Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (617712 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (432) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sonnie10: 2:02am On Aug 06, 2020
kalu61:
See assignment. Hahah
No be small thing.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Zagee: 8:38am On Aug 06, 2020
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by nna777: 9:45am On Aug 06, 2020
nna777:
Novavax has gone from $7 in March to $139 as at yesterday. (Just an observation. I don't have the stock).

Moderna has started phase 3 clinical trials. Watch out for gains today.

Entered Novavax @139. Now @173. Anytime I enter a stock that has already taken off, 5 days max am out.
I intend to exit by Friday. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 10:30am On Aug 06, 2020
Fancy some earnings play?
Etsy and Fastly had a great result announced after trading hours yesterday.
Fastly came from an EPS of -$0.16 to $0.02 while Etsy powered from an EPS of $0.14 to $0.75!
Let's see how the market reacts today.

Here are just announced earnings and yet to be announced earnings for this week.
Notice that some are before and others after trading hours announcements.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 11:02am On Aug 06, 2020
I just felt I should say that the market could experience a downturn soon. The crashing dollar, upcoming elections and possibility of finding a vaccine soon could throw things off balance and spark a massive selloff from tech stocks. The current market appears to be outperforming last year. This is very unusual in the middle of a pandemic and analysts have suggested that this is a signal that there is a bubble that is about to burst.

I see myself moving away from single stocks and biotech arenas into the more generalised field of ETFs. Highly geared, high equity beta and negative EPS stocks are likely to be worst hit from my experience. I am not being alarmist, just felt like saying this and to make us all prepared for what is to come.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:07am On Aug 06, 2020
Jayjaycee18:
Breaking News:
Teladoc ($TDOC) and Livongo ($LVGO) Health to merge in deal valued at $18.5 billion. Based on the terms of the deal, $LVGO shareholders will receive 0.592x shares of $TDOC plus $11.33 in cash per share owned.

Furthermore, while $TDOC shareholders will own about 58% of the combined entity, $LVGO shareholders will own the remaining 42%. The combination "creates a global leader in consumer centered virtual care".

Jayjaycee18:
The share prices of both $TDOC and $LVGO are down since the announcement and no one can tell the absolute bottom prices at the moment.

$LVGO shares will be diluted and the cash being paid for each share may not adequately compensate for the ongoing loss in its share price value. Hence, this deal seems to favour $TDOC shareholders.

You can run the numbers and see if it's better to sell $LVGO now based on price appreciation or hold in anticipation of the cash that $TDOC will pay for each of your shares, while risking further dips.

Sometimes, the market does not immediately react to expectations not because something is wrong with the fundamentals of the stocks in view, but because Mr. Market just does his thing to prove once in a while that he has a mind of his own. He eventually does the right thing in the end as always though.

So I will not be surprised if both Livongo and Teladoc begins to gain today.
Livongo has earnings report to make after trading hours today, and I think their fundamentals were getting better from previous reports.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 11:13am On Aug 06, 2020
Nice one. Blowout earnings from both of these stocks. Fastly's ($FSLY) proprietary edge-computing platform earned it customers like Spotify, Shopify, Slack, Pinterest, Tik Tok and Stripe.

$PLUG seems to be another stock that has some legs to run with clients like Walmart ($WMT), Amazon $AMZN and more recently, the UK’s third-largest supermarket retailer, ASDA. In fact, $AMZN is not only a customer but also a substantial shareholder of $PLUG. Currently watching $PLUG in 3D.

OakPearl:
Fastly came from an EPS of -$0.16 to $0.02 while Etsy powered from an EPS of $0.14 to $0.75!

Here are just announced earnings and yet to be announced earnings for this week.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Vitra: 11:29am On Aug 06, 2020
Good day everyone, I am a newbie to stocks. I have gone through most of the pages and it is quite overwhelming. I don't even know where to start from. Can anyone suggest a place to start? Books? Articles? Videos? Suggestions on affordable stocks to buy as a beginner? Etc. Thanks all.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2020
Thanks for the information. However, this is an unconfirmed news about MTN planning to sell its non-core assets, which include Jumia and IHS Towers, in order to reduce debt and fund expansion into new markets. Let's see how this pans out.

Zagee:
MTN seeks to sell $243mn stake in Jumia Technologies https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/08/mtn-seeks-to-sell-243mn-stake-in-jumia-technologies/
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Care4: 11:44am On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:
Please sell your SPCE now. Virgin Atlantic just filed for bankruptcy. I wish SpaceX has gone public, that or Blue origins could have been a better space exploration stock to buy because they are getting contracts from NASA and other government military agencies. The video from SPCE that came out a few days ago was not even from a real space craft as I read. Don't take my word for it, do your due diligence.

As for Jumia, I never jumped on it- not even now, because I feel it is a falling knife. You should not catch a falling knife. Even if it gets to 100, I won't regret. Please don't take my word for it without due diligence.

I jumped out when my gains was reversing from around 60% to 33 %. I lost about 30 of my initial gain. Quite painful.
I did only 15% on Jumia and refused to look at it again despite the enticing rise.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 11:57am On Aug 06, 2020
I am holding $LVGO o, I’m not going anywhere grin
OakPearl:

Sometimes, the market does not immediately react to expectations not because something is wrong with the fundamentals of the stocks in view, but because Mr. Market just does his thing to prove once in a while that he has a mind of his own. He eventually does the right thing in the end as always though.

So I will not be surprised if both Livongo and Teladoc begins to gain today.
Livongo has earnings report to make after trading hours today, and I think their fundamentals were getting better from previous reports.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 11:59am On Aug 06, 2020
Hmmmm..... this is actually interesting & possibly true undecided. Let’s keep watching embarassed
OvaSabi1:
I just felt I should say that the market could experience a downturn soon. The crashing dollar, upcoming elections and possibility of finding a vaccine soon could throw things off balance and spark a massive selloff from tech stocks. The current market appears to be outperforming last year. This is very unusual in the middle of a pandemic and analysts have suggested that this is a signal that there is a bubble that is about to burst.

I see myself moving away from single stocks and biotech arenas into the more generalised field of ETFs. Highly geared, high equity beta and negative EPS stocks are likely to be worst hit from my experience. I am not being alarmist, just felt like saying this and to make us all prepared for what is to come.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2020
This is a valid comment and that's why one should only invest in fundamentally strong companies with capacity to bounce back after a sell-off or a general lull in the market. The stock market is neither a lottery nor a gambling exercise. Investing should not be left to chance, luck or bets but should only be done after pain-staking research and due diligence incorporating both fundamental (FA) and technical analysis (TA).

Even though i see nothing wrong with investing in ETF's, it should be noted that a market sell-off would also affect ETFs as much as individual stocks, since ETFs track stock index. One key advantage of an ETF is that pooled funds from several investors are passively managed to purchase stocks that are bundled together, thereby giving investors the benefit of a diversified portfolio.

Choosing to either invest in ETFs, mutual funds or individual stock investing depends on an investor's preferred strategy. One could also have a mix of ETFs and mutual funds in a portfolio. For me, I like to be in charge of my portfolio, in order to take sole responsibility, bear any risks i may face in the market and decide when/how i buy, sell or hold a stock.

OvaSabi1:

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2020
Glad that you made some profit, even though it ended up being reduced due to the sudden dip after $SPCE's poor earnings report (ER). Good to clearly note ones objective(s) while investing in a stock.

Once you reach that target price or are close to the price and you notice the stock stagnating, better to sell and take your gains. Our gains in any stock remain paper profits, until one sells and receives the proceeds either in the trading wallet or bank account.

Care4:

I jumped out when my gains was reversing from around 60% to 33 %. I lost about 30 of my initial gain. Quite painful.
I did only 15% on Jumia and refused to look at it again despite the enticing rise.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2020
Vitra:
Good day everyone, I am a newbie to stocks. I have gone through most of the pages and it is quite overwhelming. I don't even know where to start from. Can anyone suggest a place to start? Books? Articles? Videos? Suggestions on affordable stocks to buy as a beginner? Etc. Thanks all.

Step 1. Decide what you want out of the stock market. Do you want to be a day trader or a long term investor? Please take note that the glamour of day trading is enticing but it has been proven many times that day traders make less returns than long term investors.
2. What kind of risk are you willing to take? Remember that high risks mean higher gains or losses. How do you determine risky stocks? I use fundamental analysis. A company with a high Beta, high debts and negative EPS are some of the metrics I use to measure risk. I also compare quarterly returns, search for earnings call days and set an alarm on my calendar. For example, I have a covid stock $OSUR that I intend to offload today due to their unfavourable earnings. Also, they deviated from their Covid-19 testing plan. This is even one of the reasons I am selling it. Please, look at a company's 1, 2, 3, 7, 10 year stock gains before buying it.
3. You have to download Yahoo Finance, search for "Dave Ramsey on stocks" on YouTube and watch everything he has to say about stocks. Use these websites: The Mortely Fool, Market Watch and Globe News Wire have provided great analysis. Find the Twitter pages of the single stocks you want to buy. Not just this, search for hashtags of the "ticker" of this company. Open an account with Reddit and follow these sub reddits: investing, wall street bets, penny stocks and stocks. If you can understand what he says, follow Jim Cramer. But he flip flops, just get the information you want out of all the jargon.
4. Be a disciplined person. Don't be easily swayed by people claiming to be making extraordinary returns. My target is to make above the rate of inflation and some change. If I exceed this target, it is a bonus I am grateful for. I am happy for anyone who makes far above me, it is not a competition because we're all trying to survive. Never ever feel like you have missed out on any opportunity when you hear people celebrating their gains in a particular stock. Another opportunity will arise.
5. Stay away from derivatives for now. Stuff like options, short selling, futures etc are highly speculative and are akin to gambling.
6. Do not be tempted to place all of your savings into a single stock or into the stock market. Always have an emergency fund that you can access from your atm machine. On a day that you don't expect, your car will break down, you will fall sick and your grandma in the village will swallow razor blade. Withdrawal from the stock market will erase all your gains for that year.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:34pm On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:

Step 1. Decide what you want out of the stock market. Do you want to be a day trader or a long term investor? Please take note that the glamour of day trading is enticing but it has been proven many times that day traders make less returns than long term investors.
2. What kind of risk are you willing to take? Remember that high risks mean higher gains or losses. How do you determine risky stocks? I use fundamental analysis. A company with a high Beta, high debts and negative EPS are some of the metrics I use to measure risk. I also compare quarterly returns, search for earnings call days and set an alarm on my calendar. For example, I have a covid stock $OSUR that I intend to offload today due to their unfavourable earnings. Also, they deviated from their Covid-19 testing plan. This is even one of the reasons I am selling it. Please, look at a company's 1, 2, 3, 7, 10 year stock gains before buying it.
3. You have to download Yahoo Finance, search for "Dave Ramsey on stocks" on YouTube and watch everything he has to say about stocks. Use these websites: The Mortely Fool, Market Watch and Globe News Wire have provided great analysis. Find the Twitter pages of the single stocks you want to buy. Not just this, search for hashtags of the "ticker" of this company. Open an account with Reddit and follow these sub reddits: investing, wall street bets, penny stocks and stocks. If you can understand what he says, follow Jim Cramer. But he flip flops, just get the information you want out of all the jargon.
4. Be a disciplined person. Don't be easily swayed by people claiming to be making extraordinary returns. My target is to make above the rate of inflation and some change. If I exceed this target, it is a bonus I am grateful for. I am happy for anyone who makes far above me, it is not a competition because we're all trying to survive. Never ever feel like you have missed out on any opportunity when you hear people celebrating their gains in a particular stock. Another opportunity will arise.
5. Stay away from derivatives for now. Stuff like options, short selling, futures etc are highly speculative and are akin to gambling.
6. Do not be tempted to place all of your savings into a single stock or into the stock market. Always have an emergency fund that you can access from your atm machine. On a day that you don't expect, your car will break down, you will fall sick and your grandma in the village will swallow razor blade. Withdrawal from the stock market will erase all your gains for that year.

Endorsed!

8 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:37pm On Aug 06, 2020
U.S. weekly jobless claims just reported total 1.186 million, vs 1.423 million expected.
I have learnt, tiny details like this can determine the mood of the market.
This report portends a positive mood at least for today.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by delgook14(m): 1:54pm On Aug 06, 2020
Why has $FASTLY been tanking very hard despite positive ER?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2020
I have been wondering too.
Looking to buy in the dip though lol
delgook14:
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2020
delgook14:

For the obvious reason that TikTok is Fastly's largest customer, accounting for 12% of revenue in the first half of 2020.

Recall that Trump threatened to ban TikTok if its Chinese owner, ByteDance, doesn't sell TikTok to an American company by September 15th.
This also explains the reason it has 100% analysts sell rating for now. It has nothing to do with the fundamentals of Fastly.
But again, September 15 is barely a month away, and Microsoft is one of several American companies already in talks to buy the company, so it is most likely going to escape that ban once a deal is struck.

My take is the busniess is excellent and will continue to do great as there is a shift in paradigm to the "new normal".
The fall is temporary and should be taken advantage of by buying the bottom of this dip.
I bought at $77 to hold and possibly increase for long term.
I have two choices to chose from:
1. Sit and wait till this dip bottoms out to buy more
Or
2. Sell at the current $108 and hope it dips further to buy the bottom
Am going with choice number 2! grin

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lafuria1(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2020
delgook14:

Because 12% of their revenue from the last 3 month is from bytedance the owners of tiktok.

And we all know the political tension associated with tiktok. The uncertainty around it is affecting Fastly. If tiktok goes, 12% revenue for fastly goes.

This above is major reason analyst are giving.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2020
delgook14:

The best way I can explain it is just imagine your favourite food and what can make you reject this food. Either you are full from eating previously or you're sick.
No matter how much you pump some stocks with good news and other fundamentals, they cannot go above a certain level. Again the company may be "sick" because it is still loss making. Also, it seems it hasn't been assigned a Beta value yet. This is another sign of weak "immunity" for stocks. Again it is a young company. Many times when earnings call day is approaching, the stock price is overvalued due to anticipation. In this case, you can say that the stock is full from eating previously.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2020
Currently less than $90 pre market.
Just hold buddy wink
OakPearl:

For the obvious reason that TikTok is Fastly's largest customer, accounting for 12% of revenue in the first half of 2020.

Recall that Trump threatened to ban TikTok if its Chinese owner, ByteDance, doesn't sell TikTok to an American company by September 15th.
This also explains the reason it has 100% analysts sell rating for now. It has nothing to do with the fundamentals of Fastly.
But again, September 15 is barely a month away, and Microsoft is one of several American companies already in talks to buy the company, so it is most likely going to escape that ban once a deal is struck.

My take is the busniess is excellent and will continue to do great as there is a shift in paradigm to the "new normal".
The fall is temporary and should be taken advantage of by buying the bottom of this dip.
I bought at $77 to hold and possibly increase for long term.
I have two choices to chose from:
1. Sit and wait till this dip bottoms out to buy more
Or
2. Sell at the current $108 and hope it dips further to buy the bottom
Am going with choice number 2! grin

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 2:45pm On Aug 06, 2020
Arburtus Biopharma ($ABUS)....paytience.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 2:58pm On Aug 06, 2020
Plug Power Inc. ($PLUG) 2Q2020 Earnings Report
$PLUG reported a loss of $8.7 million at market open today, which signifies a loss of 3 cents on a per-share basis (EPS). The results beat expectations of a loss of 9 cents per share. Revenue was $68.1 million and also exceeded forecasts of $57.4 million. Share price is up 16% already.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yom2(m): 3:18pm On Aug 06, 2020
OakPearl:

where do u guys find all tickers? Chaka is dissapointing
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 4:08pm On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:

Nobody is going to shut down the economy, vaccine or not.

The market would continue its momentum till close to elections. This has always been the case every election year. And with the Feds saying they would so whatever it takes, no wahala.

As per tech, anybody buying into tech should be doing so for long term. But if you wan sell , no wahala , e go give us juicy pickings.

Anything that would limit face to face communications/transactions, reduce money spent on renting office or paying people ; or the energy (fossil fuels) is here for the long term.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 4:11pm On Aug 06, 2020
afroxyz:

Nobody is going to shut down the economy, vaccine or not.

The market would continue its momentum till close to elections. This has always been the case every election year. And with the Feds saying they would so whatever it takes, no wahala.

As per tech, anybody buying into tech should be doing so for long term. But if you wan sell , no wahala , e go give us juicy pickings.

Anything that would limit face to face communications/transactions, reduce money spent on renting office or paying people ; or the energy (fossil fuels) is here for the long term.

I didn't say anything is shutting down the economy and I am talking to short term investors who will be taken aback by a potential loss.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Olalekank(m): 4:41pm On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:

I didn't say anything is shutting down the economy and I am talking to short term investors who will be taken aback by a potential loss.
Hi Ovasabi1.
Two hands up for you

What’s your opinion on short term investors?
What’s your preference, short or long term?

For new investors, you mentioned that it is not a good time to invest in stocks as a result of prices on a high. What do you suggest we do?

Thanks thanks
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 5:05pm On Aug 06, 2020
OakPearl:

Endorsed!

Thanks boss, I am enjoying the learning process and thank you for always sharing your experience and knowledge here.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Care4: 5:09pm On Aug 06, 2020
@oversabi @oakpearl

i was had plans to hold PLUG for mid-long term but for some reason, it went red for a long time and today, it's out of the red zone in my portfolio. I'm tempted to cash out.
my question, what's the longterm outlook? Any advise? All risk are mine.

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (432) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.