Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (36971 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by 4gunners(m): 9:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
edoairways:

brainhgeek has given the best response. Jamb hasn't changed it's standard or questions rather technology had assist

Jamb has watered down the standard. Bro, try and check the questions of early 2000, you will commend those that sat for the exam even without calculator.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by tshege(m): 9:37pm On Dec 25, 2019
I am a writer, and I know how it feels if your editor asks for revisions. After spending hours on your blog post/essay or document, you are asked to revise your work. How painful!

I have a solution for you, get Grammarly!

Ouch! Grammarly is a tad bit expensive. How many people can afford the $135 a year subscription?

I have a solution for you. I will get you a Grammarly premium account for a pittance. Chikini money o.

No DM for prices, I'll sell you a Grammarly account to you for ₦2,000.00 only.

Send me a message here on WhatsApp for your Premium account o8I62294oI7

When you send me a message, please, go straight to the point no reduction in price.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by kareemkamil(m): 10:00pm On Dec 25, 2019
I thought as much, but children of nowadays are intelligent, because the man in charge of JAMB didn't tolerate any nonsense from any body. His ready to sack any board of director who involve in exam manipratices.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by dayorich: 10:17pm On Dec 25, 2019
Mr Chairman of the Indomie Generation, which year did you sit for UME?

And who is talking of the early 2000s when most of us have graduated or already in 400L?

Listen!
It was very strange and almost a taboo for anyone to score 300 in the mid-90s.
Top-ranking cut-off marks for Engineering and Medicine & Surgery was in the range of 260 - 280.

Please, go and warm your indomie bros...

Throwback:
Wrong!

Most cut-off marks for Engineering, Law and Medical Science courses were above 270 in most of the top 6 federal universities in the early 2000s.

Then, when you score 250 or 260, you already know you can only gain admission on a supplementary admission list known as connection list, instead of the merit admission list. Otherwise, you do a change of university to state university or a change of course.

Those days, Science candidates (PhyChemBi) with below 250 were almost sure to rewrite the exam or gain admission for Zoology, Botany of Human Kinetics, while Science candidates (PhyChemMa) with below 250 would likely only secure admission for Met&Mat Engineering or Agricultural Engineering.

Law candidates with such scores had to settle for English, while Agricultural Economics came to the rescue of both Science and Commerce candidates.

Also the top scores for the exams then were also always above 300, with some scoring as high as 320 or 330. However, only about 20 to 40 candidates made the scores above 300.

Admittedly, it is easier to score higher now than in the times I referenced, due to the more comfortable exam environment and use of calculators.

With the proliferation of Federal, State and Private Universities when compared to the number in the late '90s and early 2000s, candidates now score 200 and 210 and are rejoicing.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Topmaike007(m): 10:47pm On Dec 25, 2019
MZrapper:
In my days I scored 219 and for that year I was like the glory of the family. grin grin grin
me too the respect I gathered in my family was second to none anytime I am coming back from school everyone want to visit my father house to tell me welcome na 203 I applied into ABU that year
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by King44(m): 10:50pm On Dec 25, 2019
beardedboy:
In addition to the above points, I think past questions are also responsible for it.

The more the years of past questions, the more samples teachers and students have to study JAMB's methods and techniques.

So I think schools and instructors have mastered JAMB's methods and tricks.

I should emphasize that the factors affecting the improved performance could be more than one. As some people above mentioned;

-improved teaching techniques
- increase in people seeking admission which has led to increase in competition.
- presence of more past questions to study JAMB's patterns.

in my own case I rose from scoring 150, 170 to 236,236 and 242 there is no matering of tricks just get familiar with the topics through relevant text books that won't beat around the bush, and get yourself discipline in time management In cbt lobatan you can score anything the standard no drop kankan na still the same topics no difference. that year that first year I conquared jamb was the year I realized I was responsible for my low scores and ever till the last jamb I did jamb was as simple as pap the last I did I only read English and literature only 2 weeks before exam n less serious about reading I scored that high reason is because the secret of passing jamb has been revealed to me all by my self i became fearless all na still seriousness it is still hard for many

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by edoairways: 10:52pm On Dec 25, 2019
4gunners:

Jamb has watered down the standard. Bro, try and check the questions of early 2000, you will commend those that sat for the exam even without calculator.
You are looking at it from the perspective of Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry without considering other subjects.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by TruthinAction: 11:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
The 300+ scores have always been there but most of such scores where obtained by those who went through A level program and took the JAMB a second time. The A level program has been made up by most schools teaching those aspects of the syllabus that are required by JAMB like Calculus in Mathematics. As much as Educational standard has dropped, there are still some private schools that maintains high standard. Besides, past questions and answers are more readily available now than years back.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ilevic(m): 11:28pm On Dec 25, 2019
I think the exam is easier to pass now than before. Go through Jamb past questions, you would see that a number of questions are being repeated. Some teachers now encourage their students to solve all JAMB past questions during revision classes. Added to that there are more textbooks now that give detailed explanation on each JAMB past question. Most of these textbooks were not available in our days
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Throwback: 12:37am On Dec 26, 2019
dayorich:
Mr Chairman of the Indomie Generation, which year did you sit for UME?

And who is talking of the early 2000s when most of us have graduated or already in 400L?

Listen!
It was very strange and almost a taboo for anyone to score 300 in the mid-90s.
Top-ranking cut-off marks for Engineering and Medicine & Surgery was in the range of 260 - 280.

Please, go and warm your indomie bros...

Besides disagreeing with whether candidates scored above 300 or not, did you not re-echo the cut-off scores I already mentioned?

As for indomie and its generation, did university students not stock indomie and Maggi 2minute noodles in the mid '90s?

Or in your own warped recollection, Indomie was a product of the late '90s?

Even my sibling born in the late '70s had been eating Indomie before university admission in 1996.

Better calm down and accept that even you are part of the Indomie generation, so you are no wiser than an era you describe so condescendingly.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by MrMi6(m): 12:51am On Dec 26, 2019
Valentinooo:
JAMB standard has dropped.

Pick a jamb past question, compare questions of the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s with those of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
You will see what I'm saying.
Even WAEC standard has dropped too

You have said it all. standard has dropped. comparing past years confirms the drop.
Hence the intellectually devoted students take advantage of the system while others play away their time in unproductive activities.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by MrMi6(m): 12:55am On Dec 26, 2019
YungMillionaire:
JAMB does not measure intelligence.

What does? Story for the gods.
Jamb is and was everything to the smart students.
The fear of jamb, mehn!
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by stormborn28(m): 1:13am On Dec 26, 2019
ProudBoy:
It is the Computer-based System. During the hard copy days, questions were harder. CBT questions simple.
you alone gave the right answer
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by chinchum(m): 2:06am On Dec 26, 2019
I can't really comment on WAEC questions , but i think JAMB questions have being watered down, however the kids nowadays are more intelligent /smart most importantly because of the impart of information technology.

20 years ago, there were few private secondary schools anywhere, and the most of the few private secondary schools were sub-standard, the reverse is gradually becoming the case. A lot of the private secondary schools are now intense and quite intentionally in training the students for external exams like JAMB /WAEC. The first time i wrote jamb, i think the overall best in Nigeria score was 286 , and i think there was another year it was 278..... In the year 2000, less than 8% of Jamb Applicants scored 200 and above. I do not think malpractices is higher now, i feel it was greater then, as exam questions used to leak some times a day before exam in the late 90's. If such kind of leakage was in this day of high internet pernetration and social media, the exam malpractices would have been widespread.
In 1999, Jamb Registrar Mallam Salim had to introduce a joker exam question types to disappoint people who already had access to exam questions and solved objective answers. Biometrics and cancellation of special centres have further improved the exam organisation, however the bad guys are always scheming to outwit the exams, i learnt all candidates now need NIN from NIMC to sit for the exam.

The access to lots of past questions/ answers can also not be understated in the impact on improved performance of applicants.

Lastly, JAMB is forced to set lots of questions for the same subject due to the new computer based nature of the exams, in a way it waters down the uniformity and standard.

However, more undergraduates now make first class in Nigerian Universities, and even top tier Federal Universities than it was some decades ago. The new kids are smarter is the overall verdict.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Justmemyself1(m): 5:02am On Dec 26, 2019
chinchum:
I can't really comment on WAEC questions , but i think JAMB questions have being watered down, however the kids nowadays are more intelligent /smart most importantly because of the impart of information technology.

20 years ago, there were few private secondary schools anywhere, and the most of the few private secondary schools were sub-standard, the reverse is gradually becoming the case. A lot of the private secondary schools are now intense and quite intentionally in training the students for external exams like JAMB /WAEC. The first time i wrote jamb, i think the overall best in Nigeria score was 286 , and i think there was another year it was 278..... In the year 2000, less than 8% of Jamb Applicants scored 200 and above. I do not think malpractices is higher now, i feel it was greater then, as exam questions used to leak some times a day before exam in the late 90's. If such kind of leakage was in this day of high internet pernetration and social media, the exam malpractices would have been widespread.
In 1999, Jamb Registrar Mallam Salim had to introduce a joker exam question types to disappoint people who already had access to exam questions and solved objective answers. Biometrics and cancellation of special centres have further improved the exam organisation, however the bad guys are always scheming to outwit the exams, i learnt all candidates now need NIN from NIMC to sit for the exam.

The access to lots of past questions/ answers can also not be understated in the impact on improved performance of applicants.

Lastly, JAMB is forced to set lots of questions for the same subject due to the new computer based nature of the exams, in a way it waters down the uniformity and standard.

However, more undergraduates now make first class in Nigerian Universities, and even top tier Federal Universities than it was some decades ago. The new kids are smarter is the overall verdict.

That year 2000 was the year Bosun shocked the whole Nigeria - scored a whopping 346!

I agree jamb was hard and tough that year
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by octavian(m): 6:01am On Dec 26, 2019
Interesting thread, intellectual discussion from Page 1 till now.. Please Nairaland can we have more of such threads?

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by jasperism(m): 6:12am On Dec 26, 2019
the difference is manual writing and computer writing.

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Okehi001: 7:37am On Dec 26, 2019
ProudBoy:
It is the Computer-based System. During the hard copy days, questions were harder. CBT questions simple.

This is the simple truth
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by patosky3310(m): 8:09am On Dec 26, 2019
Advancement in technology and teaching methodologies have a lot of roles to play in the increased performance of jambites.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:26am On Dec 26, 2019
4gunners:

They have not watered down the standard

It's still commensurate

Why do we like suffer head too much in this country.
It must have something to do With our battered psyche

Is it not the same exam that many many are still failing woefully?

These days, technology aida learning

What my nephew knows at 7 years old today

I'm not sure I knew half at 13
And I'm not dull

All these online and offline resources that have at their disposal

The boy was talking Quantum physics and I was like shocked shocked
How manage
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 8:28am On Dec 26, 2019
chinchum:

I see your argument
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by BlackSpanner: 8:59am On Dec 26, 2019
OwoukoUrua:

with reference to the part --- "I asked a student who had A1 in Chemistry the full meaning of IUPAC, he was confused and told me he had never heard such before." ---

it is JAMB UTME that is being discussed here and not WAEC/NECO . . . The later as we all know,has been bastardly bastardized.

Hmmn!!! WAEC/NECO bastardly bastardized.
Please can you shed more light on that your phrase
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by yusman14(m): 9:11am On Dec 26, 2019
Throwback:
Wrong!

Most cut-off marks for Engineering, Law and Medical Science courses were above 270 in most of the top 6 federal universities in the early 2000s.

Then, when you score 250 or 260, you already know you can only gain admission on a supplementary admission list known as connection list, instead of the merit admission list. Otherwise, you do a change of university to state university or a change of course.

Those days, Science candidates (PhyChemBi) with below 250 were almost sure to rewrite the exam or gain admission for Zoology, Botany of Human Kinetics, while Science candidates (PhyChemMa) with below 250 would likely only secure admission for Met&Mat Engineering or Agricultural Engineering.

Law candidates with such scores had to settle for English, while Agricultural Economics came to the rescue of both Science and Commerce candidates.

Also the top scores for the exams then were also always above 300, with some scoring as high as 320 or 330. However, only about 20 to 40 candidates made the scores above 300.

Admittedly, it is easier to score higher now than in the times I referenced, due to the more comfortable exam environment and use of calculators.

With the proliferation of Federal, State and Private Universities when compared to the number in the late '90s and early 2000s, candidates now score 200 and 210 and are rejoicing.
Bro things have really changed..most schools now use aggregate I nstead of jamb score...
I had 270..and 68% aggregate.. and the cut off mark for met and mat engineering (OAU) was 67% then.. electronics engineering was 71% ,just little difference..
cut off is now high....
I am a 300l met and mat engineering student of OAU and none my course mate had below 255 in UTME.....
Faculty of technology of OAU is very competitive
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ohuatc(m): 9:12am On Dec 26, 2019
LordIsaac:
Honestly, it amazes me too. But we weren't dull na...
It is due to the emergence of the computer age.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by loganx: 9:39am On Dec 26, 2019
I believe JAMB has discovered and corrected a glitch in the marking systems using punch cards back in the days.
JAMB had a very evil process of marking back in the days when you score 270, you are considered a genius
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by gtboy1(m): 9:40am On Dec 26, 2019
Knowledge has increased
Informations are at our finger tips now bu means of the internet
Teaching is made easy too. No new things are been discovered too in this part plus questions are been recycled. If it remains like this someone will even score distinction in the nearest future.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Ikennablue(m): 9:41am On Dec 26, 2019
Valentinooo:
JAMB's standard has dropped.

Pick a jamb past question, compare questions from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s with those of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
You will see what I'm saying.
Even WAEC's standard has dropped too
You are so right. Jamb standard has really dropped. When I was preparing for jamb, I did not even look at those questions of 1970 and 80s'. I only studied those of 2016 and upward and I easily scored 287
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by emmykk(m): 11:36am On Dec 26, 2019
brainhgeek:

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.

People did score high then,this topic is of no use.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Equity15(m): 12:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
although there is more exposure now but damn the standard has dropped.I for sure know it has dropped. they even give them literature text now in which more than 15 questions are set from it. c'mon

NB: I be indomie generation.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DexterousOne(m): 12:27pm On Dec 26, 2019
Equity15:
although there is more exposure now but damn the standard has dropped.I for sure know it has dropped. they even give them literature text now in which more than 15 questions are set from it. c'mon

NB: I be indomie generation.

LMAO at indomie generation
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by erayo2GCA(m): 2:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
In my opinion CBT is one the reason
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by BalogunIdowu(m): 2:38pm On Dec 26, 2019
brainhgeek:

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.

Students in the past weren't prepared for these exams like jambs and Waec. They were only taught to pass school exams without being exposed to stuffs

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hijab: Kwara Directs Closure Of Schools In Ilorin / Michael Okpara University Agriculture Umudike Admission 2013/2014 / Victory Yinka-Banjo Gets 19 Scholarship Offers Worth $5m From US And Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.