Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (96191 Views)

Snake Bites 2-year-old; Kid Bites Back, Killing It / Snake Bites Married Woman To Death In Obudu, Cross River State (Photo) / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nowenuse: 10:51am On Dec 18, 2019
obailala:
No snake can venom can kill even a rabbit in 4 mins, let alone a human.

I was watching a documentary on Natgeo wild and I heard the commentator say something like this, that a certain snake's bite can kill an adult man within 5 minutes.
It was a documentary on the most poisonous snakes in the world. So, he may be correct.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 11:09am On Dec 18, 2019
Caveman1707:

We are talking of everyday plant and you are giving us all these scientific names. What the hell is aristolochia tagala Biko?

It is called Indian birthwort and locally as Dutchman's pipe.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_0ECC2__IlCM/TPuAYgo993I/AAAAAAAAP4k/bRN7hN30CH4/s1600/IMG_5948.JPG[/img]

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Ayus4u(m): 11:13am On Dec 18, 2019
Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to reduce the venom flow into the blood stream...

look around you and cut cassava leaves (10pcs of the leaves) and chew it and swallow it.

then find your way to nearest hospital.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Greatken007(m): 11:15am On Dec 18, 2019
In fact one of the major function of the charcoal is to prevent or reduce the flow of the venom into the blood. It's a binder. Have you wondered why it is used in water treatment to clean water and it can also be dropped in ur already cooked soup (not grided) to allow it last longer.
One teaspoonful of activated charcoal has about the same total surface area as a football field!
Funny enough they are also administered in emergency room for overdose patients.

healthserve:

Smh. Pour different liquids into a single jar. I. E poison and human blood. How can activated charcoal separate them from one another. I. E how can activated charcoal separate the venom from the blood vessels and then extract it out of the body. Explain using chemistry as a basis of your explanation
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 11:20am On Dec 18, 2019
Greatken007:
In fact one of the major function of the charcoal is to prevent or reduce the flow of the venom into the blood. It's a binder. Have you wondered why it is used in water treatment to clean water and it can also be dropped in ur already cooked soup (not grided) to allow it last longer.
One teaspoonful of activated charcoal has about the same total surface area as a football field!
Funny enough they are also administered in emergency room for overdose patients.

Indeed. Explain how charcoal separates fluids you cant. Bye.

I wonder the Kind of students this country produces.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by obailala(m): 11:23am On Dec 18, 2019
Nowenuse:

I was watching a documentary on Natgeo wild and I heard the commentator say something like this, that a certain snake's bite can kill an adult man within 5 minutes.
It was a documentary on the most poisonous snakes in the world. So, he may be correct.
I'd just like to know the name of this snake.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Greatken007(m): 11:41am On Dec 18, 2019
Brilliant student,clap for yourself. Am not here to teach you separation techniques. You said you are a chemist, please go ahead to teach us, for your information i am a mechanical Engineer, although i don't have strength to tow the line you seek
healthserve:

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 18, 2019
Donald95:

My question now is this,What medicine (Whether traditional or not) could be be administered into someone who has been bitten by any kind of snake to slow down the reaction or even quench it in case Hospital is far away ?

I dont think there's any proven traditional medicine that can be given to a snake bite victim.

The only thing is to relax, dont run (to avoid higher blood pumping which will spread the venom faster), find a car, go to the hospital, a big general hospital...they usually have anti snake venom and if administered on time, there's a very good chance of survival
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 18, 2019
Nowenuse:

Fastest acting venom would only kill a human from 20 minutes and above. If a snake bites a person and strikes very small arteries or capillaries, it will take maybe hours for the person to die, but if the snake bites a major vein, death would be quick, 20 a 30 minutes

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 18, 2019
Ayus4u:
Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to reduce the venom flow into the blood stream...

look around you and cut cassava leaves (10pcs of the leaves) and chew it and swallow it.

then find your way to nearest hospital.

These things u listed wont work, especially tying a rope
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 18, 2019
healthserve:

Browse it urself
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 18, 2019
Christane:
jst keep screaming till somebody cum nd help u or jst get ready to die. becus d venom spread very fast nd might paralyze d effected area

Not every snakes venom is neurotoxic
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 18, 2019
GenBuhari:
sounds like some questionable advice is being offered. Can people offering advice include some links as proof of authenticity?

I read here that Bitter cola is a natural remedy, perhaps that may be reason snakes dislike it.

https://allpromonigeria..com/2016/02/how-to-cure-snake-bites-with-natural.html?m=1

Smh
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by darealez(m): 12:05pm On Dec 18, 2019
tohyorsih2:
Tie the affected part and lick Aporo Epa Ijebu
you broke my heart grin grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Kevinsamba: 12:05pm On Dec 18, 2019
Yes of course not on snake though but on scorpion, centipede and dog bites
So, if it works in these three
Shouldn't I have believe that it should also work for snake bites
3kay945:

With these assertions , have you tested it on snake bite before? If not, why are you so sure ?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 18, 2019
realstars:
There is a special leave for snake bite, the same leave is used for dog bite too.

Secondly, tide the regon, cut it to bleed out the poison then chew some slice of onions to protect your heart from the venom infection.

Dogs do not have venom.

Tieing the region of the bite wouldn't help in anyway, once venom hits the blood stream, it will move with great speed cuz blood flow is very fast

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 18, 2019
Dextre:

Immobilise ur leg,make sure u know the type of snake..den go to an hospital. Thing is if the snake is venomous(depending on the snake sha),your life is literally dependent on time whether u immobilise or not. Just get to an hospital in 30mins at most( if venomous)

No need to know the type of snake.

Anti snake venom is created using venoms from all snake species in the continent where it is administered, eg Anti snake venom used in Nigeria is made from venom collected from ALL venomous snakes in africa
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 18, 2019
excanny:

You don't need any first aid, rush to hospital immediately after a snake bite. Just take note of how the snake looks if you were unable to kill it.

No need to know the snake
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by AzuanukaBig: 12:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
foolbuster:

Please stop spreading false info. This is serious, someone will actually read this thinking its true and might end up gulping kerosene.

Please dont drink kerosene under any circumstance snake bite or whatever it can kill you.
It is not false info! I have seen someone that drank kerosene and ate plenty onion after bitten by a snake
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
andy244:
I have gone through this tread with the aim to get some information. Unfortunately none is here. I learned about the kerosene way years back.

Kerosene would do nothing.

Just dont run, relax as much a possible, get to a car and go to a big hospital, they usually have anti snake venom
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2019
fkj950ax:
1. Note the Snake's Appearance
Be ready to describe the snake to emergency staff.
2. Protect the Person
While waiting for medical help:

Move the person beyond striking distance of the snake.
Have the person lie down with wound below the heart.
Keep the person calm and at rest, remaining as still as possible to keep venom from spreading.
Cover the wound with loose, sterile bandage.
Remove any jewelry from the area that was bitten.
Remove shoes if the leg or foot was bitten.

Do not:
Cut a bite wound
Attempt to suck out venom
Apply tourniquet, ice, or water
Give the person alcohol or caffeinated drinks or any other medications

3. Follow Up
If you treat the bite at home:
Contact a health care provider. The person may need a tetanus shot. Tetanus boosters should be given every 10 years.
At the hospital, treatment will depend on the type of snake.
If the snake was venomous, the person will be given anti-venom treatment.
A tetanus shot may be given, depending on date of last injection.

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/snakebite-treatment

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 18, 2019
leoHomo:
gbogbonise works but the problem with the boy's case is that the poison has already circulated round his system so nothing can be done

Gbogbonise might work cuz it us actually made using snake venom.

But no one has ever really practicalized the use of gbogbonise to see exactly how it works.

We should get a Guinea pig, administer cobra venom into it and then give the Guinea pig gbogbonise to see if it will subdue the venom n prevent the guinea pig from dying
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 18, 2019
AnimationsVilla:
Chew raw onions. This will localize the venom to only the spot that was bitten.

Alternatively, cut lime and drink half while attaching the remaining half to the spot. It will sick out the venom.

Ginger paste application can also do the job.

Hospital is the only way bro.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 18, 2019
Coldfeets:

No, they can never be the same.

Rattlesnake is on a different plane when it comes to poisonous snakes.

You can start comparing rattlesnakes to king cobras in the potency of their deadly venoms.

Cobra venom is far more powerful than any specie of rattle snake venom
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 18, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

1 and 2 are old school and don't work. 3 is an old wives' tale.

@Op. Sit the person down comfortably and calmly with the bitten area as low below his heart as possible. No alcohol, no running around, no shouting commands at him, and no excitement as all these will make his heart pump the poison faster through his body. Then get him to a hospital in that state. If you keep the patient calm, you have like 2-3 hours minimum to get him to a hospital; depending on how well the snake bit him and the type of snake. If you can identify the snake, do so; but don't waste time trying to catch it for identification, it's not that important.

U are 100% correct.

Except that u dont need to know anything about type of snake.

The anti snake venom is built with ALL snake species in Africa, all in one
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2019
Adalasy:

I am an alternative medicine practitioner in Ghana and treating venomous snake bites is easy with herbs.

You can use the following herbs

1) Acalypa indica Leaf paste applied over the bitten part or paste smeared on spot of bite 3 to 4 days of this would clear any venom of any snake and heal the puncture

2) Achyranthes aspera whole plant extract or root extract is given orally.

3) Aegle marmelos Decoction/extract (twice a day up to 5 days) of the leaves is given orally or root bark extract is administered internally for every 4 hours up to 3 days.

4) Alangium salvifolium About 15 g of bark, ground with 10 to 12 black peppers and mixed with 60 g animal fat, is given every 2 hours to cure snakebite. The Root bark decoction is given internally to treat.

5) Allium sativum Bulb is made into paste and given orally.

6) Andrographis echioides Nees Paste of whole plant is given orally with water. It is also applied externally.

7) Andrographis lineate Paste of leaves is applied externally. About 30 g of whole plant paste is directly administered orally.

8 ) Aristolochia bracteolate Leaves paste applied externally as well as infusion is taken orally.

9) Aristolochia indica Fresh roots are grounded along with rouwalfia serpentina mixed in water taken twice daily for 3 days. The Root powder is snuffed, root juice is given orally and root paste applied locally.

10) Aristolochia tagala root Crushed, mixed with water and drunk as well as fresh roots are grounded and applied externally on affected portion.

There are many more plants you can use and i cannot list them all but do note that the above handles any kind of venomous bite of any snake. Just make sure you apply them within a space of 5 to 10mins after the bite maximum. Also ensure you have a tourniquet tied above the place one has been bitten while preparing these herbs to avoid a speedy intravenous movement of the venom to essential organs.

Which animal have u used as guinea pig to test these herbs?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 18, 2019
kay29000:

Wow! You just scared the shit out of me. There are so many snakes in my area...but they always run when they see people.

Snakes are very shy animals, they keep away from humans

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 18, 2019
obailala:
Who told you there are no mambas in Nigeria?.... Those devils are all over the place, the black mambas specifically. I call them devils because unlike other snakes that only attack when threatened and cornered, black mambas will actually come for you unprovoked, and if you dare provoke them, they chase after you for long distances. They can be extremely fast. Those things are nothing but demons.

No Sir, There are no black Mambas in nigeria.

And no snakes chases around human beings pls
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by fkj950ax(m): 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

I couldn't post the whole article. Hence the link

Most time people are in shock, they can't even describe the snake not to talk of knowing the name.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 18, 2019
fkj950ax:

I couldn't post the whole article. Hence the link

Most time people are in shock, they can't even describe the snake not to talk of knowing the name.

Anti snake venom administered in africa is created using the venom of ALL venomous snakes found in africa. It's an ALL in one injection that covers every venomous snake
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 18, 2019
darealez:
you broke my heart grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by babtoundey(m): 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2019
Adalasy:

I am Ghanaian and the names i know them by are Ghanaian names and not Nigerian which was why i gave the botanical names. Anyone who wants to know the plant should just pick the botanical name, and search for it on google and see what the plant looks like. A lot of them are right in our neighbourhoods

alright. Thanks for your input.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How Do U Wash Your Viginal Those Of You That Fix Long Nails / 11.6kg Skin Removed From The Body Of A Cosmetic Surgery Patient In Lagos (Graphi / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.