Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard (58347 Views)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / Amotekun Killed University Of Ibadan Student, Attacked Union Leaders - NANS / Amotekun Is Leopard Not Cheetah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Demzlent(m): 5:44am On Jan 18, 2020
The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
So I am taking this opportunity to educate my fellow yorubas
Many of us believe that tiger is ekun, leopard is amotekun,this is wrong.
Tiger is an animal that is not found in africa,Yoruba land included,so our fore fathers did not come in contact with it,so they couldn't have given a name to it.
The correct translation is
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Amotekun means like 'ekun' because if you look at leopard and cheetah,they look alike only that leopard is bigger. Tiger doesn't look like these two , it has stripes not spots like the two
There is a Yoruba proverb that says ''asunkun pani bi amotekun' this is because of the stripes below the eyes of the cheetah
Thanks

178 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 6:28am On Jan 18, 2020
Ok

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Generalissimo75(m): 6:38am On Jan 18, 2020
You have a point ...But for now, Amotekun is whatever the elders say it is.

332 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 8:21am On Jan 18, 2020
Generalissimo75:
You have a point ...But for now, Amotekun is whatever the elders say it is.
Demzlent:
The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
Tiger is an animal that is not found in africa,Yoruba land included,so our fore fathers did not come in contact with it,so they couldn't have given a name to it.
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Amotekun means like 'ekun' because if you look at leopard and cheetah,they look alike only that leopard is bigger. Tiger doesn't look like these two , it has stripes not spots like the two
There is a Yoruba proverb that says ''asunkun pani bi amotekun' this is because of the stripes below the eyes of the cheetah
Thanks

This is wrong.

First off the name Amotekun has nothing to do physical semblance as such.

It literally translates - “one who knows as Ekun”.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

689 Likes 47 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by movement2020: 8:49am On Jan 18, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the lecture. Appreciate

136 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 8:58am On Jan 18, 2020
The OP is correct.

The only exception would be if Yorubas had actually encountered tigers and thus described them in the language.

Amotekun could also be panther (dictionary meaning).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Demzlent(m): 6:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

You are wrong mister,how could olden days Yorubas have a name for something they never know,ogidan is oriki for ekun
Ekun is respected not for its size but for its boldness and courage. I will even try and get the oriki ekun and post it here, you will see that it refers to leopard seeing its description

Ekun - leopard
Amotekun - cheetah
Owawa - lynx

'Amo' in the amotekun does not mean 'know' it means 'almost like'
So the name translates 'almost like leopard'. Which could be rendered leopard look alike

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Demzlent(m): 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2020
The picture is that of a cheetah not leopard

This settles it

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by LoydJ(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2020
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by wunmi590(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2020
lipsrsealed

At least even if the OP is wrong or right, I have learnt smethings from him.

I am fake yoruba man... embarassed

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by naijaguy123456(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Thanks
Do you want to argue with the elders ?
[img]https://i./3baT.gif[/img]

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by money121(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2020
Ok
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 9:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
@OP, Demzlent... While trying to show us and impress us that you're a true Yoruba. You were doing the opposite.
@Mods, Lalastica... Please edit the topic on the front page, it's misleading to everyone.

Venerable612 has done justice to the post. He explained exactly the way it is.
So for anyone who really wants to know.

In Yoruba,

Lion is Kìnìún
Tiger is Ẹkùn/Ògìdán
Cheetah is Ọ̀wàwà
Leopard is Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn

PS: For those who care to read, this is a comprehensive article on EKUN (Yoruba Article) - https://wol.jw.org/yo/wol/d/r36/lp-yr/101996845

Thank You!

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by YungMillionaire: 9:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Damidave1124(m): 9:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
Who cares? Weather it is a cheater or a leopard or even a tiger, all we know is that AMOTEKUN is here to stay...

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Roon9(m): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Ok
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Flexherbal(m): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Edu 101

I am learning, unlearning and relearning.

Men's performance herbs : https://www.nairaland.com/3152927/testimonies-100-herbal-tea-cures#46368527+weak+organ&sperm-issues

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Noted.

Thanks for the clarification OP.

Guess you were inspired by this our post below.....

A picture speaks more than a thousand words.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
I don't even understand again

5 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Guestuser: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
So?

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Ayoswit(f): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Well, I'm here to learn undecided

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by bigeliot(m): 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2020
Even if it's a cat. I support

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by crownwealth: 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2020
Irrelevant
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Zeinymira(f): 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2020
I don't agree with the op

Amotekun is here to stay whether those in the North likes it or not.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Passionate888: 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2020
Just provide security

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by BuhariLooter(m): 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2020
First of all in spite of combined battalions and local vigilantes in northern Nigeria, especially the north East, the security situations keep on collapsing.

I think the Amotekum won't survive for just one reason alone.

permitting Amotekum to stay means coded restructuring to We northerners and we sense it as threats to Nigeria and without our knowledge,if the West insisted of not abolish their ideas of Amotekum, we northerners might cut them off in terms of access for funding.Amotekun in its formation isn't different from IPOB's BSS, only that IPOB is not an elected representative of the people,
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by crownwealth: 9:11pm On Jan 18, 2020
bigeliot:
Even if it's a cat. I support

Even if Na RAT, I support also!

29 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

See Snake That Was Killed This Afternoon At The Front Of AAUA SENATE BUILDING / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / The Message University Of Liverpool Issued To Students Masturbating In Toilets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.