Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard (58489 Views)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / Amotekun Killed University Of Ibadan Student, Attacked Union Leaders - NANS / Amotekun Is Leopard Not Cheetah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 6:36am On Jan 19, 2020
hotwax:
mumu people full everywhere...cheetah does not exists in rain forest, they are mostly in deserts.

yorubas in the rain forest, an ideal habitat of a tiger...

common sense..arun opolo...

yorubas are known to over hunt wild life...tiger may have gone existing...

they are many eulogies describing ekun as stronger than lion kiniun...

can leopard be stronger than lion?

My believe too. We have many Yoruba words and proverbs describing it.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by VanTee20(m): 6:47am On Jan 19, 2020
13october:

Learn don't just put anything online
Lion. kiniun
Tiger. Ekun
Leopard ikooko
Cheetah. Amotekun

Ìkookò is wolf, not leopard.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by VanTee20(m): 6:53am On Jan 19, 2020
TAO11:

Ikooko is not even in the cat family.

It's an animal in the dog family --- It's Wolf to be precise.

Let's be guided.

Correct ma'am.

Please o, is Ogidan a lion or a tiger? I believe it's a lion but people here are saying it's a tiger because Sunny Ade sang "Ogidan oni se barber". How does that point to the fact that Ogidan means tiger?
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by MistadeRegal(m): 6:57am On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

First off the name Amotekun has nothing to do physical semblance as such.

It literally translates - “one who knows as Ekun”.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

kiss
I wish I can hug this your reply. That's how some people bring up misleading posts all because they themselves have lost contact with the Yoruba nativity dialect.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by ibswagz: 6:59am On Jan 19, 2020
For people saying tiger � doesn't have a Yorùbá name let me analyse/explain everything to you.

Tiger � : Ẹkùn/Ògìdán

Leopard � : Amọtẹkun

Cheetah : Ọ̀wàwà

Make research so u won't mislead others.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by hresso: 7:00am On Jan 19, 2020
ibswagz:
For people saying tiger � doesn't have a Yorùbá name let me analyse/explain everything to you.

Tiger � : Ẹkùn/Ògìdán

Leopard � : Amọtẹkun

Cheetah : Ọ̀wàwà

Make research so u won't mislead others.
l

What's the yoruba name for bear and kangaroo?
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by hresso: 7:18am On Jan 19, 2020
Jeremiah 5:6

Therefore a lion from the forest will attack them, a wolf from the desert will ravage them, a leopard will lie in wait near their towns to tear to pieces any who venture out, for their rebellion is great and their backslidings many.

Nítorí náà, kìnnìún láti inú igbó yóò kọlù wọ́n,
ìkookò aginjù yóò sì pa wọ́n run,
ẹkùn yóò máa ṣe ibùba sí ẹ̀bá ìlú yín
ẹnikẹ́ni tí ó bá jáde ni yóò fàya pẹ́rẹpẹ̀rẹ,
nítorí àìgbọ́ràn yín pọ,
ìpadàsẹ́yìn wọn sì pọ̀.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 19, 2020
BuhariLooter:
First of all in spite of combined battalions and local vigilantes in northern Nigeria, especially the north East, the security situations keep on collapsing.

I think the Amotekum won't survive for just one reason alone.

permitting Amotekum to stay means coded restructuring to We northerners and we sense it as threats to Nigeria and without out knowledge,if the West insisted of not abolish their ideas of Amotekum, wenortherners might cut them off in terms of access for funding.Amotekun in its formation isn't different from IPOB's BSS, only that IPOB is not an elected representative of the people,

you northern illiterate cut us off from our oil money? I swear you better go back to your groundnut farm, where are you getting the money in the first place?
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TAO11(f): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2020
VanTee20:

Correct ma'am.

Please o, is Ogidan a lion or a tiger? I believe it's a lion but people here are saying it's a tiger because Sunny Ade sang "Ogidan oni se barber". How does that point to the fact that Ogidan means tiger?

All Yoruba sayings about Ogidan points to the fact that Ogidan is Kiniun

The Yorubas believe that "Kiniun L' oba Eranko" --- meaning: "The Lion is the king of all beasts."

In contrast to the foregoing, the Yorubas also add: "Ogidan Ol'olaaju" --- meaning: "Ogidan: the noblest (of all beasts)."

The superlative equivalence gives the answer away very apparently.

Ogidan is Kiniun --- Lion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by wunmi590(m): 7:40am On Jan 19, 2020
topeal:
[As in ehn grin i never knew the meaning of amotekun till today.quote author=wunmi590 post=85909518] lipsrsealed

At least even if the OP is wrong or right, I have learnt smethings from him.

I am fake yoruba man... embarassed

Good morning,

Lol, you are my partner as a fake yoruba grin
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by tomju(m): 7:41am On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

NO. You are wrong
in Youruba Amotekun means..............................................................see me running away o.
But seriously whether Cat, Leopard,Tiger, Cheetah, Jaguar, Puma, all join! How will OPERATION AMOTEKUN survive to protect the west from security challenges? This is the real issue not just the meaning of the name. Thanks though for enlightening us.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by wunmi590(m): 7:41am On Jan 19, 2020
kay29000:

Me too. Lol

Good morning,

Honestly

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Nasir123(m): 7:46am On Jan 19, 2020
[quote author=BuhariLooter post=85909646]First of all in spite of combined battalions and local vigilantes in northern Nigeria, especially the north East, the security situations keep on collapsing.

I think the Amotekum won't survive for just one reason alone.

permitting Amotekum to stay means coded restructuring to We northerners and we sense it as threats to Nigeria and without our knowledge,if the West insisted of not abolish their ideas of Amotekum, we northerners might cut them off in terms of access for funding.Amotekun in its formation isn't different from IPOB's BSS, only that IPOB is not an elected representative of the people,[/quote

You better go and seat down!
You're sounding broken ]
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by themanderon: 7:55am On Jan 19, 2020
It behoves the Yoruba elders to tell us which is which.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by mapet: 8:00am On Jan 19, 2020
aywhy93:
@OP, Demzlent... While trying to show us and impress us that you're a true Yoruba. You were doing the opposite.
@Mods, Lalastica... Please edit the topic on the front page, it's misleading to everyone.

Venerable612 has done justice to the post. He explained exactly the way it is.
So for anyone who really wants to know.

In Yoruba,

Lion is Kìnìún
Tiger is Ẹkùn/Ògìdán
Cheetah is Ọ̀wàwà
Leopard is Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn

PS: For those who care to read, this is a comprehensive article on EKUN (Yoruba Article) - https://wol.jw.org/yo/wol/d/r36/lp-yr/101996845

Thank You!

In fact I was wondering how the OP intended to teach Yoruba and making assertions with no singular reference, but picture illustrations.

Some of these NL folks reduce the value intellectual teachings and studies to some kindergarten-mode illustrations.....

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by thatigboman: 8:01am On Jan 19, 2020
We have that problem in igbo language too. Agu is said to be tiger, but some say it's leopard or cheetah
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 8:10am On Jan 19, 2020
TAO11:

All Yoruba sayings about Ogidan points to the fact that Ogidan is Kiniun

The Yorubas believe that "Kiniun L' oba Eranko" --- meaning: "The Lion is the king of all beasts."

In contrast to the foregoing, the Yorubas also add: "Ogidan Ol'olaaju" --- meaning: "Ogidan: the noblest (of all beasts)."

The superlative equivalence gives the answer away very apparently.

Ogidan is Kiniun --- Lion.

You're right. Only an ignorant will discredit you.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Debaiz: 8:13am On Jan 19, 2020
macof:
I have never heard of lions killing leopards
As far as I know they avoid each other just as the Yoruba saying which you mentioned goes "Kaka ki kiniun s’akapo EKUN, won a yaa s’ode won loto’to ni"
Leopards are just as silent as the tiger in hunting

Yoruba would not have been able to observe Tigers because tigers do not exist anywhere in Africa

So all sayings about Ẹkùn refer and are consistent with the leopard

Watch Nat geo wild, you’d get enough info. My 7year old nephew will tell you lions kill leopards. Even if it’s to steal their prey let alone when it steps into lion territory.

Tiger is the only cat family that do not fear the lion though they avoid each other where they meet.

The fact that it never existed in africa doesn’t mean yorubas won’t have name for it.

Sharks(Akurakuda) and octopus(eja elesemejo) are not renowned much in west African waters coupled with the average Yoruba mans fear of water but yorubas have name for it

Sea gulls(Peju Peju) are birds of Southern Africa and European waters, yorubas have a name for it

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Debaiz: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2020
nlPoster:

And how exactly do they know this?

Do Indian lions and tigers fight each other?

You're once again confusing tiger with leopard. Yorubas might have seen leopards and lions competing, but you interpet that to mean it was tigers they saw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_versus_lion#Competition_or_coexistence_in_the_Eurasian_wilderness

Your link has answered that question in bold in the affirmative.

Because yorubas have it as proverb doesn’t mean they’ve seen it. Language evolve and brings meaning from other languages. Yorubas romance with the Hausas and Arabs(have same name for Tigers and lions) is long standing. Alubosa is derived from Hausa and Arabic.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Debaiz: 8:21am On Jan 19, 2020
cbrass:

Which one is wild lion again grin can you show us some pictures

You’re trying to be smart and funny but your ignorance is displaying the opposite. Google wild lion then you’d get your picture and information.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:24am On Jan 19, 2020
nlPoster:

They either saw a tiger during their travels or described them when they migrated to Africa/Nigeria.

People are insisting tiger means Ekun but they refuse to explain where tigers were sighted in west Africa.

The way Yoruba use the work Ẹkun suggests that it's an animal they're familiar with.

They have many proverbs suggesting it.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:26am On Jan 19, 2020
Timileyin1234:

Where did they culled this proverb
Kaka ki kiniun se akapo ekun onikaluku a se ode lótòtò
It’s only tiger that can stand with lion in fight

The proverb doesn't suggest that they're similar in size. It only shows that a lion will never succumb to any other animal.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:26am On Jan 19, 2020
Timileyin1234:

Tiger is ekun
Cheetah and leopard are amotekun cos both look like tiger

They don't look like tiger abeg.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 8:27am On Jan 19, 2020
kay29000:

Wow! Thanks for this breakdown. Yoruba language and culture really is Rich.

But what do you have to say about what the OP said about Tigers not present in Nigeria? This is a fact. There are no Tigers in Nigeria, so where did our forefathers see Tiger to give it a name?

Firstly, because we do not have tigers now, except, perhaps, in the zoo, does not mean they never had an encounter or cross-cultural tales about tigers in the Olden days.

Again, I doubt there are cheetahs in Nigeria. They are as well predominantly in Asia like Tigers, so why did the OP suggests the name is Amotekun?

The truth is Words are fungible. You use words for things you have seen or never have seen. That’s why we can use words like God Angels and even Dinosaurs intelligibly even without having encountered one.

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by kay29000(m): 8:28am On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

Firstly, because we do not have tigers now, except, perhaps, in the zoo, does not mean they never had an encounter or cross-cultural tales about tigers in the Olden days.

Again, I doubt there are cheetahs in Nigeria. They are as well predominantly in Asia like Tigers, so why did the OP suggests the name is Amotekun?

The truth is Words are fungible. You use words for things you have seen or never have seen. That’s why we can use words like God Angels and even Dinosaurs intelligibly even without having encountered one.

Great explanation
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 8:29am On Jan 19, 2020
GemUnique:
In the process of you tryna correct, there are errors
Owawa isn't cheetah (I suspect you got that info form Yorubablog)
Owawa (I don't know the English name, but certainly not Cheetah) is not even close to big cat family
not too small animal, has white furs that run from its back to tail, makes its sound at night.
You can ask a Yoruba Hunter if you wanna know more about it.
Tiger can't possibly have a Yoruba name as it's not found here in Nigeria.
What I think is Ekun and Ogidan are just Yoruba Adjectives which by time are used to qualify the Animal (Tiger) due to it's courage and Size

Are cheetahs found in Nigeria?

Have you encountered God, Angels, Ghosts?

Why do you have Yoruba names for all of the above?

Your logic is flawed.

And whether it’s an adjective or not - you should kindly teach your Yoruba kids, if you are one, these things as well because our heritage is fast disappearing.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 8:31am On Jan 19, 2020
nlPoster:

Where did you see tigers in Africa?

Were you alive in the 16th-19th centuries?

You just chose to believe all that the whites tell you about Africa.

Africa is not a country. It’s a vast land of multiple cultures that is now almost fizzling out and forgotten.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:42am On Jan 19, 2020
Yoruba language...

Ekun, Ogidan - Tiger
Amotekun - Leopard
Owawa - Cheetah
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Timileyin1234(m): 8:48am On Jan 19, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

The proverb doesn't suggest that they're similar in size. It only shows that a lion will never succumb to any other animal.
Don’t u get it. I’m talking of their strength
2 captains can’t sail one boat
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Jeamillz2020(m): 8:49am On Jan 19, 2020
Demzlent:
The launching of operation amotekun has exposed the fact that we yorubas are losing touch with our language to the extent that our leaders are calling leopard amotekun.
So I am taking this opportunity to educate my fellow yorubas
Many of us believe that tiger is ekun, leopard is amotekun,this is wrong.
Tiger is an animal that is not found in africa,Yoruba land included,so our fore fathers did not come in contact with it,so they couldn't have given a name to it.
The correct translation is
Leopard - ekun
Cheetah - amotekun
Amotekun means like 'ekun' because if you look at leopard and cheetah,they look alike only that leopard is bigger. Tiger doesn't look like these two , it has stripes not spots like the two
There is a Yoruba proverb that says ''asunkun pani bi amotekun' this is because of the stripes below the eyes of the cheetah
Thanks
your stupidity is branded make sure you see your doctor. How old are you ganself. Chaii kids of nowadays
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Jeamillz2020(m): 8:50am On Jan 19, 2020
sunnyeinstein:
Yoruba language...
Ekun, Ogidan - Tiger Amotekun - Leopard Owawa - Cheetah
gbayi Omo yoruba ni iwo yi
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by ayyoshert: 9:10am On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

Ogidan olola iju,
Ogidan de ako omo ni ila lai labe.
That's some of the the panegyrics salutations of ogidan otherwise known as leopard also known in common yoruba as Ekun, Amotekun is Cheetah my brother not Owawa. Owawa or Ofafa is a tree climbing animal, like a smallish bear, not dangerous. Hmmm Yoruba, we are losing touch, and the wrong is hailed as right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Study In Ghana - Admission Is Opened This January: / Girl Picked From The Slum Of Makoko To A School In Abuja At N1M Fee Annually / Private Universities In Nigeria And Their Current Tuition Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.