Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 (24148 Views)

Senate To Invite Emefiele Over Naira Devaluation / Rising Food Prices, Serial Naira Devaluation Compound Nigerians’ Woes / Naira Set To Hit N500 At Parallel Market After CBN Devaluation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by xpmode(m): 8:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
ednut1:
they should keep defending the naira with scarce fx

But they were able to grow the FR while defending the naira since last four years doubled the number they met it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by itsme01: 8:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
Debaiz:

You captured everything nigeria needs in this comment.

I’ve been telling people about the importance of Ajaokuta steel to a country under construction for a very long time. How can a huge country with massive structural gap be importing steel. I still want to know anything that doesn’t involve iron. Just Anything from start to finish that doesn’t involve iron and here we are importing everything iron.

People keep saying power is the key to our development. I believe the key to our development is Ajaokuta.

The steel China used for construction in the 21century alone is more than what the whole west used in 100years. The fact report is online.

The price we used to construct all those new rail, trains to be used on it, Dangote refinery and most of our projects would’ve been more than halved if we had Ajaokuta running. Not to talk of the export potential to west Africa, whole of Africa and beyond.

the sad part is USSR/Russia built chinese major steel plants for them when chinese was in a really bad shape, the chinese picked it up and turn around their story.. USSR/Russia did the same with Ajaoukuta and instead of giving them the funds to complete it we started looting the funds back to back

5 Likes

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Ekpekus(m): 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2019
Daniel058:
The devaluation will affect many Nigerians Whereas Nigerians in diaspora and forex traders are praying for $1=#1000 smiley
Badt guys grin grin

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by millhouse: 8:43pm On Dec 23, 2019
Vortex369:
There will be Global Depression and Recession in 2020.

Relocate to the nearest villages and grow your own food.

It will be worse. Because all Sovereign Savings and External Reserves will be zeroed and US Debts, written off.

You will drink your oil and Fulanis will hoard their produce.

convert your naira to dollar now !!!!!!
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
millhouse:
convert your naira to dollar now !!!!!!

Ha ha,

I dont remember the last time I kept my values in local currencies. Even the hard currencies, you need to have some buried under a tree, metaphorically speaking, in case there is a war or something and the banks are frozen.

Always a prepper.

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Bighead9: 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
mrvitalis:

Firstly the east contribute a lot of human recourses in this country

Without Igbo's many town in the north would be without pharmacist and doctors
When it comes to business I don't need to tell you that one

Human recourse >>> natural resources

East host Nigerian crude oil reserves and Nigerian largest gas deposit

As for foreign investment ,god forbid ,we don't need that ...someone invest 20 million makes profit of 100billion and take it away

If there are any need for investment the Igbo's would do it

Obi Jackson is handling our gas pipeline lope
We are seeking Igbo's to invest in out rail line project ...people like me are ready to buy shares

Keep depending on foreign investors thats why Africa won't grow

Trash.

See imaginary figures. Show us proves of what the East contribute to the economy. The East is a tiny underdeveloped Region. Which contribute nothing to the economy.

The only thing they contribute is crimes. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by GuestLog: 8:49pm On Dec 23, 2019
Vidsolution79:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuD4GD-9xJikz1rgXiYtW1g
Please ..nairalanders help a friend!
Subscribe to my channel please!
Done! I wish you well.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Debaiz: 8:49pm On Dec 23, 2019
itsme01:

the sad part is USSR/Russia built chinese major steel plants for them when chinese was in a really bad shape, the chinese picked it up and turn around their story.. USSR/Russia did the same with Ajaoukuta and instead of giving them the funds to complete it we started looting the funds back to back

I read PMB has handed it back to them but when it will start is what I don’t know. I believe Ajaokuta should’ve been the first thing for Any serious government.

Steel is the main reason the auto industry bill GEJ signed couldn’t have any effect. Everything needed for the development of any country is directly or indirectly tied to steel. One of the earliest and oldest source of foreign trade is steel and one of the reason colonialists leave their countries for africa is in search for steel. That’s the reason why the first thing they mostly do is to construct rails for easy movement.

PMB has done a lot but If Ajaokuta is not complete before he leaves, then to me he has failed irrespective of what he’s done.

3 Likes

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by mrvitalis(m): 8:54pm On Dec 23, 2019
Bighead9:

Trash.

See imaginary figures. Show us proves of what the East contribute to the economy. The East is a tiny underdeveloped Region. Which contribute nothing to the economy.

The only thing they contribute is crimes. grin grin grin
I know for sure your landlord is Igbo ...go pay your rent
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by rusher14: 8:55pm On Dec 23, 2019
Daniel058:
The devaluation will affect many Nigerians Whereas Nigerians in diaspora and forex traders are praying for $1=#1000 smiley

No Nigerian in diaspora wishes that.

They are well aware attendant inflation follows such devaluation.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Daniel058(m): 9:01pm On Dec 23, 2019
rusher14:

No Nigerian in diaspora wishes that.

They are well aware attendant inflation follows such devaluation.
read my comment again cool
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 23, 2019
mrvitalis:

What do the Fulani's produce ?
Middle belt and hausa never talk na Fulani ...even goat and cow na from Niger

Do I have to remind you that Niger are Fulani?
Ha ha

A word is for the wise
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Kingspin(m): 9:06pm On Dec 23, 2019
Nigeria keeps borrowing even when they know they have no future.

Useless leaders/economy will borrow 10billion and execute projects worth 1billion.

Before we could ask a question about 9Billion balance tenure over.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by KaptainAfrika: 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2019
How can one profit from this biko.

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Kubernetes: 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
Fed gvt may be looking at devalueing to reduce the cost of a country's exports which can help shrink trade deficit as it will reduce the cost of a country's exports, rendering them more competitive in the global market, which in turn, increases the cost of imports, so domestic consumers are less likely to purchase them, further strengthening domestic businesses. Because exports increase and imports decrease, it favors a better balance of payments by shrinking trade deficits. That means a country that devalues its currency can reduce its deficit because of the strong demand for cheaper exports

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by awoo47: 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
Vortex369:
There will be Global Depression and Recession in 2020.

Relocate to the nearest villages and grow your own food.

It will be worse. Because all Sovereign Savings and External Reserves will be zeroed and US Debts, written off.

You will drink your oil and Fulanis will hoard their produce.

what do u mean global? China economy will keep increasing no Matter what happens
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Reference(m): 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2019
This is what I said in 2015 when this government first came in with a lot of political capital. That the naira should be floated and gas subsidies removed. A lot of Nigerians argued to the contrary seeming to prefer pills to surgery, management to radical steps.

Years down the line we are staring down the barrel of the gun, between the rock and a hard place, having exhausted all the economic pills of credit and taxation we are contemplating doing the needful... with an almost ruined economy.

Nigerians abeg, isn't it a tragedy to remove subsidies on fuel and the dollar when we are at the same time neck deep in debt. Why this double tragedy on the people of Nigeria. Why..

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Heffalump(m): 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2019
Another speculation to make the Dollar jump undecided
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by rusher14: 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2019
Reference:
This is what I said in 2015 when this government first came in with a lot of political capital. That the naira should be floated and gas subsidies removed. A lot of Nigerians argued to the contrary seeming to prefer pills to surgery, management to radical steps.

Years down the line we are staring down the barrel of the gun, between the rock and a hard place, having exhausted all the economic pills of credit and taxation we are contemplating doing the needful... with an almost ruined economy.

Nigerians abeg, isn't it a tragedy to remove subsidies on fuel and the dollar when we are at the same time neck deep in debt. Why this double tragedy on the people of Nigeria. Why..

People realised we had no working refineries and all that would happen would be the cost ot petroleum products going through the roof.

With Dangote's refinery we are in a different situation altogether.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by grandstar(m): 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
I doubt Buhari has the guts to do it especially after denying the fact it exist

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by paix(m): 9:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
visijo:
Why do footballers sweat when the stadiums are filled with fans ���
Why do guilty people sweat even under the AC?

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Fuckgovt: 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2019
I thought one old fool said fuel subsidy never existed, that it was a scam.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by obailala(m): 10:53pm On Dec 23, 2019
itsme01:
cool

Buhari wouldnt dare.. but then again it is his last term and he seem to be unpredictable

Subsidy would die a natural death when Dangote refinery becomes functional with the modular refineries springing up and the NNPC refineries working to atleast 50% installed capacity, we can simply rich an agreement on crude oil swap for refined products and save scarce forex

The truth about devaluation is if we can fix Power and get Ajaokuta steel plant running to service industries, we wouldnt be needing dollars as much as we do

Dangote will not sell fuel for N145, he would price it at well over N200. Even with Dangote and the other modular refineries functioning 100%, government will still need to pay subsidies for petrol to sell for N145.

2 Likes

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Poanan: 10:56pm On Dec 23, 2019
itsme01:
cool

Buhari wouldnt dare.. but then again it is his last term and he seem to be unpredictable

Subsidy would die a natural death when Dangote refinery becomes functional with the modular refineries springing up and the NNPC refineries working to atleast 50% installed capacity, we can simply rich an agreement on crude oil swap for refined products and save scarce forex

The truth about devaluation is if we can fix Power and get Ajaokuta steel plant running to service industries, we wouldnt be needing dollars as much as we do

Dangote is not enough to kill the issue of subisdy. The dangote refinery is a step but not the answer. The crude oil swap has being on, how did you think Aluko made his money? They were just lifting oil without returning any refined crude, not just Aluko but a host of others. As for Ajaokuta steel, Nigerians should forget about it. Yes, cos that organisation will be filled with people who are connected to the government, then they start to declare loss every year. Some of those losses these parastatals declare are deliberate. If you doubt me, go to the parastatals this period and see the way contractors are queued. Nobody goes on leave this period cos all monies must be shared.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Commanderinpips: 11:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
Daniel058:

It seems you are selfish bros. Atleast pity people now

1 Like

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by armadeo(m): 11:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
cooooooks:
I don't think there'll be a devaluation but there might and should be subsidy removal.

The biggest drag on the federal reserves is the purchasing of oil products. With Dangote's refinery coming online, I seriously doubt that they'll devalue the naira.

An entire country waiting for one private man to save them.

We should all just become workers for him.

Na wa oh.
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by mrchineke: 11:25pm On Dec 23, 2019
Kubernetes:
Fed gvt may be looking at devalueing to reduce the cost of a country's exports which can help shrink trade deficit as it will reduce the cost of a country's exports, rendering them more competitive in the global market, which in turn, increases the cost of imports, so domestic consumers are less likely to purchase them, further strengthening domestic businesses. Because exports increase and imports decrease, it favors a better balance of payments by shrinking trade deficits. That means a country that devalues its currency can reduce its deficit because of the strong demand for cheaper exports

Theoretical textbook nonsense! Is Nigeria a manufacturing country with loyal foreign customers?

2 Likes

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by tiredoflife(m): 2:41am On Dec 24, 2019
itsme01:

ajaokuta isnt a fools mission but the only game changer fustrated by the west, but be rest assured with russia firing thing up we a good to go,

Buhari built the 3 refinery but babangida abacha and pdp couldnt do a simple turn around maintainace cos of stupid corrup mentality now its is being done so expect it fully running soon

Are u not tired of telling lies
Buhari built which refinery
God will help u lots

Pdp didnt do anything to them

Ok your Buhari is back
Why are they not working after 4yrs in power
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by Enemyofpeace: 3:06am On Dec 24, 2019
Naija don finish

Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by delgroveng(m): 3:24am On Dec 24, 2019
Very true, those who do not understand why the many restrictions on foreign exchange, quota on importation of many goods when their are no local replacement yet. As well as forex quota on items as school fees, shows the Federal Government is aware of the minimal reserve available to back the naira's current value. This Government likes a lot of spending and care less about external income generation or progressive internal income contribution, also they are stretched beyond thing and have gradually sent the message about devaluation. The question now is? How do you hedge against devaluation
jconsulting:
I foresee this since about naira devaulation
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by mrvitalis(m): 3:41am On Dec 24, 2019
Vortex369:

Do I have to remind you that Niger are Fulani?
Ha ha

A word is for the wise
Niger are Hausa's not Fulani
Re: Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 by cooooooks(m): 3:50am On Dec 24, 2019
The FG is banking on him more than anyone else. They gave him forex at crazy low rates so they need that investment to pay off.

The implications of a devaluation, during a recession (or period of slow growth) and whilst our exports haven't increased are just too drastic to be allowed.

armadeo:

An entire country waiting for one private man to save them.

We should all just become workers for him.

Na wa oh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

News Break :rivers State Civil Service Commission Chairman Shot Dead / Food Prices In Governor Sanwo-Olu's Subsidised Market Higher Than Actual Market' / Cable Car Project On The Verge Of Completion – Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.