Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,952 members, 7,824,985 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting (28795 Views)

Multichoice Mulls Dropping EPL, UEFA Broadcast Rights / DSTV Not Broadcasting Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz Rematch / What If I Told You That Zero Loss Bets Were Possible In Sports Betting! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by chyket(m): 8:59am On Jan 10, 2020
DSTV Monopoly needs to be broken,it has made it impossible for growth to be achieved locally in that particular sector
I refused to agree that it's funding that is keeping the Nigerian players out of the juicy football broadcast because HITV had done it in the past and besides the Nigerian banks currently are better positioned financially to support other local players.
Sports broadcasting is a cash cow that you won't have to chase anybody around to achieve results .
Finally,will a South African government allowed any Nigerian Company to milk their citizens for this long?.

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 9:00am On Jan 10, 2020
tribalmall:
Which industry is Dangote monopolizing ?

Bill gates was a genius in marketing and business but he was taken to court because of the fact that the American government wanted a level playing for all and to boost small businesses and not be swallowed by the all too powerful Microsoft. The same scenario played out in the case of John D Rockefeller which his oil company was broken up into which the likes of CHEVRON and some oil multinationals came into existence. Dangote does not have a signboard that says Monopoly but those who have gone into the type of business he does have bad stories to tell. You cannot by giving him waivers and expect him not to be the biggest in Nigeria. And the Nigerian government has done absolutely nothing to protect smaller businesses because of the tribe where this Dangote is from.
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by 2packer(m): 9:00am On Jan 10, 2020
Also note guys that since the exclusive right to broadcast in Nigeria is removed, other satellite TV stations can as well acquire the right to broadcast from foreign stations. its not necessary that they must buy the right to broadcast from DSTV. the most important thing in my opinion is that other stations can broadcast these matches as far as they are able to legally acquire the right to broadcast

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by jaephoenix(m): 9:03am On Jan 10, 2020
CyberWolf:
Some people are blaming FG here and not DSTV. To me, DSTV is the culprit here because they corrupt our sports regulating agencies with bribe to secure exclusive right to show this sports channel. Same reason why they don’t show Europa because they don’t have the right to show it in Nigeria not that they can’t. Now the main thing FG is saying is that this exclusive rights will be removed. Any company that has the financial capacity to buy these rights from English FA or its equivalent can show it in Nigeria. Well this is my own understanding in case the “we know it all” comes for my head.
And which company has the financial clout in the #shithole to buy the rights
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by LegacyB: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2020
anonimi:

Many awoof-loving Nigerians won't ask your type of sensible question above and then wonder why the country is such a rotten hellhole of lazybone, freebie seekers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916463_img1217_jpegf36bc6f0e3954883e8b3b5a692deed65

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2
bros let’s not keep denigrating ourselves . Even in this cartoon you depicted the African asked the most important question in the discussion. Food was the subject of discuss with makes it the relevant question in this context. So you see Africans are actually great . Civilization started in Africa my friend.

2 Likes

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by CyberWolf: 9:06am On Jan 10, 2020
jaephoenix:

And which company has the financial clout in the #shithole to buy the rights
Remove the exclusive right bulshit first let’s start from there. Don’t be faster than your shadow. You don’t expect a company after paying huge amount to buy these broadcast right from foreign stations, to come home here again and pay these thieves and criminals for one bulshit exclusive right which we all know that they won’t give you unless you pay higher than DSTV and it allies.

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by AngelicBeing: 9:06am On Jan 10, 2020
anonimi:

Made sense where?
You pay for something and a government asks you to share it to your competitors for free?
Is that how government has made Dangote and BUA grow into overreaching monopolies?
Please no vex me for early momo o.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3903043_3900875eremainsmalluformakesensepng0cbd86798bdb9acb6b2f053976eebe47_png4f72619c8ca6b05dbf89dda16578e7fe
l am pighting kwarraption via the EPCC and my administlation is kwomitted to pighting kwarraption, Dangote is a northerner and I will plotect him via my administlation tongue

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by AngelicBeing: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2020
anonimi:

Many awoof-loving Nigerians won't ask your type of sensible question above and then wonder why the country is such a rotten hellhole of lazybone, freebie seekers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916463_img1217_jpegf36bc6f0e3954883e8b3b5a692deed65

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2
Gbam grin

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by AngelicBeing: 9:10am On Jan 10, 2020
anonimi:

Plain bullshit from the brainless leaders of lazy youths. undecided angry
You know the real deal bro.

tongue

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4138528_fbimg1471362711749_jpeg32428b294a57b4debde63e3fd7301227
tongue

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by grandstar(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2020
Did Lai Mohammed read carpentry? Does he have a PHD in umbrella repair? What kind of stupid new legislation is this? Does he want to destroy the TV industry as well as sports?

It's a vieled attack on DSTV. No one is fooled. DSTV is even 60% Nigerian owned as they berthed in the country in the days when foriegners could only own 40% "of a company in Nigeria.

The monopoly of certain sports programmes is a global practice. The biggest beneficiary is a sport like football who receive piles of money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by Dee60: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2020
They want to lift 100 million out of poverty! Yet, they are also taking steps to kill the cow that produces the milk. What guides our economic thinking?
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by rottennaija(m): 9:13am On Jan 10, 2020
jaephoenix:

That is still bullshit.Market viable rates is an ambiguous term which can be pegged at different prices by DSTV and the Nigerian broadcasters,and i can assure you they wont arrive at a compromise.You cant expect Multichoice to buy rights at say 50 billion dollars and sell to them at 10 billion,whos gonna pay the deficit?Lai Lai Mohd?

So what do you suggest be done to break DSTV monopoly?
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by rottennaija(m): 9:14am On Jan 10, 2020
Dee60:

They want to lift 100 million out of poverty! Yet, they are also taking steps to kill the cow that produces the milk. What guides our economic thinking?

Explain how DSTV monopoly helps to lift millions out of poverty?
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by OlujobaSamuel: 9:15am On Jan 10, 2020
NimrodEndOfDays:
You and I know that is not true.
You are mistaking government patronage for monopoly.
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by grandstar(m): 9:16am On Jan 10, 2020
chyket:
DSTV Monopoly needs to be broken,it has made it impossible for growth to be achieved locally in that particular sector
I refused to agree that it's funding that is keeping the Nigerian players out of the juicy football broadcast because HITV had done it in the past and besides the Nigerian banks currently are better positioned financially to support other local players.
Sports broadcasting is a cash cow that you won't have to chase anybody around to achieve results .
Finally,will a South African government allowed any Nigerian Company to milk their citizens for this long?.

DSTV if I'm right is 60% Nigerian owned. They came into the country when the indeginisation Decree was still in force.

For your info, Skytv in Britain is controlled by an Australian American, Rupert Murdoch.

Monopolisation of football rights is a global practice. Outlaw it and the biggest sufferer will be sports like football who are very dependent on the sales of these rights for a large chunk of the revenue.

2 Likes

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by Warmaterial(m): 9:17am On Jan 10, 2020
sagitariusbaby:
Good morning DSTV
good morning my son. Dey don discover all my ojoro say I dey chop dem

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by Dee60: 9:18am On Jan 10, 2020
grandstar:
Did Lai Mohammed read carpentry? Does he have a PHD in umbrella repair? What kind of stupid new legislation is this? Does he want to destroy the TV industry as well as sports?

It's a vieled attack on DSTV. No one is fooled. DSTV is even 60% Nigerian owned as they berthed in the country in the days when foriegners could only own 40% "of a company in Nigeria.

The monopoly of certain sports programmes is a global practice. The biggest beneficiary is a sport like football who receive piles of money.

People often forget the hundreds of businesses supported by DSTV. The distributors, trained technicians etc. We think like our brains are underneath our feet! As big as Amazon, Apple and Microsoft etc are, their governments will do a lot to make sure they dont go down. The opposite is the case here. Pull them down syndrome, yet they are claiming new prosperity for 100 million people.

What stops other channels from going to bid for exclusive rights? They are making it sound like exclusive right is something illegal. They show total lack of understanding about sports broadcasting or sports management. Same way we have tried to force our policies on NFF only to back down when they realized FIFA was a government by itself!

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by jaephoenix(m): 9:23am On Jan 10, 2020
LegacyB:
bros let’s not keep denigrating ourselves . Even in this cartoon you depicted the African asked the most important question in the discussion. Food was the subject of discuss with makes it the relevant question in this context. So you see Africans are actually great . Civilization started in Africa my friend.
You r wrong.Food wasnt the most important part of the question
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by grandstar(m): 9:23am On Jan 10, 2020
Dee60:

People often forget the hundreds of businesses supported by DSTV. The distributors, trained technicians etc. We think like our brains are underneath our feet! As big as Amazon, Apple and Microsoft etc are, their governments will do a lot to make sure they dont go down. The opposite is the case here. Pull them down syndrome, yet they are claiming new prosperity for 100 million people.

What stops other channels from going to bid for exclusive rights? They are making it sound like exclusive right is something illegal. They show total lack of understanding about sports broadcasting or sports management. Same way we have tried to force our policies on NFF only to back down when they realized FIFA was a government by itself!

Thanks for this. It is mediocrity masking as expertise. Lee Kwan Yew, the late Singaporean president would have called this new legislation "an excess of hubris and theology".

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by chyket(m): 9:26am On Jan 10, 2020
NimrodEndOfDays:
Look at these fools talking about Monopoly. When you remove the Monopoly from Dangote, then I believe you would be making sense. At least it would create more jobs and a large competitive market.
I always laugh when people talk and refer to Dangote as a monopoly!!!.
In the late 90's,as a banker,I used to attend Commodities dealers Association meetings in Iddo Market with Dangote in attendance in one or two occasions.
He kept saying that he was going to quit commodity trading in a few years and go into production of household goods for daily living.
His Colleagues were thinking that the boom in the sector was going to last forever and therefore did not see urgent need to diversify and Today many of them,like Clemco,bicu etc have closed shop.Dangote initially took huge loans from Nigerian banks,built his Industries and a few years later, took advantage of the boom in the Nigerian stock exchange and sold some shares and paid of the Nigerian banks and the rest is history.
Today he is building the biggest refinery without any govt support,all the previous refinery licenses have been gathering dust in cupboards in a lot of private offices since 1999.Tommorrow somebody will still shout Dangote Refinery monopoly.

5 Likes

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by jaephoenix(m): 9:26am On Jan 10, 2020
rottennaija:

So what do you suggest be done to break DSTV monopoly?
Break up Multichoice Nigeria. Simples
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by Christmasdon(m): 9:37am On Jan 10, 2020
9jaRealist:

Hi-TV had the WORST coverage of EPL games ever (multiple times with failed transmission)...
Meanwhile, the owner was busy chartering yachts and ferrying women around Cannes. Dude still owes AMCON!
>
. You mean Asin scrambled channel compared to Dstv cloudy weather disrupt.
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by taiwoakin(m): 9:39am On Jan 10, 2020
After reading several comments, I have realized many people here do not understand the policy.

First Dstv does not buy rights from skysports or btsports, rather all rights are sold by the competition organizers.

EPL organizers sell the rights various media organizations worldwide, same thing with uefa.

The rights to each territory are sold via bidding war, so if Dstv pulls out of the bidding other companies can bid to acquire the rights at a fee they can afford.

The policy means startimes can approach Dstv to buy epl rights from them at a fee that would be negotiated by both parties while Dstv can also acquire Europa league rights from startimes.

Note that several broadcast companies have tried in the past to BUY rights from Dstv but they said an emphatic NO, in order to keep monopoly of the viewing audience.

Those in the industry know how these prices are negotiated and what constitutes a fair deal. Reselling of broadcast rights did not just start today, it has been happening for over 10 years.

EG if you bought the rights at 100 million dollars, you can't expect to sell it for more than 50 million dollars.

3 Likes

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by anonimi: 9:41am On Jan 10, 2020
LegacyB:

I get am before na story.
You should be ashamed of yourself for saying something started with you but you are rock bottom nowhere to be found today in the scheme of things.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4024041_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by jaephoenix(m): 9:43am On Jan 10, 2020
taiwoakin:
After reading several comments, I have realized many people here do not understand the policy.

First Dstv does not buy rights from skysports or btsports, rather all rights are sold by the competition organizers.

EPL organizers sell the rights various media organizations worldwide, same thing with uefa.

The rights to each territory are sold via bidding war, so if Dstv pulls out of the bidding other companies can bid to acquire the rights at a fee they can afford.

The policy means startimes can approach Dstv to buy epl rights from them at a fee that would be negotiated by both parties while Dstv can also acquire Europa league rights from startimes.

Note that several broadcast companies have tried in the past to BUY rights from Dstv but they said an emphatic NO, in order to keep monopoly of the viewing audience.

Those in the industry know how these prices are negotiated and what constitutes a fair deal. Reselling of broadcast rights did not just start today, it has been happening for over 10 years.

EG if you bought the rights at 100 million dollars, you can't expect to sell it for more than 50 million dollars.

Why?
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by GamalNasser: 9:43am On Jan 10, 2020
lovat:
Lai Mohammed finally made sense.

DSTV monopoly on football is about to be curtailed.

I like this

This has nothing to do with DSTV , please read again , they were talking about events in the country ..please stop blaming DSTV for the failures of your country , didn't HITV get the exclusive rights for one season? Could they manage it beyond one season? Didn't the Nigerian fool incharge of it squander all the money and could pay the next fees...
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by taiwoakin(m): 9:44am On Jan 10, 2020
Millions of jobs have been lost in the cable market as a result of the inability of companies to cope with the monopolistic tendencies of DSTV.

HI-TV, TSTV, kwese TV, TV continental, Daar Sat and several others that have bitten The dust that I can't even remember.

The policy by the Minister is a right step in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by govomotors: 10:00am On Jan 10, 2020
Good News, this is what we have been hoping for.

TSTV, please undated us as we are strongly behind you
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by gr8tone: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2020
until federal government makes provision for airing Nigeria local league, I can't take them serious
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by damaan(m): 10:35am On Jan 10, 2020
“Monopoly stunts growth”
Keep that same energy for Dangote MF!
Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by PeterUdeme: 10:38am On Jan 10, 2020
CSTR2:

It was killed because the Yoruba owner of hitv was buying cars and carrying big yansh women to Dubai and America with borrowed funds.

Gross mismanagement killed hitv.

HiTV was not owned by a Yoruba man you fool!

And stop reasoning like a typical hate filled Igbo man. He made a loss because he had little coverage unlike dstv to make even. You can’t compare hitv with dstv that has been in Nigeria for many years. He needs time to have many subscribers like dstv.

The Igbo owner of tstv did he also carry big yansh too? Why did it collapse before even starting?

1 Like

Re: FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting by Themandalorian: 10:40am On Jan 10, 2020
Its a very simple thing. If indeed they are serious, then NTA or whoever should buy the rights to Air the EPL in Nigeria and distribute to other companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Wants To Give Birth To A "Neymar". Gives Step By Step Description / Cristiano Ronaldo Reveals Gender Of His Second Twin Babies / U-17 World Cup Final: Switzerland Vs Nigeria [1 - 0]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.