Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? (40238 Views)

What Food Do You Consider Overhyped In Terms Of Taste? (picture) / What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / What Food Is Forbidden In Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Barbienice(f): 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2020
part of Benue state where I come from we don't eat monkey meat.if you do,your body will start to decay.

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2020
ikorodureporta:

u dey really enjoy cheesy u b farmer??
I no be farmer o but I like wetin good for mouth cheesy
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by elniro: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ishilove:
Snails. Ukwuani land.

I've never eaten snails, will never knowingly eat them. If one unknowingly eats them, you're supposed to induce vomiting. If you can't, you're to go for ceremonial cleansing.
Seems it’s all over Ukwuani because amai doesn’t eat it too, never tried it before,even using a pot used to cook snail has effects

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by jubrilELsudan: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
KUKUNASE OF A MARRIED WOMAN.

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by blingxx(m): 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
I'm from ake in egbaland (abeokuta) taking palm wine is a taboo ...

But i drank to stupor last year out of ignorance ..i dont believe in all this crap undecided
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
Themandalorian:
I blame boredom for all this.
What are you saying?
You are among the few making the thread boring.
I am enjoying it, it is informative.
Stop being a sadist always, be happy for once.

2 Likes

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by SaintLucia: 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
Abacha. It always remind us how some people were mixing and eating all types of leaves due to hunger and the blockade of a particular region during the civil war. The food brings sad memory.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Zikofwest: 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
Well, I don't drink palm wine but that's more of a family thing.
I don't eat chicken either you know growing up used to see local breed ones in gutters and some at d junction eating sacrifice so I zeroed it out.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Pray2425: 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
Obonor
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2020
Barbienice:
part of Benue state where I come from we don't eat monkey meat.if you do,your body will start to decay.
rada rada

Nonsense.go and have a taste of monkey testicles or monkey laps.wholala, come back and thank me after eating it with semo and vegetable soup wink

The day I served my guest.she was asking for more smiley
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2020
Lostz:
I eat everything I like.

there are some animals we are not supposed to eat but I eat them because I was not there when they did whatever they did.

I didn't benefit so why should I pay the price?
What are those animals that you are not supposed to eat
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:19pm On Apr 14, 2020
xpool:

What are those animals that you are not supposed to eat
pigs
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by tpiar: 5:19pm On Apr 14, 2020
blingxx:
I'm from ake in egbaland (abeokuta) taking palm wine is a taboo ...

Never heard of that, especially since Amos Tutuola, author of The Palm Wine Drinkard (one of the most famous Yoruba books ever), was from Abeokuta.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:19pm On Apr 14, 2020
Realstick941:
I am hausa we look down on Goat meat
How?
Which do you value?
Is that you see it as poor folk meat?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by tpiar: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pray2425:
Obonor

I assume you mean ogbono?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by xpool(m): 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2020
Mistaicey2288:
Hmmm none I know of actually. And i haven't been told there's a particular food we don't eat in my tribe/culture.. I believe anything goes as long as it's something edible (can be eaten by anyone) and nutritious.
You say you dey reach una village?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:21pm On Apr 14, 2020
Plead:
I eat anything I like/want.
pig flesh nko?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 14, 2020
Mistaicey2288:

So you mean eating life bats, flies, rats, roaches are edible to you and can be eaten by anyone like i said in my initial comment? If i may ask, what's your definition of edible because it seems your definition is different from mine...

Peep below to see my own understanding of that word and tell me if eating those things fits into this definition

It's purely relative. Depends on what gets you salivating like that Pavlovian beast.

Like I said earlier, some guys in certain parts of the world are gonna eat roaches, worms whatever and smack their lips in delight. To such persons, roaches are edible whilst on the other side of the divide you might flinch in utter disgust.

In the end, it doesn't really change the fact that such creatures can still be termed "edible".

Whatever rocks your boat. Or as the oft-worn axiom goes, one man's meat is another's... you know the rest.

It's a crazy world of complexities and diversities.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Ishilove: 5:22pm On Apr 14, 2020
danchuzzy:

So you are Ukwuani? Ukwuani ebei?
Abbi
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by irunoko(m): 5:23pm On Apr 14, 2020
grin grin
IDFWU:
Hairy cat that smells like fish angry
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by majamajic(m): 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2020
Python , snakes and monkey

To mention very few
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2020
Hiqh2dkay:
There’s this insect we eat alive in my village during rainy season! It’s a taboo in the village next to us!

Termites
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Mistaicey2288: 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2020
mansakhalifa:

It's purely relative. Depends on what gets you salivating like that Pavlovian beast.

Like I said earlier, some guys in certain parts of the world are gonna eat roaches, worms whatever and smack their lips in delight. To such persons, roaches are edible whilst on the other side of the divide you might flinch in utter disgust.

In the end, it doesn't really change the fact that such creatures can still be termed "edible".

Whatever rocks your boat. Or as the oft-worn axiom goes, one man's meat is another's... you know the rest.

It's a crazy world of complexities and diversities.

Ok Sir. I hear you ooo
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by MzTunechi(f): 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2020
Rice grin
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Hemanwel(m): 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ishilove:
Snails. Ukwuani land.

I've never eaten snails, will never knowingly eat them. If one unknowingly eats them, you're supposed to induce vomiting. If you can't, you're to go for ceremonial cleansing.
IBU onye Ukwuani ebe? Umutu , Obiaruku,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Ishilove: 5:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
Chibossboi:

Which part of ukwuani.
Cus I don chop snail tire ooh.
It means you're eating out of ignorance. It's big taboo
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Ishilove: 5:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
Hemanwel:
IBU onye Ukwuani ebe? Umutu , Obiaruku,,,,,,,,,,,
Abbi
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Albert0011(m): 5:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ishilove:
Snails. Ukwuani land.

u be my sister o
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by AngelUhate: 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2020
StupidNLmods:
Fried human meat

But raw and cooked ones are allowed? sad
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Hemanwel(m): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ishilove:
Snails. Ukwuani land.

Ibu onye Ukwuani ebe? Umutu , Obiaruku, ogume, Abbi?

I am from Abbi, though!
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Ishilove: 5:28pm On Apr 14, 2020
cococandy:

If you don’t do any of those things, will anything happen?

Purely curious
I will have to ask my parents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.