Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People (53890 Views)

Are Introverts Born Or Made? / 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing / Extreme Introverts, How Did You Meet Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Fundamentalist: 12:11pm On Jan 11, 2020
Being an introvert can lead to misunderstanding about your personality. Just like the OP posted I don't like crowds. I hardly interact with strangers , family thinks am a proud person . I just love being alone a spouse with my ideology would be a perfect March.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Alwaysachick: 12:11pm On Jan 11, 2020
Facebook......totally avoided facebook, feels like a market place cheesy

Then I block strangers esp work related from viewing my status and gossips too, I block them grin

Then I love going to the cinemas alone, its one of the fun things I do most weekends. I met one of my friend from Uni while waiting for a movie he asked who I was with and I said I came alone, then he nodded in disapproval.

I'm like what is wrong with going to the cinemas alone!!!! angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by tommy589(m): 12:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
One of the reasons you won't find me in church or large gatherings. I love my own my own company and it's never boring to me to be alone

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Trism(m): 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2020
I am stuck eating junks because going to the cafeteria during break for good food mean I will have to stand in queue with a lot of people and eating there

And am kind of addicted to my earpiece even during lectures I just need something not to hear people talks like I can hardly survived 30 minute without it and felt uncomfortable when not with it especially in exam hall or other places where I have no choice.

3 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by thepranksta: 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2020
Be online and chat on Nairaland! I am willing to bet there are a disproportionate number of introverts who use this entire forum. wink

6 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by ukaface(f): 12:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
Nawa o
See as everybody for Nl automatically turn introvert.

If those are the characteristics of Introversion,then I ain't an introvert,cos those things are weird fa

5 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by kunleweb: 12:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
LJ1759:
crackhous & fountainofyouth, why dont you two love birds just admit to loving each other, its so obviously embarrassing that you two keep ranting to each other and secretly admiring each other. next thing we see on front page ''TWO NAIRALANDERS PRE-WEDDING PHOTOS'' (crackhous & fountainofyouth)

It's just two obvious my guy crackhaus and Fountainofyouth are not just in love but madly in love with one another. If the both of them can leave pride alone and do the needful, the expected could occur. But if for a fling, if this two find themselves in a room, I feel very sorry for the foundation of that building, even the walls will not be spared from the exothermic energy their infusion would produce. O ma bad gan grin So crackhaus, Fountainofyouth both of you stop playing hard and do the needful.

11 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Viicfuntop(f): 12:17pm On Jan 11, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

Yes cheesy cheesy

Just admit it already. Everyone can feel the energy between you two.

4 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by tartar9(m): 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2020
Many people confuse their social anxiety disorder for introvertedness.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Viicfuntop(f): 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2020
Viicfuntop:

Just admit it already. Everyone can feel the energy between you two. I found it interesting.

1 Like

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by kunleweb: 12:19pm On Jan 11, 2020
I believe people need to write about being introverted and astrology. If you belong to a sign I believe the chances of introversion would be high. For example I can tell Fountainofyouth that troublesome gal was born around the last four month of the year.... So introversion and personality forming is also directly linked with one's broth sign astrologically too

1 Like

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by tck2000(m): 12:20pm On Jan 11, 2020
Reality11:
When I was young, I'll sneak out from the backyard door to avoid meeting with visitors. I'll then watch from a far till they leave.

Me too.

1 Like

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 11, 2020
ProdigalSaviour:
Admittance is a safe lane to change..are you not tired of such life don't u think u have things to offer to people around u,why not confront your fear nd make a difference nd u could see a star hidden in u

I am so happy living like that it has helped me keep a very small circle of friends and stay out of trouble. I have several personalities inside of me and most times people don't ever understand that, there would be times when I would like to talk or even want to be aggressive other times I to just sit by myself and talk to myself.

3 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Optimistmoses(m): 12:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
My door and windows are always locked whenever I'm around, during my universities days just to avoid talking to my hostel mates. And I always tells people that I'm not around whenever they want to visit.

3 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by kunleweb: 12:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
tartar9:
Many people confuse their social anxiety disorder for introvertedness.

I actually believe introversion is acute social anxiety disorder. Albeit not psychologically sick but mental wired..
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by vincentjk(m): 12:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Used to be an introvert when i was growing up, a cousin once accused me of something i didn't do and I didn't reply anything just to avoid much talk... They later found out the truth and kept asking me why i didn't want to defend myself but pretended I was pressed and left that place

But now I'm almost opposite, 2days ago my mum told me my greeting with people is now getting outta hand lol. I'm a business man so i believe being free with people attracts them to buy from you smiley

Lollipopandy you always avoid chatting with me, Coman share your own experience lol

4 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Alexun(m): 12:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
monsieur55:
What Introverts Have Done to Avoid People
1. I pretended I didn’t speak English to avoid small talk.

I’m Filipina but I look like I’m from Korea or Japan. In order to save myself from a man’s attempt at small talk with me, I pretended not to understand his language (he spoke English and mistook me for a foreigner). I replied “no Engrish, no Engrish,” while shaking my head. Upon hearing that, he didn’t bother to continue.
–Dioselle
2. I hid behind my couch until the UPS guy left.
I knew I was an introvert when the UPS guy showed up to deliver a package and I literally ducked below the window so I could avoid the interaction and he’d just leave it at the door. The way I was acting, you’d think he was the SWAT team!
–Sharron

3. I called in sick to work on my birthday.
Once I called in sick to work on my birthday (even though I wasn’t sick) just to avoid coworkers saying “happy birthday” to me. It was enough to make my day much better.
–Ruben

4. I hid in my closet until my roommates left.
Once in college, I hid in my closet with the lights off waiting for my roommates to leave for the night. They tried to find me but I succeeded in evading them. Then I spent the rest of the evening journaling and listening to whatever music I wanted. It was amazing.
–Laura

5. I’ve blocked almost everyone on my phone.
My phone is set to not accept any calls or messages except for the eight contacts I’ve saved on my phone.
–Mehari

6. I got to campus four hours early every day to claim a quiet spot.
When I was an undergrad, I spent weeks methodically exploring each building on campus to locate areas with the least amount of foot traffic and a comfortable table and chair (preferably a single table and chair to avoid unwanted company). I would then take the earliest possible bus to campus each morning (6:50 a.m.) — even when my first class didn’t start until 11 a.m. — to claim my secluded study spot.
But after a while, other students started using my spots, and my grades were actually impacted! I spent hours, literally, walking from one spot to another all over campus, desperate to find a quiet place. I couldn’t concentrate with the amount of noise and activity that seemed to occupy every corner of campus. So instead of studying, I was looking for places to study — and then I would become so stressed that studying became impossible!
–Jennifer

7. I made a way-too-obvious sharp turn to avoid an acquaintance.
I was out for a walk over lunch at work when I saw someone I knew coming toward me the opposite way. I panicked and immediately turned down the next street to avoid crossing paths. My detour ended up taking a lot longer to get back to the office. And my sharp turn was so obvious that she definitely saw me.
–Jenna

8. I secretly called an Uber to escape.
This past weekend, I spent three hours in a bridal store with my sister, our mom, and grandma. I felt myself starting to have a panic attack, so I had to get out of there. I told them I needed to get some air, so I was going step outside. I stepped outside and got into the Uber I’d secretly ordered.
After a while, they started calling, but I didn’t answer. I was home for two and a half hours before I realized I DROVE them all to the fitting! My husband and I got my car the next day. Needless to say, I’m kicked out of the wedding!
–Angel

9. I made my boyfriend pretend to break up with me to avoid a wedding.
I made my boyfriend pretend to have split up with me for several weeks so I could avoid having to attend his brother’s wedding. It was a really difficult time, as he was understandably confused and hurt by my attitude, but he went along with it and visited when he could, until a decent interval after the wedding when we could “reconcile.”
I felt guilty but oh-so-very-relieved that I was spared what would have been for me the most incredible ordeal with his loud, exuberant, extroverted family and their friends. Somehow I made it through our own wedding the following year, but I was much happier when we were finally off on our honeymoon!
–Rosemary

10. I snuck cereal into my bedroom so I wouldn’t have to eat breakfast with my in-laws.
I’m a stay-at-home mom and my in-laws just came to visit for two whole weeks. My kids and husband were gone most days for school and work, so I didn’t know how I was going to survive — especially because they love to constantly small-talk. I felt like I was suffocating!
After a few days of panic and despair, I decided to just unapologetically do my own thing every day. On days when they weren’t out visiting places I recommended, I said “see you later” and headed to yoga, to volunteer, anything.
One day, they were sitting at home, and I went across the street and ate lunch by myself, then spent the day laying in the sun reading. It was glorious!
Several mornings, I even snuck a bowl of cereal into my bedroom so I didn’t have to sit at the kitchen table alone with them and make small talk. Hallelujah, they left on Saturday!
–Jenny

11. I fake phone calls.
At work, when walking between meetings or to get lunch, I pretend to be on a call on my cell phone, fully faking it, talking to no one, with pauses in all the right places and everything — just to avoid interacting with anyone on the way!
–Karen

12. I photoshopped pictures to cover my tracks.
Every time I have plans with someone, I’m excited, but when the day gets nearer, I start thinking of an alibi. But when it came to the baptism of my friend’s daughter, I couldn’t think of a good reason not to be there, because I’m one of the godfathers. I mean, I wanted to go to support my friend, but I knew it would be boring and there would be a lot of people, so it would drain me so much.
I love my friend and didn’t want to lie to her, but my anxiety started building up. I told my friend I had to make an emergency visit to my Tita (aunt), far away (a lie), and probably couldn’t make it even if I wanted to (which was true).
My friends didn’t buy it, so I sent them pictures of me in that faraway place with my aunt edited by Photoshop — good thing my editing skills are the best! They still didn’t buy it, but at least they gave up pestering me to come (they know me so well). Needless to say, they didn’t invite me to my friend’s wedding afterwards.
—Ken

source( Introvertdear)

Introvert, what’s the most extreme thing you’ve done to avoid people? Let me know in the comments.

Well... I don't think there is anything up there I haven't done before! Plus including...

1)Dressing up for a very good friend's wedding after several promises to be present (even declined being his Best Man), only to get to the venue at the park and the thought of mutual friends and the crowd around made me turn back home, laid in bed and sent him a SMS stating a 1001 reasons I couldn't show up for the wedding.

2)Was supposed to go for an interview only for a friend to come over very early in the morning o. Locked up myself in the room and told my sibling to tell him I wasn't around. Only for her to tell him I stepped out o. The guy was like he would wait and felt at home with my family o embarassed . I was in that room till 12 noon, when he decided to leave (switched off my phone too incase he tried calling). Brethren, my interview was for 10 a.m. cry

So many others, but I really wish I am not like this...but outgoing people, how do you even do it!

2 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Lonelypacifist6: 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2020
ayobamiJR:
I am Yoruba... Yoruba greet a lot but I live like I'm not even one...sometimes I don't even know the right answer to greetings.

Some one would say "Aku Odun" and I'm just clueless.

I avoid all forms of greetings.

I upload pics on social media, the next moment, I take it down.

I don't have friends, not at all. I bought everything I'd ever need to not get bored in my room

PS3

ACER INSPIRON TABLET

32 INCHES TV

JBL SPEAKER

WEED

The only people I'm comfortable with in life is babies. I'd adopt one if I can't marry soon.

I'm really scared of wedding. I don't like attention.

You just described me except I'm not much of a gamer.
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2020
I am one, and it is never easy being an introvert. You have to contrive many plans to avert unneccesary attention.

I was once a head of an audit team for an organization, and after the end of each visitation you have to give an exit talk on your audit assessment to the auditees. That became a recurring problem for me because I hate facing a crowd. But I learnt to overcome this impediment by reading a lot of books on speech making, and I got better at it at last.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Jaymaestro(m): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2020
Being an Introvert ,a very sensitive one is like hell on earth for me. I have tried to not be an introvert , but always have myself reverted. If I could change or balance it , I would be glad.
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 11, 2020
I pretend as if am not aware what it involves.
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by GODWINGODSON(m): 12:29pm On Jan 11, 2020
ProdigalSaviour:
It's not easy being an introvert. ..I was one nd i worked my self out,you can too.It's choice read books,pay for seminars that has to do with human management ,youtube has lectures too...I was just not just an introvert but sad nd uninteresting .I never became extroverted but I can engage in meaningful discussion nown nd keep u on nd u will be wishing I keep talking.I discovered oratory part of me I never knew.
Ill like to change myself as well. I want to be able to speak for myself. Please could you give tips that you have learned on your journey.
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Emmanuelhector(m): 12:30pm On Jan 11, 2020
Bunch of masturbators

7 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by tartar9(m): 12:31pm On Jan 11, 2020
kunleweb:

I actually believe introversion is acute social anxiety disorder. Albeit not psychologically sick but mental wired..
I don't think so.Introversion should be you just liking the quiet life and shouldn't be the result of,or coupled with,extreme anxiety for social interactions.

2 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Lama70(m): 12:32pm On Jan 11, 2020
your
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by sinqlepee(m): 12:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
OK this is mine. I saw a close friend of mine coming my direction so i quickly turned to another direction walking very fast, thought he didn't see me bt he did... i felt embarrassed

2 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by YorubaAmaka(m): 12:35pm On Jan 11, 2020
hmmm

all these OLOSHOS claiming introvert, wonders shall never end
how do you manage to get customers if you're not wild, you know what I mean'

Introvert on Social Media, Extrovert in real life (Partying, Clubbing) if you know you know
Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by TimiRume(f): 12:38pm On Jan 11, 2020
I used to be this extreme introvert,i was so scared of people and avoided them,including family members, but one night i did something{with the intention to get out of something else} and my life changed. In just 3 minutes of doing what i did,i became confident. Like a miracle only that it wasn't a miracle. I discovered i was really an introvert but i was no longer the fearful type, i can now hold conversations with anyone and speak confidently in public.

That night, i quickly ran to search to see if anyone had this idea i discovered, fortunately for me, not even one person knows this. I think i am the only one in the world who has this knowledge. Even my close family members who are still amazed at my change have no idea. I keep telling people i just outgrew it or did something else just to keep them in the dark.

Lately, i've been thinking of marketing this idea because i am underemployed and need money to do a lot. Or maybe not because i don't even know how to go about it. But one thing is sure, i don't think i will die with it. I will surely spill.

Also, i have little doubt that it may work on another person. I would not want to raise people's hope.

I am just excited that i know something that no one else knows, and that this thing i know can fetch me a lot of money. Its scary sometimes.

3 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Jarus(m): 12:38pm On Jan 11, 2020
I have done most of these things to avoid talking to people - faking phone calls, faking sleep, sharp turning to longer routes, putting phone permanently in silence, running away on days of social events in my house etc.

And I’m not sure I’m an introvert,

3 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by JastSiryin(m): 12:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
All these sound like people who suffer from "social anxiety"... Going to such extremes to avoid people isn't cause of introversion but neurosis.

8 Likes

Re: Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
It might seem Weird but ...

INTROVERTS BARELY CHEAT.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Friend Wants To Chase Me Out Because Of Ordinary Milk / Broken & Dejected: Found Out Wife Is Having An Affair With A Family Friend. / My Wife Twins Sister Moved To Our Apartment Of A Room And Parlour Self-contain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.