Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (36969 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
m140:

Yeah, but got 269 then to gain admission , it was even after sitting for one ume and two pce.

You didn't buy expo? No normal person can score above 230/260 in JAMB by my standard and not later become a serious social transformative agent in the nation. Trust me. I'm a Genius. Let's leave humility asides.

Cc: ToxicBrain CSTR2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

The same spirit out to be transferred to the higher level if truly they're as good as those fake grades they brag about.... grin I'm not surprised not more than 2 or 3 in my generation turned out amazing. The fake results they were throwing around along with the fake culture didn't do much in real life.

Practicality is the knowledge not the fake results. Till today, there's a level a person will tell me he or she scores in JAMB that I won't say its cheating. Its not possible to score high at that age grade with the time and difficulty of questions impossible.
JAMB does not translate to career success na...

What are you talking about??

You may be the best performer in Jamb and not end up among the top 20 in your set in the university..

Also, considering how deficient Nigeria curriculum is, being among the best I your set, does not automatically translate to be the most successful career wise..

There are other variables such as opportunities, personal development, extra certification, more practical exposure in firms etc..

You can't just focus on Jamb score in isolation!!!

I performed better than my predecessors in JAMB(during my time) but I don't consider myself better than them career wise!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by caybee007(m): 5:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
While we cannot rule out the fact that today's students have access to better learning facilities and help of the internet, also teachers are better trained now than before. However, both waec and jamb syllabus has been watered down seriously and the questions are getting easier and simpler by the day. For example, if you check the jamb mathematics syllabus after 2004, they have removed application of differentiation and integration, also adjoint and inverse of a 3x3 matrix was also deleted. Same for physics, chemistry and other subjects.

As a teacher for so many years, I can tell you that students of recent times are enjoying the double advantage of not only reduced syllabus but also easy and convenient access to knowledge and information. Hence, the higher scores and grades. MO

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:
JAMB does not translate to career success na...

What are you talking about??

You may be the best performer in Jamb and not end up among the top 20 in your set in the university..

Also, considering how deficient Nigeria curriculum is, being among the best I your set, does not automatically translate to be the most successful career wise..

There are other variables such as opportunities, personal development, extra certification, more practical exposure in firms etc..

You can't just focus on Jamb score in isolation!!!

I performed better than my predecessors in JAMB(during my time) but I don't consider myself better than them career wise!!!

On the contrary, if a height is attained then transferring the same intelligence should suffice. If you were a top performer without cutting corners and you're stunted career wise, check yourself. I'm exactly saying any top performer of then ought to have transfered that brilliance to work and career and shine. Trust me. Was a top performer. Still I'm. Over 1000 research papers to my credit. With my company setting out to produce my first 25 invented products. With my entire production systems and machinery designed by me. If we were brilliant at level one, then I'm exolpecting a continuity to level ten. This is what I'm saying. So if you scored extremely high but then doing bad on the career front, then the results were not a reflection of your true intellectual prowess

And JAMB as other exams are supposed to be tools to measure intellectualism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Dextre(m): 5:25pm On Dec 25, 2019
hooha:
The rate at which students make high scores nowadays in JAMB is something to understand.

In those days, people do not make such high scores, even the intelligent ones. Those days, you see very intelligent people scoring 265, 270, 280, etc; but today, I think the rate of 300+ seems higher.

So what is the factor? Is it that JAMB quality has dropped or Students are now more intelligent?

Inte wetin...jamb has dropped,moreover there is more cheating these days than in the olden days
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DavidEsq(m): 5:26pm On Dec 25, 2019
brainhgeek:

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.
Yet graduates today can barely frame a correctly written or spoken sentence in English language. In fact, they are the major proponents of "English is not my mother tongue".

2 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 25, 2019
Ojukwudfugitive:
Students are duller now. They now use calculators which were strictly prohibited in examination halls in those days. In addition, the negative markings don't apply these days as was the case a decade ago. Jamb questions were more of advanced level before but now O' level for this indomie generation. The combination of these factors has resulted in "illiterate" graduates that litter our streets looking for jobs. I asked a student who had A1 in Chemistry the full meaning of IUPAC, he was confused and told me he had never heard such before. The standard has really fallen!
Are you sure that guy had A1..
Full meaning of IUPAC..
You get time o.. I never engage anyone of them. I just encourage them to work harder for the Post UTME..
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 25, 2019
Standards never drop..peps are still failing and guys are still reading........if you see anyone with above 300 in jamb give them a handshake ....they read hard
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by mechanics(m): 5:36pm On Dec 25, 2019
Same syllabus.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by BlackSpanner: 5:37pm On Dec 25, 2019
Dextre:

Inte wetin...jamb has dropped,moreover there is more cheating these days than in the olden days

Hmmn. Cheating in JAMB and WAEC
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by toxicbrain: 5:41pm On Dec 25, 2019
The standard dropped ... I could remember then in secondary school solving the 80's PQ was very difficult but the recent years then we were blazing through. The type of calculations then would take almost a whole page to solve. These days, you don't even need a pen and paper to calculate the type of chemistry and physics questions asked. The number of questions too. From 250 to 160 or so

I was a jamb tutor for 4years. I can bodly tell you that the standard dropped!!

5 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by freeDR(m): 5:44pm On Dec 25, 2019
ProudBoy:
It is the Computer-based System. During the hard copy days, questions were harder. CBT questions simple.
You arere the first person to nail it. The introduction of CBT is the culprit. Nothing more.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by maximunimpact(m): 5:45pm On Dec 25, 2019
Most educative thread of the year, so many intelligent replies

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

On the contrary, if a height is mentioned then transferring the same mechanism should suffice. If you were a top performer without cutting corners and you're stunted carrier wise, check yourself. I'm exactly saying any top performer of then ought to have transfered that brilliance to work and career and shine. Trust me. Was a top performer. Still I'm. Over 1000 research papers to my credit. With my company setting out to produce my first 25 invented products. With my entire production systems and machinery designed by me. If we were brilliant at level one, then I'm exolpecting a continuity to level ten. This is what I'm saying. So if you scored extremely high but then doing bad on the career front, then the results were not a reflection of your true intellectual prowess

And JAMB as other exams are supposed to be tools to measure intellectualism.
Not everyone maintain the momentum tho...

Career is dependent on how motivated you are, how much of hardwork you applied , how exposed you are and how much of passion you developed for what you studied ..

It is possible to score 280 in JAMB and end up more successful that a 310 guy of the same exam year!! Yes, such is life..

JAMB is just for admission.. It is not entirely a measure of Intelligence or ability to be successful in one's career!!!

If a 2002 guy who scored 260 is being compared to a 2014 guy who scored 310 just because the former is very successful but the latter is still wobbling, I think JAMB would be a wrong criteria to factor in here!!

Life comes with many variables!!!!

Your success is because you intensified effort at different phases of your studies, you got your focus right throughout your years in the university etc.. It is a personality and passion thing.. Not just the JAMB score of yesteryears!!!

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Starkid3010(m): 5:51pm On Dec 25, 2019
There are more intense competitions
And I can boastfully say
Guys are more smart and intelligent now
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 5:51pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:
Not everyone maintain the momentum tho...

Career is dependent on how motivated you are, how much of hardwork you applied , how exposed you are and how much of passion you developed for what you studied ..

It is possible to score 280 in JAMB and end up more successful that a 310 guy of the same exam year!! Yes, such is life..

JAMB is just for admission.. It is not entirely a measure of Intelligence or ability to be successful in one's career!!!

If a 2002 guy who scored 260 is being compared to a 2014 guy who scored 310 just because the former is very successful but the latter is still wobbling, I think JAMB would be a wrong criteria to factor in here!!

Life comes with many variables!!!!

Your success is because you intensified effort at different phases of your studies, you got your focus right throughout your years in the university etc.. It is a personality and passion thing.. Not just the JAMB score of yesteryears!!!

JAMB isn't just for admission. But to ensure students are graded based on intellectualism. It was and is created as a tool to measure and rank intelligence.

Intelligence is never a thing to ascribe as a thing of yester years. No excuses should be given, if a height was truly attained, then it ought to have been maintained and then embroider into the fabric of the society. Anything less is faulty logic.

It's the synthesis, application and performance of knowledge thateads to societal transformation. If the whole world becomes bland and dull after attaining an intellectual heights then by now knowledge would have been obsolete and extinct and not improved upon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Starkid3010(m): 5:55pm On Dec 25, 2019
Okpa042:
The standards did not drop. People are still banging 180, 116, 142..even 96

Okay...see chike that applied for geography..chike got 109

Thats all I can say
grin

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by DonroxyII: 5:55pm On Dec 25, 2019
hooha:
The rate at which students make high scores nowadays in JAMB is something to understand.

In those days, people do not make such high scores, even the intelligent ones. Those days, you see very intelligent people scoring 265, 270, 280, etc; but today, I think the rate of 300+ seems higher.

So what is the factor? Is it that JAMB quality has dropped or Students are now more intelligent?
Students of nowadays are better informed and they have real time access to information. They are better than those of the pasts . Imagine a Jambite or WAEC student having a WhatsApp group that solve problems as at when arises.

Unless those among the new generation that want to play.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by juniorstar(m): 5:59pm On Dec 25, 2019
had 300+ back then opted for medicine wasn't given d next year had 257 in final year medicine now rounding up in few months time

1 Like

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 25, 2019
Throwback:
Wrong!

Most cut-off marks for Engineering, Law and Medical Science courses were above 270 in most of the top 6 federal universities in the early 2000s.

Then, when you score 250 or 260, you already know you can only gain admission on a supplementary admission list known as connection list, instead of the merit admission list. Otherwise, you do a change of university to state university or a change of course.

Those days, Science candidates (PhyChemBi) with below 250 were almost sure to rewrite the exam or gain admission for Zoology, Botany of Human Kinetics, while Science candidates (PhyChemMa) with below 250 would likely only secure admission for Met&Mat Engineering or Agricultural Engineering.

Law candidates with such scores had to settle for English, while Agricultural Economics came to the rescue of both Science and Commerce candidates.

Also the top scores for the exams then were also always above 300, with some scoring as high as 320 or 330. However, only about 20 to 40 candidates made the scores above 300.

Admittedly, it is easier to score higher now than in the times I referenced, due to the more comfortable exam environment and use of calculators.

With the proliferation of Federal, State and Private Universities when compared to the number in the late '90s and early 2000s, candidates now score 200 and 210 and are rejoicing.
That's true, I remember we didn't use calculator in our time both for jamb and waec and post ume but they allow calculators now
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

JAMB isn't just for admission. But to ensure students are graded based on intellectualism. It was and is created as a tool to measure and rank intelligence.

Intelligence is never a thing to ascribe as a thing of yester years. No excuses should be given, if a height was truly attained, then it ought to have been maintained and then embroider into the fabric of the society. Anything less is faulty logic.

It's the synthesis, application and performance of knowledge thateads to societal transformation. If the whole world becomes bland and dull after attaining an intellectual heights then by now knowledge would have been obsolete and extinct and not improved upon.
What about risk taking, ability to cope under stress, ability to read volumes that are far beyond standard of O levels, ability to beat time, ability to cope in spite of distractions etc??
I don't believe that high JAMB score has a lot of role to play in how successful we become in our respective careers..

JAMB test for easy knowledge.. Just 3 years knowledge of O level stuffs. Very basic level of Knowledge!!!

I won't be surprised if someone that scored 250 is performing better career wise compared to a guy that scored 300 (on merit). I won't be shocked at all!!!
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by HBB1(m): 6:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
When I wrote jamb, questions were rarely repeated-- it was basically a 100 level exam for secondary school students.

That was one exam!
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by healthserve(m): 6:05pm On Dec 25, 2019
eni4real:
What about risk taking, ability to cope under stress, ability to read volumes that are far beyond standard of O levels, ability to beat time, ability to cope in spite of distractions etc??
I don't believe that high JAMB score has a lot of role to play in how successful we become in our respective careers..

JAMB test for easy knowledge.. Just 3 years knowledge of O level stuffs. Very basic level of Knowledge!!!

I won't be surprised if someone that scored 250 is performing better career wise compared to a guy that scored 300 (on merit). I won't be shocked at all!!!

Then you've just agreed to my position and we imply the same thing. It's either the results we're faked or something happened to those students who performed extremely well on the educational front but do not become societal transformative agents. It's always one or both
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Zoe99(f): 6:10pm On Dec 25, 2019
I think this also has something to do with the compulsory computer-based system of answering questions.I think one of the reasons why people failed alot when paper and pencil was the main system was poor shading technique.I heard something like if you shade a box and the pencil gets into the adjacent box by mistake,the mark accorded by the machine for that question is zero.With the computer-based system however,that problem simply does not exist.

2 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by thedio(m): 6:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
U r not alone also the way these boys and girls pasys waec with distinctions amaze me.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by m140(m): 6:28pm On Dec 25, 2019
healthserve:

You didn't buy expo? No normal person can score above 230/260 in JAMB by my standard and not later become a serious social transformative agent in the nation. Trust me. I'm a Genius. Let's leave humility asides.

Can't make mouth ooo, bros I prepared well ooo, not like the ones have been writing before.... It wasn't even difficult for me cus it's only chemistry I got little issue I love physics and maths a lot and I wrote both that year...
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2019
Vivikema:
2014,I had 99 in biology in jamb....the thing surprise me sef grin
Really? Hope you secured admission that year sha?
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by brainhgeek(m): 6:38pm On Dec 25, 2019
Quorax:
Do you teach in any of these British schools with at least 1000 pupils? Let me know please. we might have something to work on. Thanks

Ok. We can talk about it really.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:39pm On Dec 25, 2019
The same topic I was discussing with my junior brother a while ago, where we are having many 1st class graduates (300+ at a go!)

It all boils down to the internet!
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by David2O(m): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2019
eedimo:
JAMB ON A CHRISTMAS DAY�
lol Just being a professional student with insight
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Monday60655(m): 6:41pm On Dec 25, 2019
The reason is that JAMB is only recycling questions questions. New questions each year is less than 15%. So once you understand this antics, your probability of getting high score is far too high.
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by vickolex: 6:42pm On Dec 25, 2019
1.The exam has been watered down a bit even my students confirmed that past questions between 1990's - around 2010 are tougher than the current questions.
2.The current especially those ones in good private schools are being taught well by young brilliant teachers unlike in those days where most of out teachers were struggling passing the knowledge and their bullying nature prevented us from questioning them well like these ones do to some us.
hooha:

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hijab: Kwara Directs Closure Of Schools In Ilorin / Michael Okpara University Agriculture Umudike Admission 2013/2014 / Victory Yinka-Banjo Gets 19 Scholarship Offers Worth $5m From US And Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.