Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) (55646 Views)

See The Snail Soup A Nigerian Lady Cooked For Her Man / The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / The Pot Of Soup A Man Cooked With N1000 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by kponkedenge(m): 11:18pm On Feb 07, 2020
Sarah20A:
that soup is very nice especially when u make it with burnt fish is called 'owo oto' in Benin.
Lol.... First time I'm seeing this kind of food sef.... I suppose dey respect all of una sef
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by roliks99(f): 11:26pm On Feb 07, 2020
GODPUNISHALABI:
undecided disgusting piece of shît...who tha F uck eats this shît...looks like something brewed in da sewer...f ûck mehn bîtch you just killed my appetite...ama fûcking break somfin cos of this disgusting piece of shît.... reason why a nigga ain’t marrying no bitch that ain’t from the east side...bitch fuçk you

Too much condemnation na
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Liberated: 11:27pm On Feb 07, 2020
if you can't cook the Irhibotor soup then you are not a real Urhobo woman.
Abeg according to which constitution? So somebody should disown his wife, daughter, mother,etc because of one inhibitor soup. People self. The ones that know how to cook even countless Urhobo delicacies have not spoken u are already clapping for yaself for just one soup. Abeg park well!
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by LOVEGINO(m): 11:28pm On Feb 07, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Well there is what we call Erhei in Urhobo language, honestly i don't know the English name.

Use Erhei.
Crayfish.
Dry pepper.
Then you can use fish, preferably bonga fish.
Salt.
Maggi.

First of all put the crayfish on a frying pan without Groundnut oil and fry it like that, let it become dry a little then Grind the dry pepper, the Erhei and the crayfish together.

Then roast your bonga fish separately.

Then add the grinded pepper and the Erhei and the cray fish that together in a plate, add little water, add little salt and Maggie and the roasted bonga fish.
Mix them together and there you have your Irhibotor soup.

but u said no fire grin
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by LamaNewton(m): 11:34pm On Feb 07, 2020
one of my favourites.......but d bowl they used is somehow sha
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Witchersunited: 11:36pm On Feb 07, 2020
Auntyesther:
Enyia zuzu jee noru ala! Apali... someone like you doesn't have ingredients nor utensils but your here making noise
cheesy cheesy
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Stallione(m): 11:48pm On Feb 07, 2020
Poo soup grin
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by captain247: 11:54pm On Feb 07, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Well there is what we call Erhei in Urhobo language, honestly i don't know the English name.

Use Erhei.
Crayfish.
Dry pepper.
Salt.
Maggi.

First of all put the crayfish on a frying pan without Groundnut oil and fry it like that, let it become dry a little then Grind the dry pepper, the Erhei and the crayfish together.

Then add the grinded pepper and the Erhei and the cray fish that together in a plate, add little water, add little salt and Maggie and the roasted bonga fish.

The Erhie is usually burnt in the fire before grinding it with the dry pepper and that gives the soup the aroma.

2 Likes

Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ojaysam25(m): 12:12am On Feb 08, 2020
I nor dey play with this soup....undo people see it as poor man food....
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ahnie: 12:21am On Feb 08, 2020
Thazard:
Op i don't understand this your method oh.

Here's mine:Roast some Erhe and ground them with the pestle inside the motar and add grounded pepper.

*Add a little quantity of Eba to the grounded pepper and Erhe and mix with the pestle till they blend together.

*Add dry fish and pound with the mixture,add a little oil,Akanwu and stir throughly.

*Add warm water and mix till it turns liquid.After mixing,add your salt and maggi.

*Add your Roasted fish and serve!
Hello am an isoko lady ...please akanwu(potash)isn't added in iribotor.... neither is red oil.

I prolly think the op got it correctly.
Good morning.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by tegafej(m): 12:24am On Feb 08, 2020
Daniel058:
Urhobo wado!! ,Isoko wado! grin

Chai if you from Igbo go urhobo simply ask where Nwanyi Igbo dey sell Food oo

If not you fit buy beans soup oo grin

Na warri people know the value of Pepper Sha and Dem no use meat play ...

Soup without Vegetables everywhere .. Chai grin

Megwo Sha

Vrendo. Mavo na
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Daniel058(m): 12:29am On Feb 08, 2020
tegafej:

Vrendo. Mavo na
am fine ugbeya me grin ...

Oghene blesi wen OSHARE grin
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by dragunov: 12:36am On Feb 08, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
There is a soup called Irhibotor by the Urhobo people in Delta State.

The soup is cooked without fire and it's been a life saver to Urhobo or delta students in the University or polytechnic when they are so broke.

The most cheapest soup in NIGERIA.

As a lady from Delta State, especially an urhobo lady, if you can't cook the Irhibotor soup then you are not a real Urhobo woman.

The soup is part of the culture, lol.

When you have a fever, you can take it with yam or Eba and your fever will definitely disappear. Lol

Introducing the Urhobo Irhibotor soup.

O
You bin tink say na una Urhobo people only wey get soup way you go prepare without fire. We also get out own natural firelessly prepared soup naa. ELEBOTOR, na im be de name. That soup de cure 200 ailments.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by jrerico1(m): 12:39am On Feb 08, 2020
mansakhalifa:
No smoke without fire...

No soup without fire sad

yes but Urhobo they run am.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by nervorum: 1:44am On Feb 08, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
There is a soup called Irhibotor by the Urhobo people in Delta State.

The soup is cooked without fire and it's been a life saver to Urhobo or delta students in the University or polytechnic when they are so broke.

The most cheapest soup in NIGERIA.

As a lady from Delta State, especially an urhobo lady, if you can't cook the Irhibotor soup then you are not a real Urhobo woman.

The soup is part of the culture, lol.

When you have a fever, you can take it with yam or Eba and your fever will definitely disappear. Lol

Introducing the Urhobo Irhibotor soup.

I miss iribo-tor badly, very badly. Was a lifesaver way back.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by nervorum: 1:47am On Feb 08, 2020
ahnie:

Hello am an isoko lady ...please akanwu(potash)isn't added in iribotor.... neither is red oil.

Good morning.

I think there maybe different variation to this delicacy. My mum use to add akanwu, and some palm oil, just a tot of it.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by captainamiedi1: 3:00am On Feb 08, 2020
Growing up these food was a life saver but currently I cant taste it. The fact that it wasn't cooked, makes it not too good for the body. And again apart from the fish, the food lack nutritional value. Some urhobo food I can't eat. I can't eat starch anymore as well.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by erico2k2(m): 3:11am On Feb 08, 2020
Samfloxin:
The. soup is not pleasant to behold at all...una dey try sha
One man's food is another man's poison. Learn to appreciate others. U only live once.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by erico2k2(m): 3:12am On Feb 08, 2020
captainamiedi1:
Growing up these food was a life saver but currently I cant taste it. The fact that it wasn't cooked, makes it not too good for the body. And again apart from the fish, the food lack nutritional value. Some urhobo food I can't eat. I can't eat starch anymore as well.
U eat loads of food which are not cooked.in the name of sea foods.good lord what's wrong with you guys??
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by erico2k2(m): 3:15am On Feb 08, 2020
ahnie:

Good morning.
You add potash.thats the main catalyst if not ur pepper would be too raw to eat. And U can chose to add fresh palm oil if U so wish , just like goat Ukodo.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Benwallt(m): 3:26am On Feb 08, 2020
Is that using his leg to eat in d first foto or his second leg look like hand
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by AFONJACOW(m): 3:31am On Feb 08, 2020
willi926:
We have something like this in my hometown in anambra state. Just use crayfish and ogiri and small salt with palm oil and little warm water and u are good to go. No stress, and highly nutritious sef
you mean ofe mgwe bi Ani That's what we called it in oba
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by kpaofame: 3:56am On Feb 08, 2020
Thanks for sharing!

My dad prepares it better, fast to prepare and delicious.

I really miss those delicacies...
Irhibotor, owho, and Amiedi
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by TVTKOKO(m): 4:35am On Feb 08, 2020
BotafogoJunior:
which yama yama be this,shebi you said in your first post that the soup is cooked without fire,which one come be roast and fry again.........shior!!!!
thank you jare! I just so much hate misinformation. Nonsense and OP!!! angry angry angry
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by AreaFada2: 4:58am On Feb 08, 2020
Nice.

It's prepared in many places. Usually called "ground soup", as against fire(up) cooked soup.

Sometimes potash is added to make "cold owo/owho" for eating yam, plantain, starch, etc.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ussv: 5:19am On Feb 08, 2020
Damn!!! I really miss this soup. It is an all time classic.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ahnie: 5:56am On Feb 08, 2020
captainamiedi1:
We ehen see famzing....lolz akpor!
Your moniker connotes....captain of Banga soup....lolzzzz
Captainamiedi1 grin
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ahnie: 5:57am On Feb 08, 2020
AreaFada2:
Nice.

It's prepared in many places. Usually called "ground soup", as against fire(up) cooked soup.

Sometimes potash is added to make "cold owo/owho" for eating yam, plantain, starch, etc.
God...am so cooking owho soup and starch today ...want some?
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by ramatintin(m): 6:26am On Feb 08, 2020
GODPUNISHALABI:
undecided disgusting piece of shît...who tha F uck eats this shît...looks like something brewed in da sewer...f ûck mehn bîtch you just killed my appetite...ama fûcking break somfin cos of this disgusting piece of shît.... reason why a nigga ain’t marrying no bitch that ain’t from the east side...bitch fuçk you
just for likes you spew trasH grow up.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by Adakintroy2: 7:46am On Feb 08, 2020
BotafogoJunior:
which yama yama be this,shebi you said in your first post that the soup is cooked without fire,which one come be roast and fry again.........shior!!!!

Calm down. I get you. The fire is just to roast the bonga fish. The roasting bring out the cent and a unique flavor. Outside that the soup it self does not need any fire.

My Mille use to run am for us that yr for one house weh be like okorte ( uncompleted buliding). She from Oteri village ughelli. Bad soup with plenty pepper. You eat finish know say you go sleep open mouth face fan. Real matter.

Urhobo wadoh!.
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by AreaFada2: 7:50am On Feb 08, 2020
ahnie:

God...am so cooking owho soup and starch today ...want some?
See question o.
Abeg ensure you include proper fish and ofiontor meat o. With plantain close to ripening stage, yellow yam, water yam and a little starch. Yum yum. grin cheesy
Re: The Urhobo Irhibotor Soup: A Life Saver (Photos) by chinazaekpere12: 7:52am On Feb 08, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Use Erhei.
Crayfish.
Dry pepper.
Salt.
Maggi.

erhei is called African nutmeg in English. You can search google for images and you'll know what the poster is talking about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

13 Pictures Of Party Food That Make Us Happy To Be Nigerian / Garri (cassava Flakes) With Blocked Water (picture Attached) / 'Buhari's Pot': Man Constructs Pot For Cooking 2 Meals At The Same Time (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.