Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,158 members, 7,957,316 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:57 AM

Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue (3852 Views)

Should I Be Concerned About Marrying A 39yrs Old Woman? / When Wify Is So Concerned About What You Eat / Should I Take Back An Adulterous Wife Because Of The Expensive Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 6:08pm On Oct 23, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
No wonder my Igbo broses always say "I bought you, I paid your bride price complete".

Their girls are for sale!

"Nna, how mush is dat ya duter, Eight hundred tausan, I pay 2million naira if you add ha Sista, d black one, enugo?"

No wahala, marry from your tribe and stop drinking panadol on another person's headache.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Virginkpekus(f): 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2020
Plead:
Stupid post,stupid/trolling op.

Bride price should be abolished,it’s long overdue.
Your opinion, next!
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Bayley: 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2020
[quote author=cococandy post=85817538]Why not marry children then? At least they won’t have as much sexual experience as y’all do wink . Hopefully they won’t even have any.

When you talk about abolishing bride price (as it should be), watch these lot start frothing at the mouth.

For some weird illogical reason the ladies that are sleeping with you guys now haven’t reduced your value in your minds but somehow you guys have reduced their value by doing the same sexual activity to her that she did to you. Make it make sense. But it doesn’t. Because it’s stupid. Almighty logic cheesy. Making yourselves sound like filth for reducing the value of whatever you touch.

Simply do away with bride price or keep wailing about high bride prices for the same women that you’re currently sleeping with, who are magically not virgins on the day you’re ready to get married grin .

Bride price is a male culture. Enforced by men ( as are most regressive cultures) “we are in Africa yen yen yen”. Then turn around and blame w

1 Like

Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Shortyy(f): 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2020
IamCookie:

grin
You didn't want it to be a tribe war. But here you are laughing over a tribalistic comment.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by cupidhero(m): 2:58pm On Oct 24, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

Bride price laws were created because men saw women as less than human and wanted to treat them as mere commodities that can be exchanged for property or money.
But men are now the ones blaming women and complaining of bride price laws because Buhari economy is holding their necks and dealing with their bank accounts. If it was in an era when there were still many jobs and the economy was good I can bet my last kobo that the same men complaining of bride price will be vehemently insisting that it should be paid because they like the idea of buying and selling women like cows.
Were you there when this particular law was created? Bride price in some parts where i come from from is 5 naira. Does this mean the bride was sold for 5 naira? How about dowries? Does this mean these same men also saw their boys as commodities? if your father,elders and uncles have bastardized and altered the culture of where ever you come from just to satisfy their own greed that is your personal or should i say family problem. Some greedy uncles and parents take advantage of these things especially when the parents of the girl is not well informed about the rites and traditions of where he comes from. That is why it is good for a man to know tradition so you won't fall prey to these things.
If bride prices are this high how come even the most poorest individuals in history all got married? Do you know any Father knowledgeable in tradition can actually take his daughter back by simply paying back the bride price to the man incase he thinks the man can't take good care of his daughter? It was also a means to dissolve the union between two people whose marriage didn't work. Before divorce laws and marital laws were written their had to be a means to show two people were married i don't see why it is too hard to grasp.

A bride price was originally a piece of agreement between two families to allow the union of their sons and daughters to start a family together.
Abi na mouth you want make your ancestors take show say two people na husband and wife? It was just an agreement that could have been written on a piece of paper with signatures by both parties involved to acknowledge that this two familes shared something in common. abi na for sand or or mud house dem go write the agreement?

Since all of una too get sense. What would you have done if you were in their shoes? What would you have in place of the African or Igbo traditional way of marriage? There was nothing like courts,pen or paper in those times.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2020
Shortyy:

You didn't want it to be a tribe war. But here you are laughing over a tribalistic comment.

What the Nairalanders wrote was so funny when I read it that I couldn't respond. The way he expressed ladies of a tribe...

I am sure you'd laugh too. grin
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Shortyy(f): 4:27pm On Oct 24, 2020
IamCookie:

What the Nairalanders wrote was so funny when I read it that I couldn't respond. The way he expressed ladies of a tribe...

I am sure you'd laugh too. grin
It wasn't funny dear.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 24, 2020
cupidhero:

Were you there when this particular law was created? Bride price in some parts where i come from from is 5 naira. Does this mean the bride was sold for 5 naira? How about dowries? Does this mean these same men also saw their boys as commodities? if your father,elders and uncles have bastardized and altered the culture of where ever you come from just to satisfy their own greed that is your personal or should i say family problem. Some greedy uncles and parents take advantage of these things especially when the parents of the girl is not well informed about the rites and traditions of where he comes from. That is why it is good for a man to know tradition so you won't fall prey to these things.
If bride prices are this high how come even the most poorest individuals in history all got married? Do you know any Father knowledgeable in tradition can actually take his daughter back by simply paying back the bride price to the man incase he thinks the man can't take good care of his daughter? It was also a means to dissolve the union between two people whose marriage didn't work. Before divorce laws and marital laws were written their had to be a means to show two people were married i don't see why it is too hard to grasp.

A bride price was originally a piece of agreement between two families to allow the union of their sons and daughters to start a family together.
Abi na mouth you want make your ancestors take show say two people na husband and wife? It was just an agreement that could have been written on a piece of paper with signatures by both parties involved to acknowledge that this two familes shared something in common. abi na for sand or or mud house dem go write the agreement?

Since all of una too get sense. What would you have done if you were in their shoes? What would you have in place of the African or Igbo traditional way of marriage? There was nothing like courts,pen or paper in those times.

Bride price is very low but same can't be said of marriage list. There's no where in Nigeria that shît is more than 30k and that's not a big money, what people are complaining about is the traditional marriage list which usually goes very high even upto 5m in some places especially in Igboland.

The individual you were responding to mistook bride price for marriage list.
How can you say you haven't sold the woman when you brought a list of 2m? Why pay such amount just to marry your fellow human being? Ridiculous!

Then as for the bride price, why is it even called bride "price"? It suggests the bride is being sold unless we want to deceive ourselves.
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by IamCookie(f): 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2020
Shortyy:

It wasn't funny dear.

Noted!
Re: Why Are Other Tribes So Concerned About The Expensive Igbo Bride Price Issue by Igbodicool(m): 8:58pm On Oct 24, 2020

Fulani ladies are prettier than Igbo ladies.and they are modest. Compare to Igbo ladies in all these ashawo joint. There face like Ugandan pigs. What pissed me off about Igbo ladies is that some Igbo ladies get mustache and iron leg like casava..their face come.be like afternoon demons....any Igbo lady can do anything for money.....
Beauty is in the eye of a beholder....for me, even dash, I cannot date a Igbo lady.
See hatred for tribe that doesn't know that you are existing.
If you don't quit hating, you will rot in hottest part of hell.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#### Christmas Giveaway #2: 5H Airtime Each For 20 People / See Hilarious Comments On Social Media As Price Noodles Drops From 18500 To14k / Advice About Breastpumps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.