Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Nigerian Academia In Diaspora - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (30522 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Nigerians In Diaspora Badmouth Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by semid4lyfe(m): 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2011
Hmmm, I just had to dig up this thread to post this. I know DK (and this thread) has a bias for those in Science, Medicine & the Engineering fields but I think this woman; Yetunde Antonia Schleicher is simply amazing.

Remember the 5 Yoruba speaking ''Oyinbo'' Americans presently living in Ibadan & studying Yoruba at U.I? Well, she's the coordinator of the language exchange programme that brought them to Nigeria. One of them; the author of this biography (Caraline ''Titilayo'' Harshman) has her videos all over youtube so you may want to check her out. . . . .

It's more of a biography than an academic profile but it'll do. . . . . .Ileke-Idi and all the ''yorubacentric'' Nairalanders go trip grin

To Give Your Life For Your Language
by Cara Harshman
http://401.journalism.wisc.edu/profiles/antonia-schleicher-a-woman-who-gives-her-life-for-her-language/profile-narrative/

[/b]Before she said her first word or stood up on her own, Antonia Schleicher had a fan club. This was not your typical fan club. The members did not come together out of shared interest or obsession for this infant girl. They did it to save her life.

Born in southwestern Nigeria, Schleicher entered the world so sickly that her parents thought she might die young. To seek a cure, they did what any other family in the town would do. They took her to the traditional diviner, the healer, the babalawo in Yoruba, her first language.

The diviner said Antonia–then known by her Yoruba name, Yetunde–had an affinity to the spiritual world. He said she was a leader in that world and warned her parents that they must establish a club for her and make her the leader or else the spirits would pull her back into their world.

Her parents obeyed the diviner’s prediction and held ceremonies for her every year until she told them she had had enough. At the ripe age of 11, like most children in Nigeria, it was time for Yetunde to start high school.

Since those years, Schleicher’s successes have been abundant. At 56-years-old, five-feet tall and a recent American citizen, she is living out the babalawo’s prophecy, regardless of the fact she does not believe in such divine things.

“Even though I don’t believe in things like that, it’s amazing; all my life, even when I don’t campaign for leadership, I will be selected,” Schleicher says, sitting comfortably on her rolling chair in her 14th floor office looking out on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. Since starting out as an assistant professor of African languages and literature here in 1989, she has filled enough leadership roles in the realm of international African language pedagogy for five people.

It was while writing her master’s thesis in linguistics at the University of Ibadan in 1981, that Schleicher seized the opportunity to study in the United States. At 29 years old Schleicher left Nigeria for the first time and arrived at the University of Kansas, planning to study for 10 months on a cultural exchange program. She became so enamored with the U.S. and its education system that she decided to pursue a career here teaching Yoruba. Since then, her life in America has developed into something far beyond what she planned.

Schleicher is the founder and executive director of the National African Language Resource Center, the executive director of the National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages, the executive director of the African Language Teachers Association, on the board of directors at the Joint National Council of Languages and now a tenured professor of African languages and literature.[/b]

Add wife and mother of two to the list.

“She can’t sit still,” Charles, her American husband of 21 years, says. “She’s just not really in control of that. She has to be doing something all the time.”

Above anything else, Schleicher says she is constantly listening.

Before she started at UW-Madison, the language organizations she leads now either did not exist or were floundering, in dire need of revival. Over the years she saw a need for them, created them and made them powerful. As Charles puts it, “she really likes to see weak things become strong.”

“I always tell my staff that I only see myself as a visionary,” Schleicher says in her gentle, eloquent English accent, influenced with hints of British from Britain’s 60-year colonial occupation of Nigeria. Her English is lyrical. Since Yoruba language has three tones–low, mid and high–Yoruba people accentuate English syllables with the same singsong intonation.

“When I go for meetings, I listen to what people are saying, like ‘Oh, we don’t have this; oh, I wish we had this in my program.’ Then I’m thinking, OK how can this be done?” she says.

Complaints she heard from African language teachers about the lack of teaching materials and professional development in the field inspired her to apply for a federal grant through the Department of Education. In 1999, the department awarded her the funds to start the first National African Language Resource Center in the United States.

The center operates in a Madison campus building out of six small offices off of a tiny stretch of hallway barely wide enough for two people to pass. It has trained more than 200 African languages instructors and developed teaching materials for more than 40 African languages.

“She builds institutions,” says Dustin Cowell, chair of the African languages and literature department at UW-Madison.

For her small stature, Schleicher has a tenacious presence in a room. She is always well dressed, switching off wearing traditional Yoruba skirts and blouses with bright fabrics, and tailored Western style suits. The black scarf around her head keeps her warm and hides her hair if she does not have time to have it braided. When she laughs in her joyous, full-bodied, hysterical laugh, which is often, students cannot help but laugh with her.

Cowell has acted as chair of the department three separate times over the course of Schleicher’s career at UW-Madison. He has also observed first hand her role as a catalyst of African language learning on campus and worldwide.

While teaching Yoruba language at Yale University for two years before she applied for a job at UW, Schleicher wrote the textbooks that defined the curriculum for introductory level Yoruba language classes. Six Yoruba graduate students from Nigeria currently use these books to teach about 30 UW-Madison undergrads.

Seven of these students are leaving for Nigeria in June to spend a full year studying Yoruba at the University of Ibadan, Schleicher’s alma mater. This program, The Language Flagship, is the first of its kind for Yoruba and Swahili and another program Schleicher has been instrumental in building.

The international scope and richness of the African language teaching network Schleicher has orchestrated from the ground up is a testament to her innate tendency to take on many tasks, the trait she identifies as her biggest weakness.

“Many times I take on too much. I don’t know when to say no,” she says.

Schleicher is known to stay up all night either in her home office or at one of her two campus offices, finishing projects to meet deadlines. The amount of work she undertakes is not only overwhelming for her at some times, but it also keeps her from spending time at home with her daughter Carla, 20, and son Anthony, 17.

“I wish that when they were younger I had more time,” she says. “My husband is the one who goes to their games and everything. I feel jealous of him for that because I really would have loved to be home with the kids.”

When Carla and Anthony were babies, Charles was at home working on his dissertation while Schleicher was in the first years of her assistant professorship at UW-Madison.

“I was young enough that I don’t remember but my dad says that I would ask him if my mom loved me anymore,” Carla, a junior at University of Minnesota says. “I used to think that maybe she wasn’t around because she didn’t like me.”

As Carla got older, she says her mom was home more and completely made up for not being around when she was younger. “When I was ten and eleven she made more effort to spend more time alone with me. She kind of felt like she needed to make up for when she wasn’t there when I was younger,” Carla says.

Working with her mom in the NALRC office last summer, Carla was really able to understand the success her mom has achieved and strides she has made for African language pedagogy.

About 25 million people worldwide speak Yoruba–most of them in southwestern Nigeria. And now thanks to Schleicher, more and more college students from the United States too.

Kevin Barry, a UW sophomore from Neenah, Wis., is one of them.

Barry and his fellow classmates see Schleicher as their Yoruba professor who strives to help them improve their language skills.

“Every time I take a (language) proficiency test with Professor Schleicher, she always stops afterwards and has a conversation… she always says ‘What can I do to help you do better?’” Barry says.

As the first group of students to go through the African language Flagship program, they also see the business side of her that works tirelessly, flying to and from Nigeria multiple times each semester to establish it as an official study abroad program.

Her fervent dedication to providing opportunities and resources for her students won her a 2010 Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award.

“It’s really a big deal to her to develop people,” Charles says. “One of the most deeply satisfying things for her is to find people who are weak and help them overcome those weaknesses and develop their strengths.”

Charles recalls a time they were just newlyweds living in Madison when Antonia befriended a Jamaican woman she met on the bus. This woman opened up to Schleicher and shared her stories of child abuse, her psychotic mother, lack of education and severe emotional and psychological stress. When Schleicher met her, she was living in a women’s homeless shelter.

With time and tough love, Schleicher worked with her to revive her mind to be healthy and sound. Now working a job and living in her own condo, this woman is one of the many people Schleicher has touched and empowered in her lifetime.

It is almost a guarantee that every higher education African language teacher in the world has heard Schleicher’s name before. She credits herself for uniting the small, scattered African language programs that existed in the U.S. in the mid-1990s and professionalizing them into a nationwide effort to improve African language pedagogies.

Today, her efforts reach far beyond U.S. borders.

ALTA and NCOLTCL are on their 14th and 13th year respectively hosting international language conferences. Schleicher and her staff organize top African language professors from universities in the U.S., South Africa, Turkey, Nigeria, Kenya, Thailand and Canada to gather every year to discuss issues pertinent to language pedagogies.

“Professor Schleicher is a workaholic,” says Akinsola Ogundeji, a lecturer for Yoruba language classes who just finished his thesis evaluating 10 elementary Yoruba language textbooks. “I don’t think I can catch up with her. I don’t know how much she is able to sleep within the 24 hours in a day. I don’t know how much time she has for her family.”

Schleicher does have remorse for not being home and with her children more, but she says it helps that Charles and she share the same belief that parenting is not just a woman’s role.

“He doesn’t see himself as being less of a man for doing his role as a father,” Schleicher says. “I still play my role at home as a woman, as the wife.”

Amid her professional responsibilities, Schleicher still prioritizes and enjoys cleaning her home, doing laundry, buying groceries and cooking.

Dinner is her special time of the day. Depending on the day of the week, Schleicher and Charles might be at church or Anthony at Eagle Scouts and Carla away at University of Minnesota. They might not eat together, but like a traditional Yoruba household, Schleicher will always keep a stew or meal in the fridge.

When they are all home for dinner, the hundreds of e-mails, meeting agendas, phone calls and constant questions from her staff take the back burner. Charles is standing around the kitchen while she cooks, talking about the latest news and occasionally running quick errands around the house to fetch extra ingredients she runs out of. Anthony might also be in the kitchen, adding humor to the conversation or at the kitchen table working in his sketchbook.

After dinner and a cup of her favorite ginger tea with 100 percent pure honey she brings back from every trip to Nigeria, she’s back to work, sorting out the latest task.

“All I know is that before I go to bed every night, I’m always thinking of all the things that I still haven’t done that I wanted to do,” she says as her computer chimes, telling her she has a new e-mail. “And I know I’m involved in a lot of things.”
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by oduasolja: 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2011
igbobuigbo . i see u don turn this thread into tribalistic rant. ok now keep on rocking.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Kilode1: 6:02pm On Nov 27, 2011
Great post Semid4lyfe, absolutely inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by tarano: 6:46pm On Nov 27, 2011
I respect these professionals in the academia for their discipline and dedication to their career. I have met a couple of these individuals personally. Guys it is not easy. Considering all the societal pressure from family and friends in Nigeria. Most Nigerian come to America to make money.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by tosine25: 9:21am On Nov 28, 2011
Nice one Semid, I'm proud to be a Nigerian
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 12:00pm On Nov 28, 2011
No big deal jare.
We are 160 million people after all. Should we not have like half a million academics in diaspora, and maybe another 2 million at home?
These things are neither here nor there jare. It's just like celebrating how many footballers we have in the diaspora, and we can't even qualify for the AFCON undecided

tarano:

I respect these professionals in the academia for their discipline and dedication to their career. I have met a couple of these individuals personally. Guys it is not easy. Considering all the societal pressure from family and friends in Nigeria. Most Nigerian come to America to make money.

Haba, are they not being paid money?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 6:19pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dr. Benedict D. Ilozor, Ph.D., MNIA, FMA, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C
Professor & Research Coordinator
Architecture & Construction

Eastern Michigan University
School of Engineering Technology
Construction Management Programs
206 Roosevelt Hall
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

http://www.emich.edu/cot/profiles/ben_ilozor.htm
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by dayokanu(m): 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2012
dayokanu: [size=18pt]ILESANMI ADESIDA[/size]

Adesida earned his bachelor’s degree in 1974, his master’s in 1975, and his doctorate in 1979, all in electrical engineering from the University of California at Berkeley. After finishing his doctorate, he worked briefly at [b]Cornell Univ[/b]ersity and then as a university administrator in Nigeria, his native country. He joined the Illinois faculty in 1987, and became a U.S. citizen in 2002.

Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, the Materials Research Society, and the Society for Engineering Education.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/06/0503adesida.html

I profiled this man here like 2 yrs ago. He has now been made VC

Congrats Ilesanmi
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 11:11pm On Sep 17, 2012
I remember this thread. I left it and stopped bothering about updating it when other posters started making it ethnic. grin grin Otherwise I would have updated it as I've come across a whole slew of Nigerian academics since the time that this thread was active.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by pazienza(m): 11:40pm On Sep 17, 2012
Yea,i remember this thread too. Nchara/igbobuigbo used it to debunk the claim that yorubas are the most educated tribe in nigeria,this thread was a bomb.At the end of it,it was obvious which tribe was the clear leader.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2012
pazienza: Yea,i remember this thread too. Nchara/igbobuigbo used it to debunk the claim that yorubas are the most educated tribe in nigeria,this thread was a bomb.At the end of it,it was obvious which tribe was the clear leader.

Well there are even more Igbo academics than what he posted. But there are also many more academics abroad from other groups (including from the group Nchara/igbobuigbo was posting against) than what others posted. So there's not some kind of clear cut conclusion to be drawn from the thread since people just left it alone and didn't stretch it out to as many pages as possible. I doubt that anyone can prove the frequently made "most educated in Nigeria" claim anyway.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by pazienza(m): 1:45am On Sep 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Well there are even more Igbo academics than what he posted. But there are also many more academics abroad from other groups (including from the group Nchara/igbobuigbo was posting against) than what others posted. So there's not some kind of clear cut conclusion to be drawn from the thread since people just left it alone and didn't stretch it out to as many pages as possible. I doubt that anyone can prove the frequently made "most educated in Nigeria" claim anyway.

We can only work with what we have,if you know anymore yoruba/bini academia in diaspora,post them here,let the head count continue,stop making up excuses.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 1:57am On Sep 18, 2012
pazienza:

We can only work with what we have,if you know anymore yoruba/bini academia in diaspora,post them here,let the head count continue,stop making up excuses.

lol, excuses? I'm pretty sure other academics that were not mentioned here have even been posted on other threads so a sensible person would know that many other academics have not been listed. Also if you followed all my posts on here I wasn't exclusively listing any ethnic group, I just listed more people from my part of Nigeria since they wouldn't have been listed anyway the way the thread was going. A while back when I came across the profiles of Bruce Ovbiagele, Kunle Odunsi, and Chimay Anumba, all highly accomplished academics from Nigeria, I thought about upping this thread again to post them, but I read over the thread again and realized the thread was becoming a platform for ethnic/tribal stuff more than for what it was originally intended so I didn't bother.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by charlie193: 3:42pm On Jan 03, 2013
PhysicsQED

Please where are you now. I have an idea that I have been working on since summer last year. I am with a group of other PhD students here in Canada. Where are planning of doing a documentary of some of the notable Nigerians Scholars around the world. We want to document their research and interview as many as we can. Please why not contact me at charlesnwaizu@gmail.com. Please it is Urgent. God bless.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by bayfam(m): 8:51am On Sep 12, 2013
HELLO NL,
THIS IS FOR THOSE GREAT NIGERIANS STAYING OUT THEIR MOTHERLAND MEET HERE OTHERS IN DIASPORA LIKE YOU.....@

https://www./150228815141816/

BE HAPPY TO CONNECT WITH OTHERS AROUND THE WORLD, YOU CAN NEVER SAY WHO YOUR NEIGHBOUR WILL BE SO FEEL FREE TO ADD OTHERS TOO.... SEND THE MESSAGE ACCROSS AND FIND A FRIEND

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 5:02am On Sep 17, 2013
fighting back for the yoruba. i will show una .

omowunmi sadik

AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) - (2012)
Chancellor's Award for Scholarship & Creative Activities (2011)
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2010)
NSF Discovery Corps Senior Fellow (2005-2006)
Fellow, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University (2003-2004)
Dean’s Distinguished Lecturer (2003)
Outstanding Inventor (2002)
Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research (2001).
NRC COBASE Fellow (2000)

http://chemiris.chem.binghamton.edu/SADIK/sadik.htm
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 5:15am On Sep 17, 2013
Adekunle Adeyeye

http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/eleaao/Adekunle_Adeyeye/Home.html

Adekunle Adeyeye is a Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the National University of Singapore. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics, Fellow of the Institute of Nanotechnology and Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He is one of the principal investigators at the Information Storage Materials Lab. He is also a Fellow of the Singapore-MIT Alliance (SMA), Advanced Materials for Micro & Nano Systems, He has won many awards and was named one of the top 100 young innovators in the world by TR100, an award winning MIT magazine on technology. He was a winner of the 2004 NUS Young Researcher Award.
Adekunle graduated with a First Class Honors from the University of IIorin, Nigeria in 1990. He obtained his MPhil in Microelectronics Engineering and Semiconductor Physics and PhD at the Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge in 1993 and 1996 respectively. He was elected a Research Fellow at Trinity College, University of Cambridge in 1996. He then worked as a Senior Research Engineer at the Data Storage Institute, Singapore in 1997, before returning to Cambridge to take up his fellowship at the Nanoscale Science Laboratory. He joined the National University of Singapore as an Assistant Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering in May 2000 and was promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure in January 2006. In July 2012, he was promoted to a Full Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering @ NUS.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 5:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Moji Christianah Adeyeye, Ph.D.Moji
madeyeye@roosevelt.edu
College of Pharmacy
Professor of Pharmaceutics
Chair of Biopharmaceutical Sciences Schaumburg room: SCH-225 Schaumburg phone: 847-330-4547 Schaumburg fax: 847-330-4525

Institution/Location Degree Year

University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria B. S 1976

Pharmaceutics, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA M.S 1985

Pharmaceutics, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA Ph.D 1988

http://sites.roosevelt.edu/madeyeye/
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 5:22am On Sep 17, 2013
John O. Adeyeye Ph.D
Chair
Professor of Mathematics

146 Carolina Hall
336-750-2897
adeyeyej@wssu.edu

Education
B.S., University of Ibadan, Nigeria
M.S., Ph.D., Imperial College of Science and Technology, London
https://www.wssu.edu/college-arts-science/departments/mathematics/default.aspx
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 5:25am On Sep 17, 2013
Alfred Aanuoluwapo Akinsete, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair of Department
Department of Mathematics
College of Science
Marshall University
http://science.marshall.edu/akinsete/
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 6:05am On Sep 17, 2013
PROFESSOR PHILIP OGUNBONA

Philip was educated in Nigeria where he obtained the BSc(Hons)(1st Class) (Electronic and Electrical Engineering) from the University of Ife (now named Obafemi Awolowo University). He studied at the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Medicine and Technology, University of London and obtained the DIC and PhD for research conducted in the field of Image Processing.

He joined the University of Wollongong, School of Electrical, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering in 1990 and taught subjects at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Subjects taught include, Circuit Theory, Electronic Circuit and Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Queueing Theory. His research interest include, image and video compression, image segmentation and analysis, and digital signal processing.

He left the University in 1998 to join the Visual Information Processing Lab, Motorola Labs in Sydney. He was Principal Research Engineer and later became the foundation Manager of the Digital Media Collection and Management Lab, Motorola Labs, Sydney. While at Motorola Labs, he worked on a range of research projects including, image and video segmentation, image compression (he was part of the Motorola team that worked on the JPEG2000 standardization), digital camera image processing, stereo image processing, multimedia security (watermarking and authentication) and multimedia content management for broadband applications.

Apart from the many publications emanating from the research output, Philip was also co-author of several patent disclosures. He currently has four patents filed in the US and has published over 45 journal and conference papers. His current research interest include image and video processing, video surveillance, multimedia security and multimedia content management

He is a Senior Member of the IEEE and member of the IEEE NSW Committee. He has also served as the Chair of the IEEE Joint Chapter of the Communications and Signal Processing.

In 2004, Philip returned to the University of Wollongong, School of Information Technology and Computer Science (later Computer Science and Software Engineering), as Professor and Head of School. In January 2009 he was appointed Dean of Informatics.

http://www.uow.edu.au/about/who/UOW059333.html
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 6:10am On Sep 17, 2013
http://ei.et.tudelft.nl/people/biography/projectleaders/makinwa_kofi.htm

Kofi Makinwa holds degrees from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (B.Sc., M.Sc.), Philips International Institute, Eindhoven (M.E.E.), and Delft University of Technology, Delft (Ph.D.). From 1989 to 1999, he was a research scientist at Philips Research Laboratories, where he designed sensor systems for interactive displays, and analog front-ends for optical and magnetic recording systems. In 1999 he joined Delft University of Technology, where he is currently an Antoni van Leuwenhoek Professor of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Engineering.

Dr. Makinwa holds 15 patents, and has authored or co-authored 4 books and over 160 technical papers. He is on the program committee of the European Solid-State Circuits Conference (ESSCIRC) and the Advances in Analog Circuit Design (AACD) workshop. From 2006 to 2012, he was on the program committee of the International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC). He has also served as a distinguished lecturer of the IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society (2008 to 2011) and as a guest editor of the Journal of Solid-State Circuits (JSSC). He has given invited talks and tutorials at several international conferences including ISSCC, ESSCIRC and the VLSI symposium.

For his Ph.D. research, Dr. Makinwa was awarded the title of 'Simon Stevin Gezel' by the Dutch Technology Foundation (STW). In 2005, he received a VENI grant from the Dutch Scientific Foundation (NWO). He is a co-recipient of several best paper awards: from the JSSC (1), ISSCC (4), ESSCIRC (2) and Transducers (1). He is an IEEE Fellow, an alumnus of the Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) and an elected member of the AdCom of the IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 6:28am On Sep 17, 2013
Professor John Durodola
He has been involved in a number of multi-disciplinary research projects for power plant, automotive and aerospace industries.

Professor Durodola did his PhD at Imperial College, London, where his work led to new Hermitian and Overhauser boundary elements. Whilst at Oxford University, he developed a generalisation of McLean’s creep model to include the effect of inherent residual stresses and possibilities for instantaneous matrix plastic flow upon loading. Since joining Oxford Brookes University in 1994, one of his achievements is the development of a method for simultaneous determination of tensile and compressive material behaviours from bend tests only.

John is also Head of the Stress and Materials, Analysis, Research and Testing (SMART) Group at Oxford Brookes University.

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/profiles/staff/professor-john-durodola/
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 6:44am On Sep 17, 2013
Ayodeji Demuren

Professor of Mechanical Engineering
(B.S., Ph.D., Imperial College, London)

Tel: (757) 683-6363
Fax: (757) 683-5344
Email: ademuren@odu.edu

Department of Mechanical Engineering
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529

Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics AIAA

Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME

Member, American Physical Society APS

Fellow, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK IMechE

http://www.mem.odu.edu/~demuren/
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by dayokanu(m): 6:49am On Sep 17, 2013
Ife always representing
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by buffny: 6:57am On Sep 17, 2013
Adeniyi Lawal

Education
McGill University Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, 1985 Massachusetts Institute of Technology S.M. in Chemical Engineering, 1982 University of Ibadan, Nigeria B.Sc. Honors in Engineering, 1978

http://www.stevens.edu/green/faculty_profile.php?faculty_id=9

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Help4rmme2u(m): 9:29pm On Nov 04, 2013
nigerian education is at risk. jonathan do something

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari & Her Husband, Ahmed Indimi At Hanan Buhari's Photo Exhibition / 2023: Why I Met With APC Governors – Tinubu / Kwankwaso Is Working For Tinubu- Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.