Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,735 members, 7,831,341 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (43295 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help / Tenants In My Newly Acquired Building Are Stealing Building Materials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by lyricalz: 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:
I will make this as short as possible

There is this tenant that we gave quit notice since 2018 because of inability to pay the house rent. Up till now he has not moved out, we handled the case legally and its still in court till now.

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

Now there is another tenant that is very close to the man's wife, she did not pay 2019 rent and she was given quit notice 6 months ago to leave before December 31st, up till now, nothing has happened, we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

Please what can we do concerning the two tenant situations?

The house is situated in Lagos. Ayobo area to be specific

I swear you weak gan, I have handled such tenants that's more even stubborn than these, since his rent expired we have no binding contract again, first I disconnect the light to his house, mumu was running on Gen, secondly I disconnected water supply to his apartment, I also cover the well and lock it with padlock, anybody that wanno fetch water from well comes to me for key and they return it back immediately, the mumu go outside go they fetch water. third I removed all the windows in the house, told him I wanno upgrade them, omo e no reach 1week before the mumu japa.

7 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by m140(m): 9:26pm On Jan 08, 2020
Toyeen85:
All this wicked Lagos tenants that is how one idiot stayed in our house for 4 years without paying a kobo, may God punish him wherever he is.
That's too bad, but most landlord are wicked,
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by kpajie1: 9:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
call me ok i wil te d juju to use.119
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Imustreturn(m): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
SMJay:
I read somewhere here some one used these method and it took 7 months.
someone I know used it last November. The girl lawyer there don't smile with those tenant oh
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Buffalo2(m): 9:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

its a 5 years old storey building, so it's not possible
That's the "best" and fastest solution so far you don't want to confront them. You don need to remove for the whole house. Just target their rooms and remove them the roof there grin. It may cost you workmanship but you'll definitely achieve ur aim and no jupiter can query you for that
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Imustreturn(m): 9:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
emmanuelpopson:

u dey there.. ikotun Mediation canter had helped people ooo
God bless you. I just got a confirmation..

SMjay you see someone confirmed what I said

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2020
Justcome:

There is this tenant that we gave quit notice since 2018 because of inability to pay the house rent. Up till now he has not moved out, we handled the case legally and its still in court till now.

This is the 3rd year that the man and his family have stayed without paying 1 naira because of our poor judicial system, we are still hoping the court will eject them this year.

Now there is another tenant that is very close to the man's wife, she did not pay 2019 rent and she was given quit notice 6 months ago to leave before December 31st, up till now, nothing has happened, we think she wants us to open a legal case so that she can stay for some more years free of charge like her friend.

you dont need the courts to evict a tenant if you have gave them a notice period that is within the a period that a court would give, lets say law requires you to give a notice of 3 months, if you gave them 6 months you would have gave them more than what the law would have gave.

After the notice you have the right to kick then out, the only trick is to how to give them the notice and make them sign, to say they receive it, because you have to prove to the courts that you gave the notice and they received it which would be shown by their signed signature and date
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by emmanuelpopson(m): 10:00pm On Jan 08, 2020
SMJay:
Human rights department of the police? What year was this? Mediation center yes, Police. No! When I had same issue the police told me it was a civil matter hence the reason I asked what year.

you went to the wrong place.. I can confirmed mine to you...
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by LegalOpinion: 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
Cyberknight:
You need patience - eventually the court will give judgment in your favour and the tenants must pay all the back rent.

You will get a judgment that can be enforced against the tenant with possible garnishment of wages, if they're employed.

Why didn't you try the mediation centre first; you might want to do that with the second stubborn tenant.

There are elements and legal considerations for every case before the court. Your advice here is not unlikely and also not absolutely.

In the instant case, elements such as tenancy agreement or the absence of it may change the course of the case.

Again, whether the quite notice issued was valid or invalid also can change the course of the matter. Also, whether the landlord has complied with the legal procedure for termination of tenancy or not is also a factor.

These things are some of the legal technicalities that can be deployed by an intelligent Lawyer to turn the tide.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by LegalOpinion: 10:27pm On Jan 08, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

you dont need the courts to evict a tenant if you have gave them a notice period that is within the a period that a court would give, lets say law requires you to give a notice of 3 months, if you gave them 6 months you would have gave them more than what the law would have gave.

After the notice you have the right to kick then out, the only trick is to how to give them the notice and make them sign, to say they receive it, because you have to prove to the courts that you gave the notice and they received it which would be shown by their signed signature and date

SMH
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by LegalOpinion: 10:32pm On Jan 08, 2020
Doyenro23:
I notices majorities commenting on this topic don't understand how things work btw Land lord and tenant most especially in a state like Lagos . You don't threaten tenant or assault them physically because of rent because if you do oboy na jail and the court won't take it likely with you

Most of them advising him to remove the roof, disconnect water and light bla bla bla are actually pushing him closer to jail or payment of heavy damages that may require him to sell that house.

I also suspect that they don't know so much about the law
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2020
1. File a different suit, this time a Civil case.
2. Petition both tenants to Human rights section of Panti Yaba.
3. Withdraw services to the apartments
4. Get your Agents to harass and embarrass them in the community as debtors
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by LegalOpinion: 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2020
9jayes:

Baba arrange some guys to dress like herbalists, let them be chanting round the house around 12am for 7 days. If anybody wants to challenge you tell dem its your house nd your ritual e no concern expired tenants.

You haven't seen tenants that are prepared. They will even join you to beat the drum for you.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Doyenro23(m): 10:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
Ecne:
1. File a different suit, this time a Civil case.
2. Petition both tenants to Human rights section of Panti Yaba.
3. Withdraw services to the apartments
4. Get your Agents to harass and embarrass them in the community as debtors

I don't think you have any experience about Lagos properties bro's because this one you are saying na court unna go land last last
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Candoit: 11:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
DEBJOCH1:
. THANK YOU FOR THIS, MOST OF THE COMMENT HERE FROM THOSE PEOPLE WHO RESIDE OUTSIDE LAGOS WHO WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IS OBTAINABLE IN LAGOS, MOST OF THE ADVISE LOOK SO CHILDISH. HERE IN LAGOS, LANDLORDS ARE USUALLY AFRAID OF TENANTS, I AM CURRENTLY IN MY OWN 3 BED, NO TIME FOR TENANT WAHALA NOW. I REMEMBERED BACK THEN WHEN OUR LANDLORD IN SURULERE WANTED TO EVICT US FROM HIS HOUSE, HE CALLED ALL THE TENANTS IN THE HOUSE IN A FRIENDLY MEETING AND TOLD US HE WANT TO RENOVATE HIS HOUSE, AND FOR THAT REASON HE GAVE US 6 MONTHS QUIT NOTICE, AND THIS WAS THE PERIOD WE WHERE SUPPOSED TO RENEW OUR RENTS, WHAT WE DID THEN, WAS TO DIVERT OUR RENT TO SOMETHING ELSE, DO YOU KNOW THAT AFTER THE 6 MONTHS HAS EXPIRED, HE CAME TO REMIND US OF THE EXPIRATION OF THE NOTICE, WE UNANIMOUSLY BEGGED HIM FOR ANOTHER 3 MONTHS EXTENSION WHICH WE ALL SIGNED AND AGREED TO EVICT FROM THE HOUSE, AFTER THE 3 MONTHS WE ALL LEFT THE BUILDING. THIS IS A WISE LANDLORD, IN THAT SAME STREET OTHER LANDLORDS FELT THEY COULD USE FORCE TO EVICT THEIR TENANTS THERE AND TODAY THE LANDLORDS ARE REGRETING THEREVACTIONS, WORST STILL, A PARTICULAR LANDLORD IN THAT SAME STREET TOOK HIS TENANTS TO COURT AND WENT AHEAD TO PULL OFF THE ROOF OF THE HOUSE IN THE NAME OF RENOVATION, AS AT 2016 TILL LATE LAST YEAR 2019, I WAS TOLD THE CASE WAS STILL IN COURT, THE TENANTS ARE NOT PAYING RENT AND ARE CLAIMING HUGE DAMAGES AS A RESULT OF THE REMOVED ROOF. SO IF YOU LOVE YOUR SELF AND YOU SURE YOU LIVE IN LAGOS, NEVER YOU BUY THE ADVISE OF THOSE WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IS OBTAINABLE IN LAGOS, WHO ARE ASKING YOU TO PULL OF HIS DOOR, REMOVE HIS ROOF, DO THIS AND THAT. YOUR LAST OPTION FOR NOW, IS TO WITHDRAW THE CASE FROM COURT AND FACE ANY MEDIATION CENTRE AROUND YOU, THAT COULD BE YOUR ONLY SAVING GRACE NOW. AND I ASSURE YOU THE VERDICT MAY TURN IN YOUR FAVOR AND THE TENANT MAY THE ASKED TO PAY ARIARS, BUT TRUST THE TENANT, HE MAY DECIDE TO SNICK AND PACK OUT INSTEAD OF PAYING

I'm not in Lagos, so I cant advice you. But I think someone who is has said something you could take home with. Don't bank on the court case and don't create further damages for your self.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mine was settled at citizen mediation centre at iba local gvt

1 Like

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by lugzii: 11:45pm On Jan 08, 2020
Some landlords are useless too and want to extort tenants and need to be taught a lesson.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2020
themonk:
The problem is not the Judgement, the problem is the execution. If they tell the court they don’t have money will the court kill them?

Yes na grin
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Sagay212: 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
Use juju pursue dem. By the time fly and rat nor gree dem rest for house, them go comot
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 09, 2020
obehi247:
Leave dem first make dem think say them wise, e go shock dem when the court go ask dem to pay for the 3years rent. Matter dey court nor give any body the opportunity to misbehave. Another thing say, now the agreement dem get with the landlord on the contract paperwork fit make the landlord helpless

But what if they Pak n go in the night what would happen to op arrears

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by kamikaz1: 12:18am On Jan 09, 2020
Justcome:

Bury animal near their window and dress it like grave or shrine.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by bitingcool: 5:22am On Jan 09, 2020
richPHAROAH:
just invite thieves and arm robbers to come and rob the compound weekly. them go leave by force

This one make me laugh
Also sprinkle chicken blood on the entrance of the door with coloured egg and leave the severed chicken head there
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by abj2040(m): 7:05am On Jan 09, 2020
A 3 bedroom flat apartment is for sale in ikorodu, Lagos State. Interested buyer should contact me on 08164970589
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by mukthar2000(m): 7:27am On Jan 09, 2020
ARE THEY Igbo GUYS? IF THEY ARE Igbo GUY FORGET IT,
they are ready to pay u 20year if they are get house newly, but once the rent due just be ready for truble.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by richPHAROAH: 7:34am On Jan 09, 2020
bitingcool:

This one make me laugh
Also sprinkle chicken blood on the entrance of the door with coloured egg and leave the severed chicken head there
omo, me i no dey fear all those spritual things o lol. if na arm robber , i go jappa lol
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by oodua1stson: 7:34am On Jan 09, 2020
Justcome:

where are you from? I know for sure no man/woman born of woman will ever try this sh1t with a proper ijebu person.

So I'll have my own house and one fool will want to stay in it for free? I swear, na him go run after I go spiritual on him
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by oodua1stson: 7:35am On Jan 09, 2020
My point is, stop going to court. They will keep moving the case forward. Go to your ancestors. They have the rod to smack such useless people
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Drema: 8:29am On Jan 09, 2020
You are only being philanthropic. These days Landlords go traditional. ...Meet Baba and I bet you within 3days the tenant will ran away from the house and NEVER come back or face the consequences. Many mad people on the road are stubborn tenants.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by meum: 9:43am On Jan 09, 2020
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by Niyinficient(m): 9:52am On Jan 09, 2020
Justcome:

Go give them anothe notice say u wan renovate, remove the roof. In two months’ time, The rains will do the rest for you.
Re: How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? by publicenemy(m): 11:06am On Jan 09, 2020
Justcome:

are they Igbo people?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / Plywood Ghetto-house Under Lagos Bridge That Has An Air-conditioner!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.