Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,915 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting (28788 Views)

Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights / DSTV Not Broadcasting Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz Rematch / What If I Told You That Zero Loss Bets Were Possible In Sports Betting! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by taiwoakin(m): 9:05pm On Jan 11, 2020
puremaker7:
is it legal now for startimes to buy right from beIN

No, they have to buy the rights from a company that has rights to broadcast in Nigeria. Which means startimes must buy from Dstv and Dstv must buy from startimes.
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by taiwoakin(m): 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
AZeD1:

UK in the past had only Sky showing EPL matches on TV and people complained about the rising prices like how Nigerians complain about DSTV then BT sports and Amazon Prime got a slice of the market now avid football fans in the UK have to subscribe to Sky, BT and Amazon Prime to watch all matches which in total cost more than when it was only Sky.
So in theory, it was good to "break the monopoly" but the customer ended up paying more.

Same thing would happen in Nigeria. You'll probably have to get, DSTV and Startimes just to watch EPL if this rule goes into effect.

You don't understand the policy.
The UK policy was to split the broadcast rights between 2 broadcast companies, each company having exclusive rights to certain matches.

This policy is to resell the same broadcast rights (either partially or fully, based on negotiations) to a new broadcast company, without affecting the existing rights of the original rights holder.

EG Dstv might decide to sell 5 epl matches per week to startimes, that doesn't prevent Dstv from broadcasting its own 10 matches complete.

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by tck2000(m): 10:05am On Jan 13, 2020
lovat:
Lai Mohammed finally made sense.

DSTV monopoly on football is about to be curtailed.

I like this
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by GABRIEL299(m): 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2020
HITV outbided DSTV at one time and got the rights the owner of the HITV as at that time paid a fortune for these rights which is one of the reasons the company fell, DSTV had to make a deal with them for TV rights at the time. so if a Nigerian investor is brave enough to invest so much money on EPL TV rights can outbid DSTV, he'll get the TV rights but it's not gonna be parte after parte because he'll need his money back one way or the other which might include selling the same rights to the DSTV, but as for me if become president or even governor I'll buy the TV rights and make EPL free for Nigerians or just my state, anybody that watches NTA or my State TV can watch free, life no easy very few things that we are passionate about so allow people with passion for this game to enjoy it for free, when God even bless me when I become billionaire in dollars I'll just buy it and everybody enjoys it �

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Akin Famewo Signs New Deal With Norwich / The Next El Clasico To Be Played In USA? / Cristiano Ronaldo Reveals Gender Of His Second Twin Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.