Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (612255 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yom2(m): 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2020
afroxyz:

Nobody is going to shut down the economy, vaccine or not.

The market would continue its momentum till close to elections. This has always been the case every election year. And with the Feds saying they would so whatever it takes, no wahala.

As per tech, anybody buying into tech should be doing so for long term. But if you wan sell , no wahala , e go give us juicy pickings.

Anything that would limit face to face communications/transactions, reduce money spent on renting office or paying people ; or the energy (fossil fuels) is here for the long term.
don't mind him. This is,not naija market
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by akinssan(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2020
Care4:
@oversabi @oakpearl

i was had plans to hold PLUG for mid-long term but for some reason, it went red for a long time and today, it's out of the red zone in my portfolio. I'm tempted to cash out.
my question, what's the longterm outlook? Any advise? All risk are mine.

PLUG till have bullish tendencies for me, l entered today.
MACD line is crossing the MACD signal above 0 line while the RSI is above 50 @73
while the 25 EMA is above 50 EMA ..So its till bullish if no negative news.

All my own opinion, DD required. cool

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Penboy: 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2020
akinssan:

MACD line is crossing the MACD signal above 0 line while the RSI is above 50 @73

The chart also saw $plug break resistance at $10.
Dont you think a pull back is looming?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 6:12pm On Aug 06, 2020
Jayjaycee18:
Arburtus Biopharma ($ABUS)....paytience.

Lol that stock burnt me... it’s rising in anticipation of earnings tomorrow tho
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Care4: 6:57pm On Aug 06, 2020
akinssan:

Noted with thanks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Care4: 6:59pm On Aug 06, 2020
Penboy:

I'm actually looking at the gap up. Price movement tries to correct/fill before continuing its movement. Looks like it is still holding well for now.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Penboy: 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2020
$Hznp

All Q2 earnings were above expectations.
I expect to ride for a while.

DD anyways.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by hancock(m): 7:51pm On Aug 06, 2020
$APPL $MSFT $QQQ setting my portfolio on fire today
I wish every market day can be like this grin
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Penboy: 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2020
hancock:
$APPL $MSFT $QQQ setting my portfolio on fire today
I wish every market day can be like this grin

Apple with All time high. Didn't get into it. Probably waiting for stock split

I'm with $MSFT. But I haven't seen anything exciting yet.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lafuria1(m): 9:41pm On Aug 06, 2020
Datadog earning report was good nothing negative, all indices beat analyst estimation, the value is done minus 15%, .

If you own datadog, a set back but no issues, fundamentals is good

I'm waiting for analyst to explain what happened. To me it's simply a sell off.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 10:03pm On Aug 06, 2020
As in I was wondering why it’s -$14 post market. This market is really funny lol.
Can never predict accurately
lafuria1:
Datadog earning report was good nothing negative, all indices beat analyst estimation, the value is done minus 15%, .

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 10:06pm On Aug 06, 2020
yom2:
don't mind him. This is,not naija market

I am not a him and I didn't say that the market will be shut down.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skymoore1004: 10:10pm On Aug 06, 2020
lol, pls @yom2 take corrections.
Mama no vex, you’re appreciated here especially by me!

Thank you for all you do!
OvaSabi1:

I am not a him and I didn't say that the market will be shut down.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 10:14pm On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:

The best way I can explain it is just imagine your favourite food and what can make you reject this food. Either you are full from eating previously or you're sick.
No matter how much you pump some stocks with good news and other fundamentals, they cannot go above a certain level. Again the company may be "sick" because it is still loss making. Also, it seems it hasn't been assigned a Beta value yet. This is another sign of weak "immunity" for stocks. Again it is a young company. Many times when earnings call day is approaching, the stock price is overvalued due to anticipation. In this case, you can say that the stock is full from eating previously.

Skymoore1004:
As in I was wondering why it’s -$14 post market. This market is really funny lol.
Can never predict accurately

lafuria1:

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 10:42pm On Aug 06, 2020
Olalekank:

Hi Ovasabi1.
Two hands up for you

What’s your opinion on short term investors?
What’s your preference, short or long term?

For new investors, you mentioned that it is not a good time to invest in stocks as a result of prices on a high. What do you suggest we do?

Thanks thanks

Short term investing can make you prone to emotional stock picking, greed, FOMO (fear of missing out), JIJO (jump in, jump out). Instead of investing in yourself to improve your earning capacity, in order to create multiple streams of income, short term investing gives you the believe and impression that it can be your only source of income. It can discourage a person to diversify their portfolio because you will prefer to put all your money on one stock so that you can make excessive millions at once, instead of building it up gradually.

In a wall street journal study from the 2000s a blindfolded monkey was given a dart to pick stocks over a period of time and it outperformed seasoned financial analysts who were investing in single stocks. What this means is that short term investing in single stocks is almost like gambling.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB991681622136214659

It is potentially addictive and can turn you into a vengeful person who is trying to get back at the market for making you lose your money.
However, there's a rule that if you want to go short term on single stocks, you can dedicate a small portion of your portfolio into that.

For me, there's no best time to invest because I believe that if you're in it long term, the compounding effect will offset most downturns. But if you are seeking short term returns, it may be better to be a bit certain about some fundamentals.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Vitra: 11:16pm On Aug 06, 2020
OvaSabi1:

Step 1. Decide what you want out of the stock market. Do you want to be a day trader or a long term investor? Please take note that the glamour of day trading is enticing but it has been proven many times that day traders make less returns than long term investors.
2. What kind of risk are you willing to take? Remember that high risks mean higher gains or losses. How do you determine risky stocks? I use fundamental analysis. A company with a high Beta, high debts and negative EPS are some of the metrics I use to measure risk. I also compare quarterly returns, search for earnings call days and set an alarm on my calendar. For example, I have a covid stock $OSUR that I intend to offload today due to their unfavourable earnings. Also, they deviated from their Covid-19 testing plan. This is even one of the reasons I am selling it. Please, look at a company's 1, 2, 3, 7, 10 year stock gains before buying it.
3. You have to download Yahoo Finance, search for "Dave Ramsey on stocks" on YouTube and watch everything he has to say about stocks. Use these websites: The Mortely Fool, Market Watch and Globe News Wire have provided great analysis. Find the Twitter pages of the single stocks you want to buy. Not just this, search for hashtags of the "ticker" of this company. Open an account with Reddit and follow these sub reddits: investing, wall street bets, penny stocks and stocks. If you can understand what he says, follow Jim Cramer. But he flip flops, just get the information you want out of all the jargon.
4. Be a disciplined person. Don't be easily swayed by people claiming to be making extraordinary returns. My target is to make above the rate of inflation and some change. If I exceed this target, it is a bonus I am grateful for. I am happy for anyone who makes far above me, it is not a competition because we're all trying to survive. Never ever feel like you have missed out on any opportunity when you hear people celebrating their gains in a particular stock. Another opportunity will arise.
5. Stay away from derivatives for now. Stuff like options, short selling, futures etc are highly speculative and are akin to gambling.
6. Do not be tempted to place all of your savings into a single stock or into the stock market. Always have an emergency fund that you can access from your atm machine. On a day that you don't expect, your car will break down, you will fall sick and your grandma in the village will swallow razor blade. Withdrawal from the stock market will erase all your gains for that year.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Madisonsqua(m): 3:33am On Aug 07, 2020
OvaSabi1:

Step 1. Decide what you want out of the stock market. Do you want to be a day trader or a long term investor? Please take note that the glamour of day trading is enticing but it has been proven many times that day traders make less returns than long term investors.
2. What kind of risk are you willing to take? Remember that high risks mean higher gains or losses. How do you determine risky stocks? I use fundamental analysis. A company with a high Beta, high debts and negative EPS are some of the metrics I use to measure risk. I also compare quarterly returns, search for earnings call days and set an alarm on my calendar. For example, I have a covid stock $OSUR that I intend to offload today due to their unfavourable earnings. Also, they deviated from their Covid-19 testing plan. This is even one of the reasons I am selling it. Please, look at a company's 1, 2, 3, 7, 10 year stock gains before buying it.
3. You have to download Yahoo Finance, search for "Dave Ramsey on stocks" on YouTube and watch everything he has to say about stocks. Use these websites: The Mortely Fool, Market Watch and Globe News Wire have provided great analysis. Find the Twitter pages of the single stocks you want to buy. Not just this, search for hashtags of the "ticker" of this company. Open an account with Reddit and follow these sub reddits: investing, wall street bets, penny stocks and stocks. If you can understand what he says, follow Jim Cramer. But he flip flops, just get the information you want out of all the jargon.
4. Be a disciplined person. Don't be easily swayed by people claiming to be making extraordinary returns. My target is to make above the rate of inflation and some change. If I exceed this target, it is a bonus I am grateful for. I am happy for anyone who makes far above me, it is not a competition because we're all trying to survive. Never ever feel like you have missed out on any opportunity when you hear people celebrating their gains in a particular stock. Another opportunity will arise.
5. Stay away from derivatives for now. Stuff like options, short selling, futures etc are highly speculative and are akin to gambling.
6. Do not be tempted to place all of your savings into a single stock or into the stock market. Always have an emergency fund that you can access from your atm machine. On a day that you don't expect, your car will break down, you will fall sick and your grandma in the village will swallow razor blade. Withdrawal from the stock market will erase all your gains for that year.

Can u please explain a little bit more on the bolded part......
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by abraolas1: 3:54am On Aug 07, 2020
OvaSabi1:

one of the Best Advice I have received so far as a newbie too..... thanks and God bless you real Good for this
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by akinssan(m): 5:32am On Aug 07, 2020
Penboy:

AT $10.73 now we should be asking if its a fake breakout or not but time will tell.
For pull back, Mr. Market knows best. cool
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 10:47am On Aug 07, 2020
This will affect the mood of the market negatively today except something else crops up to change the mood.

President Donald Trump has signed executive orders that ban US businesses from doing any transactions with the Chinese owners of TikTok and WeChat.

The announcement comes as Microsoft (MSFT) is in talks to buy the US arm of TikTok owner Bytedance, ahead of the 15 September deadline set by the US president.

The new orders targeting TikTok owner, Bytedance and WeChat owner Tencent, where signed late on Thursday and will come into place in 45 days.

Trump’s order cites legal authority from the National Emergencies Act and International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

The Trump administration said that WeChat and TikTok pose “significant” threats to US residents, and that TikTok in particular may spread disinformation beneficial to the Chinese Communist party.

The text of the order alleges that TikTok’s data collection could allow China to track US government employees to carry out corporate espionage or gather information that can be used to blackmail them.

On Thursday, the US senate voted unanimously to approve a bill prohibiting federal workers from using TikTok on government-issued devices, amid fears of data collection.

WeChat’s parent, Tencent owns a 48% share of Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite, as well as investments in a number of US companies such as Spotify (SPOT), Tesla (TSL) and Reddit.

The question now is just as Fastly's share price was affected negatively yesterday, will Spotify and Tesla suffer similar experience today?
We watch.
N/B: China had banned major US tech companies like Google and Facebook from operating in their country some years ago.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 12:23pm On Aug 07, 2020
Anything that has to do with China I have been avoiding it lately. @ least till after the elections.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 12:33pm On Aug 07, 2020
afroxyz:
Anything that has to do with China I have been avoiding it lately. @ least till after the elections.

My brother, BABA is a good buy ooo. Hope you own some of it?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 1:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:

My brother, BABA is a good buy ooo. Hope you own some of it?

I no follow for that bus o. I don't trust the Orange Man. Besides BABA just opened at the Hong Kong market. Perhaps they are trying to hedge against outcomes in the US? Anything with China I'm just watching from the sidelines because Trump is betting heavily on the China narrative to win the election. But las las we go all dey alright
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:38pm On Aug 07, 2020
Care4:
@oversabi @oakpearl

i was had plans to hold PLUG for mid-long term but for some reason, it went red for a long time and today, it's out of the red zone in my portfolio. I'm tempted to cash out.
my question, what's the longterm outlook? Any advise? All risk are mine.

What was your original plan for buying it?
Long or short term?
If short term, take your profits and move.
If for long term, the long term prospect is good; keep the faith unless anything materially damaging to the future of their earnings emanates.
If your initial plan has changed, follow your heart and be at peace.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by InaNla(f): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
Greetings to the bosses, any recommendation lately... smiley
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by InaNla(f): 2:18pm On Aug 07, 2020
Why is the message being hidden now?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 4:07pm On Aug 07, 2020
Madisonsqua:

Can u please explain a little bit more on the bolded part......

Making money from investing relies on 2 Cs. Contributions and compounding. The idea behind how people like Buffet made their money is by contributing with little to no withdrawals. Once you withdraw you have interrupted the process.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2020
InaNla:
Why is the message being hidden now?

What message please?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by InaNla(f): 4:13pm On Aug 07, 2020
OvaSabi1:

What message please?

It seems bot deleted @OakPearl post...

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66