Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard (58439 Views)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / Amotekun Killed University Of Ibadan Student, Attacked Union Leaders - NANS / Amotekun Is Leopard Not Cheetah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 9:23pm On Jan 18, 2020
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AMOTEKUN2023: 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
Cobra - Sebe
Ox , Bull - Malu
Dog -Aja
Hedgehog -Ọya
Crocodile -Ọoni
Alligator -Ahọnrihọn
Pig -Ẹlẹdẹ
Vulture -Igun, Gunnugun, Gurugu, Akala
Wood-Carrier -Arigiṣẹgi
Hawks - Asa
Palm Bird -Ologiri
A species of Bird -Olofẹrẹ -
Sparrow -Ologoṣẹ
Peacock -Ọkin
Squirrel -Ọkẹrẹ
Rabbit -Ehoro
crickets -Okinrin
Pouch Rat -Okete
Wild Goat -Edu
A specie of Deer -Ekulu
Shark -Akurakuda
Rat/Mouse -Eku/Ekute
Earthworm -Ekolo
Sing Bird -Ẹyẹ-Orin
Partridge -Aparo
Horse -Ẹṣin
Donkey -Kẹtẹkẹtẹ
Camel -Rakunmi
Ass -Ibakasiẹ
Bat -Adan
Pelican -Ẹyẹ-Ofu
Water-bird -Osin
Dove -Adaba
Viper -Paramọlẹ
Sea-Gulls -Pẹju-pẹju
Yellow-haired Monkey -Sọmidọlọti/Oloyo
Sea-Bird -Yanja-yanja
Mosquito -Ẹfọn/Yanmu-yanmu
Raven -Ẹyẹ-Iwo
Snail-Igbin/Aginniṣọ
Freshwater Snail-Iṣawuru
Stay - Igala
Steer -Ẹgbọọrọ-Akọ Malu
Trout -Ẹja
Buffalo -Ẹfọn
Monkey-Ọbọ .
Ape -Ẹdun
Lizard-Alangba, -
Lobster-Alakasa
Boa-Constrictor Ere
Boar Ẹlẹdẹ-Igbo,
Gorilla, Baboon -Inaki, Inoki, Iro
Chimpanzee - Elegbede
Phython-Constrictor -Ojola
Electric Fish -Ojigi
Scorpion -Ojogan/Akeekee
Toad -Opolo
Antelope -Egbin
Tick/Flee -Eegbọn
Hippopotamus -Erinmi
Rhinoceros -Ẹranko bi Imado.
Reynard (Fox) -Kọlọkọlọ
Hyena/Wolf -Ikoko
Giraffe -Agbanrere
Cow Abo-Malu
Crab -Akan
Wild Pigeon-Oriri
Porcupine -Oorẹ, Eerẹ, Ojigbọn
Black-Ants -Tanpẹpẹ
Centipede -Tanisanko
Millipede -Ọkun
Frog -Konko
Chicken-Oromọ-Adiẹ
Nocturnal Animal-Ajao
Hound-Aja-Ọdẹ -
Elephant-Erin/Ajanaku
Sheep-Aguntan
Ram-Agbo
Woodcock -Agbe
White-feathered Bird -Lekeleke
Chamelon Ọga, Alagẹmọ
Crane-Bird -Akọ -
Parrot -Odidẹrẹ
Ostrich -Ogongo
White-Ant Ikan, Ikamudu
Tortoise-Ijapa
Tiger-Ẹkun
Lion-Kiniun
Pigeon-Ẹyẹle
Pig/Swine Ẹlẹdẹ
Eagle-Idi .
Guinea Fowl-Awo
Guinea Fowl-Ẹtu
Guinea Pig-Ẹmọ-Ile
Spider-Alantakun
Butterfly-Labalaba
Bee-Oyin
Cockroach -Ayan
Cricket-Irẹ
Crab -Akan
Housefly-Eṣinṣin/Eṣin
Gnats-Kokoro-Ojuọti
Wall-Gecko-Ọmọnle
Mouse-Eliri
Colt Young Horse-Agodongbo
Woodpecker-Akoko
Palm-Bird-Ẹga
Insect-Ipin
Red-Ant-Abonilejọpọn
Civet-cat-Ẹta
Zebra-Kẹtẹkẹtẹ-Abila -
Owl-Owiwi
Lice-Ina-Ori
Bed-bug-Idun
Jaguar-Amọtẹkun
Hind Abo-Agbọnrin
Cat-Ologinni
Turkey-Tolotolo
Swallow-Alapandẹdẹ
Kine -Abo-Malu
Stallion-Akọ-Ẹṣin
Gadfly-Iru, Eṣinṣin- Nla
Duck-Pẹpẹyẹ
Jackal-Akata

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by BabaO2: 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:

You are wrong mister,how could olden days Yorubas have a name for something they never know,ogidan is oriki for ekun
Ekun is respected not for its size but for its boldness and courage. I will even try and get the oriki ekun and post it here, you will see that it refers to leopard seeing its description

Ekun - leopard
Amotekun - cheetah
Owawa - lynx

'Amo' in the amotekun does not mean 'know' it means 'almost like'
So the name translates 'almost like leopard'. Which could be rendered leopard look alike
Oga, don't pollute our progress with your poor understanding.

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Funkybabee(f): 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
Won ni da ori wa RU ni Nairaland

Nairaland with confusion, u won't know who to follow

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Jaqenhghar: 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
Cheetah. Meaning they will run fast. Run away from the marauders. grin
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by damtan(m): 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
Stop confusing me the more
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Openbusiness: 9:25pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
[s]The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
So I am taking this opportunity to educate my fellow yorubas
Many of us believe that tiger is ekun, leopard is amotekun,this is wrong.
Tiger is an animal that is not found in africa,Yoruba land included,so our fore fathers did not come in contact with it,so they couldn't have given a name to it.
The correct translation is
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Amotekun means like 'ekun' because if you look at leopard and cheetah,they look alike only that leopard is bigger. Tiger doesn't look like these two , it has stripes not spots like the two
There is a Yoruba proverb that says ''asunkun pani bi amotekun' this is because of the stripes below the eyes of the cheetah
Thanks[/s]

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by mascot87(m): 9:25pm On Jan 18, 2020
Everyone is saying everyone is wrong so who is right?

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Kay25(m): 9:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
Tiger is an animal that is not found in africa,Yoruba land included,so our fore fathers did not come in contact with it,so they couldn't have given a name to it.
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Amotekun means like 'ekun' because if you look at leopard and cheetah,they look alike only that leopard is bigger. Tiger doesn't look like these two , it has stripes not spots like the two
There is a Yoruba proverb that says ''asunkun pani bi amotekun' this is because of the stripes below the eyes of the cheetah
Thanks
well with your fact i can't still accept that because naming does not really mean it must have to exist in Africa or Nigeria or even contact with it as long as you know or heard of it and have a description of it you can name it after what you think it is.cheetah is not amotekun it is called olomiosan

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Xisnin(m): 9:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Thanks
Wrong analysis.
Ekun is Tiger, an animal need not be local before having a local name and in science
parlance you don't rely on one evidence to make a conclusion.

Ekun gains its reputation by being ferocious and strong and even seen as a rival of the lion.
No person with knowledge of wildlife will compare a leopard to a lion in any way when an
an average lion could snap a leopard's neck if it got the chance.

Only the tiger can match a lion muscle for muscle and pound for pound.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Openbusiness: 9:27pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
[s]The picture is that of a cheetah not leopard

This settles it[/s]
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by demmy66: 9:27pm On Jan 18, 2020
Zeinymira:

Awwwn, thank you for this.
you are welcome.. hope myself and this poster has successfully convinced and not confused you on the amotekun wahalalistic brouhaha
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by SonofDevil: 9:27pm On Jan 18, 2020
Tiger didn't exist in Nigeria ,so yoruba don't have word for it

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by SonofDevil: 9:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
Xisnin:

Wrong analysis.
Ekun is Tiger, an animal need not be local before having a local name and in science

Ekun gains its reputation by being ferocious and strong and even seen as a rival of the lion.
No person with knowledge of wildlife will compare a leopard to a lion in any way when an

Tiger didn't exist in africa so your analysis is void

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by codesport(m): 9:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
Rule 5
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TheApologist: 9:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
BuhariLooter:
First of all in spite of combined battalions and local vigilantes in northern Nigeria, especially the north East, the security situations keep on collapsing.

I think the Amotekum won't survive for just one reason alone.

permitting Amotekum to stay means coded restructuring to We northerners and we sense it as threats to Nigeria and without out knowledge,if the West insisted of not abolish their ideas of Amotekum, wenortherners might cut them off in terms of access for funding.Amotekun in its formation isn't different from IPOB's BSS, only that IPOB is not an elected representative of the people,
Mr Looter why crying foul? Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn is here to stay and there's nothing you bloodthirsty Fulani and Northern terrorists can do about it, the mere fact it sends jittery to your minds is why it must stay. If your consciences are clean then you should feel at peace if you're not a criminal.

To the topic who says Yoruba don't have a name for tiger it's called ẹkùn while Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn is Leopard. go figure

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Thanks
Dear OP you just solved a mystery for me. I'm highly grateful.

For long I've wondered how our fathers have a word for tiger knowing fully well that they couldn't have had any encounter with tigers. Tigers aren't found in Africa so how come we have a Yoruba word for it?

I'm highly grateful for this info. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
SonofDevil:
Tiger didn't exist in Nigeria ,so yoruba don't have word for it
Cheetahs didn’t either..the most common big cat in this part of the continent was the leopard..some might mistake it for a cheetah but they are not the same..the leopard is bigger, stronger and more ferocious.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AMOTEKUN2023: 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
Ọ̀wàwà Is Cheetah

Amotekun is Jaguar
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by unbitchable(m): 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
SultanOfAbia:
It Means Afonjas Can Make Mouth
But When It's Time for Action
They Will Runaway Faster than Cheetah

like nimbo massacre

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by jeroba1(m): 9:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
this OP na Hausa. cheetah is owawa...tiger is ekun or ogidan..... leopard is AMOTEKUN...

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Thanks
Cheetahs weren’t found here in west Africa, well at least not in recent history...maybe they were in ages long forgotten..we may never know.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Crazeworld(m): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2020
Generalissimo75:
You have a point ...But for now, Amotekun is whatever the elders say it is.
lol grin
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2020
BuhariLooter:
First of all in spite of combined battalions and local vigilantes in northern Nigeria, especially the north East, the security situations keep on collapsing.

I think the Amotekum won't survive for just one reason alone.

permitting Amotekum to stay means coded restructuring to We northerners and we sense it as threats to Nigeria and without our knowledge,if the West insisted of not abolish their ideas of Amotekum, we northerners might cut them off in terms of access for funding.Amotekun in its formation isn't different from IPOB's BSS, only that IPOB is not an elected representative of the people,
which funding will you cut off?? What resources is coming from the North aside banditry, terrorism and insurgency

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Openbusiness: 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
Amotekun means TIGER, end of story!

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by SonofDevil: 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
AkpaMgbor:

Cheetahs didn’t either..the most common big cat in this part of the continent was the leopard..some might mistake it for a cheetah but they are not the same..the leopard is bigger, stronger and more ferocious.
cheetah , hyena,lion exist in Nigeria especially northern part of nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Zeinymira(f): 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
demmy66:
you are welcome.. hope myself and this poster has successfully convinced and not confused you on the amotekun wahalalistic brouhaha

Lol, you grin grin
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
TheApologist:
Mr Looter why crying foul? Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn is here to stay and there's nothing you bloodthirsty Fulani and Northern terrorists can do about it, the mere fact it sends jittery to your minds is why it must stay. If your consciences are clean then you should feel at peace if you're not a criminal.

To the topic who says Yoruba don't have a name for tiger it's called ẹkùn while Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn is Leopard. go figure
How can you have a name for something that your forefathers didn’t see? There are no tigers in the entire African continent, not one...

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Ekealterego: 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Xisnin:

Wrong analysis.

Wrong analysis.... People from the SE also mix these things up... Some for long also refer to the Tiger as Agu.. Which is very wrong!
Tigers didn't exist anywhere in Africa, neither did west Africans travel all the way to Russia and India, in the olden days to come back with a name of an animal that didn't exist anywhere on their continent.

Mind you, we have these names in our folklores... Another pointer! So tell me, how did you come up with names of animal in your folklore that existed in far away Russia and India?

Leopards, Lions and Cheetah are native to Africa. So it is not possible that Ekun will be Tiger. Not possible!

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Basher8583: 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Demzlent:
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Thanks

The sad part is cheetahs do not originate from west Africa so I don't know where our Yoruba brothers want to see one to give it a name

"The cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus; /ˈtʃiːtə/) is a large cat of the subfamily Felinae that occurs in North, Southern and East Africa, and a few localities in Iran. It inhabits a variety of mostly arid habitats like dry forests, scrub forests, and savannahs."
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by DimIsaac10(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Abeg Cheetah is Owawa... All diz small small children sef.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
Timileyin1234:

What is tiger
Yoruba don't have a word for tiger. They don't know what's a tiger, they've never seen it.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court / Veronica Ezeh-Chioma, UNIZIK Student, Dies Of Gas Explosion (pics) / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.