Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam (298539 Views)

I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... / Breathtaking Bridge In Vietnam Looks Like Something From Lord Of The Rings(Pics) / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (115) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Immunity04: 9:54pm On Oct 25, 2020
WhyNa:

Heyyyy

I'm truly sorry for the silence. Twas due to the following reasons....

1. Work load. I'd honestly say this month is the first month I really workee and made good mula as in 7 figures. Also means less rest but man pikin don dey rest since so we good

2. I've been ill. Guess it's the change in weather but after taking drugs, I'm better now. This is the second time I'm under the weather and having to take medication. I noticed their drugs work faster than what we have back home and they don't pack plenty plenty drugs. Just the necessary dosage required to make you well again

The first time, I had malaria like symptoms, went to the pharmacy and explained the symptoms, was given just one dosage of drugs. Sh** knocked me out and had me sleeping for almost 24 hours and I felt better

3 days ago, I was down with flu, cough, sore throat and fever. I'm better now

3. There really is nothing to update as it's just same old. Work, borders still closed etc. But I understand the need to drop in every once in a while to encourage you guys. If I don't, please drop your questions and I'll answer in the meantime. My schedule is thankfully crazy now

In other news, some people have started entering the country. These people are those their company presented and processed all documents required for entry to the government. They also paid $100 a day for 14 days quarantine when they get in. Quarantine used to be free but no more. So only these experts are the ones able to bring in people. They are very big companies and some international schools

I'm still envisaging that borders will remain closed until after TET holiday in February as they wouldn't want to risk it. Hoping for April/June thingy will change

Y'all stay safe
Ma please there is something I need to be clarified on,
This teaching of a thing, how do you cope especially when your students don't really understand English neither do you understand Vietnam language?
What is the Language of instructions?

For example, when I was in French class sometime ago, the teacher translates English to french because she's conversant with the two languages, but you don't know Vietnam language, so how do you cope?

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:29am On Oct 26, 2020
Joohan:

Nice hearing from you again. Sorry about the sickness, just don't expose yourself to the cold and if you can stop riding bike for sometime.

The VT government are not going to open the border anytime soon...maybe after there's a covid vaccine sha. The closed border means less teachers, more jobs. Milk the opportunity ma'am.

Stay safe and I'm rooting for you.

Very true.

Thanks for the wishes.

As for the bike, I've got to go to work. So I wear lots of jackets...

Thanks again
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:30am On Oct 26, 2020
Immunity04:
Ma please there is something I need to be clarified on,
This teaching of a thing, how do you cope especially when your students don't really understand English neither do you understand Vietnam language?
What is the Language of instructions?

For example, when I was in French class sometime ago, the teacher translates English to french because she's conversant with the two languages, but you don't know Vietnam language, so how do you cope?

Great question. I'm about going to school. I'll reply later with pictures and explain in details

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 26, 2020
WhyNa:

Heyyyy

1. Work load. I'd honestly say this month is the first month I really workee and made good mula as in 7 figures. Also means less rest but man pikin don dey rest since so we good

2. I've been ill. Guess it's the change in weather but after taking drugs, I'm better now. This is the second time I'm under the weather and having to take medication. I noticed their drugs work faster than what we have back home and they don't pack plenty plenty drugs. Just the necessary dosage required to make you well again

The first time, I had malaria like symptoms, went to the pharmacy and explained the symptoms, was given just one dosage of drugs. Sh** knocked me out and had me sleeping for almost 24 hours and I felt better

3. There really is nothing to update as it's just same old. Work, borders still closed etc. But I understand the need to drop in every once in a while to encourage you guys. If I don't, please drop your questions and I'll answer in the meantime. My schedule is thankfully crazy now

In other news, some people have started entering the country. These people are those their company presented and processed all documents required for entry to the government. They also paid $100 a day for 14 days quarantine when they get in. Quarantine used to be free but no more. So only these experts are the ones able to bring in people. They are very big companies and some international schools

I'm still envisaging that borders will remain closed until after TET holiday in February as they wouldn't want to risk it. Hoping for April/June thingy will change

Y'all stay safe

So glad to hear you’re feeling better now. Thank God for health.

7 figures? I refuse to be shocked or cry. Damn! That much doe in a month! Well done, Ma’am.

Oh, total cost for quarantine then becomes $1,400. That’s a whole lot of money. Best we stay put, stand down and stand by. Probably till June as you’ve envisaged. I really pray a vaccine comes through soon.

Btw, are you following the News in Nigeria? grin
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 9:14am On Oct 26, 2020
Hello whyna,

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on making some good cash this month. I pray this tempo improves even more for you.

I'd like you to throw more light on the cost of the following in Vietnam:
1) Average annual cost of health care
2) Average annual cost of quality primary education
3) Average annual cost of quality secondary education

This may help those who will like to raise a family in Vietnam to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 26, 2020
WhyNa:

Heyyyy

Y'all stay safe

are fellow 9ja aware of the situation in Nigeria? Or they are already in abroad so they don't care.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Immunity04: 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2020
WhyNa:

Great question. I'm about going to school. I'll reply later with pictures and explain in details
I'm patiently waiting Ma
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Smoke47: 2:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Good job whyna. Started following your thread from day1, lost track, and here I am again smiley

Stay safe!

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by lanrywatt(m): 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2020
@whyna.. you are doing great.
those Vietnam accredited institution offering TEFL plus Job placement.. how reliable do you think they are?

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Babycherry(f): 6:08pm On Oct 26, 2020
Wow.... Just wow
Saw this thread yesterday by 12 and didn't sleep till 5, just finished reading every word now cry

@whyna. Thank you for all you've done so far. Though I'm a big canada fan, age is not on my side and i just started uni, but if I come across a full scholarship to study in Vietnam, I'd take it.

You inspire me, to keep pushing. Thank you... cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by luminouz(m): 6:32pm On Oct 26, 2020
Babycherry:
Wow.... Just wow
Saw this thread yesterday by 12 and didn't sleep till 5, just finished reading every word now cry

@whyna. Thank you for all you've done so far. Though I'm a big canada fan, age is not on my side and i just started uni, but if I come across a full scholarship to study in Vietnam, I'd take it.

You inspire me, to keep pushing. Thank you... cool

I just sauntered into the thread like you did yday and read my eye out. OP is doing really good.

So what are you doing concerning the scholarship stuff? Any research?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Babycherry(f): 8:13pm On Oct 26, 2020
luminouz:

I just sauntered into the thread like you did yday and read my eye out. OP is doing really good.

So what are you doing concerning the scholarship stuff? Any research?

The thread is a real eye opener away from all the Germany, USA, UK, Canada threads....
I checked some of the sites dropped here, sadly, no scholarships yet..... Get in touch if you find any
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by VirusOO7(m): 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2020
Joohan:

Nice hearing from you again. Sorry about the sickness, just don't expose yourself to the cold and if you can stop riding bike for sometime.

The VT government are not going to open the border anytime soon...maybe after there's a covid vaccine sha. The closed border means less teachers, more jobs. Milk the opportunity ma'am.

Stay safe and I'm rooting for you.

True, but there are many other factors to consider. Twill be a year since the borders were closed! Only few economies can sustain that...
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by luminouz(m): 9:41pm On Oct 26, 2020
Babycherry:

The thread is a real eye opener away from all the Germany, USA, UK, Canada threads....
I checked some of the sites dropped here, sadly, no scholarships yet..... Get in touch if you find any

Sure...
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:42am On Oct 27, 2020
WhyNa:

To really answer this question, first, you need to understand the school's/ center, books they use and method.

I'll start with the public schools.

The public schools all have one book they use. It's called Tieng Anh. The students can read all and everything in it. Mostly because they've crammed it and they do the whole read the passage every morning thing.

Now this repetition in a way helps them for example, you've read about Mai and Phong talking about what they can do in Lesson 1. Lesson 2 goes on to ask what you can do, Lesson 3 is a repetition of both.

So it's really easy to teach them. Besides, in a week, a class in public school will have one or two lessons with the foreign teacher. Before you teach that lesson, their Vietnamese teacher who also speaks English would have taught them that same lesson. She's explain and teach in both English and Vietnamese.

You just go to cement the ground and correct pronunciation and further plaster what they've been taught.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:45am On Oct 27, 2020
Example of the public school book. This is grade 4

Edit:. Don't know why I can't upload from my phone again. I'll have to transfer to my laptop and upload when I get home.

I'll just do the write-ups now

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:56am On Oct 27, 2020
The Centers like I've said before is like extra lesson and majority if not all good students attend or attended an English Center.

Here's why, the books are different and more advanced, more time so more focus on students, more of speaking and listening and grammar taught.

Each center has it's own book. Some are
Oxford Solutions usually for grade 6 upwards
Oxford Phonics for lesser grades
Family and friends, this one is very popular
Our discovery island
Grapeseed books series, this one no be beans. even the methodology is different.
Four corners for adult learners
Smartkids
Smart English
Et Al

These are some of the books I've taught with. Teaching at the centre, it kind of requires a little more work and passion but kids there are able to understand basic instructions. Not all but they try compared to the public school.

So as long as you teach what's in the book, they are fine. You don't need to speak too much English. Just teach what's in the book and they'll understand.

Sometimes, like when you want to give an instruction or play a game, they will look lost. If you have a TA, she will help translate. Otherwise, na sign language. Lol. Or demonstration. But it's not a problem trust me. You also have to learn to speak really really really slow.

I learnt that one by force

9 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 3:02am On Oct 27, 2020
Other books.....

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 3:06am On Oct 27, 2020
kevwemanuel:
Hello whyna,

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on making some good cash this month. I pray this tempo improves even more for you.

I'd like you to throw more light on the cost of the following in Vietnam:
1) Average annual cost of health care
2) Average annual cost of quality primary education
3) Average annual cost of quality secondary education

This may help those who will like to raise a family in Vietnam to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

1,2,3 no idea but. I hear it's pretty expensive though because as a foreigner, you'd definitely register your kid at the international school because of the language of instruction. Those schools pay very big money

Health care from what I've read is not expensive. People do surgeries and all sorts for really low cost. You can also do the insurance thingy and some jobs come with health insurance
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 3:08am On Oct 27, 2020
lanrywatt:
@whyna.. you are doing great.
those Vietnam accredited institution offering TEFL plus Job placement.. how reliable do you think they are?

The iss is, they are expensive and don't help Nigerians with visa so it's pointless
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2020
VirusOO7:

True, but there are many other factors to consider. Twill be a year since the borders were closed! Only few economies can sustain that...

I'm sure tourism is just one of their major exports, they should have something else stabilising the economy. They make and export clothes also
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Immunity04: 6:17am On Oct 27, 2020
WhyNa:
The Centers like I've said before is like extra lesson and majority if not all good students attend or attended an English Center.

Here's why, the books are different and more advanced, more time so more focus on students, more of speaking and listening and grammar taught.

Each center has it's own book. Some are
Oxford Solutions usually for grade 6 upwards
Oxford Phonics for lesser grades
Family and friends, this one is very popular
Our discovery island
Grapeseed books series, this one no be beans. even the methodology is different.
Four corners for adult learners
Smartkids
Smart English
Et Al

These are some of the books I've taught with. Teaching at the centre, it kind of requires a little more work and passion but kids there are able to understand basic instructions. Not all but they try compared to the public school.

So as long as you teach what's in the book, they are fine. You don't need to speak too much English. Just teach what's in the book and they'll understand.

Sometimes, like when you want to give an instruction or play a game, they will look lost. If you have a TA, she will help translate. Otherwise, na sign language. Lol. Or demonstration. But it's not a problem trust me. You also have to learn to speak really really really slow.

I learnt that one by force
Thanks Ma, I'm Cleared to an extent

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 8:53am On Oct 27, 2020
WhyNa:

The iss is, they are expe and don't help Nigerians with visa so it's pointless

From my findings, after the border has been opened, the teaching market competition is going to be stiff! Native speakers are making teaching the English like their birth rights and Non native speakers are not ready to accept that. I envisage that the VT government will want to make teaching requirements more stringent. Let's brace up and expect the unexpected.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 9:27am On Oct 27, 2020
Joohan:

From my findings, after the border has been opened, the teaching market competition is going to be stiff! Native speakers are making teaching the English like their birth rights and Non native speakers are not ready to accept that. I envisage that the VT government will want to make teaching requirements more stringent. Let's brace up and expect the unexpected.

This battle no start today. Some Centers are beginning to realise that Native doesn't mean better.

Even though the government is putting in some measures, it will most likely favour majority of us cos the natives gaun sef many of them don't have a degree. Just white skin.

Don't let that one discourage you

8 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Ourown(m): 9:40am On Oct 27, 2020
WhyNa:

This battle no start today. Some Centers are beginning to realise that Native doesn't mean better.

Even though the government is putting in some measures, it will most likely favour majority of us cos the natives gaun sef many of them don't have a degree. Just white skin.

Don't let that one discourage you

Thank you for the update.

Already envisioning how I'd work like mad for first few months when I reach there. Make money and send back home to my 4 wives and 24 children grin
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 10:24am On Oct 27, 2020
Ourown:

Thank you for the update.

Already envisioning how I'd work like mad for first few months when I reach there. Make money and send back home to my 4 wives and 24 children grin

Lmao. Sha calm down.

It's good to dream big and hope but allow room for "just incase"

I had same hopes but Covid-19 messed me up. Twice. But thank God in all.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2020
nn

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:12pm On Oct 27, 2020
mm

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 2:17pm On Oct 27, 2020
WhyNa:

1,2,3 no idea but. I hear it's pretty expensive though because as a foreigner, you'd definitely register your kid at the international school because of the language of instruction. Those schools pay very big money

Health care from what I've read AIS not expensive. People do surgeries and all sorts for really low cost. You can also do the insurance thingy and some jobs come with health insurance
Thanks madam whyna.

Maybe one will have to save aggressively before kids get to school attending age, and then relocate to a country with very affordable quality primary and secondary education cost when kids get to this age.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:19pm On Oct 27, 2020
kk

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (115) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.