Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off (69195 Views)

Nigeria Issues Travel Advisory To Nigerians Going To US, Europe / Nigerians Going To Cape Breton University. / FAAN Closes MMIA Departure Drop Off Zone Temporarily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Basher8583: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2020
Typhoonsbane:
I don’t understand how Nigerians,especially youths find it easy to run to another mans country and just leave everything behind,the first and the only time I was in the US all I could think of was going back home.

I swear... I share your views
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by nextstep(m): 6:29pm On Jan 03, 2020
I couldn't help but notice:

After a sustained period of growth between 2011 and 2015, the number of Nigerian visitors to the US started to plateau in 2016 until the big drop-off last year.
The dip in Nigerian visitors to the US followed a string of visa clampdown measures by the Trump administration.

The growth in visitors slowed with recession after Buhari in 2015, then plateaued in 2016, before dropping.
Trump didn't become president until January 2017, so how else would you explain the extreme change from growing, to the sudden stop in growth in 2015? Buhari's recession. Trump's policies and attitude also made things worse, as Nigerians started going to other countries, but I imagine the total number of Nigerians going abroad is probably not changed, just that US is less welcoming.

This is from my own analysis of the data.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Zooposki(f): 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Try Canada, Australia...even the UK. cheesy

Fire don burn Australia finish. Where you wan stay?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by philip0906(m): 6:37pm On Jan 03, 2020
nextstep:
I couldn't help but notice:

The slowdown started with recession after Buhari in 2015, then plateaued in2016, before dropping. Trump didn't become president until January 2017. Sure Trump's policies added to it, but I really feel the dip started before him.

This is from my own analysis of the data.
Well, if we go by that analysis, what do you say about the surge in Nigerians applying for Canadian PR, Australian Residency or choosing to study in less expensive countries like Germany?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Basher8583: 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2020
twosquare:
Are you serious? Na wa o. Which area can you suggest migrating to apart from the US?

Must you migrate.
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by nextstep(m): 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2020
philip0906:

Well, if we go by that analysis, what do you say about the surge in Nigerians applying for Canadian PR, Australian Residency or choosing to study in less expensive countries like Germany?

It's true, you're right. I edited my comment earlier to reflect that since the US is less welcoming, Nigerians are going elsewhere. But that change in slope in 2015 says a lot about the recession in our economy, than about Trump's policies. Both are working in tandem, it would appear; see the graph from my original comment.

Also painful to see: we basically gave the US economy $514 million (half a billion dollars). If only we could improve our schools so the money circulates here. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by sharpwriter(m): 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2020
Typhoonsbane:
I don’t understand how Nigerians,especially youths find it easy to run to another mans country and just leave everything behind,the first and the only time I was in the US all I could think of was going back home.

Lol... The magic of the beauty there no catch you to stay back and forget home like in the fairy tales? wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by philip0906(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2020
nextstep:

It's true, you're right. I edited my comment earlier to reflect that since the US is less welcoming, Nigerians are going elsewhere. But that change in slope in 2015 says a lot about the recession in our economy, than about Trump's policies. Both are working in tandem, it would appear; see the graph from my original comment.
Yes I saw the graph. But I assume it's specific to the USA and doesn't factor migration to other countries. So a dip in migration to the USA might mean an upsurge in migration to other countries (Canada, Australia etc).

If that is the case, we can't attribute it to "the recession".

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by truthsayer2(m): 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
czarina:
It's Sir Fergie on the beat! Well-done Oga!

Check my profile. You may need our services
massage queen i greet oo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by nextstep(m): 6:54pm On Jan 03, 2020
philip0906:

Yes I saw the graph. But I assume it's specific to the USA and doesn't factor migration to other countries. So a dip in migration to the USA might mean an upsurge in migration to other countries (Canada, Australia etc).

If that is the case, we can't attribute it to "the recession".

The dip in 2018, absolutely, I agree we can attribute it to upsurge to other countries.

The flatline in growth, in 2015, coincides with the recession - especially since there was no policy change by the US until 2018.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by pacespot(m): 7:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
Nigerians should stay put in their country. If you can survive Nigeria to raise enough money to travel to USA, then you don't need to leave Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Useku(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

One of Africa's most underated writer Ngugi Wa' Thiong O rightly said that 'Time Changes Everything'.
The next Democrat's administration after Trumps' will open up the gates to USA.

Someday in the future, Nigerian Passport holders will be given Visa-on-arrival privileges to the USA.

But it looks like Davido could not pay the reciprocity fee for ChefChi this one she wasn't given a visa.

Even though I don't like your persona, I can't deny the fact that I learn from your versatile nature, from strength of material to very old novelists to society people and stuffs

You Sabi abeg

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by princetom1(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03, 2020
BedLam:
I honestly don't know what people do in the USA if not for seeking employment and business.
I find it revolting that people go there for holidays or anything other than economic gains. The world has developed to a point
where most things available elsewhere in the world aren't in the USA. There are now better living in Asia, Europe and middle east than you could find in the USA. Even south American countries are coming up.

Meanwhile WAKANOW is a fraudulent establishment, stay away from them!

Lest see, wen u just come from a foreign trip, tell ur people u are coming from Mongolia... The kind of look they will look and when u tell them u just coming from America... He he he

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Seunpaul01(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2020
That's why most of them are hating on Trump and rooting for his removal.

Before they ll be like, I want to go and have my child in the USA.

Ko si oun to jo mo rara grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by twosquare(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2020
Basher8583:

Must you migrate.
Just for better prospects. If I were desperate, I would have some 10, 9 years ago, but I feel it is the right time to give it a try just for the future. Nigeria may turn out good, but before then, I need something better. If you can't offer me something good, won't I go somewhere else? There are a lot of folks out there with their postgraduate degrees that are walking the streets. Sorry, if God says I will be out there, I will be. Migration is good. Give it a try if you have the ability.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by guru90: 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2020
My spirit of going to USA died off since they removed Nig from USA DV Visa lottery.

So, let them stop complaining because am already porting to GERMANY.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by linearity: 7:07pm On Jan 03, 2020
itsme01:
cool

when they dont wana respect us ... Average Nigerians would raise atleast 10k USD on their own to travel something punk ass Americans cant raise without loan(they borrow for Phone{contracts} borrow for car and house{mortgage}), Nigerians would learn a trade, and still go for professional certication and if need be further thier studies through sweat and blood yet some scumbarg Trump thinks we are unproductive or leeches

if you see how UAE respects naija people, fish/ meat market in sharjah park they speak little nigerian major language to attract customers same as Cab drivers, and Gold solk Dubai, even radio stations jam Naija songs and they have African Music fest for Naija...

UK felt like Gods and started chasin people with student Visa out after studies.. but now with brexit in sight they are offering better visa package

last last money for US visa can be invested in a small shops anywhere and make good returns retailing simple products

Ironically the above stats & survey is limited to the number of people who were success at getting a visa and then traveling to the US.

Nigerians are still investing huge money in applying for visa, only to get denied. I think the revenue from visa application will see an uptick. At least on a single day, an average Nigerian have a better odd at getting a US visa than winning a jackpot at Naijabet, but despite the odds, people still play Naijabet hoping that, “their fortune would be different” than that of others....same with mindset is taken into visa applications.
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by PerseDew(f): 7:09pm On Jan 03, 2020
itsme01:

Aunty Dubai is tax free... so please comapare New York cab rate to that of Dubai, Compare New york Apartment with Price of Dubai, Compare Newyork Subway to Dubai Metro.... and please for God sake compare food and shopping

convert your answer to naira and tell us the truth

Uncle, my point in my post is, Nigerians should also tell how expensive a ticket to the Burj Khalifa or Safari Tours are and how the sun there is something else. If for instance I want to go, I will want to experience such things not to shop cos from the wares I have seen bought in Dubai and the pics taken or videos made in some shops in Dubai, for the most part, Dubai does me like Balogun market and Aba market put together. So the tax free haven that it is, is of no use to me.

Pls note I am not down grading them, I just think as long as shopping goes, what I want and what I can afford in Dubai, is available here and at a lower price.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by philip0906(m): 7:10pm On Jan 03, 2020
nextstep:

The dip in 2018, absolutely, I agree we can attribute it to upsurge to other countries.

The flatline in growth, in 2015, coincides with the recession - especially since there was no policy change by the US until 2018.
Valid!
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by grandstar(m): 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2020
Majority of those denied visas were going to overstay if we want to face the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Jaqenhghar: 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2020
BedLam:
I honestly don't know what people do in the USA if not for seeking employment and business.
I find it revolting that people go there for holidays or anything other than economic gains. The world has developed to a point
where most things available elsewhere in the world aren't in the USA. There are now better living in Asia, Europe and middle east than you could find in the USA. Even south American countries are coming up.

Meanwhile WAKANOW is a fraudulent establishment, stay away from them!
Why is it revolting you? Is it your money?
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by wizdomnzube(m): 7:47pm On Jan 03, 2020
Me I'm planning of leaving Nigeria this year oh, abeg which country sure pass for man pikin to go hustle make him parents proud? Help a brother here with legit and reasonable suggestions abeg smiley
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by lonelydora: 7:51pm On Jan 03, 2020
Arkmanbuddy:

It's been a while, COZA-rian!

Yes o! Why are you not in COZA 12 Days of Glory (12DG)?
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by owila4luv(m): 8:07pm On Jan 03, 2020
i want to go ooo just dat the process no easy like before again
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Nerdnextdoor: 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2020
grin grin grin grin
Asquare84:
It evidence that buhari has turned the Fortune of Nigerian around and such no need to travel to America
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by kweensheba: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2020
One fact for sure is Trumph administration was not kind to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by don4real18(m): 8:16pm On Jan 03, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:
It didn't drop, their embassy just rejected everyone. grin
They just dampened my spirit when they rejected me last year. After I spent a lot grin
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by litaninja(m): 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2020
It's not by choice.
Nigerians are being denied visas.
Stop with the propaganda.
Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by RaptorX: 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2020
Stay in your country and fix it, the mood in most Western countries are now heavily anti-immigration.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians going to US reduce sharply, largest global drop-off by Sluacoast(m): 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2020
pacespot:
Nigerians should stay put in their country. If you can survive Nigeria to raise enough money to travel to USA, then you don't need to leave Nigeria.
Yeah raising the money is not the issue. How fast can that money yield profit for you. For example you indulge into � with it. The rewards are not encouraging compare to someone who visited a civilize country. I don't know if you grab my explanation. Well blame your corrupt administration

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Most Underdeveloped State Capitals In Nigeria / 18 Passengers Die In Peace Mass Transit Accident / The Bakare Family: Canada To Deport Nigerian Family, The Bakares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.