Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? (40246 Views)

What Food Do You Consider Overhyped In Terms Of Taste? (picture) / What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / What Food Is Forbidden In Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by HappyRabi: 6:05pm On Apr 14, 2020
Njaba man
SweetCunt97:
Python meat.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by buygala(m): 6:06pm On Apr 14, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

My man, Tofi Una did not truly ground the legitimacy of this Tiv belief. It was not decided on the merits per se

Legitimate or not.....Adultery isn't an offence in Tiv land...finto
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by masterpix(m): 6:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pierced:
Dogs.

Modified......I am from Enugu state. Enugu Ezike. According to what I heard..... If u knowingly eat dogs.....u will av rashes in ur tongue and ur lips.
I They cut cap
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by aribs(m): 6:09pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:

The order you quited does not criminalize adultery...finito

Esentially, that order allowed the Respondent to walk free from the charge of adultery...

If you are a lawyer like myself, you will understand that it is trite that what isn't expressly prohibited is permissible
Agreed this law does not criminalize the act itself as indicated from the facts of the case. Is this technical decision your basis for asserting the tribe permits adultery? How about Sugh vs State (1988) 2NWLR PT 77 475 SC? Or Ahungur vs State (2012) 12 NWLR ( PT 1313) 187 SC ?or just carrying out an empirical study yourself to find out? And no I am.no lawyer , I just happened to have been called to bar in 2005

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by terpenoid(m): 6:10pm On Apr 14, 2020
I am from ukwani of which i ate snail knowingly and nothing happened, what you don't believe will never work for you,
Ishilove:
Snails. Ukwuani land.

I've never eaten snails, will never knowingly eat them. If one unknowingly eats them, you're supposed to induce vomiting. If you can't, you're to go for ceremonial cleansing.

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by kelmicheal: 6:10pm On Apr 14, 2020
eating cat meat is a taboo most of this food sellers and meat roasters use cat meat
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Roozyberry(f): 6:13pm On Apr 14, 2020
mine is ONA
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by buygala(m): 6:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
aribs:

Agreed this law does not criminalize the act itself as indicated from the facts of the case. Is this technical decision yoiur basis for asserting the tribe permits adultery? How about Sugh vs State (1988) 2NWLR PT 77 475 SC? Or Ahungur vs State (2012) 12 NWLR ( PT 1313) 187 SC ?or just carrying out an empirical study yourself to find out? And no I am.no lawyer , I just happened to have been called to bar in 2005

If you actually read that case of Tofi v Uba, you will understand that the ordinance was juxtaposed with the part of section 36 CFRN which prohibits a person from being tried much less convicted for an offence not stipulated in a written law...

Good Sir, criminal laws are by their nature prohibitive, not permissive...it is trite that anything not expressly prohibited is permitted...
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by glosplendid(f): 6:20pm On Apr 14, 2020
Awka people (Anambra state).. Forbids monkey
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by SweetCunt97(f): 6:21pm On Apr 14, 2020
HappyRabi:
Njaba man
mba
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by aribs(m): 6:27pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:

If you actually read that case of Tofi v Uba, you will understand that the ordinance was juxtaposed with the part of section 36 CFRN which prohibits a person from being tried much less convicted for an offence not stipulated in a written law...

Good Sir, criminal laws are by their nature prohibitive, not permissive...it is trite that anything not expressly prohibited is permitted...
Sir your lead post said this is a permissible action for this tribe and I will argue that this is a sweeping statement that holds no basis. You have singled out one tribe in your assertion based on a case of an individual..rightly the law cited: section 33 1979 constitution now equivalent of section 36 does not criminalize this action. Does this then not mean that same section is applicable to all other tribes in Nigeria, particularly seeing the fact that the ordinance cited is no longer law in Benue? After all you are making this sweeping statement in 2020 here
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by buygala(m): 6:39pm On Apr 14, 2020
aribs:

Sir your lead post said this is a permissible action for this tribe and I will argue that this is a sweeping statement that holds no basis. You have singled out one tribe in your assertion based on a case of an individual..rightly the law cited: section 33 1979 constitution now equivalent of section 36 does not criminalize this action. Does this then not mean that same section is applicable to all other tribes in Nigeria, particularly seeing the fact that the ordinance cited is no longer law in Benue? After all you are making this sweeping statement in 2020 here

I never said Adultery is permitted everywhere...just among the TIV...I Don't know where you got that Sir...

And yes...that ordinance is still in place in Benue...ols do well to show proof of it repealed as you allege..

Adultery is still not an offence among the TIV...#fact
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by adadike(f): 6:40pm On Apr 14, 2020
Python and dog meat.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by aribs(m): 6:49pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:

I never said Adultery is permitted everywhere...just among the TIV...I Don't know where you got that Sir...

And yes...that ordinance is still in place in Benue...ols do well to show proof of it repealed as you allege..

Adultery is still not an offence among the TIV...#fact

Which fact are you mentioning sir. I am.not even Tiv but I have taken the time to study that allegation and I have found it to be false. Maybe you can let me know where this " fact " is . Empirical study ? You are Tiv yourself ? Beer parlor rumours? Hearsay? Oh to the ordinance unfortunately I dont live in Nigeria at the moment so I am.not in a.position to show you. Your case law ( specific fact based ) which you have used to cast sweeping assertions about this tribe? Pray do tell
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Truth3077: 6:49pm On Apr 14, 2020
It is a lie.
Pierced:
Dogs.

Modified......I am from Enugu state. Enugu Ezike. According to what I heard..... If u knowingly eat dogs.....u will av rashes in ur tongue and ur lips.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by jubrilELsudan: 6:50pm On Apr 14, 2020
tpia:

I've reported this person, mod kindly remove the post, it's so annoying.

YOU ARE VERY STUPID.

CORONA FALL INSIDE YOUR ANUS.

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by kalvoken(m): 6:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pierced:
Dogs.

Which side in Ezike-oba?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Odunolumide(m): 6:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
StupidNLmods:
Fried human meat

O jebi

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Pierced(f): 6:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
Truth3077:
It is a lie.

Why do u think so?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by rayobaba(m): 7:00pm On Apr 14, 2020
Zombiekiller010:
Food with no salt for 8 days for a woman that just gave birth( Yoruba call it obe Ate), i heard if someone dare it, the baby will die
if true, it could be dt cos by the eight day, there won't be salt for d woman body and consequently maybe baby needs dt salt from d mother's breast milk. Except dt, l no believe
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Pierced(f): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2020
kalvoken:

Which side in Ezike-oba?

Ugbaike

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by kalvoken(m): 7:04pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pierced:

Ugbaike

Wow. Imufu!

1 Like

Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by olamilarks(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:
Chopping another man's wife is a taboo in my village ...''chopping" as in ''fvcking"....

But i understand that in some parts of Benue State, men give out their wives and daughters as Kola to visitors shocked...as in if you are spending the night in his house, he can delegate one of his wives or daughters to keep you in satisfactory coital company overnight....

Point is....one man's meat is another man's poison cool

Modified

I have been getting some mentions telling me the Benue tradition I stated above isn't true...sad

Up till tomorrow, adultery is not prohibited among the Tivi tribe in Benue State..there, you cannot be convicted for knacking someone's wife...

If you think I am lying, please find and read the cases of Apiko V Ikogi and Tofi v Uba, the latter having been decided by the Nigerian Court of Appeal..

For ease of reference, here are the cases' Court citations:

Tofi v Uba (1987) 3 NWLR PT.62 P.723 PARA A-H

APIKO UNOGWU V GABRIEL IKOGI-APPEAL NO. OHC/19A/2008
This Bros is a lawyer right?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by agadam(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pierced:
Dogs.

Etteh right?
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by olamilarks(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:
Chopping another man's wife is a taboo in my village ...''chopping" as in ''fvcking"....

But i understand that in some parts of Benue State, men give out their wives and daughters as Kola to visitors shocked...as in if you are spending the night in his house, he can delegate one of his wives or daughters to keep you in satisfactory coital company overnight....

Modified

I have been getting some mentions telling me the Benue tradition I stated above isn't true...sad

Up till tomorrow, adultery is not prohibited among the Tivi tribe in Benue State..there, you cannot be convicted for knacking someone's wife...

If you think I am lying, please find and read the cases of Apiko V Ikogi and Tofi v Uba, the latter having been decided by the Nigerian Court of Appeal..

I like the fact backup!
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by biafraisdead(m): 7:10pm On Apr 14, 2020
WildChild00:

Who told you I am from Ijaw? Why do you have always play into people's intelligence?
Shatap u are ijaw, why deny ur people.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by biafraisdead(m): 7:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
WildChild00:

Did I tell you I have corona virius,? grin
We hate u this ijaw bastard.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by olamilarks(m): 7:12pm On Apr 14, 2020
I don't eat:
Pig
Dog
Reasons:
Grew up in a Muslim home.
I also don't eat salted ram, hated those from the plenty Ileyas growing up. I don't like catfish anything, tasted bushmeat recently, found out I didn't really like the gamey taste of the meat, will rather not try it again.
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Pierced(f): 7:12pm On Apr 14, 2020
agadam:

Etteh right?

Nope......is etteh even Enugu Ezike? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by buygala(m): 7:12pm On Apr 14, 2020
aribs:

Which fact are you mentioning sir. I am.not even Tiv but I have taken the time to study that allegation and I have found it to be false. Maybe you can let me know where this " fact " is . Empirical study ? You are Tiv yourself ? Beer parlor rumours? Hearsay? Oh to the ordinance unfortunately I dont live in Nigeria at the moment so I am.not in a.position to show you. Your case law ( specific fact based ) which you have used to cast sweeping assertions about this tribe? Pray do tell

Sir, if you are truly a lawyer like you allege, you will understand that my allegation of fact is based on a Tiv Ordinance already judicially recognized by Nigerian Courts...So I have nothing else to prove to you

Since you are alleging that the said ordinance has been repealed, it is for you to back up your claim with facts...if you are a lawyer, you will also know that the Evidence Act provides that he who asserts must prove...you are the one asserting that adultery is now an offence in Tiv Land, the Ordinance having been repealed... it's up to you to prove that...

This is very basic law..at least in Nigeria...if you cant appreciate this, then you are on your own Sir
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by domido(m): 7:14pm On Apr 14, 2020
Tina001 porst=88439716:
Dog, snail, snake, human meat
Snake meat. The best you'll ever eat tongue tongue
Re: What Food Items Are Taboo In Your Traditional Nigerian Culture? by Jeffyblaq(m): 7:14pm On Apr 14, 2020
buygala:

Modified

This man!

Pls just go with your wahala..

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.