threatening

Was afraid that it was a snake

I used hot water to massage the spot to neutralize the venom (because i reseached that night that venom are not heat resistant) but them I very was feverish immediately and felt serious heart palpation

But for snake I don't know

As for that dude that say drink kerosene should be careful of the advice they give on this platform

Was also stung twice by centipede 3 weeks ago, I initially thought it was scorpion when I saw the tentacles. I also searched online and used hot water on the sting area.

For snakebites, try as much as possible to be calm, anxiety increases blood circulation and visit the nearest hospital. Simultaneously, let someone be finding out in the community for any traditional doctor potent with snake bite treatment.

5 years ago,When snake bit my compound guy in the university, when he was taken to the school clinic and the nurses were jittery, I just went to meet a baba I normally greet on my way home and asked him for their traditional remedy to snake bite, he directed us to a baba house, we called and the nurse drove him to the baba house who gave him antivenom and asked him to sleep over so he can observe if it was a mere bite or spiritual attack. Lo and behold, he was the first person to wake us up in the compound the following morning
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by NwsBoy: 1:38pm On Dec 18, 2019
Casemiro:

It is the smell that repels snakes..
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by kay29000(m): 1:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Snakes are very shy animals, they keep away from humans

I noticed that.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by charlsecy(m): 2:38pm On Dec 18, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
The kind of bitter kola i spread around me for my house no be here, window, coners, edges, horizontal, vertical center. Everywhere carry bitter kola..
Does it work?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Bestchoice4me(m): 3:06pm On Dec 18, 2019
Lol.. Weyrey
hardon1:
if the snake bites somebody's head or neck, where would you tie grin grin grin grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by kmaxx(m): 3:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
kay29000:

Wow! You just scared the shit out of me. There are so many snakes in my area...but they always run when they see people.

Not in Anambra.
The snake will just relax & feel at home.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Sprumbaba: 3:33pm On Dec 18, 2019
josh123:
Tie the affected part with rope and drink chilled water to slow the venom

In this hot weather wey light no dey
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Tonymegabush1(m): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2019
charlsecy:
Does it work?

Sure bitter kola do work, there is another, yoraba ppl that roots do have it i have forgotten the name somehow reddish in color
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
Dextre:

Our polyvalent antivenom is from puff adders,carpet vipers, and spitting cobras. I don't think it covers all the venomous snakes we have o. The black mamba isn't covered there I think

From what I know, The anti snake venom used in nigeria is imported from Great Britain. The British government made that particular anti-snale venom for their citizens that are visiting Africa, so it covers all snakes in Africa.

It's also possible that there are other anti snake venom that doesn't cover all, u may be right in ur assertion.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

Yes, u were right in the last thing u said, no need to waste time on identifying the snake.

Technically, by mere looking at a snake, the common man isn't likely going to be able to identify it and explain it to doctors n nurses in the hospital.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
excanny:

There is. So they can apply the right anti venom at the hospital. Just the description is enough.

Nope.

The anti venom administered in africa is built with a combination of all venomous snakes found in each country, region or the entire sub-saharan Africa or even the whole africa.

They dont make 1 anti venom for each snake specie, they combine dem all together. It's just like in antibiotics, its usually broad spectrum. One Antibiotic drug can kill over 30 types of bacteria
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Yes, u were right in the last thing u said, no need to waste time on identifying the snake.

Technically, by mere looking at a snake, the common man isn't likely going to be able to identify it and explain it to doctors n nurses in the hospital.

Yes. But some are easy to identify and most people know them, especially farmers. Like most can tell you whether it was a cobra, mamba or gaboon viper etc. In Nigeria, those are the most likely candidates for a venomous bite anyway.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by AnimationsVilla: 4:34pm On Dec 18, 2019
LordAzubuike:

Oga shut up there. You local people just keep behaving like illiterates. Chew onion drink like lol.. these things aren't even scientifically proven.

Well, I am a scientist and I have proven that it works so, which other science are you waiting for? Oyibo own I guess.

Well, we Nigerians believe that Oyibo must approve of something before it works. Lol. That mentality must change in 2020!
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by AnimationsVilla: 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2019
healthserve:

Charcoal is made up of pure Carbon atoms. And nothing about the make up of carbon atom points to healing.

Please remove this and stop spreading falsehood. The best anti_venoms in emergencies are palm oil and coconut water

Your level of ignorance has rendered me speechless.

Anyway, Google about all the wonderful healing powers of charcoal. At least, if you don't believe a fellow Nigerian, you should believe your slave masters. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 4:46pm On Dec 18, 2019
AnimationsVilla:

Your level of ignorance has rendered me speechless.

Anyway, Google about all the wonderful healing powers of charcoal. At least, if you don't believe a fellow Nigerian, you should believe your slave masters. Lol.

Another fool spotted. You can at least shame me by solving the trivia that led to your calling me names to prove your point beyond belief. Stupeed tin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by kachistone: 4:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
Juliearth:

How can I get this stone please?

I don't know o. My uncle only told me it was brought from Israel.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Eclement(m): 5:19pm On Dec 18, 2019
Not only adults visit Nairaland...
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by excanny: 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Nope.

The anti venom administered in africa is built with a combination of all venomous snakes found in each country, region or the entire sub-saharan Africa or even the whole africa.

They dont make 1 anti venom for each snake specie, they combine dem all together. It's just like in antibiotics, its usually broad spectrum. One Antibiotic drug can kill over 30 types of bacteria

So all snakes are in same family? Or have same type of venom?

What is being done in Africa is because the people living there are not considered "humans".

Yes. One company agreed to to supply antivenom meant for vipers to treat all venomous snake bites.

I'm sure you know what that have caused? More snake bite fatalities. Once bitten by venomous in Africa, one is almost certain to die.

No American or European citizens is treated that way. Cos there's no such thing as a universal antivenom.

Ideally, there should be at least 2 antivenom types for bite treatments from the 2 large snake family, Elipidae and Viperae, also common in Africa.

Their venoms work different. And using the right antivenom, increasing a person's chance of survival without much body damage.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
excanny:

So all snakes are in same family? Or have same type of venom?

What is being done in Africa is because the people living there are not considered "humans".

Yes. One company agreed to to supply antivenom meant for vipers to treat all venomous snake bites.

I'm sure you know what that have caused? More snake bite fatalities. Once bitten by venomous in Africa, one is almost certain to die.

No American or European citizens is treated that way. Cos there's no such thing as a universal antivenom.

Ideally, there should be at least 2 antivenom types for bite treatments from the 2 large snake family, Elipidae and Viperae, also common in Africa.

Their venoms work different. And using the right antivenom, increasing a person's chance of survival without much body damage.

""So all snakes are in same family? Or have same type of venom?""

U did not read what I wrote previously.

Read it again.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 18, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

Yes. But some are easy to identify and most people know them, especially farmers. Like most can tell you whether it was a cobra, mamba or gaboon viper etc. In Nigeria, those are the most likely candidates for a venomous bite anyway.

There are no black or green mambas in Nigeria.

The snake is found only in southern parts of Africa
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by excanny: 6:16pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

""So all snakes are in same family? Or have same type of venom?""

U did not read what I wrote previously.

Read it again.

Read what? I know what you are talking of. Echitab or whats the name can't stand effectively against a carditoxic or neurotoxic snake venom.

You may be lucky to survive a cobra bite but definitely with serious paralysis or amputation, not to talk of the extra cost of administering ineffective vials upon vials of a wrong type of antivenim.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Juliearth(f): 6:29pm On Dec 18, 2019
kachistone:

I don't know o. My uncle only told me it was brought from Israel.

Ok
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by esty57(f): 6:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
urose93:

Please pardon my ignorance, how do we immobilize? Educate me please. Don't just understand what it means.
it simply means not moving.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
excanny:

Read what? I know what you are talking of. Echitab or whats the name can't stand effectively against a carditoxic or neurotoxic snake venom.

You may be lucky to survive a cobra bite but definitely with serious paralysis or amputation, not to talk of the extra cost of administering ineffective vials upon vials of a wrong type of antivenim.

Anti snake venom used in Nigeria is made with a combination of venoms from all venomous snakes in nigeria.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by clive2u(m): 7:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
cRobo:
Was bitten by a centipede last night while alseep and I was really scared also

Thank God it wasn't life threatening

Was afraid that it was a snake

I used hot water to massage the spot to neutralize the venom (because i reseached that night that venom are not heat resistant) but them I very was feverish immediately and felt serious heart palpation

But for snake I don't know

As for that dude that say drink kerosene should be careful of the advice they give on this platform

about the centipede, hot water massage cures it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

11.6kg Skin Removed From The Body Of A Cosmetic Surgery Patient In Lagos (Graphi / How Do U Wash Your Viginal Those Of You That Fix Long Nails / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.