Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (612997 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2020
OvaSabi1:

I'm down 2.94% today. It's not too high because 1/3 of my portfolio is a bond. It's a bloodbath and the currency thing makes it worse cry I'm in sifia pains.

Seems a good balance you've got in your portfolio.
Techs are the hardest hit.

If you know what you bought, this won't matter in 3-5 years.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lafuria1(m): 5:07pm On Sep 04, 2020
What happened yesterday and today might be a first time experience for some of you guys. Days like this happens. I remember how I had fever back in march, I provoke sell all my stocks. For three weeks I didn't want to hear anything like stock market, lol.

I came back, got better, found this thread, learnt new things. Always remember that stocks that have over 500% or 2000% return from their initial price offer didn't have it all smooth over the years.

Like we advice, do what you are comfortable it

8 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by tot(f): 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2020
lafuria1:
What happened yesterday and today might be a first time experience for some of you guys. Days like this happens. I remember how I had fever back in march, I provoke sell all my stocks. For three weeks I didn't want to hear anything like stock market, lol.

I came back, got better, found this thread, learnt new things. Always remember that stocks that have over 500% or 2000% return from their initial price offer didn't have it all smooth over the years.

Like we advice, do what you are comfortable it

Well said. Exactly my point a few weeks ago.

Also to add, anyone actively trading short-term should know their risk profile and set up money management rules accordingly. You can't afford to assume the only way is up ---> expect the best BUT prepare for the worst.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DeLaRue: 5:22pm On Sep 04, 2020
OakPearl:

If you know what you bought, this won't matter in 3-5 years.

Actually, you can't be sure of that.

It's possible that many of these companies whose share prices have been flying in recent months may never reach those prices again, ever. Equally, the share may recover and reach new highs in the future. My point is, we simple don't know.

If you were around during the 'dot com' era in the early 90s I think, share prices rose like hell. Any company connected with the internet saw their shares prices skyrocket for months on end. No one saw a crash coming.

Then...prices crashed. Many in Europe, America & Asia who, just days earlier, were counting their share price gains in thousands of pounds & euros saw it all evaporate in the twinkle of an eye. Many became bankrupt. Some committed suicide.

Many of the companies that 'experts' said would rule the world in the early 90s (just like Apple, Tesla are today) have collapsed and disappeared. Same thing will happen to many of today's 'hot' companies.

Technology is very dynamic, new companies and ideas are being incubated in labs, research centres, in people's rooms & garages as we speak. There's a good chance neither Apple, Tesla or Facebook will be the leading companies in 10 years. Don't say it can't happen. We have seen this sort of thing before.

Even here in Nigeria, I believe First Bank shares sold for about N50 a few years ago, but today it's often closer to N5.

Getting involved in shares like Fastly, Tesla etc without experience (and even with experience) can cause severe financial harm.

Many of the people rushing enthusiastically to trade foreign shares probably don't have the necessary experience to anticipate & manage the risk.

All they see is your enthusiastic share recommendations and perception of success. Some are going to borrow money, sell property etc to join in the rush for gains without understanding the risks. And you and I know, even for the experienced, managing share trading risks can be difficult. The truth is a lot of people will make some money, but many more are likely to lose money.

I can see you're trying to do good, but if I were you, I would want to avoid the moral burden of unknowingly leading many inexperienced people into this (very) risky business. I would start by not recommending specific stocks. In the choppy waters stocks are entering into now, too many will lose money, serious money.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DeLaRue: 5:28pm On Sep 04, 2020
Sorry, that was probably too long.

Been observing this thread for months.

I just thought I needed to sound a warning.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OvaSabi1(f): 5:38pm On Sep 04, 2020
DeLaRue:

It's possible that many of these companies whose share prices have been flying in recent months may never reach those prices again, ever. Equally, the share may recover and reach new highs in the future. My point is, we simple don't know.

If you were around during the 'dot com' era in the early 90s I think, share prices rose like hell. Any company connected with the internet saw their shares prices skyrocket for months on end. No one saw a crash coming.

Then...prices crashed. Many in Europe, America & Asia who just days earlier were counting their share price gains in thousands of pounds & euros saw it all evaporate in the twinkle of an eye. Many became bankrupt. Some committed suicide.

Many of the companies 'experts' said would rule the world in the early 90s (just like Apple, Tesla are today) have collapsed and disappeared. Same thing will happen to many of today's 'hot' companies.

Technology is very dynamic, new companies and ideas are being incubated in labs, research centres, in people's rooms & garages as we speak. There's a good chance neither Apple, Tesla or Facebook will be the leading companies in 10 years. Don't say it can't happen. We have seen this sort of thing before.

Even here in Nigeria, I believe First Bank shares sold for about N50 a few years ago, but today it's often closer to N5.

Getting involved in shares like Fastly, Tesla etc without experience (and even with experience) can cause severe financial harm.

Many of the people rushing enthusiastically to trade foreign shares probably don't have the necessary experience to anticipate & manage the risk.

All they see is your enthusiastic share recommendations and perception of success. Some are going to borrow money, sell property etc to join in the rush for gains without understanding the risks. And you and I know, even for the experienced, managing share trading risks can be difficult. The truth is a lot of people will make some money, but many more are likely to lose money.

I can see you're trying to do good, but if I were you, I would want to avoid the moral burden of unknowingly leading many inexperienced people into this (very) risky business. I would start by not recommending specific stocks. In the choppy waters stocks are entering into now, too many will lose money, serious money.

I had same views as you but I was told to stop discouraging people. People posting pictures of their gains only made me uncomfortable for inexperienced folks. This thread is called stock pick alerts and is serving its purpose. People will continue to recommend single risky stocks and people will FOMO and YOLO in without doing due diligence.
To conclude, yes, you should not make any decisions with certainty in an uncertain future.
Before you enter into the stock market, pay all your debts, have an emergency fund, develop yourself and find other streams of income and you may be able to average your total costs.

6 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2020
Not recommending stocks, but MSFT, VOO and AMZN may be very good buys, even with all the reds.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by tot(f): 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2020
DeLaRue:

Not at all too long. The caution is needed to keep things balanced.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DeLaRue: 6:15pm On Sep 04, 2020
tot:

Not at all too long. The caution is needed to keep things balanced.

Good to know my sister.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 6:17pm On Sep 04, 2020
It's quite easy to advise based on the benefit of hindsight.
I believe that this thread was created for folks to share ideas, as well as to constructively engage and review stock tips to the benefit of all. Hence, it could probably have done all forumites good if you had stated your point back then (i.e like @ovasabi et al) and not only to be 'observing' until when the market has tanked, before you comment on why folks should not make recommendations on buying of single stocks.

The stock market is typically cyclic and as i type this, my account is in the red to the tune of almost $200, but i bought stocks that i researched and i am fine to hold or sell when i have reached my target. There is no substitute for seeking and acquiring knowledge through extensive research via stock investing books, resources and all.

To me, the expectation is that every one on this thread is the "guru" of their stockbroking account and should always carry out due diligence before buying any stock(s). No need for the subtle blame game and the attempt to fault the approach of some folks that have choosen to either give recommendations on single stocks against recommending investing in indexes.

Almost the entire market is bleeding and folks need to take any profits off the table and rotate away from techs and Pharma coys and gravitate towards recovery stocks. In spite of the downturn in the market, some folks are still making money from coys in other sectors that are currently 'green' like $CCL, $PEIX etc.

DeLaRue:

8 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by proprp: 6:49pm On Sep 04, 2020
Whenever we post post gains, we should also post loses. For example my portfolio is down -3.17%.

Encouraging each other to pursue financial freedom should be the norm, obviously it is important to make people aware of the risks associated with trading in the stock market and I expect people to research, learn and have some understanding before jumping in. Also don't stop learning and lock in profits when possible.

Africans (Blacks) are mostly left behind in a lot of world's activities because we are risk averse, don't have access to information and hardly share knowledge.

Kudos to the gurus and everyone sharing tips and advice on this forum.

13 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 6:52pm On Sep 04, 2020
DeLaRue:

Dot com bubble companies had huge debt hanging over them. These ones are flush with cash

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2020
I don't know, but with the blood bath in tech where is all the money going to? Even the cyclical stocks which investors are rotating to are not rallying much in comparison to the plunge in tech sector. The election may be priced in at this point. We may be in for a slow-slow fall.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by proprp: 7:01pm On Sep 04, 2020
In the Spirit of Transparency.. Lost 6% gains in 1 day and I had to sell some stocks to lock in profits

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 7:04pm On Sep 04, 2020
My thoughts are that this is a stock market rotation, the tech sector rallied as a result of shutdowns and work from home trends but after the Labor Day weekend next week the elections would start influencing the market more. Investors would bet on cyclical stocks. For example, winter is coming up. Some companies would be in more in demand And as demand for their services increases, it could affect their stock price. These doesn’t mean other stocks won’t rise too oh. I just think the market would be up and down, up and down.
I’m looking at toro a snow and ice removal company which generally rises during the winter and a quick glance at their earnings shows they beat earnings by 45%
Winter resorts would have been a good option but hospitality is still down for now

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2020
Thank God it was a good day. I bought puts on Apple when it was going down to hedge my losses on this red day.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 7:49pm On Sep 04, 2020
DeLaRue:

Then...prices crashed. Many in Europe, America & Asia who, just days earlier, were counting their share price gains in thousands of pounds & euros saw it all evaporate in the twinkle of an eye. Many became bankrupt. Some committed suicide.

Many of the companies that 'experts' said would rule the world in the early 90s (just like Apple, Tesla are today) have collapsed and disappeared. Same thing will happen to many of today's 'hot' companies.

My words you quoted does not apply to the dot com bubble victims. They didn't know what they bought. They were victims of the herd mentality.

Keep your admonitions coming, it supplies the necessary balance.

But did you read the thread from the beginning to see where I stated that the stock market is not a get-rich-quick scheme?
If I manage to research stocks with the scarce time available to me, I dont think I should keep repeating myself as stated on page 1.

This thread is meant to share knowledge and stock tips for investors to enable them take the final decision on what best to do as adults.
There are investment forums and groups all over the world established to help each other develop the investment culture and most of all build wealth.
Should we be different in this part of the world?

18 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 04, 2020
Post your stock tips , mention your entries and exits, explain why . Simple

Nigerians like too much wahala.

Either doing i to know or trying to impress with things copied on market watch.

We don tell una say s and p is overbought.

The buffet wannabes are now feeling trapped whilst we the day traders are smiling because our funds aint locked in.

Still riding Tesla, apple daily where others are afraid.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 8:13pm On Sep 04, 2020
No one is a financial advisor here. Everyone is totally responsible for his/her portfolio. 90% of investors lose money in the market. Check forums on reddit. People lost money but no one blamed anyone, why do we have to be different.

7 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 8:21pm On Sep 04, 2020

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Justcul(m): 8:42pm On Sep 04, 2020
OakPearl:

My words you quoted does not apply to the dot com bubble victims. They didn't know what they bought. They were victims of the herd mentality.

But did you read the thread from the beginning to see where I stated that the stock market is not a get-rich-quick scheme?
If I manage to research stocks with the scarce time available to me, I dont think I should keep repeating myself as stated on page 1.

This thread is meant to share knowledge and stock tips for investors to enable them take the final decision on what best to do as adults.
There are investment forums and groups all over the world established to help each other develop the investment culture and most of all build wealth.

Keep doing your good work bro. There are comments you shouldn't respond to

7 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 8:54pm On Sep 04, 2020
What are the stocks connected to winter and elections?

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alaska90(m): 9:06pm On Sep 04, 2020
OakPearl:

Please don't worry yourself about these people...just keep doing what you doing.

Everything with Nigerian is always a problem...

10 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 9:25pm On Sep 04, 2020
proprp:
Whenever we post post gains, we should also post loses. For example my portfolio is down -3.17%.

Encouraging each other to pursue financial freedom should be the norm, obviously it is important to make people aware of the risks associated with trading in the stock market and I expect people to research, learn and have some understanding before jumping in. Also don't stop learning and lock in profits when possible.

Africans (Blacks) are mostly left behind in a lot of world's activities because we are risk averse, don't have access to information and hardly share knowledge.

Kudos to the gurus and everyone sharing tips and advice on this forum.

Well said!

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 9:28pm On Sep 04, 2020
ebuka1997:
No one is a financial advisor here. Everyone is totally responsible for his/her portfolio. 90% of investors lose money in the market. Check forums on reddit. People lost money but no one blamed anyone, why do we have to be different.

Na the way of Africans na
U should know this by now

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2020
BLAQBOYFLY:
AAPL will test Low $105 especially is the selloff enters into next week which i think it would. Be prepared to close in losses at any postion you can stomach because i think this is just the beginning of the selloff.

Interesting

This sell offs no be here oh!
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sweetmichael007: 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2020
The stock market is going to crash very soon.Am not a prophet of doom,but evidence is speaking loud now.

The market will crash as soon as before middle or end of October.

Please all you individual investors should run away with your one naira now before it turns to Kobo Kobo.

Don't be greedy, Kobo wise naira foolish.

Leave the market for now and come back next year.go for a break or go for a holiday, which ever one,but just leave now before the sky fall on you.

Don't say no one told you,unless you are a short trader, you can go short on most stocks at the moment and smile to the bank in few months.

All the news outlet are saying the same thing am telling you now.

Mark today's date. Don't say nobody warned you so.

Our people say fly that doesn't listen to advise follows dead body to the grave.

It a trap.run for your life.

Read the article here from great thinkers and people's comments also.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4372177-yes-crash-is-coming

Be wise.

A world is enough for the wise
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by kunlef1: 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2020
Highlyfavoured3:
Hello gurus in the house, please where do one get access to premarket info?

Check Yahoo Finance App on your mobile phone. Save the stocks you are interested in in your wishlist with your Yahoo account. You can preview pre-market price of your stocks here.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Checkmate1: 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2020
cry
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 10:37pm On Sep 04, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 11:36pm On Sep 04, 2020
sweetmichael007:
The stock market is going to crash very soon.Am not a prophet of doom,but evidence is speaking loud now.

The market will crash as soon as before middle or end of October.

Please all you individual investors should run away with your one naira now before it turns to Kobo Kobo.

Don't be greedy, Kobo wise naira foolish.

Leave the market for now and come back next year.go for a break or go for a holiday, which ever one,but just leave now before the sky fall on you.

Don't say no one told you,unless you are a short trader, you can go short on most stocks at the moment and smile to the bank in few months.

All the news outlet are saying the same thing am telling you now.

Mark today's date. Don't say nobody warned you so.

Our people say fly that doesn't listen to advise follows dead body to the grave.

It a trap.run for your life.

Read the article here from great thinkers and people's comments also.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4372177-yes-crash-is-coming

Be wise.

A world is enough for the wise

People make money in bear markets. This is the to know if you are a pretender or investor.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Viewing this topic: Aremsssoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.