Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,738 members, 7,813,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (43191 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help / Tenants In My Newly Acquired Building Are Stealing Building Materials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Doyenro23(m): 6:20pm On Jan 08, 2020
I notices majorities commenting on this topic don't understand how things work btw Land lord and tenant most especially in a state like Lagos . You don't threaten tenant or assault them physically because of rent because if you do oboy na jail and the court won't take it likely with you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by chukwugoziegi: 6:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
Doyenro23:
I notices majorities commenting on this topic don't understand how things work btw Land lord and tenant most especially in a state like Lagos . You don't threaten tenant or assault them physically because of rent because if you do oboy na jail and the court won't take it likely with you

FACT!
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by chukwugoziegi: 6:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
EASYGURU:
First thing you do is arrange a carpenter, arrange with one bricklayer arrange with one iron bender there after, very early in the morning one day go to the house with the carpenter to remove all mosquito net instruct the carpenter to remove all the doors in the house instruct the person in charge of alumaco to remove all the sliding windows instruct the iron bender to remove all the burglary proof instruct a painter to scratch the wall and start repairing the house and see if he or she won't leave your house also instruct an electrician to rewire the whole house by removing the whole wire.

grin grin grin grin grin
You're so Evil!
But you know removing the door is illegal?
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by colestephan86: 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
Shibaraba:
Boiled egg, palm oil, black calabash.. ..

That's your solution
What u should have done is to go to court n request a court order , that's all u need.
Or go the other way, have police take the picture of the place , n in their presence remove the windows.
There is an antidote for every mad man.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by smyo(m): 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
Oya comot there roof, come and thank me leta

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome!
Since the case is in court don't do anything stupid. I will respond to you soon. I am in an areas where I can type properly. I will revert l
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:26pm On Jan 08, 2020
SocialJustice:
If the property is yours. Try creating a business name then sell the property to the business. Acting through your business name now, give a fresh quit notice.

Learn all the mistakes that has made this case last 3 years in court and correct them with the new notice. Consult a lawyer on this option.
Hmmmmm! This is a nice idea.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mylovelife:

Dont you think they can move out before the court finalizes everything thereby not paying for past years.
They will pay if they reside in the same state but if the tenant move to another state, it's extremely difficult to get your money.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Bbbwings: 7:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
meum:
Remove the roof. Call it renovation. grin
airminem:
grin

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:30pm On Jan 08, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

The annoying thing is how much are the landlords making. People think because you are a landlord you are swimming in money. The one million naira rent tenants think is one huge money wont even foot the bill of a thorough rennovation. Many landlords dont get anything. That's why they sell the property off after awhile
Very true.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
themonk:
The problem is not the Judgement, the problem is the execution. If they tell the court they don’t have money will the court kill them?
if they get "consent" judgement=easy the tenant out tactically.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:34pm On Jan 08, 2020
lympy:
Except your lawyer doesn't know what he or she is doing, it takes 6-8 months to see such cases through to judgement at most one year. Even if the case prolongs, if judgement is in your favour, tenant should be made to pay mense profit also giving you powers to serve notice and eject. Have right to auction any property you find during ejection to recover your rent.

My thoughts exactly. The lawyer probably doesn't know his onions. I was referred to one by a NLer I regretted using the lawyer refer by the person on this forum.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
mistijude:
Is this how you guys are given out your property free of charge all in the name of judicial system? Tenants are something else these days.If you give them chance,they will become your landlord and turn you to tenant in your own house.As big as my father had house is,even though he don't stay at home,we refused to rent it out because of all these crazy tenants.
You refuse to rent it out? Your choice anyway.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
dhejykeane:
Lagos state mediation dont allow this much nonsense if you use their lawyers and follow the right process, they would be given a notice duration and if tenant refuses to leave their property would be evicted and tenant would need to bail his belongings at their office
Really? If I had k own this I would have not use the court. Can you please recommend two for me in Lagos mainland?
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by hunkydory(m): 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
emmabest2000:
Help the first trouble tenant pay for a new cheap house somewhere else secretly grin

cheesy
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:43pm On Jan 08, 2020
Imustreturn:
Go to any local government in Lagos and ask for the office where they complain about tenant and landlord. If possible go to the LGA at ikotun.
2 weeks them go park out
I read somewhere here some one used these method and it took 7 months.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by centboy123456(m): 7:45pm On Jan 08, 2020
positivelord:

continue with the legal process...I can assure you they are NOT staying there free...they will still pay for every single day they spent while the case
is on, trust me...you guys just need a GOOD lawyer

lol that a lie they won't pay anything
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by centboy123456(m): 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
Toyeen85:
All this wicked Lagos tenants that is how one idiot stayed in our house for 4 years without paying a kobo, may God punish him wherever he is.

lol waiting or na come do them na how they come tell park cumhot 4 d hus
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
alabo1:

Yes after the judgement you will be able to evict them legally by force if need be. Collecting your arrears is another story altogether.
Tell me the story of collecting arrears.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 7:51pm On Jan 08, 2020
emmanuelpopson:

i tell u.. d case going to court was a big mistake.. he could have used the Lagos state mediation center or the humans right department of the police.. these two will handle the erring tenants and there rents and months given will not lapse a day before they move out..
im a living witness of this scenario. my late dads house tenants were stubborn but these people handled them squarely..
Human rights department of the police? What year was this? Mediation center yes, Police. No! When I had same issue the police told me it was a civil matter hence the reason I asked what year.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by AshipaEk0: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:
I will make this as short as possible

There is this tenant that we gave quit notice since 2018 because of inability to pay the house rent. Up till now he has not moved out, we handled the case legally and its still in court till now.

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

Now there is another tenant that is very close to the man's wife, she did not pay 2019 rent and she was given quit notice 6 months ago to leave before December 31st, up till now, nothing has happened, we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

Please what can we do concerning the two tenant situations?

The house is situated in Lagos. Ayobo area to be specific

Start investigation about their personal information, where they work, where they have bank accounts etc.

They aren't staying rent free, contrary to the general idea most people have. When you eventually get the judgement, go hard against them to execute it, get every penny.

Better still if they have movable things like cars, go against those too, not so much for the money but to drive home the point they are not wise.

Employ a lawyer or firm that's willing to do this execution for you to your specifications. Even some court sheriffs will do it for you. Na money.

Meanwhile, there's ways to make the place uncomfortable for them sha, e just depend on how much craze you get. Too easy sef. If you know, you know.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
Doyenro23:
Over 80% of them are ignorant and do not know the Lagos Tenancy Law plus they haven't experienced it first hand.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by SMJay: 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
AshipaEk0:

Start investigation about their personal information, where they work, where they have bank accounts etc.

They aren't staying rent free, contrary to the general idea most people have. When you eventually get the judgement, go hard against them to execute it, get every penny.

Better still if they have movable things like cars, go against those too, not so much for the money but to drive home the point they are not wise.

Employ a lawyer or firm that's willing to do this execution for you to your specifications. Even some court sheriffs will do it for you. Na money.

Meanwhile, there's ways to make the place uncomfortable for them sha, e just depend on how much craze you get. Too easy sef. If you know, you know.
Court Sherrif? No no no no no
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by AshipaEk0: 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
SMJay:
Court Sherrif? No no no no no

Who will do the execution if you do fi fa against movable property?

Na the lawyer go carry chattel and movable property?

Abi katikati wo lon so lenu?

undecided undecided undecided
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Mostdetailed(f): 8:18pm On Jan 08, 2020
themonk:
The problem is not the Judgement, the problem is the execution. If they tell the court they don’t have money will the court kill them?

Nope. You apply for an order called garnishee to attach all banks. All the banks will be made to come to court and say which of them has accounts with the tenants. All those that have accounts with the tenant to the sum in arrears will by order of the court pay the amount to the landlord.

If he has no money, you apply for order to attach his properties

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

its a 5 years old storey building, so it's not possible

You have down grade yourself who told you can renovate a year old building not to talk of five years.1.get sh..it put it on their door step everyday.2.get a fake prophet download his profile to waylay him
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Ofadaman(m): 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
Most tenants know about the legal system, so what they do is look for a very lenient landlord who likes to go with the law and rent for the first year.. they won't pay again , knowing very well they can stay for over 3 yrs rent free after the quit notice.

There are often few ways to work around this;

1) Give yoir property to real estate agents, they'd get rents and take a percentage. It will save you from all these unnecessary stress.. they handle errant tenants well, right from the agreements and you won't have a business with tenants but with the agents. They also help maintain the building. Don't be greedy , use their help for peace of mind

2) Go rogue, disconnect their access to power, water and even entrance. Report to police (not court), on a Friday night.. let them come and pick the man up, he sleeps there and bails himself, the next Friday, pick him up again, continue like that...police case upon police case. (Especially for the new one that wants to go rogue). Change the key to the main entrance, remove all windows to the house, and burglary saying you want to renovate. Then last last, tell them you've sold the property entirely .and get a fresh agrresive face to kick them out.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Kendollar696(m): 8:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
if your barrister is slow.. my guy look for another active one. except the house was given to you for free.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by obstead200(m): 8:50pm On Jan 08, 2020
Perfecttouchade:
all these wicked tenants Sha, they know our law system when it comes to things like this ain't effective... disconnect their electricity first, the only problem there is that nothing concern NEPA, except you are using prepaid, disconnect their water supply as well..they have over stayed sef try this out and see how long they can go without these things
I thought a proper tenancy agreement will take care of issues like this. I don't see why someone can stay 6 months for free, if a proper agreement is in place

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by akeensbussy(m): 8:52pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:
I will make this as short as possible

There is this tenant that we gave quit notice since 2018 because of inability to pay the house rent. Up till now he has not moved out, we handled the case legally and its still in court till now.

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

Now there is another tenant that is very close to the man's wife, she did not pay 2019 rent and she was given quit notice 6 months ago to leave before December 31st, up till now, nothing has happened, we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

Please what can we do concerning the two tenant situations?

The house is situated in Lagos. Ayobo area to be specific

The tenant will pay the 3 years rent before they leave. There is no law that says tenant will not pay rent when given quit notice or when the matter is in the court. All the years the tenant spent while the matter is in the court will be paid for.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Perfecttouchade: 8:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
obstead200:
I thought a proper tenancy agreement will take care of issues like this. I don't see why someone can stay 6 months for free, if a proper agreement is in place
that's true but you know our Nigerian people
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
Doyenro23:
. THANK YOU FOR THIS, MOST OF THE COMMENT HERE FROM THOSE PEOPLE WHO RESIDE OUTSIDE LAGOS WHO WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IS OBTAINABLE IN LAGOS, MOST OF THE ADVISE LOOK SO CHILDISH. HERE IN LAGOS, LANDLORDS ARE USUALLY AFRAID OF TENANTS, I AM CURRENTLY IN MY OWN 3 BED, NO TIME FOR TENANT WAHALA NOW. I REMEMBERED BACK THEN WHEN OUR LANDLORD IN SURULERE WANTED TO EVICT US FROM HIS HOUSE, HE CALLED ALL THE TENANTS IN THE HOUSE IN A FRIENDLY MEETING AND TOLD US HE WANT TO RENOVATE HIS HOUSE, AND FOR THAT REASON HE GAVE US 6 MONTHS QUIT NOTICE, AND THIS WAS THE PERIOD WE WHERE SUPPOSED TO RENEW OUR RENTS, WHAT WE DID THEN, WAS TO DIVERT OUR RENT TO SOMETHING ELSE, DO YOU KNOW THAT AFTER THE 6 MONTHS HAS EXPIRED, HE CAME TO REMIND US OF THE EXPIRATION OF THE NOTICE, WE UNANIMOUSLY BEGGED HIM FOR ANOTHER 3 MONTHS EXTENSION WHICH WE ALL SIGNED AND AGREED TO EVICT FROM THE HOUSE, AFTER THE 3 MONTHS WE ALL LEFT THE BUILDING. THIS IS A WISE LANDLORD, IN THAT SAME STREET OTHER LANDLORDS FELT THEY COULD USE FORCE TO EVICT THEIR TENANTS THERE AND TODAY THE LANDLORDS ARE REGRETING THEREVACTIONS, WORST STILL, A PARTICULAR LANDLORD IN THAT SAME STREET TOOK HIS TENANTS TO COURT AND WENT AHEAD TO PULL OFF THE ROOF OF THE HOUSE IN THE NAME OF RENOVATION, AS AT 2016 TILL LATE LAST YEAR 2019, I WAS TOLD THE CASE WAS STILL IN COURT, THE TENANTS ARE NOT PAYING RENT AND ARE CLAIMING HUGE DAMAGES AS A RESULT OF THE REMOVED ROOF. SO IF YOU LOVE YOUR SELF AND YOU SURE YOU LIVE IN LAGOS, NEVER YOU BUY THE ADVISE OF THOSE WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IS OBTAINABLE IN LAGOS, WHO ARE ASKING YOU TO PULL OF HIS DOOR, REMOVE HIS ROOF, DO THIS AND THAT. YOUR LAST OPTION FOR NOW, IS TO WITHDRAW THE CASE FROM COURT AND FACE ANY MEDIATION CENTRE AROUND YOU, THAT COULD BE YOUR ONLY SAVING GRACE NOW. AND I ASSURE YOU THE VERDICT MAY TURN IN YOUR FAVOR AND THE TENANT MAY THE ASKED TO PAY ARIARS, BUT TRUST THE TENANT, HE MAY DECIDE TO SNICK AND PACK OUT INSTEAD OF PAYING

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / Facts About People Living In Face Me I face You Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.