Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi (49175 Views)

NNPC: Northern Nigeria Petroleum Company By Bayo Oluwasanmi - Sahara Reporters / Deacon Femi Adesina, A Shameless Sanballat By Bayo Oluwasanmi / 2023: Why Yoruba Will Produce President After Buhari – Clarke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:24am On Jan 22, 2020
ChoCho54:
..IF YOU DONT WANT AMOTOEKUN, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT.

I was disappointed you didn't tell us what you will be willing to trade Amotoekun for.
Don't mind him. He's acting the part of a bastard. It's common for them to sell their father's house to buy new clothes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Arubajagz: 9:34am On Jan 22, 2020
Worrying about you will be the worst waste of my time, if I ever had time to waste on you bro. Get busy with more beneficial activities in life than this your dementia that rises every time you see the name OSINBAJO on Nairaland.

Racoon:
Sorry bro.Anything that rocks your boat but my opinions are never programmed to fit your anticipated warped narratives.Abeg swerve.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Racoon(m): 9:46am On Jan 22, 2020
Arubajagz:
Worrying about you will be the worst waste of my time, if I ever had time to waste on you bro. Get busy with more beneficial activities in life than this your dementia that rises every time you see the name OSINBAJO on Nairaland.
So you're a troll/monitoring spirit? Why not make your own input and leave VP Osinbajo to speak for himself? After all this is a public forum.Get a life bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 22, 2020
Dereformer:
Yoruba people, una good morning ooooooo.

It took you over 50 years to see what the Igbos saw in 1967.

You see why Igbos are naturally ahead of you.

You say wetin?

In 1953 when Northern Nigerians were beginning to consider secession from the Nigerian colony that would soon be a nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe gave a speech before the caucus of his political party, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) in Yaba, Nigeria on May 12, 1953. That speech, while not disallowing secession, suggested that there would be grave consequences if the Northern region became an independent nation.

I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!

Sources:

Nnamdi Azikiwe, Zik: A Selection from the Speeches of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Governor-General of the Federation of Nigeria formerly President of the Nigerian Senate formerly Premier of the Eastern Region of Nigeria (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1961).

https://www.nairaland.com/583562/nnamdi-azikiwes-speech-threat-north

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by gidgiddy: 9:55am On Jan 22, 2020
SLAP44:
What Ojukwu sat down and saw in 1966 is what some people are still climbing the skyscrapers at Broad Street to look for?

The one that pained me pass, was seeing an erudite professor at Law, a SAN and a respected pastor standing behind a person with zero educational value in a national election. It broke a lot of hearts. I started doubting the smartness they attribute to SW.

Even small Nnamdi Kanu saw this since 2013 and started screaming it, when we are sure you guys are serious and not a threat to get appeased with 2023 presidency, we will come out and support you.

Dont be too sure their eyes have opened. Once Amotekun and 2023 presidency have been conceded to them, they will go back to singing the tune of "one Nigeria"

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 22, 2020
I agree. It's time the Yorubas formed a nation of their own.

Over 50 million people. That's huge enough to drive the socioeconomic life of any nation.

One language, one ideal, one belief, one culture, one historical inheritance, one progenitor. The makings of a great nation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by YingyangNg: 10:45am On Jan 22, 2020
FrLukas:
I agree. It's time the Yorubas formed a nation of their own.

Over 50 million people. That's huge enough to drive the socioeconomic life of any nation.

One language, one ideal, one belief, one culture, one historical inheritance, one progenitor. The makings of a great nation.

Easier said than done bro

3 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by GMbuharii: 10:48am On Jan 22, 2020
meavox:

LET'S BE ADULT ABOUT THIS. UNITY IS THE WORD FOR ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE SOUTH AND MB - WE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE. PLEASE DON'T ALLOW FULANI TO USE YOU AGAINST YORUBA OR ANY SOUTH AND MB TRIBES. OTHERWISE YOU TOO ARE NOT SEEING IT.

Guy shut up abeg..you yorubas are annoying.

Which evil word did you guys not use against Nnamdi Kanu?

Let me not just say what's on my mind to you...just enjoy your beloved one Nigeria.

Lzaa immhotep can you imagine this?!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by GMbuharii: 10:52am On Jan 22, 2020
Coneheaded structures are going nowhere,who born them?!?!

Let them hear a small Fulani boy throw banger now vvvv

grin grin grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Taba21: 11:00am On Jan 22, 2020
meavox:

LET'S BE ADULT ABOUT THIS. UNITY IS THE WORD FOR ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE SOUTH AND MB - WE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE. PLEASE DON'T ALLOW FULANI TO USE YOU AGAINST YORUBA OR ANY SOUTH AND MB TRIBES. OTHERWISE YOU TOO ARE NOT SEEING IT.

Abeg let the West and East should forget about real south, when they were fighting against the son of the Delta, 9 years ago the northerners weren't there
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by ojokolax: 11:03am On Jan 22, 2020
Apparently you think Amotekun is a secessionist movement hence the need to compare it to the various events that have taken place in the eastern part of the country. There is no need to overthink a thing that has been clearly stated by the Chairman of the SW Governors forum; Amotekun is a security outfit to compliment the efforts of the already existing outfits across the country.
As for the person of VP Osinbajo, good thing you know he's an erudite professor at Law, a SAN and a respected pastor. at least all hope is not lost, some of your smartness may yet return. this is what he's been up to recently https://tribuneonlineng.com/amotekun-what-the-presidency-may-do/ which should lead to a meeting coming up sometime before next week

SLAP44:
What Ojukwu sat down and saw in 1966 is what some people are still climbing the skyscrapers at Broad Street to look for?

The one that pained me pass, was seeing an erudite professor at Law, a SAN and a respected pastor standing behind a person with zero educational value in a national election. It broke a lot of hearts. I started doubting the smartness they attribute to SW.

Even small Nnamdi Kanu saw this since 2013 and started screaming it, when we are sure you guys are serious and not a threat to get appeased with 2023 presidency, we will come out and support you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by LZAA: 11:44am On Jan 22, 2020
GMbuharii:

Guy shut up abeg..you yorubas are annoying.

Which evil word did you guys not use against Nnamdi Kanu?

Let me not just say what's on my mind to you...just enjoy your beloved one Nigeria.

Lzaa immhotep can you imagine this?!
Once a conehead....grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by AgentNairaland(f): 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2020
I See The Collapse Of Nigeria Before 2023..God Told Me This
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 22, 2020
YingyangNg:

Easier said than done bro

I know bro. Nothing good ever comes easy.

If we suffer the pains of secession and eventual nation building from scratch, maybe, just maybe our children will be able to enjoy the gains of a great O'odua nation with a solid foundation instead of risking lives and properties all the time because we were unfortunate to have been joined to a people who don't value life.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by DaBullIT(m): 3:30pm On Jan 22, 2020
ChoCho54:
..IF YOU DONT WANT AMOTOEKUN, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT.

I was disappointed you didn't tell us what you will be willing to trade Amotoekun for.

Agboriotejoye:

Amotekun is not a bargaining chip. You don't bargain with security. Not everything is politics. Don't be an Esau

Born of the same parents?

Nobody said anything about literally trading Amotekun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by ChoCho54(f): 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2020
DaBullIT:

Artful dodger. Ok.
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:08pm On Jan 22, 2020
DaBullIT:

You seem to be the odd one
Check urself
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by catalan15(m): 6:10pm On Jan 22, 2020
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by dandollaz: 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2020
You are going nowhere since your brain is full of cow milk before.Igbo kwanu

2 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Mazikic(m): 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2020
Sometimes I wonder why the SW is still interested in "One Nigeria"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by xynerise: 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2020
One Nigeria don dey tire some people grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Tchange1(m): 6:16pm On Jan 22, 2020
Afonjas! good morning.

When IBO's talk please listen.

11 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Amotekun777: 6:16pm On Jan 22, 2020
DCmonster:
Crocodile will soon smile on ewedu gobbling cowards. You now want oduduwa Republic after betraying Biafrans and your southern brothers in 2015 election. Yorubas should know that they will never have AMOTEKUN NOR ODUDUWA REPUBLIC and neither will they ever get the presidency in 2023. The Fulani will continue to rule until you yorubas feel the pain Igbos felt and see the vision they saw years ago. Bunch of educated illiterate cowards.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by donprinyo(m): 6:17pm On Jan 22, 2020
Nonsense peeps. Sabotage full in your peoples blood.

5 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by tstx(m): 6:20pm On Jan 22, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by Babysheart(f): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
Abegi.

One thing you do and you gain attention in Nigeria is either you are violent or you have the instrument of violence. It's always worked. With NADECO, Obasanjo came. With MEND, Goodluck Jonathan came. With Boko Haram, ah... Let's give it to Northerners o, so we can rest. Now, the Afonjas are baring their cameleon fangs at the country against 2023. But we are wiser. Nothing nothing for them. All it takes is for the Federal Government to proscribe them, call them a terrorist or unlawful group or simply flush them into the latrine with one Operation Smelly Fart. And that's the end.

11 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by ForeThinker: 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
sweetonugbu:
Secession= TRISON my hand no dey ooo

Turn the photo sideways

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by money121(m): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
Ok
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by foleskay(m): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
shocked

I think the nairaland owners too are pro amotekun. They've been moving The amotekun hullaballo to front page since.
Re: Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi by lonelydora: 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2020
Dereformer:
Yoruba people, una good morning ooooooo.

It took you over 50 years to see what the Igbos saw in 1967.

You see why Igbos are naturally ahead of you.

You dey mind them?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Idoma People Welcome David Mark Today In Otukpo, Benue State(pics / Kelechi Ndukwe To Command A US Navy Guided Missile Destroyer / The Man Who Made Nnamdi Kanu's Shoe In Aba (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.