Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? (40235 Views)

What Food Do You Consider Overhyped In Terms Of Taste? (picture) / What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / What Food Is Forbidden In Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:00pm On Apr 14, 2020
grandstar:
Bush rat. Ondo people are forbidden.

Due to that, I've only eaten it about 5 times in my life, the last one was one within our compound a few years ago. . Those things are very big.
how can you say bush rat is forbidden....boy the smell of bushrat Eran igbe makes me salivate.when you yimata,o sweet jesus cheesy

Kowa gbe stout tutu silegbe ATI amala and ewedu cheesy

O my my cheesy
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by gregng(m): 5:00pm On Apr 14, 2020
I eat everything that is good... But those that don't eat snail...nu are missing....

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:00pm On Apr 14, 2020
nlPoster:
What should you do if you've eaten a taboo item without knowing?

Induce vomiting to purge it from your system.
It differs by town and culture.
Some have been overtaken by modernity and faith, but some are still very very active. Some drink Palmoil when they mistakenly eat forbidden food or edible.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Mistaicey2288: 5:01pm On Apr 14, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Your initial statement was suspicious. You said your people eat just about anything.

Only some guys somewhere in Asia do such. smiley

You saw anything edible (Can be eaten by anyone) didn't you?... Did you see that emboldened part in the initial statement or not?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Neoteny7: 5:01pm On Apr 14, 2020
seunlayi:
Yoruba don't cook any food that is against their culture. Therefore, any food cooked is edible

There was this yoruba cleric once who cooked human beings....
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by seunlayi(m): 5:02pm On Apr 14, 2020
irunoko:
I said I eat vuulture eggs (fried one) with boiled yam.you will bite your tongue
I can't, I ve actually stopped eating any bush animals
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by einsteine(m): 5:02pm On Apr 14, 2020
Snails. My mom eats it but we were (my dad, my siblings and I) were not to eat it as we were from Ndokwa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by seunlayi(m): 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2020
Neoteny7:

There was this yoruba cleric once who cooked human beings....
... What later happened to him
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Angelinastto(f): 5:04pm On Apr 14, 2020
Noddles and egg lipsrsealed
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by daniwise(m): 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
JohnnyPalmer:

How far nawgringrin

I dey bros
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

If you reason this question ehnnn
He be like mumu mumu question

But ehnnnn! On a serious note. Na better question.
But op. Na plant or animal product?
What am i even saying! Food na food na! Too much weed in my system

Make i call my grandmother whether any food dey for Bini when we dey forbid
Your attempt at a joke or sit-at-home comedy was a failure. Your joke too dryyyyy.
Be serious a bit, people are reading to learn new things.
BE USEFULL

2 Likes

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Buhari1(m): 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
Snake meat

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by foxxydude: 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
I have sampled all edible street food and meat everywhere I visit.

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2020
Mistaicey2288:

You saw anything edible (something anyone can eat) didn't you?... Did you see that emboldened part in the initial statement or not?

I saw it alright.

Depends on what you might wanna call edible. smiley

Bats, rats, flies, roaches are all edible, you see?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by emmabest2000(m): 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2020
StupidNLmods:
Fried human meat

Fried or Roasted ? grin

Abiriba people they chop humans shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Vic20(m): 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
Dog, eating both Yam and Coco yam together at the same time. Strange huh! sad
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
Perfecttouch:
crab

What

OK.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
Here you can't even dare to kill a Tortoise let alone to eat it.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by aribs(m): 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:
Chopping another man's wife is a taboo in my village ...''chopping" as in ''fvcking"....

But i understand that in some parts of Benue State, men give out their wives and daughters as Kola to visitors shocked...as in if you are spending the night in his house, he can delegate one of his wives or daughters to keep you in satisfactory coital company overnight....

Point is....one man's meat is another man's poison cool

Modified

I have been getting some mentions telling me the Benue tradition I stated above isn't true...sad

Up till tomorrow, adultery is not prohibited among the Tivi tribe in Benue State..there, you cannot be convicted for knacking someone's wife...

If you think I am lying, please find and read the cases of Apiko V Ikogi and Tofi v Uba, the latter having been decided by the Nigerian Court of Appeal..

For ease of reference, here are the cases' Court citations:

Tofi v Uba (1987) 3 NWLR PT.62 P.723 PARA A-H

APIKO UNOGWU V GABRIEL IKOGI-APPEAL NO. OHC/19A/2008
The appellant’s appeal to the Court of Appeal was dismissed on rather technical grounds. That Court held that since the Local Government (Declaration of Tiv Customary Marriage) Order, 1985, did not prohibit adultery in express terms but merely criminalised wrongful detention of a married woman against her husband’s wish, section 33(12) of the then 1979 Constitution was rightly invoked by the 1st respondent; because this meant adultery per se was not a crime in Tiv land. The fact that this technicality was invoked in dismissing the appeal does not mean adultery is permissible within the said tribe sir. Your interpretation of the facts therein will be incorrect. This is in reference to Tofi vs Uba
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by cococandy(f): 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
Plead:

Nothing will happen. Nigerians just like being superstitious.

Same way a lot of them say if you kill a duck that doesn’t belong to you,you must pay for it or bury it in a human way or else you’ll die or live a miserable life. grin

Africa is filled with useless,primitive,senseless and illogical traditions/customs.
Don’t worry I know all about our many superstitions but I’m asking ishi because she’s from there.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
reubenobi:
Are you Delta as well?
Nope
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2020
seunlayi:
I can't, I ve actually stopped eating any bush animals
you are missing big time

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Baamm(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2020
i heard before Babangida regime only Ghanaians living in Nigeria then will be caught eating Sardine and other canned food cus Nigerian citizens find it beneath them as life was good and most people from the northern extract won’t be caught eating Eba/Amala/ pounded yam and co from southern part same with Sourtherners. But the poverty index during IBB era grew. Engineering graduates turned photographer just to survive. Every body start Dey chop Wetin dem find.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Asadujames202(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

If you reason this question ehnnn
He be like mumu mumu question

But ehnnnn! On a serious note. Na better question.
But op. Na plant or animal product?
What am i even saying! Food na food na! Too much weed in my system

Baba please,
Clarify me on this.

On the Nigerian voter's card.
Is the ID number the last seven digits of the VIN
or the last five digits?

Make i call my grandmother whether any food dey for Bini when we dey forbid
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Lilytrota: 5:10pm On Apr 14, 2020
[You dont just speak about something you know nothing about. They asked about what food you forbid in YOUR place but no na benue people own sweet you to talk about.uote author=buygala post=88439640]Chopping another man's wife is a taboo in my village ...''chopping" as in ''fvcking"....

But i understand that in some parts of Benue State, men give out their wives and daughters as Kola to visitors shocked...as in if you are spending the night in his house, he can delegate one of his wives or daughters to keep you in satisfactory coital company overnight....

Modified

I have been getting some mentions telling me the Benue tradition I stated above isn't true...sad

Up till tomorrow, adultery is not prohibited among the Tivi tribe in Benue State..there, you cannot be convicted for knacking someone's wife...

If you think I am lying, please find and read the cases of Apiko V Ikogi and Tofi v Uba, the latter having been decided by the Nigerian Court of Appeal..

[/quote]
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by buygala(m): 5:10pm On Apr 14, 2020
aribs:

The appellant’s appeal to the Court of Appeal was dismissed on rather technical grounds. That Court held that since the Local Government (Declaration of Tiv Customary Marriage) Order, 1985, did not prohibit adultery in express terms but merely criminalised wrongful detention of a married woman against her husband’s wish, section 33(12) of the then 1979 Constitution was rightly invoked by the 1st respondent; because this meant adultery per se was not a crime in Tiv land. The fact that this technicality was invoked in dismissing the appeal does not mean adultery is permissible within the said tribe sir. Your interpretation of the facts therein will be incorrect. This is in reference to Tofi vs Uba

The order you quited does not criminalize adultery...finito

Esentially, that order allowed the Respondent to walk free from the charge of adultery...

If you are a lawyer like myself, you will understand that it is trite that what isn't expressly prohibited is permissible
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by reubenobi(m): 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
computergeek:
Nope
Okay
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:
Chopping another man's wife is a taboo in my village ...''chopping" as in ''fvcking"....

Modified

Later you will blame Nigerian politicians for the failure of Nigeria.
You are a failure on this interesting thread.
Can't you contribute to the topic?

STOP BEING A LAB RAT FOR PSYCHOANALYSIS ALWAYS
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by ikorodureporta: 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
irunoko:
how can you say bush rat is forbidden....boy the smell of bushrat Eran igbe makes me salivate.when you yimata,o sweet jesus cheesy

Kowa gbe stout tutu silegbe ATI amala and ewedu cheesy

O my my cheesy

u dey really enjoy cheesy u b farmer??
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Mistaicey2288: 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
mansakhalifa:

I saw it alright.

Depends on what you might wanna call edible. smiley

Bats, rats, flies, roaches are all edible, you see?

So you mean eating life bats, flies, rats, roaches are edible to you and can be eaten by anyone like i said in my initial comment? If i may ask, what's your definition of edible because it seems your definition is different from mine...

Peep below to see my own understanding of that word and tell me if eating those things fits into this definition

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Lighthammer(m): 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
Briller:
Python
you asked me to pm you sir and i already did
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2020
cococandy:

I don’t think anybody eats vultures

You are wrong...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.