Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response (83753 Views)

EFCC Grills Emefiele Over Alleged $15b Foreign Debts, New Currency / Nigeria’s Response To Inflation Is Inadequate – World Bank / Nigeria’s Response To Coronavirus Remarkable – UN Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by adedayoa2(f): 12:11pm On Dec 31, 2019
Danwakae:

You are off points

Read those two communique abi letter again
so Nigeria should just accept the decision abi?

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 31, 2019
Danwakae:

You are also off point...

That's not the point of the OP
...go check again

For now the Nigerian Government has made the most sensible statement. Don't commit to any side and observe for now. The Government is on point...Don't forget to read up

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by omoluka: 12:12pm On Dec 31, 2019
gloriaunobi:
That's not my problems but how do I migrate to Canada
Do you have 14000 usd?
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Nukilia: 12:12pm On Dec 31, 2019
APCNig:

[s]
The Chair of ECOWAS is not which country is made the Chairman, the real Chair is which country can control others even without saying a word. When Nigeria closed its boarders didn't you see all ECOWAS countries crying including those very far from us and not sharing boarders with us?

When J.J. Jameh the Gambia ex-President lost election and refused to vacate his seat. All ECOWAS heads of States appealed to him, he ignored them. All ECOWAS heads of states deployed military personnel to Gambia, J.J. Jameh still ignored them. But when Major General Muhammadu Buhari deployed Nigeria's military jets to Gambia, the guy picked race and ran with his tail between his legs. That's what makes the ECOWAS Chair.

Can you recollect how many times Nigeria has given huge money as handouts to several ECOWAS countries? Uncountable times. Therefore, if Nigeria rejects this France introduced Eco currency, ECOWAS will have no choice than to reverse its decision, else, Buhari will starve all ECOWAS citizens to death with hunger and starvation and France and that baby President married to and sleeping with his grandma will not be able to help them[/s].

APC Propagandist! Stop the voodoo economics
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by SocialJustice: 12:12pm On Dec 31, 2019
Daviddson:
I'm not understanding. Does it mean the countries making up ECOWAS didn't vote on the adoption before the ECOWAS president or whoever was in charge, made a public declaration on it? This is quite silly.

And BTW Nigerias response is more mature - though both are still foolish responses, because it seems like it came as a shock to them.
France has even hijacked the currency.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Seventy7kings: 12:12pm On Dec 31, 2019
post=85374543:
Nigeria never told ECOWAS that they are interested in a single currency up till this moment.
That has been going on for years now.
So won't they reply them that they will get back at them?!
Nigeria’s naira is often seen as the likely anchor currency for ECOWAS, due largely to country’s sheer economic size and political importance.
This role would be akin to the one played by the German deutsche mark in the period leading to the introduction of the euro.
Our Conclusion : The Eco will clearly not be the panacea for West Africa’s myriad problems, including high levels of unemployment, especially among the burgeoning population of youth and the increasing numbers of the poor.
The lessons from the eurozone highlight continuing challenges among a group of highly developed countries with very strong institutions.
ECOWAS will do well to heed these lessons.
Also, efforts by member states to strengthen domestic macroeconomic frameworks are important.
Concerted efforts must be made to reduce the inordinate bureaucratic delays that severely constrain exports and imports at the border.
Launching the single regional currency, the “Eco,” by December 2019 is, at best, an expensive distraction that the people of West Africa can ill afford at this particular moment.
We stand with Nigeria.
Shame on the OP that brought this rubbish here, whatever his mission was and bigger shame on the illiterates typing jargons everywhere.
Lazy tins!

It is always good and refreshing to know that we still have reasonable and intelligent people like you guys on this forum.
Compared to the illiterates and pessimistic wailers that have nothing upstairs but just take side with anything that can make the country look bad.
Ireedeemable and pathetic tins they are.
No wonder Cownu called them whatever he addresed them has!
these days, I can see anger in your comments. Have you been divorced recently or what? cheesy take it easy, it is well.
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by KingGBsky(m): 12:13pm On Dec 31, 2019
APCNig:

So you expect Nigeria to just accept it? You must be dreaming. Nigerria is West Africa, no Nigeria, no West Africa. We closed our boarders and all West African countries are crying and weeping. So, we take the shoots and as the Chairman, we speak last. If we Nigeria do not accept it, ECOWAS will have no other choice than to also rescind its decision, else we will muzzle ECOWAS to death. And with Major General Muhammadu Buhari on the seat, Nigeria can kill the whole ECOWAS economically.

With all your epistle, is the Nigerian currency any better? Compare it with Ghana. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by rusher14: 12:13pm On Dec 31, 2019
dc23:
Essentially the decision to rename the CFA, Eco is to publicise the proposed currency and create a groundswell of support from ordinary people.

Yes, the CFA/Eco is still central banked in France, nothing has changed. What the francophone nations and Ghana are waiting for is the setting up of an Ecowas central bank. You would realise that Nigeria headquarters the group and currently chairs it. The current administraton is dragging it's feet, but in time there is every intention to sideline Abuja and make progress as was done in the Africa Free Trade Agreement signed recently.

Nigeria may be the most populous in Ecowas, but definitely not bigger that the collective union. A quick study in light of AFTA would show that Nigeria numbers pale in comparison to Cairo and three other capitals.

Now, to address, the politics of importation. Could you pause and think, before the border closure, WHAT EVER DID YOU BUY THAT WAS MADE IN GHANA, BENIN, TOGO or Mali? I suppose the answer is nothing. The reason us simple the multinationals like Guiness, Unilever, Cadbury and Nestle have factories in every country anyway and produce locally.

Closing the border only affects ordinary peasant businessmen importing or exporting traditional food stuffs like coconut, ugu, crayfish etc. And more seriously Nigerians who do business in Ghana who import machine and auto parts from Lagos to stock their shops. Indeed, many of them are very grateful that since Nigeria opened the border to exports only, Ghana and other nations didn't retaliate by refusing entry.

In conclusion, if you can't remember using a Ghana product before the closure, then it's not definitely not pinching anyone there.

Nigeria would definitely overcome this problem post Buhar administration when more educated and exposed leaders take the helm.

Happy New Year.

Kasapreko was imported from Ghana.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by EzeIgbo1: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2019
Nukilia:

Can you just stop misinforming people as if you know anything about economics grin cheesy

Can you just shut up and stop trolling me? Am I the one who made you flunk basic economics in school?

Nwokem shift

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by CSTR2: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2019
Don't join the ECO.
France is too small to be a colonial entity to Nigeria in this stage of our nationhood.

Even India and Brazil have outpaced the United Kingdom and Portugal and that should be our ambitions.

Nigeria should provide alternatives to France in West Africa. This is what we should be doing right now.
Provide a viable economic and military alternative to other West African nations.

At this stage of our nationhood, if France should threaten a West African country, they should be able to count on Nigeria to provide a military deterrence.

Unfortunately, years of bad,inept and shallow leadership has ensured that is not the case.

France is prancing about arrogantly in West Africa because Nigeria has left a vacuum and failed in her natural responsibilities.

They don't bother about France anymore in North Africa.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by sammyj: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2019
Yes there link to it. I read it on this forum
Stalwert:

It will be highly unfortunate if this is the case. The French remain the worst of colonial powers, they refuse to let go. Please you got links on this.
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Stalwert: 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2019
alamarmeen:

you can google why Nigeria will not accept the eco currency..
u can rephrase the question to reflect what u wish to know.. and also the are some video analysis on YouTube.
i think there is one this morning on allafrica.com

sammyj:
Yes there link to it. I read it on this forum

Will do
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Reptyle(m): 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2019
Built2last:
See your government.

Unfortunately nobody is reviewing anything they will tag along

Why are we comparing both countries? Do they have the same foreign or economic policies?

An international currency regime is not something to rush into. If Ghana I'd comfortable with it and Nigeria isn't, so be it. We call them "government" for a reason.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by EzeIgbo1: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2019
KingGBsky:

With all your epistle, is the Nigerian currency any better? Compare it with Ghana. Nonsense.

Oga na Ghana I dey type from and Naija currency strong pass their own hands down.

Removing zeros from s currency does not make it strong. It rather weakens its purchasing power. This Is why 50 cedis cannot even buy anything here compared to what 4k can buy which is the equivalent of 50 CEDIs in naira.

Don't mention cedi near naira again abeg you

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2019
So what , you ve got to compare the economies of the respective countries, cant be in a hurry to join ravaged war torn countries , you ve got to consider things like migration, balance of trade deficits, Ghana only made this comment because it will benefit, do you hear south Africa saying anything about this?

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Spatta: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2019
The Nigerian reply is one reason being a Nigerian under an illiterate is regurgitating, Actually, I detest the name Nigeria because it is according to myth a combination of Nigga and Area, a name imposed by the Colonial masters just like Yoruba, which was imposed on the Yoruba by the Hausa, meaning Bastard
You can tell that the government of Nigeria is clueless and unashamedly vision-less especially under this regime of a tyrant
Look at how Ghana responded intellectually
Compare it with how illiterates in the Despot's government responded to a serious economic advantage
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Awoo88: 12:18pm On Dec 31, 2019
mvem:
I think you should ask yourself similar question.
I am not the saying something I don't understand. Are you one those paid peanut every month to support any action of thus government?
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by dsoft321(m): 12:19pm On Dec 31, 2019
gloriaunobi:
That's not my problems but how do I migrate to Canada

Send me a WhatsApp message on 08118585841. I'll kindly help
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Dagger111(m): 12:19pm On Dec 31, 2019
Abeg wait o! Shey countries no fit just print money in excess and start sharing to it own citizens ni?
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by ScotMisile: 12:22pm On Dec 31, 2019
APCNig:

So you expect Nigeria to just accept it? You must be dreaming. Nigerria is West Africa, no Nigeria, no West Africa. We closed our boarders and all West African countries are crying and weeping. So, we take the shoots and as the Chairman, we speak last. If we Nigeria do not accept it, ECOWAS will have no other choice than to also rescind its decision, else we will muzzle ECOWAS to death. And with Major General Muhammadu Buhari on the seat, Nigeria can kill the whole ECOWAS economically.

Omo, see boasting?? ?...
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by mfm04622: 12:22pm On Dec 31, 2019
Why jump?

The whole ECOWAS is planning a common currency to be called ECO. There are conditions in place for countries to join the common currency. Only 2 countries have met the condition. Nigeria is the richest country in the ECOWAS. So, Nigeria will certainly bankroll the common currency. So you expect Nigeria to jump and join the CFA currency when only 2 countries have met the conditions?
Sanusi gave an example when he was still the CBN Governor. He said it is like asking Dangote and a poor man to have a joint account. Of course the poor man want to account immediately. However, Dangote will like to discuss and agree rules beforehand so that the poor man will not just be issuing checks to the account. Nigeria is the rich man in this case. It is not in our Interest to rush into the common currency

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by EzeIgbo1: 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2019
Spatta:
The Nigerian reply is one reason being a Nigerian under an illiterate is regurgitating, Actually, I detest the name Nigeria because it is according to myth a combination of Nigga and Area, a name imposed by the Colonial masters just like Yoruba, which was imposed on the Yoruba by the Hausa, meaning Bastard
You can tell that the government of Nigeria is clueless and unashamedly vision-less especially under this regime of a tyrant
Look at how Ghana responded intellectually
Compare it with how illiterates in the Despot's government responded to a serious economic advantage

Big grammar is not intelligence. Fewer words show intelligence a lot of times.

It Is your type people like Chris Okotie and Patrick Obiahagbon (or what is that is name) would have as praise singers because you like epistles loaded with emptiness.

The Ghanaian response was rubbish and shows Ghana is just a yes sir country who will even say yes to the devil because they are in dire straights economically right now.

The Naija response was gbaski. Short and sweet Is what CEOs call it in corporate world.

When you know your strength you say fewer words.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Biodun556(m): 12:25pm On Dec 31, 2019
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Dagrace01(m): 12:25pm On Dec 31, 2019
According to the news i read here on Nairaland it was believed that France exempted us fro the Eco of a thing. It will only be dumb to allow an Eurrpean country to dictate the kinda currency we use in West Africa for us, that's modern colonization.. Let those that are inferior and vulnerable to France use the currency, I wonder what Ecowas is thinking, this is a big slap to the face of West Africa. Something they've been deliberating for years, to now allow France to hijack it shows how insensible Ecowas is.

8 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by sammyj: 12:26pm On Dec 31, 2019
Kindly search using the topic - Why France Kidnapped West Africa’s Eco Currency
Stalwert:

Will do
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Destroyerofyeeb: 12:26pm On Dec 31, 2019
Stop wasting your time, Nigerians are ignorant as fvck.
EzeIgbo1:

Oga na Ghana I dey type from and Naija currency strong pass their own hands down.

Removing zeros from s currency does not make it strong. It rather weakens its purchasing power. This Is why 50 cedis cannot even buy anything here compared to what 4k can buy which is the equivalent of 50 CEDIs in naira.

Don't mention cedi near naira again abeg you

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by KingGBsky(m): 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
post=85374543:
Nigeria never told ECOWAS that they are interested in a single currency up till this moment.
That has been going on for years now.
So won't they reply them that they will get back at them?!
Nigeria’s naira is often seen as the likely anchor currency for ECOWAS, due largely to country’s sheer economic size and political importance.
This role would be akin to the one played by the German deutsche mark in the period leading to the introduction of the euro.
Our Conclusion : The Eco will clearly not be the panacea for West Africa’s myriad problems, including high levels of unemployment, especially among the burgeoning population of youth and the increasing numbers of the poor.
The lessons from the eurozone highlight continuing challenges among a group of highly developed countries with very strong institutions.
ECOWAS will do well to heed these lessons.
Also, efforts by member states to strengthen domestic macroeconomic frameworks are important.
Concerted efforts must be made to reduce the inordinate bureaucratic delays that severely constrain exports and imports at the border.
Launching the single regional currency, the “Eco,” by December 2019 is, at best, an expensive distraction that the people of West Africa can ill afford at this particular moment.
We stand with Nigeria.
Shame on the OP that brought this rubbish here, whatever his mission was and bigger shame on the illiterates typing jargons everywhere.
Lazy tins!

It is always good and refreshing to know that we still have reasonable and intelligent people like you guys on this forum.
Compared to the illiterates and pessimistic wailers that have nothing upstairs but just take side with anything that can make the country look bad.
Ireedeemable and pathetic tins they are.
No wonder Cownu called them whatever he addresed them has!

The problem I have with people like you is that if Buhari accepts the eco currency tomorrow you will start praising him that it’s the best decision. Buhari stooge. A president that has not have even a single policy work since he became president.
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Deepthoughts: 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
APCNig:

people like you are the ones deceiving buhari,we need other countries just as they need us, Nigeria closed her borders it certainly affected the other countries,now they have seen the effect of over dependency on Nigeria n are adopting new strategies to counter Nigeria n you are here bragging,France is surely behind the be move to preempt Nigeria,if Ghana,siera Leone, Liberia,Gambia is finally convinced n agree to join the Eco unified currency we might be in for trouble so don't just brag,call on buhari be to get our best brains think fast n take the appropriate decision.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by Nukilia: 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
EzeIgbo1:

Removing zeros from s currency does not make it strong. It rather weakens its purchasing power. This Is why 50 cedis cannot even buy anything here compared to what 4k can buy which is the equivalent of 50 CEDIs in naira.Don't mention cedi near naira again abeg you

Do not compare a working nation like Ghana with Nigeria. When talking about purchasing power of our money, it is true you might buy lots of things with Naira here in Nigeria which is not the case in Ghana. The same applies to the UK and USA. It would be wrong for you to misinform folks in Nigeria about the Ghanaian CEDI's.
Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by mvem(m): 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
Awoo88:

I am not the saying something I don't understand. Are you one those paid peanut every month to support any action of thus government?
see why you should ask yourself the question
1. You haven't tabled anything concrete
2. I am non partisan and don't support who so ever but it doesn't cloud my judgement on both internal and international issues
3. You can see your sentiments. You feel my comments are in support of the present government therefore I am being paid by them....you are obviously not smart
Critique the issue with points...I don't care if na buhari or no buhari and stop having wrong insinuation for wrongly perceiving things your way

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS New Currency - Compare Ghana's Response To Nigeria's Response by EzeIgbo1: 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
Destroyerofyeeb:
Stop wasting your time, Nigerians are ignorant as fvck.

My brother if to say that guy dey near me talk that thing wey he talk I swear down I for slap am like 4 times. Nonsense

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Adeosun: 55% Of Nigeria’s VAT Is From Lagos / Mohammed Atiku Abubakar Shares His Coronavirus Experience / COVID-19: 3 Of Abba Kyari's Staff Test Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.