Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (36947 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by pazienza(m): 7:52pm On Dec 25, 2019
For science students, I think allowing the use of calculators was a game changer,calculator could allow you save at least extra 10mins .

I wrote without calculator, scored 289, wrote Chemistry, Biology and Use of English, but because my physics score was poor, not because I didn't know the questions, but because I couldn't finish them on time, since I wasn't too good in maths and without calculators, JAMB exposed my weaknesses.
I bet with a calculator, I could have finished the physics and scored at least 20 more marks, which could have taken me to 309, because I scored 54 in my physics.

Someone already mentioned how they also help them save time these days by giving them set of literatures to read from where they set the question.
This is also a game changer as meticulous students would have familiarized themselves with the books, hence never caught up by time on exam hall. This is unlike my time when you see the comprehension or lexis/structure for first time on exam hall and have time work against you.

Bottom line is that current JAMB makes it too easy for really serious students to score higher than they would have in my time, the easy availability of materials online also comes in handy.

6 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:59pm On Dec 25, 2019
Adeling:

Who b Chike? grin

@op, there's what they call "machinery". If you know you know.
OP is a next level faithful..
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Dextre(m): 8:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
BlackSpanner:

Hmmn. Cheating in JAMB and WAEC

It's just my believe o..I ain't exactly sure. But so far waec is still paper based exam, and there are still waec centres,forget
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Caseless: 8:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
hooha:
The rate at which students make high scores nowadays in JAMB is something to understand.

In those days, people do not make such high scores, even the intelligent ones. Those days, you see very intelligent people scoring 265, 270, 280, etc; but today, I think the rate of 300+ seems higher.

So what is the factor? Is it that JAMB quality has dropped or Students are now more intelligent?
JAMB repeats questions and those who studies past questions get pass with higher mark as JAMB seems to have exhausted its "question arsenal".
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
Dupalmer:
The rate at which universities churn out illiterate graduates is not only alarming but worrisome. Lots of graduates scaled through the already fallen standard through the use of smuggled smart phones in the examination centre's, sex for grades and bribery popularly known as 'sorting'in many schools,
WAEC holders In the 90s, 80s and 70s with weak passes still fare better than the present day 2-2 graduates.

God help us all.

You have no idea what you are saying undecided
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by trutht828: 8:16pm On Dec 25, 2019
Adeling:

Who b Chike? grin

@op, there's what they call "machinery". If you know you know.

It is not machinery; it is Mercenary
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:17pm On Dec 25, 2019
Caseless:
JAMB repeats questions and those who studies past questions get pass with higher mark as JAMB seems to have exhausted its "question arsenal".

That is not the case

Kids these days havemore access to material a to read
Online and offline
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
Oritsewhandey:

There was a caveat on education then. Caused by:
1. Foreign debts:
IMF did instruct reduction on employment,
social infrastructures & education subsidy.

2. Quota System (politicisation of education)

Our generation bore the brunt for this generation to enjoy. We had it, a very hard way. No private university (later Igbinedion) No stable light on campus. Low budget to edu-sector and many more.

3. Technology & curriculum modification (IGCSE, TOEFL, SAT) have greatly helped current generation as well.

Yea
You are right
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 8:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
Jamb quality has not dropped a bit. The exam board has only refused to change its pattern(s) which contribute to huge success of smart students.

However, information technology opened eyes. For instance, I started using phone at age 7 (Nokia touch though), moved to Nokia C1 then android. Explore the internet and acquire info yet to be known in future. YouTube videos has also helped grab topics.

Past questions are everywhere; hardcopies, softcopy and even app. In addition, students learn from stories and experience(s) of past Jambite written on net in order not to fall in same pit.

The On-screen calculator on test interface is negligible perhaps, it's based on simple arithmetic operations. In fact, team 300+ rearly use the calculator. Ask if you've got one.

The level of intelligence is the same as of the old. We indomie generation just spiced it up with smartness

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:
JAMB does not translate to career success na...

What are you talking about??

You may be the best performer in Jamb and not end up among the top 20 in your set in the university..

Also, considering how deficient Nigeria curriculum is, being among the best I your set, does not automatically translate to be the most successful career wise..

There are other variables such as opportunities, personal development, extra certification, more practical exposure in firms etc..

You can't just focus on Jamb score in isolation!!!

I performed better than my predecessors in JAMB(during my time) but I don't consider myself better than them career wise!!!

Exactly
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:21pm On Dec 25, 2019
linearity:

If this were entirely true; the quality of graduates that Universities are churning out would have also improved.

Comparing apples with apples; I don’t think first class graduates these days can hold up to first class graduates of those days.

Also compare second class upper graduates of today to second class upper of those days, you will conclude that we have a problem with quality today, despite the increase in quantity compare to days of old.

I disagree
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
Sterope:
You guys have started again.

The competition is tougher and the subjects are harder.

Calculators is a tool. It doesn't give out the answer to the main solutions.

Also, there are more students than there ever were during your time.

C was a good grade then, it isn't now. If at all, our average was your best back then.

Exam is exam. Your knowledge of the course content materials and of life do not mean these youths have it any easier.

And we have social media, everyone must know.

TRUTH
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Gemineye: 8:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
Those of y'all shouting calculator upandan
Using calculator now is dangerous game....if you're good in maths you'll be faster with your pencil....solving large numbers with larger indices is much more faster with your pencil than with the nonsense market calculator in the computer....you'll spend hours operating it with the damn mouse...but with your pencil...its faster that being said

Despite the fact that the standard of questions have changed, even the number of questions, now reduced judging from past questions,
Students are smarter these days in fact the competition now ehn...especially for professional courses like MBBS. The competition gets tougher year after year...students read harder year after year too...soon jamb self might no longer be a barrier or determining factor

I'm pretty sure the students of now will ace the exam questions of those days were 250 was the gold standard
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 8:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
Vivikema:

Yh,I did
OK better
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
grin
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by AK481(m): 8:28pm On Dec 25, 2019
osazsky:
then y do we have half baked graduates unlike before

There is half bake graduate everywhere even in some 3rd class rated uni in Uk.

The reasons people are shouting up and down is because there is inadequate job.its making it quite obvious.it has always been there .
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by redsun(m): 8:29pm On Dec 25, 2019
There is a grand scale cheating in Nigerian high schools and national exams at the moment. Masterminded by school principals, exam boards, exams invigilators, education officials, parents and obviously, the hapless pupils.

Parents pay fees for their children to be aided in exams malpractices. It is an open secret in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by durasome(m): 8:32pm On Dec 25, 2019
not only jamb even Waec nowadays you see students making 3,4 even 5 As Bs now is as easy as anything but during my own time,if you eventually get like 6cs nna it's a thanks giving in Church, I keep wondering what has happened now.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by valgbo(m): 8:33pm On Dec 25, 2019
Vivikema:
2014,I had 99 in biology in jamb....the thing surprise me sef grin
that's nice... during my time I got 98 in bio too I was kinda surprised.... though bio was essentially all I was reading preparing for the exam..... cos I'm not really good at calculation courses..... so it was a case of working on my strength...... that bio singlehandedly gave me admission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Bbbwings: 8:39pm On Dec 25, 2019
NextBuhari:
Pls what is negative marking?
if you attempt a question and you get it wrong, they will subtract from your score.
it may be 1/2 1/4 or 1 depending on the exam body.
in this case, it is better to only attempt questions you're very sure about.

be ready for this if you're thinking of attending med school in oau
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2019
Somethinglight:
Social media is the reason why high scores are more announced now! Guys have been banging 300+ since 2000s. But no WhatsApp status to broadcast am.
Lol that's true grin

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by valgbo(m): 8:42pm On Dec 25, 2019
trutht828:

It is not machinery; it is Mercenary
I told this to a course mate once and he explained to me that its "MACHINERY" because they're intelligent and do your bidding like machines lol....... mercenary means fighter for hire or worker so I thought it'll apply to hire candidates.... anyways don't argue with Nigerians and their English lol

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by harrend(m): 8:48pm On Dec 25, 2019
So nobody wants to aknowledge that jamb is now easier, it is getting easier every year especially since the advent of the cbt. I've written it three times with the cbt and i can tell for sure..
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2019
harrend:
So nobody wants to aknowledge that jamb is now easier, it is getting easier every year especially since the advent of the cbt. I've written it three times with the cbt and i can tell for sure..
Getting easier because you're an experienced writer. No offence pls
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by eROCK247(m): 9:03pm On Dec 25, 2019
Examination malpractice these days is much more efficient than it used to be. The system can easily be manipulated.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by onegig(m): 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2019
rtdCivilservant:
I think Jamb has reviewed their scoring system.

They didn't review anything. As far back as mid 2000ish English and Geography exams was like a piece of cake to me ,never read for such exams and still came out in flying colours. Least I had in both was 79.

That's 160 marks already. Have an average of 60 in the two others which was easy to attain and you are already in the 280 region. I wasn't even in the top 15 of the most brilliant in school back then. Now imagine those guys we termed scholars. cheesy

A kid who studies all 4 effortlessly would easily have those high scores like 320ish.

Also the internet has just made these exceptional scores more prominent. Nothing has changed.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by emecheboy2(m): 9:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
The quality has dropped. If you wrote jamb before year 2000 and see the questions they ask now, I bet you will be very angry.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by theNOISEmaker: 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2019
nothing is wrong with the system.. it's just that you can't compare what is automatically marked by a computer now to what was hand-marked those days.. nowadays there is much accuracy and transparency in the marking process because it's automatically marked by the computer cool
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by OwoukoUrua(m): 9:12pm On Dec 25, 2019
Ojukwudfugitive:
Students are duller now. They now use calculators which were strictly prohibited in examination halls in those days. In addition, the negative markings don't apply these days as was the case a decade ago. Jamb questions were more of advanced level before but now O' level for this indomie generation. The combination of these factors has resulted in "illiterate" graduates that litter our streets looking for jobs. I asked a student who had A1 in Chemistry the full meaning of IUPAC, he was confused and told me he had never heard such before. The standard has really fallen!

with reference to the part --- "I asked a student who had A1 in Chemistry the full meaning of IUPAC, he was confused and told me he had never heard such before." ---

it is JAMB UTME that is being discussed here and not WAEC/NECO . . . The later as we all know,has been bastardly bastardized.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by armadeo(m): 9:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
NextBuhari:
Pls what is negative marking?

When you answer a question wrongly one mark gets deducted. So for every one you answer and miss they take one mark extra.

No guessing in my time.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by OwoukoUrua(m): 9:15pm On Dec 25, 2019
David2O:
Getting easier because you're an experienced writer. No offence pls

maybe he is a "professional writer"
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by blaise26abj(m): 9:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
internationalman:
it's simple na.

as day breaks what seems to be difficult yesterday becomes an easy task today..

even babies now open their eyes now from birth unlike before when it took up to about 3 months

Like really ? Babies close eyes for 3 months after birth? Na wa oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 100 Best Secondary Schools In Nigeria / See The State Of Eric Moore Junior High School In Surulere, Lagos / 5 Top Reasons Why Some Girls Go Into Campus Runs. My Experience

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.