Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (611881 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by thesilentone(m): 7:40am On Jun 22, 2020
4Play:

Hedge funds won't take money from small investors - this is not a thread that caters to the Dangotes or Otedolas.

The assertion that retail investors - the people on this thread - struggle over the long term when buying individual stocks is so well known that it is odd we are even debating this. No one should be investing in the stock market without being aware of this.

As for Buffett not buying indexes, you seem to miss the point. You buy indexes because you are not Buffett - no one here has his track record no matter how much we congratulate ourselves because of brief successes. By the way, here is Buffet's advice:

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/warren-buffett-recommends-index-funds-for-most-investors

I worry, knowing Nigerians' penchant for get-rich-quick schemes, that many will see the stock market as a route to riches, like the BetNaija trend, and invest in an aggressive style. We've already seen the chap from Trove attacked by an investor who lost money and it was interesting the comments he made about the investing style of many, I assume his clients.

If we glamourise investing, most people here will suffer in a country where many are not financially buoyant. We have to acknowledge it is tough for retail investors and that the evidence supports this.

My view is that novices should avoid stocks, many experts would even say all retail investors should avoid individual stocks but I recognise that you can become pretty good at investing with good education on it. Arguably, part of acquiring an education is by experience in buying stocks but if you go down this route, think of your investment fund as tuition fees and only do it with money you can afford to lose.

PS: I have already mentioned in my earlier post what indexes an investor can buy. There are a lot more and I am a bit wary of people wanting to be spoonfed with names of what to buy. It's up to each interested person to investigate what index funds would be appropriate and what is available on the platforms they are using.

I have read WBs letters going way back. In my experience, listening to him and watching what he does are very different things. In one of his letters, he advises against trading options (derivatives) but if you read some of the earlier pages of the same letter, he states how he made millions from derivatives. People would need to make up their own minds.
The flawed argument referred to in my initial post is that index funds are more profitable in the long term than individual stocks. I absolutely don't agree. I would rather own 5 companies than all the companies lumped up into one which is what the index is about .

In your WB quote, you seem to miss out the 'average' part. One can do better than average in the markets if due diligence is applied before making your investments. This is very different from trading.

Different strategies work out in the market, your returns would be the judge. Again, the market is not a get-rich-quick scheme which is the fastest way to lose money but with due diligence and patience, one can do better than the indexes.

To the readers, please stick to what works for you but make sure to put in the work.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Topson88: 8:57am On Jun 22, 2020
Thesilentone, I think 4play's advice is for newbies or anyone who has little knowledge in stocks to prevent stories that touch the heart.

Its all about one of the general principles of investing ..." low risk low return, high risk high return"

As for me, nothing stops me from investing in individual stocks as well as index stocks....its all about diversifying one's portfolio with respect to one's risk appetite.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by thesilentone(m): 10:56am On Jun 22, 2020
Topson88:
Thesilentone, I think 4play's advice is for newbies or anyone who has little knowledge in stocks to prevent stories that touch the heart.

Its all about one of the general principles of investing ..." low risk low return, high risk high return"

As for me, nothing stops me from investing in individual stocks as well as index stocks....its all about diversifying one's portfolio with respect to one's risk appetite.

Okay. I'll let it rest.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2020
Virgin Galactic (SPCE) receiving pre-market attention.
May gain up to 15% or more today because they signed a deal with NASA to develop a recruitment and training program for private astronauts seeking to visit the International Space Station.

How far this news pushes the stock we can't tell but if it repeats its behaviour between October 2019 and Jan/Feb 2020, SPCE will make some people some near term bucks.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 2:05pm On Jun 22, 2020
Alexandre7:

Can you recommend some Nigerian Stocks that pay Good Dividends?
As I mentioned United Capital plc and these below
1. Zenith Bank plc [ also pays interim dividend]
2. Gtb plc [also pays interim dividend]
3. Africa Prudential Registrar plc
4. Uba plc...
5. RedStar plc.
6. Dangote Sugar plc
7. Dangote Cement plc

and so many other

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2020
thesilentone:

This is a flawed argument. If one is interested in buying the index, you might be better off giving your money to the hedge fund manager who will save you the 'stress' of running an account to get the same results. It would be enlightening to the readers if you explained to them how indexes work.

If you don't want to do any research, if you can't be asked to do any due diligence, by all means buy the indexes. You don't even need to read any books, just buy the index and expect the overall market returns. Even WB does not buy the index.

Please i beg to differ Sir, without research, if a newbie dumps his money in APPLE shares, he will still beat any index fund flat. All these principles sef. Just look for a dominant stock or large moat, you have killed the market oooo... I did not know shishi before i started investing but i just dumped my money in United Capital[ the only investment bank in NSE]..since then na big big dividend dey follow

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 3:06pm On Jun 22, 2020
gamaliel9:

Please i beg to differ Sir, without research, if a newbie dumps his money in APPLE shares, he will still beat any index fund flat. All these principles sef. Just look for a dominant stock or large moat, you have killed the market oooo... I did not know shishi before i started investing but i just dumped my money in United Capital[ the only investment bank in NSE]..since then na big big dividend dey follow

I have a friend who only invests in 4 or 5 stocks and he has outperformed the market every year. He invests in high growth stocks like Amazon, tesla and co.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 4:55pm On Jun 22, 2020
OakPearl:
Virgin Galactic (SPCE) receiving pre-market attention.
May gain up to 15% or more today because they signed a deal with NASA to develop a recruitment and training program for private astronauts seeking to visit the International Space Station.

How far this news pushes the stock we can't tell but if it repeats its behaviour between October 2019 and Jan/Feb 2020, SPCE will make some people some near term bucks.

Your SPCE call made me some money before. Lemme follow this stock again, it's been bouncing between $15 and $20 for some time now

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 4:56pm On Jun 22, 2020
COVID related trades printing today

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Kennyking1234: 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2020
Am 17 and I want to start investing what advice do you have for me.
My chaka is already verified i can trade locally and internationally....

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sharpman1(m): 5:30pm On Jun 22, 2020
YerYer:
COVID related trades printing today

Okay.....can you please explain this 'call' trades?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 5:36pm On Jun 22, 2020
Kennyking1234:
Am 17 and I want to start investing what advice do you have for me.
My chaka is already verified i can trade locally and internationally....

At 17, you are already well above your peers. If you start now and stay the course, your money will grow by compounding and you will be financially independent before you know it.

Start small and limit speculative trades. I would've suggested you avoid speculative trades completely but the truth is, at your age, even if you lose money in risky trades, you have your whole life ahead of you to make up for it. So what will I suggest? 90% of your portfolio should be in high growth stocks but in diversified sectors. The remaining 10% can be invested in micro caps, disruptor stocks(marijuana, biotech, 5G etc) and crypto.

Read books about investing, so many people have made suggestions on this thread. Visit investopedia, yahoo finance and cnbc. Keep conservative expectations, don't expect to get rich quick, this way you wouldn't be so disappointed if you lose money. At your age, I was a complete game freak, but I have no complaints, I used to make high scores and thrash my friends, you will need to have the same passion for investing in stocks. You will need to live and breathe this stuff. When you have a crazy impulsive idea, first test it out on a demo account and learn from the experience.

I hope one day you look back to where your journey started and smile at your investment portfolio. Good luck.

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 5:41pm On Jun 22, 2020
American Airlines is currently planning to increase their supply of shares with an additional $1.5b. This is shares dilution and this increase in supply has a huge tendency to reduce their share price.

Coupled with their negative cash flow since 2018, we advise staying off airline stocks for now, specifically AAL.

Note: This may not apply long term players

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 5:44pm On Jun 22, 2020
sharpman1:

Okay.....can you please explain this 'call' trades?

Basically when the market was spooked last week with reports of increasing corona virus cases in some states, I had the hunch we may be having a 2nd wave or a continuation of the 1st wave so I bought call options in ETSY, ZM, APT, PTON, LVGO, EBAY and SLV. In a nut shell, If the stock goes up, the options trade goes up incrementally. They must stay above their strike price before expiration, if they sell off, I can lose 100% of the money I spent buying those call options. Currently up about $10k from these trades alone.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by azeezman: 6:21pm On Jun 22, 2020
It is good you know the needs to invest at your early age. But i will advise to focus more on your education in school now rather than going into full time trading.
At your stage, it will be difficult to combine schooling and making money together. And its good u plan entrying university and finish with good grades
However, if you have little money that you don't need now, rather than its been in the bank with little yield, i will advice you can put
quote author=YerYer post=90954879]

At 17, you are already well above your peers. If you start now and stay the course, your money will grow by compounding and you will be financially independent before you know it.

Start small and limit speculative trades. I would've suggest you avoided speculative trades completely but the truth is, at your age, even if you lose money in risky trades, you have your whole life ahead of you to make up for it. So what will I suggest, 90% of your portfolio should be in high growth stocks but in diversified sectors. The remaining 10% can be invested in micro caps, disruptor stocks(marijuana, biotech, 5G etc) and crypto.

Read books about investing, so many people have made suggestions on this thread. Visit investopedia, yahoo finance and cnbc. Keep conservative expectations, don't expect to get rich quick, this way you wouldn't be so disappointed if you lose money. At your age, I was a complete game freak, but I have no complaint, I used to make high scores and thrash my friends, you will need to have the same passion for investing in stocks. You will need to live and breath this stuff. When you have a crazy impulsive idea, first test it out on a demo account and learn from the experience.

I hope one day you look back to where your journey started and smile at your investment portfolio. Good luck.

[/quote]
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by azeezman: 6:22pm On Jun 22, 2020
It is good you know the needs to invest at your early age. But i will advise to focus more on your education in school now rather than going into full time trading.
At your stage, it will be difficult to combine schooling and making money together. And its good u plan entrying university and finish with good grades
However, if you have little money that you don't need now, rather than its been in the bank with little yield, i will advice you can put it in Nigeria stock, which has high dividend yield

It important to note, not to be in hurry in life, life is a step by step. When you start working fully, you can now think of stock trading and investment. Please avoid chasing two things at a time now

quote author=Kennyking1234 post=90954069]Am 17 and I want to start investing what advice do you have for me.
My chaka is already verified i can trade locally and internationally....[/quote]

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sharpman1(m): 6:49pm On Jun 22, 2020
YerYer:

Basically when the market was spooked last week with reports of increasing corona virus cases in some states, I had the hunch we may be having a 2nd wave or a continuation of the 1st wave so I bought call options in ETSY, ZM, APT, PTON, LVGO, EBAY and SLV. In a nut shell, If the stock goes up, the options trade goes up incrementally. They must stay above their strike price before expiration, if they sell off, I can lose 100% of the money I spent buying those call options. Currently up about $10k from these trades alone.

Does it mean you can't exit before those dates you have there?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 1kinggy(m): 6:55pm On Jun 22, 2020
DexterousOne:
Anyone else here intend to build a defensive dividend paying portfolio on our NYSE platforms?

Or we are all traders here?

I'm still studying the market and yet to take a plunge tho

Just watching on the sidelines

But I'm more biased towards dividend investing to trading.

What do our other veterans here think?

In for the dividend but when a good window exists for good profit, I pocket some.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 7:11pm On Jun 22, 2020
1kinggy:

In for the dividend but when a good window exists for good profit, I pocket some.

That's good

Once an opportunity for some cash out present itself

You take it with both hands
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 7:13pm On Jun 22, 2020
YerYer:

I have a friend who only invests in 4 or 5 stocks and he has outperformed the market every year. He invests in high growth stocks like Amazon, tesla and co.

That's interesting
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2020
1kinggy:

This is what i started doing after making money for my broker when i bought and sold Chipotle. It has been working for me in Nigerian stocks...dividend investing..very sweet... Now in US stocks i have decided to have SIX stocks that pay quarterly dividend. I will be receiving dividend EVERY MONTH FROM TWO STOCKS[ these stocks pay quarterly not monthly] I decided to do only six stocks because i believe that CONCENTRATION breeds wealth, more so when money for investing is not much. However, i have keyed in to a few stocks for raising funds like FASTLY,etc. I beleive, not hoping, i believe it will work out.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 9:34pm On Jun 22, 2020
IDEX over doing about 300%. Stock was only $0.38 as at 1st June, 2020. Anyone on this bus?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 9:49pm On Jun 22, 2020
sharpman1:

Does it mean you can't exit before those dates you have there?

Absolutely. I can sell anytime, either to take profit, cut my loss or let it rid
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alexandre7: 12:14am On Jun 23, 2020
gamaliel9:

This is what i started doing after making money for my broker when i bought and sold Chipotle. It has been working for me in Nigerian stocks...dividend investing..very sweet... Now in US stocks i have decided to have SIX stocks that pay quarterly dividend. I will be receiving dividend EVERY MONTH FROM TWO STOCKS[ these stocks pay quarterly not monthly] I decided to do only six stocks because i believe that CONCENTRATION breeds wealth, more so when money for investing is not much. However, i have keyed in to a few stocks for raising funds like FASTLY,etc. I beleive, not hoping, i believe it will work out.

Dividend in Nigerian Stocks are usually yearly correct?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lionlee216(m): 1:26am On Jun 23, 2020
arduino:
IDEX over doing about 300%. Stock was only $0.38 as at 1st June, 2020. Anyone on this bus?

I should have bought 500 shares on Index on Friday. I really regret my decision

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DexterousOne(m): 1:31am On Jun 23, 2020
Alexandre7:

Dividend in Nigerian Stocks are usually yearly correct?

Yea

Tho some banks pay dividend twice in a year

Like Zenith and GTBank
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 11:41am On Jun 23, 2020
@oakpearl
@Yeryer

How do you see SPOT. Been watching the stock for a while now. I feel it's currently overbought and may dip soon, but it would make for a very good buy. I feel it's a potential AMZN. What are your thoughts?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 11:49am On Jun 23, 2020
YerYer:

Start small and limit speculative trades. I would've suggested you avoid speculative trades completely but the truth is, at your age, even if you lose money in risky trades, you have your whole life ahead of you to make up for it. So what will I suggest? 90% of your portfolio should be in high growth stocks but in diversified sectors. The remaining 10% can be invested in micro caps, disruptor stocks(marijuana, biotech, 5G etc) and crypto.

Read books about investing, so many people have made suggestions on this thread. Visit investopedia, yahoo finance and cnbc. Keep conservative expectations, don't expect to get rich quick, this way you wouldn't be so disappointed if you lose money. At your age, I was a complete game freak, but I have no complaints, I used to make high scores and thrash my friends, you will need to have the same passion for investing in stocks. You will need to live and breath this stuff. When you have a crazy impulsive idea, first test it out on a demo account and learn from the experience.

Endorsed!

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
[quote author=jessyb post=90982914]Get into our pepper farming investment.... 40% returns in 9 months...minimum of 100k.....ends June 2020....DM 0708491.

Please post this your investment here..

https://www.nairaland.com/5358517/digital-agriculture-investment-platforms-options

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65