Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (43213 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help / Tenants In My Newly Acquired Building Are Stealing Building Materials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by IdrisE(m): 3:06pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

Its a storey building, and they both stay down

hahahahahaha! This is funny sha o. But try renovations nah. Maybe start from removing the doors, then wait for some times and also Remove the gate lock.
I mean, Just try something man.
Every situation always have a solution
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
Start bringing Fulani herdsmen into the house,hehehe just kidding
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by ceasare: 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
Tenancy law in Lagos need to change ASAP
This rubbish is now getting out of hand walai.
Even if d court gives judgement in favor of the
Landlord after 10yrs u think u will be able to recover
Your rents when the tenant will sneak out over night
And there is no databases to know where he goes to
Rent another house and most probably will pull same
Stunt.
Some people have lived in Lagos for 10yrs and they
Ve only paid cumulative of 2yrs rent yet they want
God to bless their hustle it's a lie karma will come visiting

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by lilbarracuda(m): 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
meum:
Remove the roof. Call it renovation. grin

and you will want to make heaven like this ooo

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
Hello good friends of NL please if you all remembered my previous other posts? Looking for a job and Accommodation! please, one driving company in Okota Lagos asked me to come and please since I have an accommodation problem please I really need someone to accommodate me for just 1/2 weeks please so that I can quickly apply for the job and once I start I will move out immediately please�� I really want to work to feed my kids, please. Abeg anyone living in Okota, Cele express or around and close to Okota Lagos should please help a brother for accommodation for 1/2 weeks I can sleep anywhere please for the sake of my kids please��� and if you have forgotten my job-seeking post read click the link below to read please I'm still the one, please

https://www.nairaland.com/5589449/pls-read-sake-god-2kids

Thanks and God bless you Amen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Ofure111(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
go Traditional.live
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by kenfarm(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
Unfortunately case in court and yu can not do otherwise until court final judgement is out grin. U made a huge mistake by taking the case to court. Some tenant fit claim landlord house oh cheesy no b who first report case dey always wine oh grin just be cool till then

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Mylovelife: 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

Remove the windows
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SocialJustice: 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:
I will make this as short as possible

There is this tenant that we gave quit notice since 2018 because of inability to pay the house rent. Up till now he has not moved out, we handled the case legally and its still in court till now.

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

Now there is another tenant that is very close to the man's wife, she did not pay 2019 rent and she was given quit notice 6 months ago to leave before December 31st, up till now, nothing has happened, we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

Please what can we do concerning the two tenant situations?

The house is situated in Lagos. Ayobo area to be specific
If the property is yours. Try creating a business name then sell the property to the business. Acting through your business name now, give a fresh quit notice.

Learn all the mistakes that has made this case last 3 years in court and correct them with the new notice. Consult a lawyer on this option.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SmileDance(f): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
PointZerom:

You didn't tell us the tenant's side of the story.
Something must have made him or her not to pack out by now.
mad ooo
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by CuriousX: 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

Remove the windows and doors. Cut the light. Na renovation. I hate bullshit.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by 1759ademola(m): 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
I wouldn't judge those tenants. God knows all illegal fees you've added to the rent when you were taking them.
And the tenants will be like 'Se maga niwa ni'
Many landlords treat tenants as slaves.
Anyways, CALL A PLUMBER TO DISCONNECT THEIR TOILET FROM THE SOAK AWAY.
I don't want to suggest the next one that will evict them in minutes because of some wicked landlords around.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Tundex122(m): 3:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
Please how do I post on nairaland. am new here
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Mylovelife: 3:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mostdetailed:
You need to Know the court will not only give you possession of your building but you will be getting every denari the tenants have stayed in arrears.
From the moment their rent expired they became tresspassers to that/those room(s) they occupy and will pay every dime. PLEASE DONT MIND THE MISCONCEPTION THAT THEY ARE LIVING FOR FREE, THEY AINT. By the time the court gives judgement, apply to execute the judgement for unpaid rents.

Dont you think they can move out before the court finalizes everything thereby not paying for past years.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by fkj950ax(m): 3:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:
I will make this as short as possible

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

Please what can we do concerning the two tenant situations?

Make sure your lawyer asks for mesne profit as part of the brief.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by millionboi2: 3:16pm On Jan 08, 2020
Enwhen:

As long as u have taken them to court don't try anything that they can use against u before the next hearing date ....better exercise patient, when people are complaining about our judicial system many will not understand until they fall for it... If u want to speed up that case , u will have to spend more than the both are paying...I don't know how much they pay a year....when u see People like SOWORE pushing for their trial against govt , u should know that its money that is speaking ....if u don't mind spend the money to get them out quickly and start looking for it else wait , because any breach , will count against u...thank God it's NL , the court will not see this...Lawyers = Police in Nigeria.
is dsame na......money money and money
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Doyenro23(m): 3:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
all you need is keep praying once had a similar issues like this last year . we had a tenant that overstayed for 4yrs took him to high court in igbosere, Lagos all was a trail no judgement even after judgement no quick action you can't force a tenant out with assaults or force on Lagos if you do brother na jail the landlord they use play omo the things was terrific lost my dad Durring this case of 4yrs bro's Las Las dey pack commot absconding with there Lord for midnight.. I would advice you to take them to court if it's possible for you to tip the judge for judgement do it ✔️✔️✔️
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Jaqenhghar: 3:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
armadeo:
Some tenants are evil joor.

Imagine. What if the landlords means of lively good is that rent.

Guy better just disconnect light and water first. Today sef not tomorrow.

Next thing lock gate anyhow.

Treat them.like trapped animals. They can quarrel and shout but have no mercy cos they don't have mercy on you
The annoying thing is how much are the landlords making? People think because you are a landlord you are swimming in money. The one million naira rent tenants think is one huge money wont even foot the bill of a thorough rennovation. Many landlords dont get anything. That's why they sell the property off after awhile

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by themonk(m): 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mostdetailed:
You need to Know the court will not only give you possession of your building but you will be getting every denari the tenants have stayed in arrears.
From the moment their rent expired they became tresspassers to that/those room(s) they occupy and will pay every dime. PLEASE DONT MIND THE MISCONCEPTION THAT THEY ARE LIVING FOR FREE, THEY AINT. By the time the court gives judgement, apply to execute the judgement for unpaid rents.
The problem is not the Judgement, the problem is the execution. If they tell the court they don’t have money will the court kill them?

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by PointZerom: 3:21pm On Jan 08, 2020
SmileDance:
mad ooo

I don't know what you meant by "mad ooo".

Look, some house owners are wicked just like some tenants.

I know of a tenant that had an agreement with his Landlord to carry out some repair works in the house, the Landlord later gave him notice to quit without repaying him the money he spent on the repairs. The guy refused to pack out and stayed there for good two years which is equivalent of the money he spent on the repair works.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by offionginyang2: 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
It all depends on what the court is saying and arguments of the tenants.

Has the court given them time to vacate? What are the tenants saying? Are you sure your Lawyer is not swindling you? Did you violate any agreement?
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by GoodFaith: 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2020
Perfecttouchade:
all these wicked tenants Sha, they know our law system when it comes to things like this ain't effective... disconnect their electricity first, the only problem there is that nothing concern NEPA, except you are using prepaid, disconnect their water supply as well..they have over stayed sef try this out and see how long they can go without these things
Yoi need the space by tomorrow to move in

If they fail to move move people from street to start living in the flat with they
10 people
kill goat in the living that the people will cook
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by 12345baba(m): 3:26pm On Jan 08, 2020
Just wait till rainy season, carry carpenter go there for night make he loose all the roof , claim u want to renovate. Na them go pack by themselves
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by MoxxxxO123(m): 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2020
When the court proceedings is made apply for "execute judgement", they are not living there free of charge,their arrears will be accumulated and settled to you guys. Since it's legal it's the best option
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by dominique(f): 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2020
This nonsense is getting rampant amongst Lagos tenants. If you're a property owner and have tenants that pay as at when due, you don't know what God has done for you. There is a block of four 2-bedroom flats in my area where none of the tenant's pay rent. The landlord is aged and doesn't have the energy to pursue tenants. It's his older son that is now going back and forth serving quit notice to them all. I was so surprised when I heard that these tenants owe rent because they look pretty well-to-do with their kids going to the high end private schools in the area. So their decision not to pay rent was purely intentional because they know the landlord couldn't go after them. Lagos tenants are making the idea of building houses for rent very unappealing

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by lympy: 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
Except your lawyer doesn't know what he or she is doing, it takes 6-8 months to see such cases through to judgement at most one year. Even if the case prolongs, if judgement is in your favour, tenant should be made to pay mense profit also giving you powers to serve notice and eject. Have right to auction any property you find during ejection to recover your rent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
my brother go and renovate your house, remove roof, buy one or two tipper of sand, mold 50 block, remove glass, remove the burglary.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by DEBJOCH1(m): 3:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
TENANTS ARE KINGS IN LAGOS THAT SHOULD NOT BE TREATED ANY HOW, COME TO THINK OF IT, WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE JUST GIVING QUIT NOTICE TO EVERY ONE IN YOUR HOUSE, DONT YOU GUYS THINK THE FAULT IS FROM YOU PEOPLE. INFACT GOD BLESS FORMER GOVERNOR RAJI FASHOLA FOR GIVING TENANTS A SAY IN LAGOS STATE. I REMEMBERED IN THOSE YEYE DAYS WHEN IF A TENANT OWES A LANDLORD FOR JUST ONE MONTH, THE NEXT DAY LANDLORD WILL GO AND ARRANGE AREA TOUTS TO MOVE TENANTS LOAD TO THE STREET. BUT NOW ADAYS GREEDY LAGOS LANDLORDS ARE NOW PAYING FOR THEIR SIN. AS IT NOW, THERE IS LITTLE OR NOTHING YOU CAN THAN TO WAIT FOR THE COURT TO DECIDE. IF YOU WANT TO EXERCISE FORCE NOW ESPECIAKLY NOW THAT THE CASE IS STILL IN COURT, THE TENANT MAY CLAIM DAMAGE AND YOU MUST SURELY PAY. NOW THAT THE COURT VERDICT IS NOT FAVORING YOU, SO THE JUDICIARY SYSTEM IN NIGERIA IS NOW A POOR SYSTEM?
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
disconnect the light in their rooms, you can also use some tenants against them!
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by PointZerom: 3:34pm On Jan 08, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

The annoying thing is how much are the landlords making. People thinl because you are a landlord you are swimming in money. The one million naira rent tenants think is one huge money wont even foot the bill of a thorough rennovation. Many landlords dont get anything. Thays why they sell the prolerty off after awhile

Lies.

Do you renovate your building every year? 99% of Lagos landlords don't renovate their houses and when the tenants complain they'll say "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO STAY, PLS PACK OUT".

Some will tell the tenants to carry out the repair works but they won't refund the tenants.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Reference(m): 3:34pm On Jan 08, 2020
This is what I continually say. Nigerians of all classes and creed suffering the consequences of their ignirance, destructive acts and indolence.

In other climes this is a simple, civil, judicial matter that can be sorted out in a couple of hours but in Nigeria since we have not taken the time to build our institutions, to professionslise our criminal justice system, to strengthen the judiciary while widening and deepenibg their reach and operations, we will continue to suffer these social upheavals.

The battles in other societies is for good governance, proper governance, equity, justice, institutional building, the distribution of power right down to the bottom of society and the common man., to give him a voice. Folks there support the bottom of society not the top.

Here we battle for the divisive influences of tribe and religion. Fight for the leadership to have more power to undermine institutions and turn democracies to monarchies. Fight for the constant imbalance in power in favour of a few against the needs of the many.

So we find ourselves asking silly questions for societal problems we cause ourselves ultimately.
So I have no answers anymore for such problems because quite frankly there are none.
Whatever one tries to advice will be subject to the kind of sentiment we love.

Where is the tenant from, where is the lanlord from, what place of worship are both from. What poltical party does his legal team represent, etc. Endless permutations, endless sentimental hurdles. No clear path to justice.

I bet the landlord has witnessed the undermining of institutions at all levels of government and society and had supported various acts out of sentiment. Why should such seek to enjoy a solution where there is none.

In developed climes even government can be charged to court by citizens who seek their rights by law. Here you better ask the tenant who his uncle is, if not you the lanlord may end up in jail and your house appropriated or demolished.

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by iamdref: 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2020
Report them to koko Zaria or MC oluomo or better still Auxiliary for Ibadan

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.