Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (96058 Views)

Snake Bites 2-year-old; Kid Bites Back, Killing It / Snake Bites Married Woman To Death In Obudu, Cross River State (Photo) / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by sylve11: 6:56am On Dec 18, 2019
Adalasy:

I am an alternative medicine practitioner in Ghana and treating venomous snake bites is easy with herbs.

You can use the following herbs

1) Acalypa indica Leaf paste applied over the bitten part or paste smeared on spot of bite 3 to 4 days of this would clear any venom of any snake and heal the puncture

2) Achyranthes aspera whole plant extract or root extract is given orally.

3) Aegle marmelos Decoction/extract (twice a day up to 5 days) of the leaves is given orally or root bark extract is administered internally for every 4 hours up to 3 days.

4) Alangium salvifolium About 15 g of bark, ground with 10 to 12 black peppers and mixed with 60 g animal fat, is given every 2 hours to cure snakebite. The Root bark decoction is given internally to treat.

5) Allium sativum Bulb is made into paste and given orally.

6) Andrographis echioides Nees Paste of whole plant is given orally with water. It is also applied externally.

7) Andrographis lineate Paste of leaves is applied externally. About 30 g of whole plant paste is directly administered orally.

8 ) Aristolochia bracteolate Leaves paste applied externally as well as infusion is taken orally.

9) Aristolochia indica Fresh roots are grounded along with rouwalfia serpentina mixed in water taken twice daily for 3 days. The Root powder is snuffed, root juice is given orally and root paste applied locally.

10) Aristolochia tagala root Crushed, mixed with water and drunk as well as fresh roots are grounded and applied externally on affected portion.

There are many more plants you can use and i cannot list them all but do note that the above handles any kind of venomous bite of any snake. Just make sure you apply them within a space of 5 to 10mins after the bite maximum. Also ensure you have a tourniquet tied above the place one has been bitten while preparing these herbs to avoid a speedy intravenous movement of the venom to essential organs.

cool

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Henrhyme4u(m): 6:59am On Dec 18, 2019
Donald95:

My question now is this,What medicine (Whether traditional or not) could be be administered into someone who has been bitten by any kind of snake to slow down the reaction or even quench it in case Hospital is far away ?

The best traditional medicine traditionally in such situation is eating an uncooked walnut, and if you have Aporo (mixture of different substances, only south western can relate) just incise the area of bite and rub it with aporo and lick small, prior to arrival of doctor who will further the treatment, but eating raw walnut is very effective, however it depends on d type of snake that bite you, as some have very strong venom.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 7:11am On Dec 18, 2019
Joystark:

More reason you should use common terms, not medical jargon.

For communication to happen, the message has to be understood. Else na space you just book.

I am Ghanaian and the names i know them by are Ghanaian names and not Nigerian which was why i gave the botanical names. Anyone who wants to know the plant should just pick the botanical name, and search for it on google and see what the plant looks like. A lot of them are right in our neighbourhoods
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by paltielx: 7:17am On Dec 18, 2019
My dad was a herbalist and medical practitioner, i with once he treated a snake bite victim with BITTER COLA. He always told us to take bitter bitter cola whenever any case of snake bite happens to reduce the venom spreading and sick medical attention immediately. Also try to identify the snake that bites because it help the doctors to know the right medical attention to give you.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Xbee007(m): 7:20am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:
1 - Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to reduce the venom flow into the blood stream...

2 - Cut open the bite areawit a knife or blade and try to such out d venom

3 - place a cut of onions on d region.

NB: Do all d above while rushing the victim to the hospital
This is a very terrible advice and you have succeeded in misleading a lot of people. All these advises you gave have been thoroughly disproved and regarded as extremely dangerous and even counterproductive. I will advice you to take it down for the sake of people who will be using it in the future or you edit it accordingly.

Here are some sources with better suggestions on what to do:
https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/snakebite-treatment

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/snake-bite2.htm

The right thing to do is to research the topic and correct your post accordingly. You may never know whose life you'd be saving in the future.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Emmasnoop(m): 7:58am On Dec 18, 2019
josh123:
Tie the affected part with rope and drink chilled water to slow the venom

This write up above is wrong, you can actually tie above the affected place but if you give the victim water to drink you have suceeded in killing him or her because the water will help to spread the virus.
If No access to the hospital give the victim cassaava to eat or gbogboliche to leak Why you take the person to hospital.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Rich4god(m): 8:03am On Dec 18, 2019
obailala:
No snake can venom can kill even a rabbit in 4 mins, let alone a human.
Make your research... Some snakes kills in less than that.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 8:03am On Dec 18, 2019
Emmasnoop:

This write up above is wrong, if you give the victim water you have suceeded in killing the him or her because the water will help to spread the virus.
If No access to the hospital give the victim cassaava to eat or gbogboliche to leak Why you take the person to hospital.

You are wrong please.

He said Chilled water and not just water.

Drinking cold water or having a quick bath with cold water helps slow down blood circulation. Pay attention to what you read please before you condemn.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Adalasy: 8:07am On Dec 18, 2019
Rich4god:

Absolutely no snake venom can kill in 4 mins or less.

On the average a snake venom kills within 20mins to a few hours.

20mins if it is a black Mamba and that depends on the volume of venom it injects into you. Other Venomous snakes often deliver dry bites as they preserve their venom for their meals but will deter anything else with a dry bite
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 18, 2019
Please don't try to suck the venom out is very very very very very very very dangerous u might die depending on the type of snake that bit you . just tie the leg and sick help . smiley
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by maasoap(m): 8:20am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:
1 - Tightly tie the upper region and lower region of the bite wit a rope to reduce the venom flow into the blood stream...

The victim must not be made to exercise (like walking a long distance) in order to keep blood flow in his system minimal. The victim need to be calm as much as possible.
The rope or belt used to tie the upper part of the bite area should be loosened every ten minutes for about 15 seconds to prevent necrosis
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Bigajeff(m): 8:24am On Dec 18, 2019
I was once a victim of snake bite and it happen at night and no way to make it to the hospital that night.

The upper part of my leg was tied to disallow the upper flow of the venom while a new razor blade was used to make cuts on the bites region to allow blood flow.

With one mind I slept overnight till the next morning but my leg has swollen like times 3. Only for me to rush down to the hospital

I was quickly administer like 5 anti venom injection and place on admission.

Note: I took a great risk to have slept overnight with it according to the doctor. He was very mad at my parents and tell them no matter what, Rush the victim to the nearest hospital for immediate attention.

I survived it though. and later took some local sub like uncooked Awusa or Asala in Yoruba, I ate it raw, it was very bitter.

Summary: quickly calm the victim down, tied the upper region to disallow movement to the heart and cut the bite region to allow blood flow. and immediately take the victim to the hospital as urgent as immediately even at the middle of the night.

This is my own experience Sha, what I survived, you can but what work for me might not work for you.

Life has no second half act fast
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Juliearth(f): 8:33am On Dec 18, 2019
kachistone:

Everything you said is true. My uncle told me the stone got stuck to his leg while draining the poison out.

God really created things.

How can I get this stone please?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by planetx: 8:33am On Dec 18, 2019
Adalasy:

I am an alternative medicine practitioner in Ghana and treating venomous snake bites is easy with herbs.

1) Acalypa indica Leaf paste applied over the bitten part or paste smeared on spot of bite 3 to 4 days of this would clear any venom of any snake and heal the puncture

3) Aegle marmelos Decoction/extract (twice a day up to 5 days) of the leaves is given orally or root bark extract is administered internally for every 4 hours up to 3 days.

4) Alangium salvifolium About 15 g of bark, ground with 10 to 12 black peppers and mixed with 60 g animal fat, is given every 2 hours to cure snakebite. The Root bark decoction is given internally to treat.

6) Andrographis echioides Nees Paste of whole plant is given orally with water. It is also applied externally.

7) Andrographis lineate Paste of leaves is applied externally. About 30 g of whole plant paste is directly administered orally.

8 ) Aristolochia bracteolate Leaves paste applied externally as well as infusion is taken orally.

9) Aristolochia indica Fresh roots are grounded along with rouwalfia serpentina mixed in water taken twice daily for 3 days. The Root powder is snuffed, root juice is given orally and root paste applied locally.

10) Aristolochia tagala root Crushed, mixed with water and drunk as well as fresh roots are grounded and applied externally on affected portion.

There are many more plants you can use and i cannot list them all but do note that the above handles any kind of venomous bite of any snake. Just make sure you apply them within a space of 5 to 10mins after the bite maximum. Also ensure you have a tourniquet tied above the place one has been bitten while preparing these herbs to avoid a speedy intravenous movement of the venom to essential organs.
Looks more like information you lifted online with all this biological names.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by foolbuster: 8:39am On Dec 18, 2019
lovchalice:
my dear it's not fake. Three tablespoon of kerosene can't kill anyone but will kill the venom quickly and stop it from spreading. Why not ask around. That's the first aid my cousin that is a professor at FUTO gave the mum when she was bitten by a snake. He is a research botanist. There was no swelling whatsoever

Ok. Maybe you are right.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by tritt(m): 8:39am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:

What if the snake com bite you for scrotum?...Just thinking out loud ohh

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Cappidona: 8:57am On Dec 18, 2019
Was bitten by a poisonous snake 10 years ago,late at night, my dad gave me kerosene to drink, tied the upper region to stop the poison from circulating,used razor to scrape the surface of where I was bitten.had to stay all nite crying with discomfort before I was taken to the hospital in the morning.kerosene does the magic.tested and trusted
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by tck2000(m): 8:57am On Dec 18, 2019
Oh
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by obailala(m): 9:00am On Dec 18, 2019
Rich4god:

Mention their names biko...
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Lotusflowerbomb: 9:19am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:

some people also suck out the poison with their mouth. Is this hygienic?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Greatken007(m): 9:22am On Dec 18, 2019
Oga charcoal is the best antidote for poison , for those who did chemistry in secondary School and can still recall this topic... Carbon and its compound, please check your Ababio text book again you will see both animal and wood charcoal and one of the characteristics of such charcoal clearly states that charcoal absorb poison. Ordinary i consume it at least twice a week due to our environment that is already polluted with different kind of substances in the atmosphere.
Just mix with water and drink. For those who rear grasscutters this won't be new to you too since you are advised to add charcoal in water and give to your grasscutters in event of any strange pattern noticed in their behavior.
healthserve:

Charcoal is made up of pure Carbon atoms. And nothing about the make up of carbon atom points to healing.

Please remove this and stop spreading falsehood. The best anti_venoms in emergencies are palm oil and coconut water
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by dawnomike(m): 9:30am On Dec 18, 2019
Alright...Thanks!
I will do the needful
Xbee007:

This is a very terrible advice and you have succeeded in misleading a lot of people. All these advises you gave have been thoroughly disproved and regarded as extremely dangerous and even counterproductive. I will advice you to take it down for the sake of people who will be using it in the future or you edit it accordingly.

Here are some sources with better suggestions on what to do:
https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/snakebite-treatment

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/snake-bite2.htm

The right thing to do is to research the topic and correct your post accordingly. You may never know whose life you'd be saving in the future.

Thank you.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 9:31am On Dec 18, 2019
Greatken007:
Oga charcoal is the best antidote for poison , for those who did chemistry in secondary School and can still recall this topic... Carbon and its compound, please check your Ababio text book again you will see both animal and wood charcoal and one of the characteristics of such charcoal clearly states that charcoal absorb poison. Ordinary i consume it at least twice a week due to our environment that is already polluted with different kind of substances in the atmosphere.
Just mix with water and drink. For those who rear grasscutters this won't be new to you too since you are advised to add charcoal in water and give to your grasscutters in event of any strange pattern noticed in their behavior.

Activated charcoal absorbs yes. But explain using chemistry how charcoal will separate the toxin inside the body and separate it from the blood and then extract it from the body

Mind you, you're speaking to an Emeritus Chemist.

Now, explain how this will occur theoretically
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Caveman1707: 9:32am On Dec 18, 2019
Adalasy:

We are talking of everyday plant and you are giving us all these scientific names. What the hell is aristolochia tagala Biko?
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by OgbeniSamm(m): 9:41am On Dec 18, 2019
You can take anti venom injection. That lasts for 5 years and then you can renew.

There are 2 remedies that I know, traditionally.

1. Tie the area above the bite with a piece of cloth or rope to prevent the free flow of the venom to the heart region, and make cuttings with razor blade on the affected part. Get the latex from bitter leaf into a cup, mix with a sizable proportion of table salt. Give the victim to drink of the mixture and apply the rest in the surface of the bite. Do this 3 times in 6 hours. The patient will be alright.

2. If you can get a cobra head. Dry it very well, then burn it into ashes. Anytime there is a snake bite, apply the ashes to the surface of the bite and give the victim to also lick. It's very effective.

NB: Nine is as effective as getting a medical treatment. Always endeavour to seek medical advice and attention please.

Good.luck.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by sleek82(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2019
Coldfeets:

No, they can never be the same.

Rattlesnake is on a different plane when it comes to poisonous snakes.

You can start comparing rattlesnakes to king cobras in the potency of their deadly venoms.
rattlers are the same family as vipers with similarities in long fangs and the same type of venom (I have forgotten the name they call their type of venom). The venom is different from snakes like the cobra because the venom of a cobra and the likes attack the respiratory system while that of a viper or rattlers as you may call it attacks tissues right from the bite point, you can do your research
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by medexico(m): 10:03am On Dec 18, 2019
Donald95:

Thanks. I heard tying the region is dangerous
even sucking the venom
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by sleek82(m): 10:07am On Dec 18, 2019
healthserve:

Activated charcoal absorbs yes. But explain using chemistry how charcoal will separate the toxin inside the body and separate it from the blood and then extract it from the body

Oga you are wicked oooo, your question is just like asking him to write JAMB again cheesy cheesy grin
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Xbee007(m): 10:12am On Dec 18, 2019
dawnomike:
Alright...Thanks!
I will do the needful
Thank you for understanding.
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 10:20am On Dec 18, 2019
sleek82:
Oga you are wicked oooo, your question is just like asking him to write JAMB again cheesy cheesy grin

On the contrary. I finished with WAEC decades ahead of him
Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by Greatken007(m): 10:28am On Dec 18, 2019
The activated charcoal (hope you remember activation energy in ur entropy diagram , exothermic and endothermic , anyway i did that long ago, i am now a mechanical engineer and not a chemist) but on a serious note the charcoal is an absorber and so the toxins simply binds on the charcoal which can easily be passed through faeces. Am open to learning . I don't take for granted intellectuals on nairaland.
Thanks
healthserve:

Re: What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? by healthserve(m): 10:32am On Dec 18, 2019
Greatken007:
The activated charcoal (hope you remember activation energy in ur entropy diagram , exothermic and endothermic , anyway i did that long ago, i am now a mechanical engineer and not a chemist) but on a serious note the charcoal is an absorber and so the toxins simply binds on the charcoal which can easily be passed through faeces. Am open to learning . I don't take for granted intellectuals on nairaland.
Thanks

Smh. Pour different liquids into a single jar. I. E poison and human blood. How can activated charcoal separate them from one another. I. E how can activated charcoal separate the venom from the blood vessels and then extract it out of the body. Explain using chemistry as a basis of your explanation

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Am I At Risk Of HIV Infection After Sex In Imo Hotel? / Man Bleeding To Death At Idi-Iroko Bridge Maryland Mall, Lagos (Photos) / 11.6kg Skin Removed From The Body Of A Cosmetic Surgery Patient In Lagos (Graphi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.