Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. - Family (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. (64804 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice / Should I Allow My Mum To Visit Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. by Sixfeetbelle: 3:35pm On Mar 14, 2020
There should be some sort of understanding concerning relatives coming to visit or stay for long. Yes, we understand they sacrificed heaven and earth for you but you didn't marry them, you married her and her consent should be required. This is where understanding in marriage is key.

Before inviting your family over, let your spouse know how long they will be staying so you both can agree on a timeline. Two months may be okay for you, but may be too long for her. If they overstay their welcome or turn commando in anothers house, problems will arise. Familiarity breeds contempt and if your relatives turn your house into a motel that they can visit every month by different people, jealousy and fights will definitely arise.

Marriage is a work in progress between two people. Never make any decision alone, especially as it will affect the other person.
Re: Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. by Saintmary(f): 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2020
pocohantas:
I agree with you OP.

You don't want to know how much I love my dad and only brother. These are the two men that have supported me every step of the way. I can't imagine one FOOLISH husband saying they shouldn't visit or stay in our house or even thinking he comes before them.

It is my father first, mother and siblings, my kid, before my husband.

You can always get another husband, but never another family.

A father is the only man that will spend on you without asking for submission or anything.

My dad reigns supreme in my heart. I can take a bullet in the head for that man, but NEVER will I attempt it for a husband. You see how much I love him?

For that reason, he can come live with us. All my siblings can come, alongside my husband's own.

One big happy family.
Na so

Re: Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. by AmTruth: 11:27am On Mar 19, 2020
I don't think any commando can be formed here. Because as far as there was no commando amongst them before them engaging in marriage certainly non will come after marriage.

However I agree that there should be an agreement and not absolute refusal to visit or stay as some do.
Sixfeetbelle:
There should be some sort of understanding concerning relatives coming to visit or stay for long. Yes, we understand they sacrificed heaven and earth for you but you didn't marry them, you married her and her consent should be required. This is where understanding in marriage is key.

Before inviting your family over, let your spouse know how long they will be staying so you both can agree on a timeline. Two months may be okay for you, but may be too long for her. If they overstay their welcome or turn commando in anothers house, problems will arise. Familiarity breeds contempt and if your relatives turn your house into a motel that they can visit every month by different people, jealousy and fights will definitely arise.

Marriage is a work in progress between two people. Never make any decision alone, especially as it will affect the other person.
Re: Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. by Sixfeetbelle: 12:17pm On Mar 19, 2020
AmTruth:
I don't think any commando can be formed here. Because as far as there was no commando amongst them before them engaging in marriage certainly non will come after marriage.

However I agree that there should be an agreement and not absolute refusal to visit or stay as some do.

I meant commando by the in-laws. Some will start acting "since it's my brother's house, it's my house too so if I want, I won't carry my plate to the kitchen or I won't sweep the house because I came for visit." forgetting that just because it was tolerated at home doesn't mean your brother and wife would welcome such behaviour.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Wife Of LASU Lecturer Pregnant For Her Bricklayer Lover (pics) / Help! My Sister In-law Is Seducing Me / Hilarious Photos Of Babies Who Didn't Want Their Shots Taken!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.