Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,162 members, 7,821,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard (58556 Views)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / Amotekun Killed University Of Ibadan Student, Attacked Union Leaders - NANS / Amotekun Is Leopard Not Cheetah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
TAO11:

It was in an early 2000s Yoruba movie where the Babalowo was pointing to the hide of the animal

yes, seems Nollywood is where people get their history and facts from nowadays.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Debaiz: 11:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
foleskay:

Even at that, lion and tiger have never met in the wild. They lives in different continent. Op might be right to some extent. Tiger is not found in Africa.

India has both wild Lions and tigers

But the op has that point they’re not found in Africa but that doesn’t mean the yorubas don’t know the tiger to be a fierce rival of a lion.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 11:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
cbrass:

Bro.. Have you encountered Leopard before? grin you can be a feet close to a Leopard and you won't know. Bro Ekun is not an animal you mes with. Yoruba doesn't have a name for Tiger. This is just misconception that we have carried foe years, I used to think Ekun was Tiger before

The link I included in my initial post is enough to clear anybody's doubt... But NO, you wont research, read and understand. Only to argue without thinking deeply.

It was stated there that Ekun (in yoruba) is the largest animal in the cat family. Since the Tiger is the largest in the cat family then why will Ekun (in yoruba) be a Leopard which is even much more smaller to a Lion, not to talk of Tiger in size..? THINK!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by 3moses: 11:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
aywhy93:
@OP, Demzlent... While trying to show us and impress us that you're a true Yoruba. You were doing the opposite.
@Mods, Lalastica... Please edit the topic on the front page, it's misleading to everyone.

Venerable612 has done justice to the post. He explained exactly the way it is.
So for anyone who really wants to know.

In Yoruba,

Lion is Kìnìún
Tiger is Ẹkùn/Ògìdán
Cheetah is Ọ̀wàwà
Leopard is Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn

PS: For those who care to read, this is a comprehensive article on EKUN (Yoruba Article) - https://wol.jw.org/yo/wol/d/r36/lp-yr/101996845

Thank You!

You did a good job

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
Debaiz:

But the op has that point they’re not found in Africa but that doesn’t mean the yorubas don’t know the tiger to be a fierce rival of a lion.

And how exactly do they know this?

Do Indian lions and tigers fight each other?

You're once again confusing tiger with leopard. Yorubas might have seen leopards and lions competing, but you interpet that to mean it was tigers they saw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_versus_lion#Competition_or_coexistence_in_the_Eurasian_wilderness
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 11:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
aywhy93:

Do your research properly then come back and quote me.

What research again o. Lol Is it me that is vast in Yoruba history or who? grin by the way how can you have a name for something you have never seen in your life.. Haba reason well nw. Yoruba language is dying and this is the resultant effect
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TAO11(f): 11:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

yes, seems Nollywood is where people get their history and facts from nowadays.

Lol... Yes, Nollywood Yoruba is some of the custodians of the Yoruba language and culture today.

If you have a different view and superior source for it, do not bolt. Bring it forward.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 11:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
I pondered on the choice of Leopard( Amotekun) for the Southwest security outfit. Why didn't they choose Lion(Kiniun) or Tiger( Ekun)?

I also pondered on why there is palpable fear of the project from some quarters. Could it be because of something they know and dread about the Leopard? So, I decided to check the Leopard out.

1. *Amotekun* is pound for pound one of the strongest of the big cats. Who wouldn't want a heavyweight on his side and who wouldn't be scared of the heavyweight?

*2.Amotekun* is the most elusive and secretive of the large fields. No noise and not easily predictable. Sure,this is a good quality for us in the Southwest and a scary quality for those criminals.

3. *Amotekun* is both a good swimmer and a good climber of trees. This means criminals cannot outsmart us at any front. Those using the waters to perpetrate evil are in trouble and those using bushes are in danger.

4. *Amotekun* as a carnivore is not a picky eater like the other cat families. It will eat any animal that comes across its path. Yes ooo,we don't want sophistication in the face of attacks...you come at us and we roast you. Enemies don't want that at all.

5. *Amotekun* is mostly nocturnal unlike the other cats. Sebi na night dem dey attack us before...now we don get security wey no dey sleep for night. Dem dey panic as we no choose Lion or Tiger wey sabi sleep for night.

6. *Amotekun* is known for its agility...can run up to 58km/h...can leap 6 meters(20 feet) horizontally and 3 meters(10feet) vertically!!!

#CPD.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by UnitedFront: 11:38pm On Jan 18, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

First off the name Amotekun has nothing to do physical semblance as such.

It literally translates - “one who knows as Ekun”.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa./ Idagiri

Hope this helps.

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:39pm On Jan 18, 2020
TAO11:

Lol... Yes, Nollywood Yoruba is some of the custodians of the Yoruba language and culture today.

Good for you.

TAO11:
If you have a different view and superior source for it, do not bolt. Bring it forward.

Go through the thread again but this time without a predisposition to ignorance.

everything that needs to be discussed has already been said.

But if you prefer nollywood as your source of knowledge, I have no problem with that. Meaning it's not my problem.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 18, 2020
The theory that yorubas cannot have a name for tiger because it is not native to Africa can only work if no single tribe in Africa has a name for Tiger. People adopt names for things that are not necessarily native to the culture. The theory of nativity is still prone to exceptions and you can't 100% say something does not exist somewhere except you have done a thorough and complete search of the area in a way you can't miss it which is practically impossible. Ai rin jina, lai r'abuke okere. Tiger may not be native to Africa, but that still doesn't rule out the possibility of encountering or seeing it at some point in time and at that point, ekun was adopted for tiger. Language is dynamic and as of the Yoruba of today, Ekun is the name for tiger and Amotekun the name for Leopard.
macof:

Tiger is not native to Africa
and what do you mean by "mere leopard"?

Leopard is a big gun amongst animals, one of the few if not only animal that can enter anywhere, be it by jumping, running, stalking, climbing or swimming

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 11:41pm On Jan 18, 2020
aywhy93:

The link I included in my initial post is enough to clear anybody's doubt... But NO, you wont research, read and understand. Only to argue without thinking deeply.

It was stated there that Ekun (in yoruba) is the largest animal in the cat family. Since the Tiger is the largest in the cat family then why will Ekun (in yoruba) be a Leopard which is even much more smaller to a Lion, not to talk of Tiger in size..? THINK!!!

The difference between you and I is, you rely on what someone posted on the internet while I had a first encounter with the hunters. The Tiger been the larger cat in the cat family is peculiar to the whole cat family in the world and not cat family in Yoruba land. The Oluode in Ibadan said that he is still trying to understand why they chose Amotekun instead of Ekun. He even went on to say thag Amotekun looks like Ekun. So does Tiger look Leopard? I repeat we don't have A name for Tiger grin

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 11:43pm On Jan 18, 2020
riddo2:
you are totally wrong. Tiger is ekun, leopard is amotekun and cheetah is eta. The fastest animal on land.
What of Ijakumo?
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:43pm On Jan 18, 2020
cbrass:

The difference between you and I is, you rely on what someone posted on the internet while I had a first encounter with the hunters. The Tiger been the larger cat in the cat family is peculiar to the whole cat family in the world and not cat family in Yoruba land. The Oluode in Ibadan said that he is still trying to understand why they chose Amotekun instead of Ekun. He even went on to say thag Amotekun looks like Ekun. So does Tiger look Leopard? I repeat we don't have A name for Tiger grin

Leopards are extinct in southern Nigeria, that's possibly why the name was changed to tiger. Neither animal is found there.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by UnitedFront: 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
cbrass:

What research again o. Lol Is it me that is vast in Yoruba history or who? grin by the way how can you have a name for something you have never seen in your life.. Haba reason well nw. Yoruba language is dying and this is the resultant effect

But there are English names for all animals even including the ones that couldn’t be found in their environment. Explain that

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
cbrass:

There's more to history and research than assumptions. The yorubas are known to have a wide historical movements, from Africa to North and South Americas and other countries in different continents, so assuming they have never seen a Tiger to give it that name EKUN is a dumb thought, or you probably think the Yorubas are just those people you see in Lagos, Ibadan and South Western Nigerian.

For even thinking Millions of Indigenous Yorubas who have existed before in the pasts doesnt know what they are doing, or have a wrong nomenclature in their local language shows one is a wise fool. There are enough and undebatable proofs that shows Ekun is tiger and Amotekun is Leopard and so on as stated in my initial post, just do your research. Let me even ask, which department of Yoruba studies in which University have you conducted the slightest research to even think you know anything about YORUBA..? And come up with your blabbing thoughts. You and Op just disappointed your forefathers.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

pound for pound, the leopard is the deadliest of the big cats.

I agree. And I believe Zoologists state this too

Leopards and Tigers are a lot more successful than lions in this survival game
And leopards are generally unchallenged in their domain unlike the lion that even honey badgers threaten
Or Tigers that monkeys mess with

No animal messes with the leopard
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:45pm On Jan 18, 2020
Hayelomo:
The theory that yorubas cannot have a name for tiger because it is not native to Africa can only work if no single tribe in Africa has a name for Tiger. People adopt names for things that are not necessarily native to the culture. The theory of nativity is still prone to exceptions and you can't 100% say something does not exist somewhere except you have done a thorough and complete search of the area in a way you can't miss it which is practically impossible. Ai rin jina, lai r'abuke okere. Tiger may not be native to Africa, but that still doesn't rule out the possibility of encountering or seeing it at some point in time and at that point, ekun was adopted for tiger. Language is dynamic and as of the Yoruba of today, Ekun is the name for tiger and Amotekun the name for Leopard.

Tiger cannot be Ekun unless Ekun is a generic name for big cat or panther.

When being specific, leopard is Ekun.

For those who want Ekun to be tiger, I'd say perhaps the knowledge of tiger came with people since there are no tigers in Africa. Somebody said African tigers should be considered invisible like God and angels, I think that's stretching the whole thing somewhat but whatever makes people happy?

Amotekun could be cheetah because ancient Yorubas are more likely to have seen cheetahs than tigers.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
Hayelomo:

I pondered on the choice of Leopard( Amotekun) for the Southwest security outfit. Why didn't they choose Lion(Kiniun) or Tiger( Ekun)?

I also pondered on why there is palpable fear of the project from some quarters. Could it be because of something they know and dread about the Leopard? So, I decided to check the Leopard out.

1. *Amotekun* is pound for pound one of the strongest of the big cats. Who wouldn't want a heavyweight on his side and who wouldn't be scared of the heavyweight?

*2.Amotekun* is the most elusive and secretive of the large fields. No noise and not easily predictable. Sure,this is a good quality for us in the Southwest and a scary quality for those criminals.

3. *Amotekun* is both a good swimmer and a good climber of trees. This means criminals cannot outsmart us at any front. Those using the waters to perpetrate evil are in trouble and those using bushes are in danger.

4. *Amotekun* as a carnivore is not a picky eater like the other cat families. It will eat any animal that comes across its path. Yes ooo,we don't want sophistication in the face of attacks...you come at us and we roast you. Enemies don't want that at all.

5. *Amotekun* is mostly nocturnal unlike the other cats. Sebi na night dem dey attack us before...now we don get security wey no dey sleep for night. Dem dey panic as we no choose Lion or Tiger wey sabi sleep for night.

6. *Amotekun* is known for its agility...can run up to 58km/h...can leap 6 meters(20 feet) horizontally and 3 meters(10feet) vertically!!!

#CPD.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
macof:

I agree. And I believe Zoologists state this too

Leopards and Tigers are a lot more successful than lions in this survival game
And leopards are generally unchallenged in their domain unlike the lion that even honey badgers threaten
Or Tigers that monkeys mess with

No animal messes with the leopard

Calm down Bro...

A single Hyena just effortlessly stole a Leopard's kill on Nat Geo Wild Right Now.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
Debaiz:

Which one is wild lion again grin can you show us some pictures
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 11:49pm On Jan 18, 2020
UnitedFront:

But there are English names for all animals even including the ones that couldn’t be found in their environment. Explain that

Because the English borrowed names for them

The English did not give the Tiger a name of an already known animal in their environment

Tiger etymological comes from Persian "Tigra"

Some have suggested Tiger be called "Taiga" in Yoruba

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 11:51pm On Jan 18, 2020
aywhy93:

Calm down Bro...

A single Hyena just effortlessly stole a Leopard's kill on Nat Geo Wild Right Now.

So you watch Natgeo wild and still think Ekun is Tiger... Did they tell you in Natgeo wild that Tiger is found in Africa let alone Nigeria?
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
UnitedFront:

They travelled and personally encountered and documented the creatures.

This was the question you responded to:

by the way how can you have a name for something you have never seen in your life.

So yes, they had seen the animals even if they weren't native to their environment.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TAO11(f): 11:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

Owawa is the honey-badger. It's very wild though. It will literally eat your balls for breakfast if you slip up cheesy

If you had cared to read my comment in context you would have understood my point.

My point is basically as follows:

1. That Owawa is NOT Cheetah. Not even close to it.

2. That Owawa is "semi-wild". Meaning not a wild animal as the likes of Lion, Tiger, Jaguar, Leopard, etc.

Now, I beleive I have broken it down enough for you to get my gist.

Moreover, a regular pig will "eat your balls for breakfast if you slip up". That doesn't make them "very wild" animals though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Basher8583: 11:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
salford1:

A simple googling does confirm they exist is the western part of Africa. The picture below also confirms that Chester's roamed the Nothern Yoruba country.

Stop decieving yourself. Check this out for your information.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_African_cheetah

Besides if we had it in Nigeria it shouldn't be a scarce animal at our zoos.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 11:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Hayelomo:

That is why a word needs to be thought of for tigers not using the word for leopard

Ẹkùn cannot be both tiger and leopard
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 11:55pm On Jan 18, 2020
cbrass:

So you watch Natgeo wild and still think Ekun is Tiger... Did they tell you in Natgeo wild that Tiger is found in Africa let alone Nigeria?

I'm sure you saw my last mention to you. Reply it with something meaningful.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 18, 2020
The "amo" in amotekun does not mean "looks like", it is rather " knows as", so amotekun literally means "knows as ekun". If it is looks like, it would be " bi ekun" not amotekun.

cbrass:

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by topeal(f): 11:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
[As in ehn grin i never knew the meaning of amotekun till today.quote author=wunmi590 post=85909518] lipsrsealed

At least even if the OP is wrong or right, I have learnt smethings from him.

I am fake yoruba man... embarassed[/quote]
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by nlPoster: 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2020
Hayelomo:
The "amo" in amotekun does not mean "looks like", it is rather " knows as", so amotekun literally means "knows as ekun". If it is looks like, it would be " bi ekun" not amotekun.

Looks like would be aribiekun, so you're correct.

Knows as implies told of or what we know as.

Like something was switched.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TAO11(f): 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2020
nlPoster:

Good for you.

Go through the thread again but this time without a predisposition to ignorance.

everything that needs to be discussed has already been said.

But if you prefer nollywood as your source of knowledge, I have no problem with that. Meaning it's not my problem.

It is you who are harboring and nursing sime grudge from elsewhere.

Listen again, You have commented negatively on an indigenous Yoruba source I cited in relation to an indigenous Yoruba topic.

What you should have done (and which I have requested you to do) is to present a more authoritative source which disagrees with mine.

Nay, you failed the second time. You rather referred me to some everyone else who do not necessarily agree with you or disagree with me.

Are you a jester?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Davido Is The Only Graduating Student In His Department / Egodi Uchendu: UNN ‘Witchcraft’ Conference Will Hold, Christians Can’t Stop It / Chigozie, IMSU Best Graduating Student Gets Employment, Car, Scholarship, & More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.