Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) (16561 Views)

A Year Later: Remembering Olubusayo Awomolo (Bawomolo) : Light A Candle For Him / Wale Awomolo (left) Recieves His Son Olubusayo's(bawomolo) Last Exam Papers--pic / Light A Candel Here For Our Fallen Nlander Olubusayo Awomolo (bawomolo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 07, 2010
dtw_sola:

[url=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=news&cd=1&ved=0CCEQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fct-met-uic-student-killed-20101206-21%2C0%2C327635.story&ei=rNP9TJnzGIP58AadoIjbBw&usg=AFQjCNG5pHT4S-TbNPDLN9__7oz9is4m5w&sig2=4mbVRHdAOGQUsCdvfvdL_w]School pays final respects to brilliant young man.[/url]

Olubusayo Awomolo was the kind of graduate student who would quickly finish his projects, hand in reports early and ace exams.

But after he finished his own work, he would take a moment to offer help to other students, said his classmates and professors at the University of Illinois at Chicago on Monday.

A week after the 21-year-old mechanical engineering student was fatally shot outside his house in south suburban Dolton, the Nigerian immigrant's friends, professors and school administrators gathered with his family to mourn. Awomolo was a master's degree candidate scheduled to graduate this month, officials said.

"In a short life, he touched so many people," said Peter Nelson, dean of engineering. "We cannot understand this senseless loss. … We keep asking ourselves, 'Why? Why? Why?'"

According to Dolton police, Awomolo was shot between 7 and 8 p.m. Nov. 29 in the 15500 block of Ingleside Avenue, near the driveway of his house. Although several of his neighbors heard the shots, no one called police, said police Chief Bolden Jones. Police and Awomolo's family have asked the public to come forward and help authorities find who is responsible for the shooting. No one is in custody.

On Monday, Awomolo's classmates and professors used the ceremony to tell his family how much he meant to the university. Awomolo was one of five siblings who attended UIC, and three have graduated from there, school officials said.

With Awomolo's parents and siblings in the front row, the students and teachers described him as a humble scholar whose projects sometimes corrected flaws in his classmates' and professors' work.

They vowed to carry on his research and to promote his legacy of quiet academic excellence with a scholarship. Awomolo was concentrating his research on projects that could eventually help reduce the country's dependence on foreign oil, Nelson said.

On the night he was killed, Awomolo was returning home from his class on numerical heat transfer.

Farzad Mashayek, head of the mechanical and industrial engineering department who taught the course, said he was likely one of the last people to see Awomolo before he died. Awomolo was supposed to present his final paper two days later, but that day he handed it in early.

"We lost one of our most promising students," Mashayek said.

Khurram Akber, a student who took classes with Awomolo, said that even after he heard the news, he couldn't believe it.

"I was sitting in the lab all day hoping he would walk by and say, 'How are you?'" he said. "Olu was a great person."

After the service, Awomolo's parents said they were moved to learn their shy, modest and studious son had touched so many lives. His mother, Olufunmilayo Awomolo, said she knew her son was bright, and now she knows others knew it too.

"We should live his legacy," she said. "We cannot just turn around."

Nancy Cohen, left, director of development for the University of Illinois at Chicago's College of Engineering, comforts Olufunmilayo Awomolo on Monday during a memorial gathering in remembrance of Awomolo's son, engineering graduate student Olubusayo Awomolo. (Antonio Perez, Tribune photo / December 5, 2010)
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by deluxecad(m): 8:35am On Dec 07, 2010
My heart bleeds for this promising young man. The perpetrators of this heinous crime will not go free, time will catch up with them. Rest in peace beloved bro.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by deluxecad(m): 8:36am On Dec 07, 2010
My heart bleeds for this promising young man. The perpetrators of this heinous crime will not go free, time will catch up with them. Rest in peace beloved bro. cry
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by allycat: 9:16am On Dec 07, 2010
There are so many people who live to be 90 and die without anybody mourning them. That this young man was only 21 at the time of his death and has so many people mourning, crying and remembering him with fondness, speaks volumes about the kind of person he was. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by na2day(m): 9:31am On Dec 07, 2010
angry How I wish i live in that city, there will be hell to pay!   angry
And some punks will have the s.hit beaten out of them, don't care whether they are innocent or not!  angry
The pix of the mother above is making my blood to boil!
A clear message needed to be sent, that Immigrant Africans are to be avoided at all cost!  angry
Awon Oloriburuku!
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by UNLEASHED(m): 9:43am On Dec 07, 2010
Still wishing you will sign in here and post something. . . .You will FOREVER be remembered
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by connkg(m): 10:44am On Dec 07, 2010
Sorry to hear. I do ot know whom to direct my questions to, but will the Mod please help out?

1. Will it be a violation of privacy to attach a face to the name? (In time, it will be in the news; but you might need his familiy's permission)
2. Can the username "bawomolo" not be given to any other Nairalander in any form (i.e. the inclusion of numbers or letters or plain phonetic/pronunciation)
3. Does Nairaland have a face - a face that can (and just might) be visible to his family?
4. I am not in the US, but will like to find out if it was a case of mistaken identity, as I cannot bear the thought of a scandal a revelation of a duplicitous life could bring.

R.I.P.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by jmaine: 10:56am On Dec 07, 2010
deluxecad:

My heart bleeds for this promising young man. The perpetrators of this heinous crime will not go free, time will catch up with them.  Rest in peace beloved bro.

Even more so to the loved ones he left behind. . . The picture of the mum just melted my heart right away, come to think of it he took after his mum smiley. . .  Well crimes happen everyday all over the world with loads of heart wrenching occurrence like this happening to the promising ones. . . The only consolation  i might get from all this scenario is, get the perpetrator(s)  and reasons be given that gave rise to this brutal and unnecessary acts. Safe guarding against future occurrence of this crime should be of utmost importance to the community, they should learn to watch out for each other and care for them.

God protect and keep the family from any future mishap and may he give them the strength to bear the loss of a great member of the family.

They took him rudely away from the world, but little did they know his legend will soar.

The Lord is my Shepherd , i shall not fear.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 07, 2010
RIP MAN

SEUN U NEED TO DO THE HEAVEN VERSION OF THIS SITE BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THIS NEED TO BE ON NL. WHAT A GREAT LOST. GOD KNOWS BEST
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by sley4life(m): 11:38am On Dec 07, 2010
May his soul rip. What a loss. May God punish those behind this dastardly act.The cops should fish them out
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by ajetii(m): 11:41am On Dec 07, 2010
Can Seun or the Moderator put a link to this page on the Chicago tribune as a comment?

I have not try it but i guess is possible and then his friends, family and probably the killer might get to read us. Just my tot.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by mukina2: 12:02pm On Dec 07, 2010
conn-kg:

Sorry to hear. I do ot know whom to direct my questions to, but will the Mod please help out?

1. Will it be a violation of privacy to attach a face to the name? (In time, it will be in the news; but you might need his familiy's permission)
His pictures are on the fbk group and also on the other thread.

2. Can the username "bawomolo" not be given to any other Nairalander in any form (i.e. the inclusion of numbers or letters or plain phonetic/pronunciation)
No one would be able to use the same S?N, thanks for the suggestion will pass it on to the admin.

3. Does Nairaland have a face - a face that can (and just might) be visible to his family?
Sadly, no sad, Though Nairlanders that live closeby could possibly visit the family and let them know their son was a gem on here.

4. I am not in the US, but will like to find out if it was a case of mistaken identity, as I cannot bear the thought of a scandal a revelation of a duplicitous life could bring.
It is really him, we all wish it were a case of mistaken identiy but sadly it is him cry
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by honeric01(m): 12:10pm On Dec 07, 2010
What more is there to say than to say "RIP"

You live forever in every true nairalander's heart!

Adieu sad
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by mukina2: 12:38pm On Dec 07, 2010
ajetii:

Can Seun or the Moderator put a link to this page on the Chicago tribune as a comment?

I have not try it but i guess is possible and then his friends, family and probably the killer might get to read us. Just my tot.  
Just did, on both stories
thanks.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-uic-student-killed-20101206-21,0,327635.story
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/uic-mourns-for-grad-student-slain-in-dolton.html
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by spikedcylinder: 1:13pm On Dec 07, 2010
Sigh. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by holydante(m): 1:33pm On Dec 07, 2010
''After the service, Awomolo's parents said they were moved to learn their shy, modest and studious son had touched so many lives'', excerpts from Chicago Tribune

I even believe the outpouring of grief on NL is much more than the paper reported. Folks who interacted with him should do better to comment about him too on the papers site online, maybe this could go a long way to telling the world what a gem someone can be at 21 yrs, imagine he was to finish this year. @ Mukina, good job. pls be strengthened
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by armyofone(m): 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2010
seeing his mom and dad accepting his paper/project made me cry. this life cry
Busayo, RIP.

given how homes are built in the US (so closed), how can it be nobody helped
neighbors on your right, left, facing you etc how??
something kinda fishy.
the cops should work harder.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by sugarcane: 2:43pm On Dec 07, 2010
Rip bawomolo
Although I never post on NL, I'm the most avid reader ever. (Yeah we exist too)
I must say this news has shocked and dealt me such a blow that I can't help but come out of lurking and pay my respect.
It's not often you come across someone in real life or online who encompasses the most qualities you'll love to possess. Tolerance is a big big virtue, love is a massive virtue, generosity, intelligence and humour, big virtues, This young man (who I put down as an old world-weary wise man had all these virtues in surplus. So tell me, does anybody think it's possible that after living his short life this way, he wouldn't be rewarded for it? Please please someone tell me!
So regardless what people might think about this life, please just consider that aspect.
Don't know where he is now but I know and believe he is in a better place! So all you judge and jury, take time out to reflect on what life means. It's not about stamping 'christian' on your passport and getting a free ride to the pearly gates.

I'll go back to lurking now but want to sincerely pass my condolences to his family and friends, here on nairaland and in real life. I will miss his contributions to this site.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by holydante(m): 3:37pm On Dec 07, 2010
sugarcane:

Rip bawomolo
Although I never post on NL, I'm the most avid reader ever. (Yeah we exist too)
I must say this news has shocked and dealt me such a blow that I can't help but come out of lurking and pay my respect.
It's not often you come across someone in real life or online who encompasses the most qualities you'll love to possess. Tolerance is a big big virtue, love is a massive virtue, generosity, intelligence and humour, big virtues, This young man (who I put down as an old world-weary wise man had all these virtues in surplus. So tell me, does anybody think it's possible that after living his short life this way, he wouldn't be rewarded for it? Please please someone tell me!
So regardless what people might think about this life, please just consider that aspect.
Don't know where he is now but I know and believe he is in a better place! So all you judge and jury, take time out to reflect on what life means. It's not about stamping 'christian' on your passport and getting a free ride to the pearly gates.

I'll go back to lurking now but want to sincerely pass my condolences to his family and friends, here on nairaland and in real life. I will miss his contributions to this site.

@ bolded parts, in this very dark moment, at least something to smile about grin, please lurk no more, you never can tell the effects of your post on someone else' life and circumstance. cheers as you change your decision,
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by youngies(m): 3:48pm On Dec 07, 2010
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Awomolo,

I learned of the unfortunate and untimely death of your son and my friend Busayo. There are no words to describe the utter grief that I am feeling right now, and I cannot possibly imagine the shock and sorrow that has been thrust on your family as well.

It is true that he was taken from us too soon, and I think you share my sentiment that it feels a little unfair that such a smart and talented young man's life has ended with so much living left to do. It is my firm belief that bad things that happen to good people serve a greater good, and Busayo's death will, I believe, teach us all something if we only let ourselves be taught. Right now, we all are trudging through the mourning process, but with support from friends and family, I think we can find ourselves whole again.

Yours in mutual grief,
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Mudley313: 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2010
oh shoot. i actually e-knew this guy from way back. we used to be the only few nigerian posting in the forum below. i was shocked to find out the naija guy on there was actually this bawomolo of blessed memory. RIP bro

Link to the site below. they actually also got a tribute thread for him on there; this sucks angry:

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?86502-RIP-Busayo
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Ibime(m): 4:34pm On Dec 07, 2010
Mudley313:

Link to the site below. they actually also got a tribute thread for him on there; this sucks angry:

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?86502-RIP-Busayo

So Busayo was an underG HipHop head as well?

RIP once again to this humble man.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Mudley313: 6:13pm On Dec 07, 2010
Ibime:

So Busayo was an underG HipHop head as well?

RIP once again to this humble man.

i guess so. but like me, he used to mostly be on the politics section on there tho, and i recall we used to get into occasional squabbles because i felt he was a little too hard on his criticism of the general always-playing-the-victim attitude of most african-americans. probably got killed by one of em crab azz niggas

never knew he was the bawomolo dude on here. RIP once again
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Sigh. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

It is well, my sister.
Stop the tears, you know he wouldnt want anyone to cry. He'd have poked fun at us and let us all laugh it off.
See how many lives he had touched? Let's try to accept that his efforts will not go wasted.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by honeric01(m): 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2010
link=topic=562796.msg7289751#msg7289751 date=1291741986:

You have Obama, and Oprah, two of the most powerful people in the US that have very strong ties to Chicago, yet they cannot atleast acknowledge what is going on there. My heart hurts for the brother, to leave a country that is your home to escape that hell, hopes and dreams of making a good life for yourself in this place they all talk so great about, AMERICA. where the quality of life is so much better, where you have so many opportunities to live a grande life, to be filled with excitement, yet anxiety about your new journey, to arrive where everything is new, even the language, you have to learn to speak, the people, the culture, and to think you finally made it. To be gunned down in front of your own home, like its nothing. [size=18pt]To make that trip, that journey across the world to leave poverty only to land in hell[/size]. rest brother. You did not die in vain. We all should take away from what you taught us here, in that it is ok to disagree without the disrespect its ok to have your own opinion, its ok just to be who you are.

Is life truly not cruel? sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by tunde121oke: 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2010
@ 50
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by LadyT(f): 7:41pm On Dec 07, 2010
I hope it was quick and painless. I hope everyone involved i.e the killers and those neighbours who did nothing never have rest.

Im happy in the fact that he had a loving family and loving friends.

He was a smart young man who has gone too soon.

RIP darling kiss
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by obowunmi(m): 10:56pm On Dec 07, 2010
Busayo --- you were a very dear friend. I know you rest in the bosom of the lord.  

Peace and love.
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by ceasyc(f): 4:22am On Dec 08, 2010
oh my world! i read or heard dis news somewhere but neva tot it was him or any1 here

damn how sad. R.I.P man
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by SEFAGO(m): 6:17am On Dec 08, 2010
Wow, I wish I had the opportunity to know him offline undecided

RIP
Re: Celebrating Olubusayo Awomolo ( Bawomolo) by obowunmi(m): 6:44pm On Dec 08, 2010
Se-gay ? How far ? e don tey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rich Nigerians Spending Millions On London Property - video report from London! / Our Biggest Fear ? (Pictures) / How To Clear Error Code On Dstv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.