Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (36968 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ksbusari(m): 4:46pm On Dec 25, 2019
I would do better if I had the opportunities today's kids have.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by linearity: 4:48pm On Dec 25, 2019
AK481:
No standard dropped, effective teaching tool has made it easier for serious student to do better.

YouTube teaches anything.
Whatsapp group shares information about exams easier and faster , tutorial teachers solve examples and drop it there.

Better learning aid I will say,

Just wait make this set of children singing “ baby sha do do do do do “ grow up first.

If this were entirely true; the quality of graduates that Universities are churning out would have also improved.

Comparing apples with apples; I don’t think first class graduates these days can hold up to first class graduates of those days.

Also compare second class upper graduates of today to second class upper of those days, you will conclude that we have a problem with quality today, despite the increase in quantity compare to days of old.

7 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 4:50pm On Dec 25, 2019
LordIsaac:

That's true.
Lies, the system is faulty, students these days don't read. They flexing pass anything.

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Johnboom: 4:51pm On Dec 25, 2019
Yes, the standard has fallen. Ask people that wrote ume in 1980 and early 1990. They were not allowed to use calculator, yet they solved very tedious maths and physics like base 12. Today nothing of such. For test of English you have no clue of comprehension that would be set but students' of today have clue of what would be set through literature they are given before the exam. However , today students have access to good textbook and Internet that facilitate learning.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by internationalman(m): 4:53pm On Dec 25, 2019
UNCL3:

lol
oga 3 months haaa, that pikin don blind b dat o
its too long na
highest a week.
maybe i was exaggerating sha

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by bajeen(m): 4:53pm On Dec 25, 2019
I think the duration for the exam has been increased. In the late 2000s, Duration was 2.5hrs. I remember well that I couldn't finish answering the Qs, i just shaded the remaining.

2 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by tomdon(m): 4:54pm On Dec 25, 2019
MZrapper:
In my days I scored 219 and for that year I was like the glory of the family. grin grin grin

Olodo local champion grin

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by kay7: 4:54pm On Dec 25, 2019
Jamb repeats questions. Study hard and review 10 years past questions, you’ll score over 300
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Sterope(f): 4:55pm On Dec 25, 2019
You guys have started again.

The competition is tougher and the subjects are harder.

Calculators is a tool. It doesn't give out the answer to the main problems.

Also, there are more students than there ever were during your time.

C was a good grade then, it isn't now. If at all, our average was your best back then.

Exam is exam. Your knowledge of the course content materials and of life do not mean these youths have it any easier.

And we have social media, everyone must know.

CSTR2:
I have taught a number of students over the years .

I can tell you for a fact that students are now duller.

The exams are now easier. You also have the use of calculators compared to those days.
Past questions are also now everywhere.

Compare Jamb mathematics or physics 1999 with 2019.

The difference is clear.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by yusluvad(m): 4:56pm On Dec 25, 2019
It's all about time. The internet, past questions, learning environments are great factors these days...
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 4:56pm On Dec 25, 2019
linearity:

If this were entirely true; the quality of graduates that Universities are churning out would have also improved.

Comparing apples with apples; I don’t think first class graduates these days can hold up to first class graduates of those days.

Also compare second class upper graduates of today to second class upper of those days, you will conclude that we have a problem with quality today, despite the increase in qualities compare to days of old.

God bless you. I've hardly meet more than 5 impressionable graduates despite speaking and engaging about 1000. Jamb was ways about cheating and the ability to cut corners simply improved with innovation and technology

Cc: CSTR2 ToxicBrain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Ojukwudfugitive: 4:57pm On Dec 25, 2019
osazsky:
then y do we have half baked graduates unlike before
Students are duller now. They now use calculators which were strictly prohibited in examination halls in those days. In addition, the negative markings don't apply these days as was the case a decade ago. Jamb questions were more of advanced level before but now O' level for this indomie generation. The combination of these factors has resulted in "illiterate" graduates that litter our streets looking for jobs. I asked a student who had A1 in Chemistry the full meaning of IUPAC, he was confused and told me he had never heard such before. The standard has really fallen!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ultiabaz36(m): 4:58pm On Dec 25, 2019
I need a site where I can buy UK used gadgets... Like TV, washing machine, etc..
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2019
bajeen:
I think the duration for the exam has been increased. In the late 2000s, Duration was 2.5hrs. I remember well that I couldn't finish answering the Qs, i just shaded the remaining.

The time for JAMB before was never adequate to attend the questions. I don't know for now. I finished as prime in my generation. So I qualify to call myself one of the best the nation has. To me, JAMB shouldn't be used as a tool to measure intelligence. Where are those who scored 270 to 330 over the past 15 years, what are their achievements and contributions to the nation? If truly they were as intelligent as assumed we ought to have been seeing their companies left right and centre. Rather it's either Nnamdi at alaba irago, Sani in Kano, Omodia in Warri, Chukwuma in Onitsha that's still the productive persons in the nation. True knowledge is application and performance and nothing less

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2019
Throwback:
Wrong!

Most cut-off marks for Engineering, Law and Medical Science courses were above 270 in most of the top 6 federal universities in the early 2000s.

Then, when you score 250 or 260, you already know you can only gain admission on a supplementary admission list known as connection list, instead of the merit admission list. Otherwise, you do a change of university to state university or a change of course.

Those days, Science candidates (PhyChemBi) with below 250 were almost sure to rewrite the exam or gain admission for Zoology, Botany of Human Kinetics, while Science candidates (PhyChemMa) with below 250 would likely only secure admission for Met&Mat Engineering or Agricultural Engineering.

Law candidates with such scores had to settle for English, while Agricultural Economics came to the rescue of both Science and Commerce candidates.

Also the top scores for the exams then were also always above 300, with some scoring as high as 320 or 330. However, only about 20 to 40 candidates made the scores above 300.

Admittedly, it is easier to score higher now than in the times I referenced, due to the more comfortable exam environment and use of calculators.

With the proliferation of Federal, State and Private Universities when compared to the number in the late '90s and early 2000s, candidates now score 200 and 210 and are rejoicing.
Back then 200, 210 no be here ooo, now students rejoice with this marks, ask students of OAU screening for 2005 aspirants, they will tell you, people go house die that year failing screening.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Quorax: 5:00pm On Dec 25, 2019
brainhgeek:

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.
Do you teach in any of these British schools with at least 1000 pupils? Let me know please. we might have something to work on. Thanks

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 5:01pm On Dec 25, 2019
Dupalmer:
The rate at which universities churn out illiterate graduates is not only alarming but worrisome. Lots of graduates scaled through the already fallen standard through the use of smuggled smart phones in the examination centre's, sex for grades and bribery popularly known as 'sorting'in many schools,
WAEC holders In the 90s, 80s and 70s with weak passes still fare better than the present day 2-2 graduates.

God help us all.
Better paa, na yahoo and olosho students dey do now, you will hear na money we dey after school na.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 5:01pm On Dec 25, 2019
Valentinooo:
JAMB standard has dropped.

Pick a jamb past question, compare questions of the 1970s, 1980s with those of 2015, 2016.
You will see what I'm saying.
Even WAEC standard has dropped too
Very correct
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by oweniwe(m): 5:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
MZrapper:
In my days I scored 219 and for that year I was like the glory of the family. grin grin grin

Me wey score 272 nko?
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Quorax: 5:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
hooha:
Maybe the questions are not as hard as before!!! Because we gat brains those days...or maybe information technology is helping...
It is actually the latter. They now have access to more information, teaching patterns, revisions, extra lessons that most of their older folks. Technology has changed everything...

I also feel that hiring the best teachers also help them these days.

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by webngnews: 5:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
hmmm
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
m140:

Back then 200, 210 no be here ooo, now students rejoice with this marks, ask students of OAU screening for 2005 aspirants, they will tell you, people go house die that year failing screening.

Back then anything above 230 was a hoax. I heard of many lecturers in our time saying above 230 was cheating that time tine given and the difficulty of the questions also makes it impossible. Imagine 2.5hours for physics chemistry maths and English and then score 320. Lol. Bought results

Cc CSTR2 ToxicBrain
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 25, 2019
This is Messi and Ronaldo and era..

These kids are better jo...

Knowledge is everywhere now.. You don't have to be confined to a Library to get knowledge required to score 280+...

Better coaching, better explanation and evolution too.. Sharper minds..

But some of them still score below 200. And I don't think cut off score has increased..
It is generally 200 and above For Post UTME!!!

Social Media is the major distraction of present generation.. If we remove SM factor, kids of this generation should do better than kids of last generations!!
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by 4gunners(m): 5:06pm On Dec 25, 2019
I can emphatically tell you, without any iota of doubt, that the standard has changed since the merger of exam written by university, polytechnic and college of education applicant.

If you're doubting what I posited, compare the 2001, 2002, 2003 UME questions with that of 2015 upwards.

5 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 25, 2019
linearity:

Also compare second class upper graduates of today to second class upper of those days, you will conclude that we have a problem with quality today, despite the increase in qualities compare to days of old.
Tertiary education has remained static for many years.. Don't even go there.. There is more to university education that book.. Most tertiary schools are overrated secondary schools in curriculum and facilities!!!!

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:07pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:
This is Messi and Ronaldo and era..

These kids are better jo...

Knowledge is everywhere now.. You don't have to be confined to a Library to get knowledge required to score 280+...

Better coaching, better explanation and evolution too.. Sharper minds..

But some of them still score below 200. And I don't think cut off score has increased..
It is generally 200 and above For Post UTME!!!

Social Media is the major distraction of present generation.. If we remove SM factor, kids of this generation should do better than kids of last generations!!

If that's the case why have our society not been transformed by this same knowledge. After all transformer is merely copper wire and magnetic core. Why haven't they started to open assembling plants for motorbikes. Keke. Why are the so called intellects not capable of transferring their creativity into reality. With justthe knowledge of mitosis and meiosis for example one can be a mega millionaire.

JAMB is never a tool oto consider to measure employment. Thank God my company just sailed. I'll never hire based on the merits I see on the papers they throw around.

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:09pm On Dec 25, 2019
4gunners:
I can emphatically tell you, without any iota of doubt, that the standard has changed since the merger of exam written by university, polytechnic and college of education applicant.

If you're doubting what I posited, compare the 2001, 2002, 2003 UME questions with that of 2015 upwards.

The UME questions for 2000 2001 2002 2003 was like the devil had one thought in mind. To make people fail. Apart from the hard questionnaire, the time was grossly insufficient. So those who scored 250 and up and still say it only do so to their shame. Lol. Expo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by tuzle(m): 5:10pm On Dec 25, 2019
I wrote my first jamb 2011 (then there was nothing like cbt) and I also sat for another jamb 2016 (which was cbt) that was after my ND. The questions u see in the paper type are far harder that what we see now. When it comes to cbt there are lot of restrictions in question type. Even in my school funaab we do cbt exams 100l and 200l and I can tell u that the questions are simple
compared to what u would get if it were to be paper type. Also jamb repeat questions a lot

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

If that's the case why have our society not been transformed by this same knowledge. After all transformer is merely copper wire and magnetic core. Why haven't they started to open assembling plants for motorbikes. Keke. Why are the so called intellects not capable of transferring their creativity into reality. With justthe knowledge of mitosis and meiosis for example one can be a mega millionaire.

JAMB is never a tool oto consider to measure employment. Thank God my company just sailed. I'll never hire based on the merits I see on the papers they throw around.
JAMB is at secondary school level na.. Book, theories, knowledge are relevant at this stage..

Tertiary level is different: It is more than mere Knowledge. Research, creativity, Discovery etc are more relevant at this stage.. That is where we get it wrong In Nigeria..

Some lecturers still teach with a 1995 lecture note..
Some handouts have not been revised since 1999
Some universities lab are nothing to reckon with
Some lecture still focus on Pascal, Fortran in this age
All the La place, all the Phoria series, are just there for grade..

So many misplaced priorities in our higher institutions!!!

We should be able to get skills that can translate to the labour market.. But that is not the case..

Each individual has to develop himself/herself!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 5:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

Back then anything above 230 was a hoax. I heard of many lecturers in our time saying above 230 was cheating that time tine given and the difficulty of the questions also makes it impossible. Imagine 2.5hours for physics chemistry maths and English and then score 320. Lol. Bought results
Yeah, but got 269 then to gain admission , it was even after sitting for one ume and two pce.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:16pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:

Jane is at secondary school level na.. Book, theory, knowledge are relevant at this stage..

Tertiary level is different: It is more than mere Knowledge. Research, creativity, Discovery etc are more relevant at this stage.. That is where we get it wrong In Nigeria..

Some lecturers still teach with a 1995 lecture note..
Some handouts have not been revised since 1999
Some universities lab are nothing to reckon with
Some lecture still focus on Pascal, Fortran in this age
All the La place, all the Phoria series, are just there for grade..

So many misplaced priorities in our higher institutions!!!

The same spirit out to be transferred to the higher level if truly they're as good as those fake grades they brag about.... grin I'm not surprised not more than 2 or 3 in my generation turned out amazing. The fake results they were throwing around along with the fake culture didn't do much in real life.

Practicality is the knowledge not the fake results. Till today, there's a level a person will tell me he or she scores in JAMB that I won't say its cheating. Its not possible to score high at that age grade with the time and difficulty of questions impossible.

Cc ToxicBrain CSTR2
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by BlackSpanner: 5:17pm On Dec 25, 2019
I can say without any doubt that standards have dropped with the introduction of CBT. Questions are not as tough as before, calculators are now allowed, questions are repeated.

Students of this generation are duller and lazier. If you doubt, visit any JAMB tutorial center as from January or just spend one in a private or worst still a government secondary school.

But the worst of it all is WAEC, which to me looks so useless by the day and has lost its integrity.

Mind you we still have enough runz going on in JAMB even with its CBT. Don't ask how. This is Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hijab: Kwara Directs Closure Of Schools In Ilorin / Michael Okpara University Agriculture Umudike Admission 2013/2014 / Victory Yinka-Banjo Gets 19 Scholarship Offers Worth $5m From US And Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.