Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,916 members, 7,835,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent (43679 Views)

GUO Motors Attacked, Passengers Kidnapped, Driver Shot Dead. Girl Abandoned / JUST IN: Sir Abel Omoruyi Ceo/Owner Iyare Motors Is Dead (pics) / The Mercedes Benz Sprinter Introduced By "God Is Good Motors" To Delta Line (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Truthbites: 6:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
Zoo capital of the earth
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by tete7000(m): 6:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
Those supporting GUO should know that in civilized nations.. Transport companies will take care of the passengers safety

We live in a terrible country that people's psyche has been so bastardized, they no longer know a wrong from a right...

3 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Minjim: 6:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
Someone spoke about this on Twitter two days ago and Festus Kiyamo was using the Social Media bill to threaten him. GUO to reply the thread by vehemently denying that such a thing happened.
Do they think such a thing can be covered?
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 26, 2019
GUO means............?

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Boardman4676(m): 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
Nwanne, you are on point

This is the problem with the absence of a functional consumer protection system in Nigeria.
Everyone is at the mercy of everyone.

But I'd love to know,

Aside showing genuine empathy, do you honestly think GUO is/was under any obligation to ensure the release of their kidnapped passengers?
Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalas. ticlala and other elders putting me right.

They are a transport company for fvck's sake and not an Elite Marine squad.
I doubt they even have an insurance policy on travellers or that any contractual agreement exists with passengers wherein they undertake to an unfailing delivery to destination.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you channeled none of such energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

The wise ones here are your other relatives who saw the bigger picture and sought their salvation away from the tranpsort company.

The social media thing has given us a misguided spirit of aluta that solely hinges on blackmail.

Sit down and think again,
Do you know that if it was only you that your relative had, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

Next time life is involved, please use your head.

While at it, grow some conscience too.
To think you expect a transport company to dole out 1million as ransom for a passenger who probably paid less than 5k.

Ask yourself if you'd do the same if you owned GUO.
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Minjim: 6:34pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is the problem with the absence of a functional consumer protection system in Nigeria.

But I'd love to know,

Aside showing genuine empathy, do you honestly think GUO is/was under any obligation to ensure the release of their kidnapped passengers?
Because I do not.
I may be wrong but I am open to Lalas. ticlala and other elders putting me right.

I doubt they even have an insurance policy on travellers or that any contractual agreement exists with passengers wherein they undertake to an unfailing delivery to destination.

The good thing here is that you got your relative back alive, but I'd say you spent too much energy on the transport company and it is sad that they treated you as petty scum and that is probably how they saw you considering you channeled none of such energy on the security agents and kidnappers in whose hands your relative's release solely lay in.

The wise ones here are your other relatives who saw the bigger picture and sought their salvation away from the tranpsort company.

The social media thing has given us a misguided spirit of aluta that solely hinges on blackmail.

Do you know that if it was only you that your relative had, he'd probably be dead now while you'd have only succeeded in a viral smear campaign.

To think you expect a transport company to dole out 1million as ransom for a passenger who probably paid less than 5k.

Few days ago GUO released an official statement denying that the abduction occurred. They went as far as saying all their officers and drivers we're accounted for.
They ought to have been more open about the incident. While on the journey GUO is responsible for the safety of all passengers till they get to their destinations.
When you are in his shoes, if you care to be, you'll know how desperate and irrational one can act

5 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by InvertedHammer: 6:49pm On Dec 26, 2019
/
GUO is culpable by intentionally taking passengers through Owerri-PH road after 6pm. That lonely stretch of road is a den of kidnappers even during the day but worse at night. There could be possible collusion between the kidnappers and an employee of G.U.O.

\

3 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Cheks5(m): 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2019
GUO is one of the most useless transport company out there. travel with them at your own peril, I had one of the most horrible experience with them. I was traveling from Jos to Lagos and I decided to use their marcapolo night bus. my father told me to purchase ticket for bonnyway, another transport company, but I decided that since GUO is a well known company that I should go with them. it was on a Saturday evening and I was coming to Lagos for the first time, when I got to their park, bonnyway transport company has already loaded their passenger and left while the people in charge of GUO bus were busy overloading the bus with bags of cabbage, almost 50 bags of cabbage, not to include other loads that was present there. they had to use the whole back sit to load the cabbage. when they finally decided to allow passengers to board the bus. we left around 7.30 pm, 2hrs 40mins after bonnyway left. when we got to outskirt of Jos they stopped to pick up attachment, adding more load on the bus, some of this attachments were standing or sitting on loads that lined up along the bus. our problem started when we got to akwanga in nasarawa state. the bolts for the driver's side back Tyre bends and we spent the entire night there. the problem was rectified around 4pm the next day being Sunday and we continued. on getting to ondo the radiator fan broke and the engine started to over heat. this should be around 2am Monday morning. we were still there and another bonnyway bus that left Jos Sunday evening passed us. when that one was sorted out we left ondo, and on getting to owo town osun state, the radiator started leaking. this should be around 6am. they succeed in mending the leakage, so we continued. basically we stop every 45 minutes to refill the radiator because it was still leaking. some passengers that got tired boarded another bus in owo. when we got to ibadan, they offloaded the bags of cabbage. this should be around 2pm. we left ibadan and on getting to outskirt of Lagos that same problem that happened in akwanga occurred again. At this point me and most of the the remaining passengers that was tired of the bus, boarded a yellow bus that took us to mile 2. I spent 2 days from Jos to Lagos. this was mid December 2018, that day I decided I will never use GUO transport company.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by ransomed: 7:07pm On Dec 26, 2019
Noted
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by lonelydora: 7:12pm On Dec 26, 2019
cheechee1:
This is a matter of concern for the entire people out there who will be travelling this December. It happened to a very close relative of mine; and I don't want this to happen to you. GUO Motors is a heartless company. And I'd advice any individual who is reading this to quit travelling via using their means of transportation.

Here's the full story of what happened.

On Saturday the 14th day of December, 2019, my relation went onboard using G.U.O. transport company heading to Port Harcourt, the bus left Lagos around 7:38am expecting to arrive Port Harcourt at most 10pm.

At about past 7pm my mum called my relation which he confirmed the trip was ongoing. He made a call to a close family friend at about 9:20pm informing her they the had a flat tyre and the driver was changing it and that was the last we had of him as he wasn't picking his calls that night anymore.

On Sunday the 15th of December, the kidnappers called my Relation's elder Sister and informed her of his kidnap telling her to bring 5million naira as a ransom after which at exactly 6:05pm same Sunday, they called my mum and demanded for same amount.

My mum spoke to my relation for the first time since they abducted him and through his voice one could tell he had been badly tortured, she appealed to them that the only money she could raise was a 100,000naira which infuriated them and they ended the call.

At this time all efforts to reach GUO transport in Port-Harcourt proved abortive as relatives of those abducted bombarded their customer care line with calls telling them of the incidence.

The GUO office was stormed in by relatives and loved ones of the victims including my relative elder sister.

The Company denied knowledge of such incidence back in Lagos, on Monday 16th day of December, i stormed G.U.O office at OKOTA bus terminal where my relative got his ticket alongside my Press Crew with Cameras, on getting there, i went straight to the customer care center requesting to see the Manager in charge of that unit at Okota. Their staff disregarded my request and acted in an uncivilized manner, speaking in Igbo dialect that no one should give me any information.

At that, I became furious and told them their company's image would be at risk if they don't grant me access to their Manager. At this point my crew brought out cameras and immediately the Staff began appealing for mercy.

One of the Senior Staff pleaded that the Lagos branch doesn't have much information regarding the incidence, then she gave me a number of their staff in PORT HARCOURT for more enquiries. i called, a Lady picked up in a very Lousy manner even furious asking why the Lagos office should give out her number to speak to me.
At that moment, i told her that they were in for a big battle with the Press.

Immediately, the Lady who gave me the
Port Harcourt branch number then called Her Boss the Manager of Cele- Okota branch and it didn't take 20minutes he arrived demanding to speak with my Press Crew in a very diplomatic manner kindly appealing for us to soft pedal on the matter to protect their image.

Then he gave me two numbers to call which was the number of the Manager in charge of the Lagos Head office and one Mr John a Police Man with a rank whom he claimed was in charge of the Onitsha unit overseeing the case.

Mr John's number was switched off for over 5hours and when i finally got across to him, he claimed that the switched it off because he was in court. However, Mr Dapo the Manager of Lagos Head Office of G.U.O responded trying to be diplomatic by saying the police were working on the case.

The Company tried hiding information from me to protect their image and it was at this point i left giving them an ultimatum of 24hours to seek for the release of the hostages or face legal charges and involvement of the Press in this matter.

On Tuesday 17th day of December, 2019, i forwarded a message to Mr Ekene, the Head of G.U.O Cele Okota branch, Mr Dapo, The Lagos Head Office Manager of G.U.O Transport company and the Port Harcourt branch of G.U.O telling them that since they've showed an "I DON'T CARE" attitude, then they should brace up for a legal battle and involvement of the Press in this case.

It was at this point i received a call from the overall Area Manager in charge of the Aba, Owerri and Port Harcourt terminals of G.U.O, in Person of one Alhaji Shehu as He claimed was his identity who pleaded to have a meeting with me and other relatives of the kidnapped passengers.

I told him i was in Lagos but he could contact the elder Sister of my Relative Who Lives in Port Harcourt.

The meeting Alhaji Shehu scheduled was supposed to be for 4pm on that Tuesday after sending general messages to every relatives of the kidnapped passengers as at 2:49pm.

The meeting took place eventually at exactly 5pm as my relative's elder sister was the only one who arrived for the meeting as other relatives of the victims were angry and refused to be present.

However the meeting went sour when Alhaji claimed that he finally got in touch with the kidnappers that Tuesday and they've finalized to a sum of #1 million naira for the release of the kidnapped passengers. Then He said G.U.O can only contribute #500,000 naira while relatives of the victims should contribute #100,000naira each to sum up the one million to free them.

At this point an argument ensued and Alhaji said we can go to the Press but it won't have effects or bring out those held hostage.

However, unknown to Alhaji Shehu, relatives were Strategizing individually with the Police on releasing the hostages as the company was not committed in seeking for their release including their driver who was held hostage.

At about 7pm, the elder sister of my relative called my mum and said that the Nigerian Police Force informed her that the victims have been rescued, at this moment, my relative was in a critical condition and lost consciousness as a result of beatings, torture, matchet cuts on his leg, head, and other parts of his body.

The police rushed him to the hospital. The doctor and nurses battled to save his life and God was with them and he later regained consciousness.

The Kidnapped Bus has been taken to the station and its in custody of the Police and G.U.O are devising means to bail out their bus and then avoid paying for damages and properties lost by the passengers.

As i speak to you, the Company have been calling my official line with their official numbers and other unknown numbers.

I am not inclined to speaking with G.U.O alone now, since I have involved the press in the matter.

All I seek for is justice and payment due to damages done to my relative as all his original certificates, international passport, phones, medications, clothes, shoes, and other personal items including the medical bills that is currently running to treat his battered body.

G.U.O are now acting up in protecting their Transportation Company's image from being tarnished.

A friend's brother was in this same vehicle. But luckily for him, he escaped in the early hours of Sunday morning. We thank God for his life.

We had his thanksgiving this last Sunday.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by sowilli: 7:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Kylekent59:
I am no longer gonna travel again ooo.

All transport companies are fighting one another, from peace to GUO, to god is good.

Make dem no use us settle scores ooo.
we can do business in Nigeria where every competitor will be happy but no, one person wants to have the biggest share and be the only player. Given the unavailability of modern transport system in Nigeria, road transport seems to be a very profitable business. We have a large number of people who are traveling on the road daily. Everyone can be happy. With the funds the NURTW receives, they should be more organized and concerned with the safety of their customers.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by whizdame(m): 7:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
Kylekent59:
I am no longer gonna travel again ooo.

All transport companies are fighting one another, from peace to GUO, to god is good.

Make dem no use us settle scores ooo.
mad oooo
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by mauchiz: 7:51pm On Dec 26, 2019
Thank God your relative is alive, people have lost there lives on that road,

I believe they passed through Bayelsa to Port Harcourt, that road is very risky, those Emuoha boys are notorious kidnappers and ritualist, from Ndele to Emuoha is called sambisa forest, the boys are always kidnapping people there, whenever they need money they come out and kidnap people,

Avoid that road from 5pm if you love your life,

President Buhari should send special squad to go and raid Emuoha of those boys,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by ForkDragnet: 7:53pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.

Mr man you are one of those who doesnt know their right to their left in this Nigeria and I am sure this isn't because you don't actually know your right, how would you say because they paid 5k the company should pay 1m to secure their release, if your type own a business which you run by yourself people can't return items o or even ask for refund self,

You paying to board a bus from one location to the other, means the transportation company is under the obligation to provide security and safety of everyone in that bus until they alight from their final destination, if anything happens on the way, the company is under every obligation to pay for compensation unless there's an undertaken signed by the passengers that everyone in the bus is at his/her own risk

It doesn't matter if he/pays 500 or 5000, greedy people like you are the ones running such companies like the one under topic

If you can't stand the risk then don't venture into it

If they're sued they'll pay even more than they ever think to each victims involved.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Octaves(m): 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2019
Thanks for the information. And I usually travel with them on that route. Thank God I didn't travel on that day.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by maiunguwar: 8:36pm On Dec 26, 2019
Some people here are busy blaming GUO motors,while kidnapers and bandits are having a field day terrorizing and kidnaping people all over the federation.We should place the blame where it belongs.It is the responsibility of the government to secure lives and property. If kidnappers knows they can kidnap freely with no consequence then we are doomed.Today it is GUO motors tomorrow it will be another transporter or a private motorist and all we can do is to pay Ransome and blab on the social media.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by midnighter(f): 8:39pm On Dec 26, 2019
maiunguwar:
Some people here are busy blaming GUO motors,while kidnapers and bandits are having a field day terrorizing and kidnaping people all over the federation.We should place the blame where it belongs It is the responsibility of the government to secure lives and property If kidnappers knows they can kidnap freely with no consequence then we are doomed.Today it is GUO motors tomorrow it will be another transporter or a private motorist and all we can do is to pay Ransome and blab on the social media.

Come on! There is something called "general" vs "specific" or "collective responsibility" vs "individual responsibility"

So because of bad governance you should sit back and allow your customer to be hacked to death by a bunch of lunatics? Youre not serious at all

2 Likes

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
GUO too is a victim here.
They are not responsible for what happened. Hold your governments accountable.
And why would he travel around with his Original Documents?

I don't think GUO should even pay the ransome.

My opinion

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by kowema(f): 8:48pm On Dec 26, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I'd love to know,

Because I do not.

How can I give this more than 1 like?.
Best comment so far on this Matter.
Spoke my mind, body and soul.lol
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by maiunguwar: 8:50pm On Dec 26, 2019
[quote author=midnighter post=85243797]

Come on! There is something called "general" vs "specific" or "collective responsibility" vs "individual responsibility"

So because of bad governance you should sit back and allow your customer to be hacked to death by a bunch of lunatics? Youre not serious at all[m/quote] ms midnighter,the crux of the matter is that kidnap of passengers along our highways is now a recuring decimal.The bandits are not caught and they collect ransome.My problem here is not GUO but the inability of the government discharge its responsibility.At this rate,it will happen again and again.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Obason22(m): 8:51pm On Dec 26, 2019
One lawyer first said that only place she can guarantee the safety of mazi. Nnamdi kanu is to keep him in prison, her reason been that even lawyers are not save. So my brother thank God ur relative is been released.
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by midnighter(f): 9:04pm On Dec 26, 2019
maiunguwar:
ms midnighter,the crux of the matter is that kidnap of passengers along our highways is now a recuring decimal.The bandits are not caught and they collect ransome.My problem here is not GUO but the inability of the government discharge its responsibility.At this rate,it will happen again and again.

Thats not the crux of the matter o

You cant use the context in which an incident occurred to remove responsibility from the people involved. If they know the government is so terrible then that should have made them act even faster to get their passenger out of hot water.

You cant just reduce everything down to the government when the story clearly has culprits who should have known better.
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by maiunguwar: 9:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
@midnighter,what exactly should GUO have done considering they are victims too?
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by midnighter(f): 9:20pm On Dec 26, 2019
maiunguwar:
@midnighter,what exactly should GUO have done considering they are victims too?

Called the police, called the families and cooperated with both parties to negotiate the release of their passengers whom they were supposed to be looking after

Did the government stop them from exercising basic courtesy and answering OPs queries about the whereabouts of his relative?
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by edoairways: 9:32pm On Dec 26, 2019
Correcto:
Of course I will pay. The company should have insurance coverage. You need to travel out and see how things are done. Companies go bankrupt for this kind issues due to poor handling.
Are customers ready to pay for high fares should such company include that ? Would you pay N15,000 as T-fair via bus?
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by bluefilm: 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2019
Are you sure your relation did not actually kidnap him or herself?

How can you tell from someone's voice that he or she has been tortured?

Nnaa na wa o!
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by maiunguwar: 9:44pm On Dec 26, 2019
midnighter:

Called the police, called the families and cooperated with both parties to negotiate the release of their passengers whom they were supposed to be looking after

Did the government stop them from exercising basic courtesy and answering OPs queries about the whereabouts of his relative?
GUO informed the police of the incident.In your opinion all the government can do is liase with GUO and the families of the victims to negotiate there release?
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by midnighter(f): 9:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
maiunguwar:
GUO informed the police of the incident.In your opinion all the government can do is liase with GUO and the families of the victims to negotiate there release?

Did they make any effort to contact the families before the OP threatened to expose them on the internet?

Did the government stop them from doing that? Stop trying to justify bad behaviour, the government is not inside your brain to stop you from acting the right way with your customer smh
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by Belicof1: 9:57pm On Dec 26, 2019
I taught that this port Harcourt high way kidnapping has stopped when dey said dey have Some security personnel who catch criminals its very bad that our highways are not safe yoi talk of Port Harcourt, Abuja lokoja,Uyo this roads a so scary God please Help your people Sorry my dear
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by ebukabanky(m): 11:00pm On Dec 26, 2019
Wow.......let's loud this high.....but pls who has a Guo ticket at hand should snap all side wanna verify something.......do cover up ur details
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by DexterousOne(m): 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2019
Somebody was talking about "safety" in the other thread
Re: My Brother Was Kidnapped And G.U.O Motors Is Silent by executive12: 2:20am On Dec 27, 2019
It is unfortunate what happened to your relative and other passengers. Thank God they have been rescued alive.
However, I don't see how the GUO Company is being held responsible for the kidnapping. I think the company is as much a victim as the passengers. And I think the company did right by offering to pay half of the ransom.
It is the Buhari government that should be held accountable for the increased insecurity in the country, not private business men and women who are suffering like everyone else.
Nigerians in general should also take responsibility for helping to give the useless Fulani militant sponsor a second term. I hope people vote right in 2023.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Dies In The US As His Vehicle Plunges Into A River (Photos) / Nigerian Passport: Current Price / Container Crushes Abia Businessman To Death On His Way To Port Harcourt Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.