Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,753 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent (43582 Views)

GUO Motors Attacked, Passengers Kidnapped, Driver Shot Dead. Girl Abandoned / JUST IN: Sir Abel Omoruyi Ceo/Owner Iyare Motors Is Dead (pics) / The Mercedes Benz Sprinter Introduced By "God Is Good Motors" To Delta Line (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by cheechee1(m): 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2019
This is a matter of concern for the entire people out there who will be travelling this December. It happened to a very close relative of mine; and I don't want this to happen to you. GUO Motors is a heartless company. And I'd advice any individual who is reading this to quit travelling via using their means of transportation.

Here's the full story of what happened.

On Saturday the 14th day of December, 2019, my relation went onboard using G.U.O. transport company heading to Port Harcourt, the bus left Lagos around 7:38am expecting to arrive Port Harcourt at most 10pm.

At about past 7pm my mum called my relation which he confirmed the trip was ongoing. He made a call to a close family friend at about 9:20pm informing her they the had a flat tyre and the driver was changing it and that was the last we had of him as he wasn't picking his calls that night anymore.

On Sunday the 15th of December, the kidnappers called my Relation's elder Sister and informed her of his kidnap telling her to bring 5million naira as a ransom after which at exactly 6:05pm same Sunday, they called my mum and demanded for same amount.

My mum spoke to my relation for the first time since they abducted him and through his voice one could tell he had been badly tortured, she appealed to them that the only money she could raise was a 100,000naira which infuriated them and they ended the call.

At this time all efforts to reach GUO transport in Port-Harcourt proved abortive as relatives of those abducted bombarded their customer care line with calls telling them of the incidence.

The GUO office was stormed in by relatives and loved ones of the victims including my relative elder sister.

The Company denied knowledge of such incidence back in Lagos, on Monday 16th day of December, i stormed G.U.O office at OKOTA bus terminal where my relative got his ticket alongside my Press Crew with Cameras, on getting there, i went straight to the customer care center requesting to see the Manager in charge of that unit at Okota. Their staff disregarded my request and acted in an uncivilized manner, speaking in Igbo dialect that no one should give me any information.

At that, I became furious and told them their company's image would be at risk if they don't grant me access to their Manager. At this point my crew brought out cameras and immediately the Staff began appealing for mercy.

One of the Senior Staff pleaded that the Lagos branch doesn't have much information regarding the incidence, then she gave me a number of their staff in PORT HARCOURT for more enquiries. i called, a Lady picked up in a very Lousy manner even furious asking why the Lagos office should give out her number to speak to me.
At that moment, i told her that they were in for a big battle with the Press.

Immediately, the Lady who gave me the
Port Harcourt branch number then called Her Boss the Manager of Cele- Okota branch and it didn't take 20minutes he arrived demanding to speak with my Press Crew in a very diplomatic manner kindly appealing for us to soft pedal on the matter to protect their image.

Then he gave me two numbers to call which was the number of the Manager in charge of the Lagos Head office and one Mr John a Police Man with a rank whom he claimed was in charge of the Onitsha unit overseeing the case.

Mr John's number was switched off for over 5hours and when i finally got across to him, he claimed that the switched it off because he was in court. However, Mr Dapo the Manager of Lagos Head Office of G.U.O responded trying to be diplomatic by saying the police were working on the case.

The Company tried hiding information from me to protect their image and it was at this point i left giving them an ultimatum of 24hours to seek for the release of the hostages or face legal charges and involvement of the Press in this matter.

On Tuesday 17th day of December, 2019, i forwarded a message to Mr Ekene, the Head of G.U.O Cele Okota branch, Mr Dapo, The Lagos Head Office Manager of G.U.O Transport company and the Port Harcourt branch of G.U.O telling them that since they've showed an "I DON'T CARE" attitude, then they should brace up for a legal battle and involvement of the Press in this case.

It was at this point i received a call from the overall Area Manager in charge of the Aba, Owerri and Port Harcourt terminals of G.U.O, in Person of one Alhaji Shehu as He claimed was his identity who pleaded to have a meeting with me and other relatives of the kidnapped passengers.

I told him i was in Lagos but he could contact the elder Sister of my Relative Who Lives in Port Harcourt.

The meeting Alhaji Shehu scheduled was supposed to be for 4pm on that Tuesday after sending general messages to every relatives of the kidnapped passengers as at 2:49pm.

The meeting took place eventually at exactly 5pm as my relative's elder sister was the only one who arrived for the meeting as other relatives of the victims were angry and refused to be present.

However the meeting went sour when Alhaji claimed that he finally got in touch with the kidnappers that Tuesday and they've finalized to a sum of #1 million naira for the release of the kidnapped passengers. Then He said G.U.O can only contribute #500,000 naira while relatives of the victims should contribute #100,000naira each to sum up the one million to free them.

At this point an argument ensued and Alhaji said we can go to the Press but it won't have effects or bring out those held hostage.

However, unknown to Alhaji Shehu, relatives were Strategizing individually with the Police on releasing the hostages as the company was not committed in seeking for their release including their driver who was held hostage.

At about 7pm, the elder sister of my relative called my mum and said that the Nigerian Police Force informed her that the victims have been rescued, at this moment, my relative was in a critical condition and lost consciousness as a result of beatings, torture, matchet cuts on his leg, head, and other parts of his body.

The police rushed him to the hospital. The doctor and nurses battled to save his life and God was with them and he later regained consciousness.

The Kidnapped Bus has been taken to the station and its in custody of the Police and G.U.O are devising means to bail out their bus and then avoid paying for damages and properties lost by the passengers.

As i speak to you, the Company have been calling my official line with their official numbers and other unknown numbers.

I am not inclined to speaking with G.U.O alone now, since I have involved the press in the matter.

All I seek for is justice and payment due to damages done to my relative as all his original certificates, international passport, phones, medications, clothes, shoes, and other personal items including the medical bills that is currently running to treat his battered body.

G.U.O are now acting up in protecting their Transportation Company's image from being tarnished.

90 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Kylekent59: 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2019
All transport companies are fighting one another, from peace to GUO, to god is good.

Make dem no use us settle scores ooo.

122 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Ikjosh04: 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2019
I pray your nephew and other passengers get well soon from all the trauma they have gone through. No security in this country and everyone is acting lawless (directly and indirectly) in this nation. May God help us

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 24, 2019
Tragic!

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by uboma(m): 10:00pm On Dec 24, 2019
Ikjosh04:
I pray your nephew and other passengers get well soon from all the trauma they have gone through. No security in this country and everyone is acting lawless (directly and indirectly) in this nation. May God help us

Amen.

It worries me greatly that the crime rate keeps increasing by the day. We without security details like the Politicians are no longer safe in our own country.

24 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by NwaAmaikpe: 10:25pm On Dec 24, 2019
shocked

This is the problem with the absence of a functional consumer protection system in Nigeria.
Everyone is at the mercy of everyone.

But I'd love to know,

Aside showing genuine empathy, do you honestly think GUO is/was under any obligation to ensure the release of their kidnapped passengers?
Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalas. ticlala and other elders putting me right.

They are a transport company for fvck's sake and not an Elite Marine squad.
I doubt they even have an insurance policy on travellers or that any contractual agreement exists with passengers wherein they undertake to an unfailing delivery to destination.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you channeled none of such energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

The wise ones here are your other relatives who saw the bigger picture and sought their salvation away from the tranpsort company.

The social media thing has given us a misguided spirit of aluta that solely hinges on blackmail.

Sit down and think again,
Do you know that if it was only you that your relative had, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

Next time life is involved, please use your head.

While at it, grow some conscience too.
To think you expect a transport company to dole out 1million as ransom for a passenger who probably paid less than 5k.

Ask yourself if you'd do the same if you owned GUO.

423 Likes 43 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Cutehector(m): 11:27pm On Dec 24, 2019
It's a pity . the most important thing is that the guy is alive. Thank God.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Goodgod213: 3:50am On Dec 25, 2019
GUO motors at okota normally don’t have manners or good approach to people. After you travel with them the first time, you won’t come back again lol. They also know all their customers are first timers. Nobody travels the second time with them

44 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by NaijadrivaCars: 4:09am On Dec 25, 2019
I have stated in one of our posts that some Nigerian roads are bedeviled with kidnappers.

Some months ago, a transport Company driver was kidnapped but the company didn't respond, let alone pay any ransom. The said driver was released after his family members rallied to pay a N500,000 ransom after much bargain. Just imagine.

As a rule, Cross Country Transport have told their drivers to suspend travel if they can't get to their destinations before 9;30pm and a memo to this effect is pasted inside their vehicles for passengers to see.

Roads of known cases of motorist kidnaps:
Abuja-Okene road is dangerous

Abuja-Kaduna Road via Suleja (but you know, politicians hardly do what doesn't benefit them, that is why they have expanding Dutse so that the holdups at Dutse-Alhaji can be reduced and enable easy passage for motorists traveling to Kaduna -yes, you can also drive to most parts of the north through Dutse-Bwari).

Again, Owerri-Port Harcourt road, between IMO State Polytechnic, Umuagwo and Omerelu in Rivers State is bad.

And other areas too, like the one just reported.

As a rule, rich men travel by air. After all, the roads are not good. Check our profile to see a post about Christmas travel.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by cassidy1996(m): 5:27am On Dec 25, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is the problem with the absence of a functional consumer protection system in Nigeria.

But I'd love to know,

Aside showing genuine empathy, do you honestly think GUO is/was under any obligation to ensure the release of their kidnapped passengers?
Because I do not.

I doubt they even have an insurance policy on travellers or that any contractual agreement exists with passengers wherein they undertake to an unfailing delivery to destination.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you devoted almost no energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

The wise ones here are your other relatives who saw the bigger picture and sought their salvation away from the tranpsort company.

The social media thing has given us a misguided spirit of aluta that solely hinges on blackmail.

Do you know if your relative had only you, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

To think you expect a transport company to dole out 1million as ransom for a passenger who probably paid less than 5k.

you are always spitting out your venom

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 25, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you devoted almost no energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

Do you know if your relative had only you, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

Every transport lines should account for their consumers or customers security and welfare..

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2019
I used that useless company once,I will never use them again in my life, imagine giving us a driver that just returned from a trip to take us all the way from Lagos to Onitsha.The driver was using rubb as he almost dozed off on the steering, Ndi ara

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by maiunguwar: 9:26pm On Dec 25, 2019
@op,I think we should hold the government responsible for the insecurity on our highways.There is very little GUO motor or any other transporter for that matter can do in such situations.Even private motorist are waylaid and kidnapped on our highways.

25 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by otokx(m): 10:38pm On Dec 25, 2019
The police should interrogate the driver of that bus.

8 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by edoairways: 7:19am On Dec 26, 2019
Livecamp09:

Every transport lines should account for their consumers or customers security and welfare..
By paying 500k as ransom? Would you do that if you own a transport company?

28 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Influential101: 8:07am On Dec 26, 2019
cheechee1:

However, unknown to Alhaji Shehu, relatives were Strategizing individually with the Police on releasing the hostages as the company was not committed in seeking for their release including their driver who was held hostage.

These are the people who did a better thing.. Instead of involving the police and rescuing your relative alive first.. You were busy going back and forth with GUO.. Flexing your media power.. SMH

If transport Companies paid for people who are robbed and kidnapped every day in Nigeria, then they'll go out of business.. There's only little the Companies can do, like showing empathy and support. Like the 500K they proposed to you..it's unfortunate that Nigeria is a failed country.. even the transport Companies drivers are kidnapped including in your own case.. travelling on Nigerian road is very risky now, na only God dey protect person.

Let the Government protect lives and properties.. GUO will only pay and possibly be prosecuted if investigations reveal that they had a hand in it.. because they're also victims themselves...

I'm not supporting GUO or whatever but the first thing should have been to involve the police atleast..

Transport Companies should also look at taking insurance if such exists for passengers and luggages..

So sorry about what your relatives and others went through.. I'm happy they all came out alive.. God help us

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Influential101: 8:13am On Dec 26, 2019
Livecamp09:

Really ? so it's now the duty of transport Companies to protect Nigerians abi? Making sure their car is sound and employing good drivers may be their duty but securing people on the road? When they're even victims themselves..

I had a discussion with a driver one day, what those guys go through on the road ehhh.. many of them are doing it because no other source of livelihood..

I only hope that Nigeria gets better some day..

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 26, 2019
Influential101:
Really ? so it's now the duty of transport Companies to protect Nigerians abi? Making sure their car is sound and employing good drivers may be their duty but securing people on the road? When they're even victims themselves..

I had a discussion with a driver one day, what those guys go through on the road ehhh.. many of them are doing it because no other source of livelihood..

I only hope that Nigeria gets better some day..

I have a friend as a staff of one of the biggest transport lines which I won't like to mention, he said insurance covers both the drivers and the passengers but the companies are just being negligent

27 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 26, 2019
edoairways:

By paying 500k as ransom? Would you do that if you own a transport company?

If public transport convey for 5k, private transportation companies goes for 8k, .. If u know u know cos i can't type much
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by edoairways: 10:17am On Dec 26, 2019
Livecamp09:

If public transport convey for 5k, private transportation companies goes for 8k, .. If u know u know cos i can't type much
I asked a simple question would you cough out 500k as ransom because you want to insure your passengers? You type because you aren't in the business

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by sammirano: 10:24am On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalasticlala and other elders putting me right.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you channeled none of such energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

Do you know that if it was only you that your relative had, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

These companies have an obligation to their passengers. There is a standard insurance package, and passengers can purchase extra insurance as part of the fare. Going forward, the transport company will lose on all grounds.

29 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Influential101: 10:45am On Dec 26, 2019
Livecamp09:

I have a friend as a staff of one of the biggest transport lines which I won't like to mention, he said insurance covers both the drivers and the passengers but the companies are just being negligent
If so, that's bad then..

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by alezzy13: 11:18am On Dec 26, 2019
All of you claiming insurance obviously have no idea of how it works. The compensation, if any, should come from the insurance company, and not necessarily GUO.

@OP, your ordeal is unfortunate and I sympathize. But I agree with Nwamipke and you were being too emotional and gives the impression just out to run down GUO.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Ishilove: 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalasticlala and other elders putting me right.

For once I agree with you. The company themselves are victims as much as the passengers.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Humphrizy(m): 3:17pm On Dec 26, 2019
Chaiiii....No be say dem no knOw wetin to do but the country itself is insecured....All man dey para

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Chukabiz(m): 3:18pm On Dec 26, 2019
Hmm
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by yomalex(m): 3:19pm On Dec 26, 2019
The
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Pavore9: 3:19pm On Dec 26, 2019
Sad.
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Ladycewhy(f): 3:20pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalas. ticlala and other elders putting me right.

seems your medication is working ,you have made a bit of sense today even tho i will not completely agree with your submission but its better than your vile sadistic comments you are accustomed to dishing out.

Back to the topic, why was the transport company was laid back in addressing the kidnapping issue and denying any knowledge of what happened to their bus and its occupants. We all saw how this transport companies traded blames at the expense of dead passengers few weeks back.

One would have to wonder what manuscripts are for ,if it is not a contractual agreement to take people to the destination they paid for undecided

So i am assuming you are in support of the behavior of the transport company's response to family members who are worried sick about the safety of their kidnapped relatives. How people still use GUO to travel baffles me ,considering they are always in the news for the wrong reasons.smh

13 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by chiboyo(m): 3:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Sadly, NwaAmaikpe is right on this..
The bus company are as much victim as your relative was..

You should be taking this case up with the Nigerian Police or the insurance company if indeed he paid for one for the trip.

Anyway, what do I know sef!

3 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by okonja(m): 3:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Renewal Period

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of The New Uyo-Ikot Ekpene Road: Akwa Ibom & Good Roads Na 5&6 / Small Car Conveys A Huge Metal Kiosk In Port Harcourt / Lagos BRT Buses May Withdraw Services Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.