Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,895 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas (63232 Views)

Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? / The Covenant Of Prophet Muhammad With The Christians Of Sinai / The Forgotten Christians Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by Nowenuse: 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2019
darfay:

That means there is a possibility of having a unified/central standard dialect created for the plateau tribes...
BTW I think the isoko and urhobo constitute a dialect continuum, but asides language every other thing is 100% same

Not really, cos those tribes I listed are like 35% of the state. They are the Chadic speakers who from my calculations immigrated to the Plateau about 1000 years ago during the Kanuri expansion into present day Northeast Nigeria.

My ethnic group, and other ethnic groups like the Rons & Beroms who speak Platoid languages are of a much older origin on the Plateau and are very different even from each other but with little similarities. The Taroks are like a hybrid between the Aboriginal Platoid speakers and Chadic speakers. People in Bassa area are of same stock with their neighbors in Lere part of Southern Kaduna. In summary it is a big Mish mash up grin.

In southern Kaduna, the Platoid speakers are the majority, that is the Katafs, Bajjus, Gong, Fanstuam, Kaninkon, Aticherak e.t.c and they understand themselves to an extent.

In the future, I will study more about these things. We can recreate a single central language for Plateau & Southern Kaduna, but it will have to be a merger of at least 4 language groups and will be very confusing.

Between Isoko & Urhobo, the difference between various Urhobo dialects is the same difference between any Urhobo dialect and Isoko.
Okpe is as different from Ughelli dialect as Isoko is different from Uvwie dialect. ... These things are very very fluid.

2 Likes

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by Nowenuse: 8:52pm On Dec 27, 2019
MoIbrahim:
When I wrote I didn't say northern or southern.
By the way, Kaduna is divided into Southern, Central and Northen districts and there are christians in all the three districts. And beyond the media rhetorics to score political points, there lots of muslims in the southern district too.

Kaduna is culturally divided into a Northern half and a Southern half.
The tribes on the South, the Hausa-fulanis on the north. You cannot use the senatorial districts to divide the state culturally because it is flawed.

Yes there are lots of Muslims in Southern Kaduna just as there are lots of Christians in Northern Kaduna too.

There are Hausa Muslim settlers and immigrants in Southern Kaduna and there are indigenous muslims from indigenous tribes in Southern Kaduna.

Likewise there are indigenous Hausa christians of Northern Kaduna as well as there are Igbo and other northern tribes christians who are immigrants in Northern Kaduna.

People tend not to understand these simple differences.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by darfay: 8:57pm On Dec 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Not really, cos those tribes I listed are like 35% of the state. They are the Chadic speakers who from my calculations immigrated to the Plateau about 1000 years ago during the Kanuri expansion into present day Northeast Nigeria.

My ethnic group, and other ethnic groups like the Rons & Beroms who speak Platoid languages are of a much older origin on the Plateau and are very different even from each other but with little similarities. The Taroks are like a hybrid between the Aboriginal Platoid speakers and Chadic speakers. People in Bassa area are of same stock with their neighbors in Lere part of Southern Kaduna. In summary it is a big Mish mash up grin.

In southern Kaduna, the Platoid speakers are the majority, that is the Katafs, Bajjus, Gong, Fanstuam, Kaninkon, Aticherak e.t.c and they understand themselves to an extent.

In the future, I will study more about these things. We can recreate a single central language for Plateau & Southern Kaduna, but it will have to be a merger of at least 4 language groups and will be very confusing.

Between Isoko & Urhobo, the difference between various Urhobo dialects is the same difference between any Urhobo dialect and Isoko.
Okpe is as different from Ughelli dialect as Isoko is different from Uvwie dialect. ... These things are very very fluid.

Quite diverse I must say. But since most tribes have been there for a long time, population is supposed to be on the high, I read somewhere that every village in gwoza borno state speaks a different language .How did the plateau tribes survive the jihad
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2019
tongue
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by Nowenuse: 9:13pm On Dec 27, 2019
darfay:

Quite diverse I must say. But since most tribes have been there for a long time, population is supposed to be on the high, I read somewhere that every village in gwoza borno state speaks a different language .How did the plateau tribes survive the jihad

The tribes raided and enslaved each other heavily in the past. I think this was the major cause of low population.
Also, there is a very very strong culture of the kind of witchcraft I call 'destructive family witchcraft' in these areas and the early adoption of orthodox Christianity did not help matters.

Yes what you heard about Gwoza is very true. Gwoza is also a mountain too.

Plateau and northern Nasarawa tribes used the mountains to their advantage just like the highland Christians of Ethiopia & Eriterea who are surrounded by lowland muslims on every front but were never Islamized for a thousand years since all their neighbors became Islamized.
Danfodio's and Fulanis horses could not easily climb the Plateau while the natives who had the advantage from the top were heavily armed and skilled in bow & arrows.

2 Likes

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by MoIbrahim: 10:22pm On Dec 27, 2019
Thank you for saying exactly what I have said, with detail explanation for those who need to know.
Wehdon!

Nowenuse:

Kaduna is culturally divided into a Northern half and a Southern half.
The tribes on the South, the Hausa-fulanis on the north. You cannot use the senatorial districts to divide the state culturally because it is flawed.

Yes there are lots of Muslims in Southern Kaduna just as there are lots of Christians in Northern Kaduna too.

There are Hausa Muslim settlers and immigrants in Southern Kaduna and there are indigenous muslims from indigenous tribes in Southern Kaduna.

Likewise there are indigenous Hausa christians of Northern Kaduna as well as there are Igbo and other northern tribes christians who are immigrants in Northern Kaduna.

People tend not to understand these simple differences.
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by tck2000(m): 7:34am On Dec 28, 2019
helinues:
Whats the meaning of this title ' Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano '
I wonder o
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by XcelMan: 7:10pm On Dec 28, 2019
I follow the two cogent writer @ vanghnsangrey and @nowenuse.

The later was bias ..think his a Muslim.
The later was detailed with sound knowlegde of religion/cultural history of northern Nigeria.

Thanks @ nowenuse....I learn

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by Nowenuse: 8:30pm On Dec 28, 2019
Thank u @XcelMan, please correct your previous comment on this thread....

You were supposed to say THE FORMER when describing vanghnsangrey not the latter.
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by XcelMan: 9:28am On Dec 29, 2019
Nowenuse:
Thank u @XcelMan, please correct your previous comment on this thread....

You were supposed to say THE FORMER when describing vanghnsangrey not the latter.

*the former
Actually what I wanted to write

Thanks
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by RuggedSniper: 4:22am On Oct 30, 2020
gaetano:
Indigenous Hausa Christians of Kano mark Christmas. See how happy they are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpiX3ydBkiM

Source: daily trust YouTube page
WORD! Mainly SOUTHERN KANO... Kanawa Dabo!grin

1 Share

Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by ggood: 12:26am On Dec 16, 2020
nice people
Re: Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas by MoIbrahim: 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2021
Nowenuse:

Most Christians in Kebbi and Kaduna are not Hausa by tribe, unless you mean northern Kebbi and northern Kaduna.

Please there are native Muslim Hausas, even in southern Kaduna. Don't work with newspapers, do your research well,

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Pastor E.A Adeboye's Prophecies For 2018 / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? / This Madness On Marriage Has Got To Stop In The Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.