Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Nigerian Academia In Diaspora - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (30516 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Nigerians In Diaspora Badmouth Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by tjadeba(m): 8:14pm On Dec 14, 2010
IKPE (JUSTICE) AKPAN- Tutor Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver,Canada

Justice Akpan, Lecturer: Information Systems and Decision Sciences, holds a PhD in Management Science (Operational Research) from Lancaster University and a Master of Science degree in Software Development from Leeds Metropolitan University, both in the United Kingdom. His areas of research include three-dimensional (3D) visualization and decision-support systems, application of virtual reality in discrete-event simulation, web-based simulation, usability engineering, e-business operations and business process re-engineering. As an active researcher, he has published papers in the areas of 3D visualization and applications of virtual reality in computer simulation.

Dr Akpan has previously taught a number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Information Technology and Management/Decision Sciences in two different continents including Western Europe (United Kingdom) and Africa. Some of these courses include Introduction to Computer Programming, E-business Applications Development, Systems Design with Unified Modeling Language (UML) and Rational Rose, Operations Management, Statistics, Quantitative Methods for Management and Introduction to Business Management.

Justice is also a highly qualified IT professional and as worked as Software Developer, Business Systems Analyst and Consultant for private companies, government departments, educational institutions and public services in the UK, USA, Canada and Africa.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2010
Nchara:

Of all the folks listed there only three (to the best of my knowledge) have managed to turn their brain into money/development in Nigeria
1. Bart Nnaji of geometric power
2. Ndubuisi Ekekwe of Afrit/Ovim PC
3. Manny Aniebonam of Afrihub

Not yet. They have done absolutely nothing compared to those folks I listed from Sudan, Egypt, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
I don't even know what either Ovim PC or Afrihub is about, and I'm working in that sector.

By contrast, MTN, Econet, Orascom, Celtel, are all well-known, not only in Nigeria, but across the African continent, as well as the middle East.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 8:36pm On Dec 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Not yet. They have done absolutely nothing compared to those folks I listed from Sudan, Egypt, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
I don't even know what either Ovim PC or Afrihub is about, and I'm working in that sector.

By contrast, MTN, Econet, Orascom, Celtel, are all well-known, not only in Nigeria, but across the African continent, as well as the middle East.

So those guys you listed are Nigerians and are academics?
If you do not know what Afrit/Ovim and Afrihub is about, why not find out?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2010
Nchara:

So those guys you listed are Nigerians and are academics?
If you do not know what Ovim or Afrihub is about, why not find out?

They're not Nigerians. They're Africans. They are well-educated but are not academics.
Are we listing academics here for listings' sake? If that's the case, I go with Becomrich once again grin
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

They're not Nigerians. They're Africans. They are well-educated but are not academics.
Are we listing academics here for listings' sake? If that's the case, I go with Becomrich once again grin

What does the title of the thread say?
Then work back to my first post that you responded to and link up with you and Becomerich's thoughts.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 9:09pm On Dec 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

If your life aspiration is money-making, keep off academics. Academics teach how to make money; not NECESSARILY make the money themselves. Few academics, if any, are among the wealthiest people in the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 10:03pm On Dec 14, 2010
Let's leave money out of this. There are far more Nigerian entrepreneurs with no connections to academia than there are entrepreneurial professors and furthermore, there are more Nigerians with or without connections to academia that are entrepreneurs but are not in diaspora and thus would not qualify for discussion in this thread. This thread really started off about good research and ideas from those abroad- whether science, history, art, comparative literature, etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2010
dayokanu:

He also mentioned some guys but I am still trying to get more information on them

e.g Ojo Ayeni, Soji Adeyi, Dabiri.

Dr. Olusoji Adeyi is the coordinator for the World Bank's Communicable Diseases Team. But I couldn't find any more information than that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by member479760: 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
We need to get it straight that theoretical knowledge without practical applications will only result to names and not development.  Ajaokuta steel complex commenced in 1979, in 1994, 99% of the project was completed, till date we cannot even produce anything, but Nigeria has scientists are all over the world. What they all offered was, they will supervise the completion. Why not taking liability to complete the project with locals?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 10:29pm On Dec 14, 2010
Dapobear:
Hrm. Thinking about it further, I'm starting to think that the fields more likely to be immediately useful to Nigeria are things like medicine and finance. PhDs in math/physics/engineering aren't as practical for a country that doesn't really develop anything.

Otoh, expertise in medicine and finance are useful everywhere, even in Nigeria. Finance especially will lead to enough capital to develop other areas. Econ and finance are certainly viewed as less prestigious than these other areas, but being able to build a good banking system (for example) is likely to be of more practical benefit to Nigeria than most other things.

Thoughts? Am I totally off base?

Everything you are saying makes sense from a practical point of view but the real problem is this:

Past a certain level of intelligence, or a certain level of intelligence & creativity, no intellectually minded person can give up something like scientific research for finance. To do so would mean the complete surrender of one's own inclinations, desires, dreams, aspirations, etc. to unrewarding conformity. Thus even if one were to do so- and I doubt that this often happens- one would enter one's new, more practical field with no passion or seriousness about the field.

Consequently people beyond a certain level of intelligence pursue their theoretical interests and end up, ironically, being less "useful" to Nigeria than most others that are less intelligent despite the fact that the research these people (physicists, mathematicians, research engineers, etc.) pursue might be more significant and useful to posterity and to the world than practical pursuits.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by SEFAGO(m): 10:44pm On Dec 14, 2010
Past a certain level of intelligence, or a certain level of intelligence & creativity, no intellectually minded person can give up something like scientific research for finance. To do so would mean the complete surrender of one's own inclinations, desires, dreams, aspirations, etc. to unrewarding conformity. Thus even if one were to do so- and I doubt that this often happens- one would enter one's new, more practical field with no passion or seriousness about the field.

Tell that to theoretical physicists and chemists who spend most of their life working on the most difficult concepts and end up working on wall street after their PhD.

In case you dont know, a significant bulk of quantitative finance theory was devised by chemist and physicist with PhDs.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 11:12pm On Dec 14, 2010
SEFAGO:

Tell that to theoretical physicists and chemists who spend most of their life working on the most difficult concepts and end up working on wall street after their PhD.

In case you dont know, a significant bulk of quantitative finance theory was devised by chemist and physicist with PhDs.

^^^

I'm well aware of that (physicists (where did you hear theoretical chemists were involved? I would be interested to find out) involvement in finance), but in case you don't know, that's NOT what they initially got into the field of physics for. That they can have so much success in finance isn't due to any passion for finance but due to their inability to find success in physics and their ability to apply their high intelligence to finance.

If you had more familiarity with the subject matter you would know that those who go into finance simply could not hack it in pure research or could not land a position and decided to cut their losses. Landing a position higher than a post-doc after a physics Ph.D is no cakewalk and some people can't be bothered to put in the years to move beyond the post-doc stage. Physics Ph.D's do end up job hunting, and that's where the very appealing post of financial consultant would snatch away a disillusioned ph.d into the world of finance.

There is no real connection between a passion for physics and any sort of interest in finance but the difference is that finance theory is still theoretical. They still get to think creatively and describe real world occurrences mathematically. They get a small fraction of the same pleasure but with none of the same significance or importance or "glory" but while also getting well-paid.

And to make more distinct the point I was making, many physics Ph.D's go on to work for companies that use applied physics for practical applications, especially applications of photonics or condensed matter, but this is quite different from just giving up all physics and going into medicine or finance just because these areas are more practically useful to the immediate community. I think that the example you mentioned of  quantitative finance, while not exactly fitting into my idea of surrendering to conformity for the reason that practical careers are better for immediate development, exactly fits into my idea of sacrificing one's dreams and aspirations for the practical reason of comfort and monetary satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by kawkab: 11:27pm On Dec 14, 2010
DR. PRINCELY IFINEDO

Princely Ifinedo, Ph.D
Dept. of Financial & Information Management
Shannon School of Business
Cape Breton University
P. O. Box 5300, Sydney
Nova Scotia, B1P 6L2, Canada

Dr. Princely Ifinedo is an Associate Professor at the Shannon School of Business, Cape Breton University (CBU), Canada. He is currently teaching Management Science and Information Systems courses, including Management Information Systems, Quantitative Methods, and Computer Aplications in Business. Dr. Ifinedo received his education in Africa, Europe, and North America. He has resided in four (4) different countries, and traveled widely in 34 others. This international exposure has had a lasting impression on his view of the world. In fact, the exposure has been the most transforming of all his experiences.

He enjoys teaching as much as he does research. He has presented at various international IS conferences, contributed chapters to 14 books/encyclopedias, and his research papers have appeared in 26 peer-reviewed journals. In brief, he has authored (and co-authored) more than 70 publications in various publishing outlets. He reviews for several international IS journals, including Journal of Electronic Commerce Research & Electronic Markets, and he serves his own university community (CBU) in various capacities.
Professional Affiliations:

AIS - Association for Information Systems
DSI - Decision Sciences Institute

Services to the IS Community:

* Editorial Board of Review: International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology (IJEDICT)
* Reviewer (Ad hoc): Electronic Markets - The International Journal (EM)
* Reviewer (Ad hoc): Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce (JOCEC)
* Reviewer: International Journal of Internet and Enterprise Management (IJIEM)
* Editorial Board of Review: Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management (IJIKM)
* Reviewer: Telematics and Informatics
* Reviewer: International Journal of Electronic Business (IJEB)
* Reviewer: Journal of Electronic Commerce Research (JECR)

Subscribed with the following listservs :

AIS World, DSI, Afrik-IT, IST-Africa, and WSEAS WG on Computer Science.

Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) Tools:
- PLS Graph 3.0
- EQS
- SmartPLS
- AMOS
- The R Project for Statistical Computing
- WarpPLS

Teaching Interests:
Management of Information Systems (IS)
Enterprise Systems in Organizations
E-Business Strategy
IT and Society (Social Informatics)
Operations Management
Research Methods (IS & Business)
Quantitative Research Methodology
- Structural Equation Modeling
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 11:32pm On Dec 14, 2010
Nchara:

If your life aspiration is money-making, keep off academics. Academics teach how to make money; not NECESSARILY make the money themselves. Few academics, if any, are among the wealthiest people in the world.

Tell me that in the country where these people live, academic research is not eventually deployed in industry. Or are they researching for just the heck of it? Where does the grant money come from? I'm not an academic, and would really like to know.

I guess that was Becomrich's point, which you seem to have missed undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Kilode1: 11:45pm On Dec 14, 2010
africanist:

@dayokanu Most of these guys are in the field of Science and Engineering not African culture and Dance

What is wrong with studying African culture? Afterall, science and technology are products of culture! For your info, Africa is politically independent today courtesy of the field of humanities and social sciences!! Science is good but cannot exist without culture. Today,  Americans and Europeans are all over Africa researching on African culture while, Africans don't even value themselves and continue on the path of destruction in form of failed western-type political system,and technological transfer. Culture is the basis of any meaningful technological innovation. What are the contributions of all these (diaspora) scientists to Nigerian development? It is obvious, their knowledge can only be productive within the western cultural system. The African cultural system is rather more complex.

I agree with most of the sentiments you expressed.

Although we really need to focus on Science and Technology so we can compete better, I will argue that many of our earlier giants, especially those whose work and exploits gave strength and confidence to the scholars of today were Writers, Philosophers and Cultural/Social Science geniuses.

Names like Soyinka, Achebe, Irele, Bodunrin and the Late Professor John Ogbu of Berkeley (who wrote the seminal study debunking the false assertion that Blacks have a lower IQ) may be dying out but new ones are sure springing up.

These social scientists and philosophers need to be appreciated too. They may be poor, but their works are the true foundations we need to build our Society on.

A society without an homegrown philosophy or strong social scientists in my opinion is just standing on weak foundations. .

Dr. Olúfémi Táíwò Professor of Philosophy Formerly Associate Professor at Loyola University, Chicago, and Postdoctoral Fellow at the Carter G. Woodson Institute for Afro-American and African Studies at the University of Virginia, Currently Professor of Philosophy at Seattle University in. He is an editor of the Journal on African Philosophy. He is advisor for the National Society of Black Engineers.

NKIRU NZEGWU

Ph.D., University of Ottawa, Philosophy (Aesthetics).
1984 M.A., University of Ife, Nigeria, Philosophy (Aesthetics).
1976 B.A., University of Ife, Nigeria, Honors in Fine Arts.

Current Status: Professor, tenured, Department of Africana Studies and Professor of Philosophy, Interpretation and Culture,

Founder of africaresource.com 1999-
A multi-purpose, content-based, educational web site serving over 10 million users from over 90countries (in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, South and Central America, Middle East, the Caribbean, & Africa) with 110,000+ users a week.

Recognized by PBS as the Best of the Web

SEGUN GBADEGESIN Chair Philosophy at Howard University
Professor of Philosophy
Research interests: Social and Political Philosophy, Ethics, African Philosophy, Philosophy of Culture, Bioethics.

and of course

Jacob Olupona Harvard Professor of African Religious Traditions, with a joint appointment as Professor of African and African American Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences

BA, University of Nigeria
MA, PhD, Boston University

Plus Toyin Falola of UT Austin and many others; some already mentioned here.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 11:48pm On Dec 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Tell me that in the country where these people live, academic research is not eventually deployed in industry. Or are they researching for just the heck of it? Where does the grant money come from? I'm not an academic, and would really like to know.

I guess that was Becomrich's point, which you seem to have missed undecided

Why not you go ahead and tell me one university professor that is among the wealthiest people on earth.
Of course, education should be put into practice such as in industries. But many research findings from universities are normally passed on to entrepreneurs/industrialists. These days though, some academics take loans to establish spin offs so they can manage the practical aspects of their own findings. Most grant monies come from govt agencies and a few rich charities.

Take a look at this website on the topic of money-making and pursuit of a PhD.

A way to make more money
While we haven't heard any statistics for the past couple of years, graduate students used to estimate the ``payoff'' using the starting salaries of Ph.D. and M.S. positions, the average time required to obtain a Ph.D., the value of stock options, and current return on investments. For a period of at least five years that we know, the payoff was clearly negative. Suffice it to say that one must choose research because one loves it; a Ph.D. is not the optimum road to wealth.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/essay.phd.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 11:54pm On Dec 14, 2010
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by ladej(m): 12:21am On Dec 15, 2010
i fully believe that writing text books in indigenous languages would have benefitted s immensely, i.e. chemistry, biology, math in all the major languages. would have definitely improved the literacy rate. for sure. back to the post well done to all the talented people in academia

Nchara:

Why not you go ahead and tell me one university professor that is among the wealthiest people on earth.
Of course, education should be put into practice such as in industries. But many research findings from universities are normally passed on to entrepreneuers/industrialists. These day though, some academics take loans to establish spin offs so they can manage the practical aspects of their own findings. Most grant monies come from govt agencies and a few rich charities.

Take a look at this website on the topic of money-making and pursuit of a PhD.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/essay.phd.html
a lifetime in academia wont guarantee you wealth, but in a country that appreciates it, you will live very comfortably, not to talk of FULFILLED. dont forget that these academics also write books and live off royalties, if successful. money isnt the primary motive but of cos a by product of reaching the top.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 12:39am On Dec 15, 2010
ladej:

a lifetime in academia wont guarantee you wealth, but in a country that appreciates it, you will live very comfortably, not to talk of FULFILLED. dont forget that these academics also write books and live off royalties, if successful. money isnt the primary motive but of cos a by product of reaching the top.

Aren't we saying the same thing here?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by ladej(m): 12:41am On Dec 15, 2010
yup
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by lonewolf: 1:34am On Dec 15, 2010
There are literally thousands of Nigerians in hundreds of universities around the world doing wonderful things, but it's important that people do not get carried away with degrees. After all, what's the point of a three degrees if your earning power does not increase exponentially?

Really though, academic work is 10% intellect and 90% persistence.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by oyinda3(f): 3:58am On Dec 15, 2010
nice thread. these are 99.9% men. Are there female professors?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 4:17am On Dec 15, 2010
@ Oyinda baby!
Nah

Females are sub-human

In the words of Larry summers : The second thing that I think one has to recognize is present is what I would call the combination of, and here, I'm focusing on something that would seek to answer the question of why is the pattern different in science and engineering, and why is the representation even lower and more problematic in science and engineering than it is in other fields. And here, you can get a fair distance, it seems to me, looking at a relatively simple hypothesis. It does appear that on many, many different human attributes-height, weight, propensity for criminality, overall IQ, mathematical ability, scientific ability-there is relatively clear evidence that whatever the difference in means-which can be debated-there is a difference in the standard deviation, and variability of a male and a female population. And that is true with respect to attributes that are and are not plausibly, culturally determined. If one supposes, as I think is reasonable, that if one is talking about physicists at a top twenty-five research university, one is not talking about people who are two standard deviations above the mean. And perhaps it's not even talking about somebody who is three standard deviations above the mean. But it's talking about people who are three and a half, four standard deviations above the mean in the one in 5,000, one in 10,000 class. Even small differences in the standard deviation will translate into very large differences in the available pool substantially out. I did a very crude calculation, which I'm sure was wrong and certainly was unsubtle, twenty different ways. I looked at the Xie and Shauman paper-looked at the book, rather-looked at the evidence on the sex ratios in the top 5% of twelfth graders. If you look at those-they're all over the map, depends on which test, whether it's math, or science, and so forth-but 50% women, one woman for every two men, would be a high-end estimate from their estimates. From that, you can back out a difference in the implied standard deviations that works out to be about 20%. And from that, you can work out the difference out several standard deviations. If you do that calculation-and I have no reason to think that it couldn't be refined in a hundred ways-you get five to one, at the high end. Now, it's pointed out by one of the papers at this conference that these tests are not a very good measure and are not highly predictive with respect to people's ability to do that. And that's absolutely right. But I don't think that resolves the issue at all. Because if my reading of the data is right-it's something people can argue about-that there are some systematic differences in variability in different populations, then whatever the set of attributes are that are precisely defined to correlate with being an aeronautical engineer at MIT or being a chemist at Berkeley, those are probably different in their standard deviations as well. So my sense is that the unfortunate truth-I would far prefer to believe something else, because it would be easier to address what is surely a serious social problem if something else were true-is that the combination of the high-powered job hypothesis and the differing variances probably explains a fair amount of this problem.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by oyinda3(f): 4:50am On Dec 15, 2010
Bisola O. Ojikutu , M.D., M.P.H.

Bisola Ojikutu, M.D., M.P.H., is the director of the Office of International Programs of the Division of AIDS at Harvard Medical School and an infectious disease specialist at Massachusetts General Hospital. She worked with the Clinton Foundation to draft a national plan for the distribution of antiretroviral therapy in Pretoria, SA.
http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/disease/ojikutu.html

Nwando Achebe

Professor of History, Michigan State University, received her Ph.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2000. She served as a Ford Foundation and Fulbright-Hays Scholar-in-Residence at The Institute of African Studies and History Department of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1996 and 1998. Her research interests involve the use of oral history in the study of women, gender, sexuality, and power in Nigeria. Her first book, Farmers, Traders, Warriors, and Kings: Female Power and Authority in Northern Igboland, 1900-1960 was published by Heinemann in 2005. Dr. Achebe’s second book, The Female King of Colonial Nigeria: Ahebi Ugbabe (Indiana University Press, 2011) is a full length critical biography on the only female warrant chief and king in all of colonial Nigeria, and arguably British Africa. The writing was funded by a generous grant from the Wenner-Gren Foundation.

http://history.msu.edu/people/faculty/nwando-achebe-2/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by SEFAGO(m): 6:27am On Dec 15, 2010
I'm well aware of that (physicists (where did you hear theoretical chemists were involved? I would be interested to find out) involvement in finance), but in case you don't know, that's NOT what they initially got into the field of physics for. That they can have so much success in finance isn't due to any passion for finance but due to their inability to find success in physics and their ability to apply their high intelligence to finance.

Theoretical chemists go into finance especially hedge funds. Remember, theoretical chemists focus on statistical mechanics and thermodynamics  and quantum theory just like theoretical physicists. They study the same concepts, they just apply it to different systems. Most of the skills sought after in quanitative finance (building of stochastic probability models and computational finance) are possessed by chemists, engineers and a lot of engineers (most engineers in academia are jack of all trades because engineering is a dying field, and most research grants are now on biotech or "bio-based projects.

Infact a lot of the theories in operational research was by a theoretical chemist, I cannot remember his name. Remember quantitative finance involves a lot of computational work- who is more skilled in computational and building complex algorithms to model behavior more than theoretical chemists?

I would also point out that lot of chemists go into finance though mostly at boutique investment banks. Its just not as highly publicized as physicists because they are far and few.

http://chemjobber..com/2009/08/25-of-harvard-phd-chemists-go-to-wall.html

Its just different for Physics because there are not that many physics  industry jobs so if you dont get tenure track position in the US then your next bet is finance.

If you had more familiarity with the subject matter you would know that those who go into finance simply could not hack it in pure research or could not land a position and decided to cut their losses. Landing a position higher than a post-doc after a physics Ph.D is no cakewalk and some people can't be bothered to put in the years to move beyond the post-doc stage. Physics Ph.D's do end up job hunting, and that's where the very appealing post of financial consultant would snatch away a disillusioned ph.d into the world of finance.

Depends. Some physicists and mathematicians are drawn to alternative fields like finance for the thrill and gamble not because they cannot find jobs. Some notable physicists started off in finance then moved back into academia (quite difficult since you would not have the papers to get a look at your CV). They did so because the y liked finance.

For the most part you are correct. But everyone loves money hehe. Look at these guys trying to run away from physics even before the beginning
of their academic careers:
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/physics-phd-wondering-where-to-go-next
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3062
http://www.markjoshi.com/books/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=329

See how these physicist are looking for finance jobs without even looking for jobs in academia first. Money ttalks b*u*l*l*s*hit works

Also the US academic market sucks. UK/Europe sucks even more. No one gets jobs in academia straight out of graduate school except you are a God in your field. Hehe all of u guys doing PhD should be looking at Naija. Nevertheless, Physics unlike chemistry or biology has very few applications in industry. You mentioned Photonics and Condensed matter research but thats just two of several areas in physics. Lots of physicist specialize in other areas.

I think that the example you mentioned of  quantitative finance, while not exactly fitting into my idea of surrendering to conformity for the reason that practical careers are better for immediate development, exactly fits into my idea of sacrificing one's dreams and aspirations for the practical reason of comfort and monetary satisfaction.

Actually it does. I dont know about what happens at the graduate level but if you go to say any top undergraduate in the US, all you are going to hear about is Investment banking. Even if you have never heard the word before, you will learn all the vocabulary within a week. Its a sort of conformity, people in those schools are conforming to ideas that they should move into finance or consulting as opposed to academia. Most of the physicists at the undergraduate level end up working in finance instead of pursuing Physics PhDs, and these are intellectually curious people I bet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Musiwa13: 6:54am On Dec 15, 2010
why dont you keep on talking about this people. I know alot of prof over here and they dont have money.

the only way you can have money is business.

J zay  and wife are rich, they dont have PHD, femi otedola is rich, he does not have phd.

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsQED(m): 6:59am On Dec 15, 2010

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 6:59am On Dec 15, 2010
@ Musiwa = Becomrich

Truth be told, Forbes is beyond you!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:01am On Dec 15, 2010
oyinda.:

nice thread. these are 99.9% men. Are there female professors?

Yeah,

Katherine Adebola okikiolu (b. in 1965), is half Nigerian and half British. She is a brilliant mathematician and is currently an associate professor of Mathematics at the University of California. She becomes the first Black to win Mathematics' most prestigious young person's award, the "Sloan research Fellowship".

Katherine Adebola Okikiolu was born in England in 1965. The schools she went to include Cambridge University and University of California at Los Angeles. At Cambridge University, she received her BA in Mathematics, and went to graduate school at University of California at Los Angeles where she earned her Ph.D. At UCLA, she worked with two others to solve "solve a problem concerning asymptotics of determinants of Toeplitz operators on the sphere and a conjecture of Peter Jones, characterizing subsets of rectifiable curves in Euclidean n-space and she has been exhibiting first rate mathematical abilties."

Two years later, she was a teacher and an assistant professor at Princeton University for another two years. Right after, she was a visiting assistant professor at MIT. In 1997, she became a resident of the United States. In June of the same year, Okikiolu became the first Black to get the Sloan Research Fellowship, the most prestigious award for young math researchers in the US. She's an associate professor of mathematics at University of California at San Diego.

Her family is also very math oriented. [b]Her mother is a high school mathematics teacher and her dad George Okikiolu who is from Nigeria, is a mathematician.and inventor He has written more mathematics papers than any African mathematician. [/b]Katherine Okikiolu is married to mathematician Hans Lindblad.

Okikiolu's achievements and honors include earning a Ph.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles and doing postdoctoral work at Princeton's Institute of Advanced Study and MIT. [b]In 1997, she was awarded the prestigious Sloan Research Fellowship and was a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (500.000 dollars). In 2001, she became the first black woman to publish an article in the Annals of Mathematics, a journal of research papers in pure mathematics founded in 1884. [/b]As a research mathematician, Okikiolu has achieved success and contributed to the development of mathematical ideas in the twenty-first century.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 7:02am On Dec 15, 2010
PhysicsQED:

http://www.uchospitals.edu/physicians/olufunmilayo-olopade.html

I dont see the big deal in what she does

She is an internist working on the prevalence of BRCA 1 and II gene in indigenous Africans, and its applicability in the AA population

She is doing a vital job, but not something special.

Saw her on Tavis Smiley two years ago!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 7:03am On Dec 15, 2010
Okkikiolu is not a Nigerian

BTW, she is ding donging a white fella

I would not call her Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Okorocha Mobbed By Crowd During Inspection In Imo State.. Photos / Tinubu 2023: North Is Not Lagos - Arewa Youths Tell Ganduje / Buhari Meets Yahaya Bello In Aso Rock, Hours To APC Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.