Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? (81677 Views)

Seven Must Watch Nollywood Movies 2020 / Watch Nollywood Movie "ALTER EGO" Starring Omotola Showing Now @ Enolly.com / Watch Unlimited Nollywood Movies Without Using Your Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by blasted12: 2:53pm On Feb 18, 2020
All of you are damn liars grin
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by ZooOga: 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2020
Abundant self-hate permeates this mindset/thread sha. sad

IMDb owned by Amazon/Jeff Bezos critiques almost all Hollywood films and there's a Goofs section for sharp viewers to post inaccuracies of multi-million dollar productions that sometimes go on to make billions around the globe.

https://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home © 1990-2020 by IMDb.com, Inc.

Bottom line, support your own so that the Nollywood industry can continue to grow, improve, and excel like other nations do.

The template, Parasite which is the best film of the year is a South Korean production. 9ja will be at the top one day!

Parasite [Official Trailer]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOGD_7hNIY

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by GamingMode: 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2020
Yoruba movies. A bar is a club to them. Office premises always empty.no staffs. They are always sitting and acting and shouting Contracts are awarded over the phone. Igbo movies its most boring. Its always abt land, king and queen daft village movies.
sunnyeinstein:

The Yoruba movies songs are loud and/or nauseating...
Obiliwisky yeeeeeee, obiliwisky eee aaaaaaa

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Dollabiz: 2:57pm On Feb 18, 2020
I have no reason
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by tartar9(m): 2:58pm On Feb 18, 2020
Onyekachi419:
Their's this Nigerian movie that I watched, the starting was cool till the ghost said he is tied of fetching firewood and he was breathing heavily. angry

"The yoruba" movies you watch in cinema does it contain only yoruba actors
Na by Yoruba or Igbo actors undecided
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by safarigirl(f): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2020
BluntBoy:

Those are exaggerations, not flaws. Exaggeration is a stylistic device in theatre.

This is not to say that Hollywood is perfect.

But, Nollywood needs to work harder. There is no structure, the directors are damn lazy, and the actors are amateur at best.

Some of the mistakes that make the cuts in Nollywood are ridiculous. It is like no one cares. They are just after the money.

How can you shoot a movie and the boom mic keeps intruding on the scene, and the director cannot retake the shot or even find a way to erase the mic?

Then there are the ridiculous subtitles. How much time would it take to provide minimally correct subtitles? Watch some the movies, especially, the Yoruba movies, and you would be tempted to think that the subtitles were made by roadside mechanics.

Try and pick up a 1970s Hollywood movie like Coma, for instance. Now, pick a 2017 Nollywood movie and compare.

It is just disgraceful.

BluntBoy:

Those are exaggerations, not flaws. Exaggeration is a stylistic device in theatre.

This is not to say that Hollywood is perfect.

But, Nollywood needs to work harder. There is no structure, the directors are damn lazy, and the actors are amateur at best.

Some of the mistakes that make the cuts in Nollywood are ridiculous. It is like no one cares. They are just after the money.

How can you shoot a movie and the boom mic keeps intruding on the scene, and the director cannot retake the shot or even find a way to erase the mic?

Then there are the ridiculous subtitles. How much time would it take to provide minimally correct subtitles? Watch some the movies, especially, the Yoruba movies, and you would be tempted to think that the subtitles were made by roadside mechanics.

Try and pick up a 1970s Hollywood movie like Coma, for instance. Now, pick a 2017 Nollywood movie and compare.

It is just disgraceful.

what else do you think they should be after?

Bear in mind, the budget is always small, compared to even the Hollywood movie from the 70's budget, and even at that, you have to select the Hollywood movies.

Tyler Perry's movies are mostly questionable, but he has a lot of fans and makes his money fine and good. His is even worse, because he stereotypes characters and the props are trash, that is Hollywood too....but that is low budget Hollywood.

Low budget Hollywood money, is still more than the average high budget Nollywood money. You cannot give what you don't have.

That being said, many Nollywood movies are improving with the props, I recently watched God Calling and the Special Effects were decent. Have you watched it?

I think my issue with New Nollywood is their lack of storyline, poor script writing and the actors need to imitate Hollywood at times. Old movies like Igodo, Festival of Fire and even A Cry for Help, may not have had the fancy effects, but they had spirit. They were interesting and the script writing was brilliant (I have had to recently watch the older movies to gave a better appreciation of these movies).

So many Nigerians have this idea of Nollywood that is stuck in a period and they easily pick out only the negatives, without appreciating the positives. It is an innate thing for Africans to pick out the negatives in their works, and hammer on it, rather than focus on the positives, but give them American movies and they will swallow them hook, line and mugu, even when Americans make politically incorrect statements.

Hollywood don't even know the difference between a Nigerian, Kenyan and South African accent. They don't know which country is what in Africa, they can't align names to the correct ethnicities or even countries at times, but Africans easily overlook such incorrect representations. If na Nollywood now, everyone will notice Jim Iyke's wrong accent.

If the older script writers and actors merged with the new directors, producers, some actors and special effects guys, we could have something great

2 Likes

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by donsheddy1(m): 3:06pm On Feb 18, 2020
Clicked:
Everyone bashing Naija movies but before we started watching oyinbo film na wetin everybody dey watch oo.
Na lie.

I started watching Indian movies when we had VHS. Those lengthy but interesting ones that goes on for hours.

Those Indian movies that I watched then are still better than the ones Nollywood is producing today.

Secondly, those old Kung Fu movies did some amazing tricks to me.

Nigerian movies then were only interesting if it was to portray a village setting. Like Igodo etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by thundafire: 3:07pm On Feb 18, 2020
chiiraq802:
I stopped watching Nigeria movies, when armed robbers shot a man on his forehead, as he was falling down, the man exclaimed ...."Ohhh I'm dead"....
Who dii fxxk!! does dat grin

There was this popular movie a "ghost had to knock at a door before entering that particular room".....hehehe
I like wen u said who dey Bleep those dat I think Nigeria version of John wick
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 18, 2020
They don't potray the real thing happening in our country in their movies, most is fiction,fiction,fiction.no inspiration,no vision.They are just trying to copy what does not fit into us.If they want to have a good movie industry,they must develop it in our own way in respect to the situation in our country(nigeria) so that the message they are trying to pass across will come out real.Period.
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by condralbedez: 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2020
optimus106:
Olodo

I stopped reading your post when I noticed number 6 and 8 were the same thing.

Next plz

I fink you ran out of ideas.
Number 7 and 13 too....such a confused fellow!

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by BluntBoy(m): 3:10pm On Feb 18, 2020
nextstep:

It really pains me when people abuse Nollywood. This is an industry that has grown from grassroots, and is now blossoming and showcasing Nigeria to the world.

It was because the Japanese loved their mediocrity, as did the Indians, Taiwanese, and (earlier on) the Americans, that they now make content beloved around the world. The early movies from all these places are now cringe-worthy, but even so, Oyinbo will still speak lovingly of their own faults, calling such terrible movies "cult status", "seminal" and "vintage".

If you don't watch your own, it will never grow and develop. The same Nollywood people are abusing is the source of some excellent films lately; it has trained lots of the talent we're now seeing on Netflix and grossing millions in the cinemas.

The current success would not have been possible without "sweating ghosts" and "Madam P tasting the poisoned food".

In American movies, 1000 bullets shot, but not one hits the hero. Car explosions galore, but somebody ends up with just a single cut on their forehead. Insane, physics-defying jumps, but no broken bones. Show me an American poster and I can summarize the plot for you, whether it's one of romantic comedy, cop and robbers, scary, or lone wolf against bad industrialist.

Are you asking people to support mediocrity?

And who told you Japanese and Americans supported their mediocrity? They criticized their film makers and got them to work harder. Even today, with the immense use of technology in Hollywood, there are still many websites that enjoy examining and listing out bloopers in major Hollywood movies. When you support mediocrity, it means you like it.

The problem with Nollywood is a lack of structure, and absolute laziness of directors and actors.

Please, stop misinforming people. Mediocrity is bad and should never be supported. Hollywood got to the height it is today not because Americans supported mediocrity, but because Americans criticized and still criticize silly bloopers.

As for the predictability of Hollywood movies, you need to understand genres.

There are action films, there are fantasies, there are romance flicks, there are adventures, there are epic movies, there are horror movies, there are historical movies. The most predictable genre is action movies. You have the good guy and the bad guys. You already know that the good guy would finish off the bad guys at the end of the flick.

Then, there are genres such as epic movies which may have elements of the action movies, but which are based on true stories. We have movies like Gladiators which is based on the gladiatorial eras when the Roman Empire was at the peak of her powers.

4 Likes

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by JuanCarlosMeter: 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2020
[s]
blasted12:
All of you are damn liars grin
[/s]
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by safarigirl(f): 3:17pm On Feb 18, 2020
Edoziesmart:

Tchidi mokeme on this table. The man can perform all the whole role in a movie ranging from producer, script writer, actor, director etc in one particular movie.
Tchidi Chikere, not Mokeme

There is Chidi Mokeme, the actor, not to be confused with the director/actor/producer/writer Tchidi Chikere

Tyler Perry does the same thing, only him will write, produce, direct and act

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Bayoibee: 3:18pm On Feb 18, 2020
I stopped watching Nigerian films when I saw this couple do a throwback love scenes in the 90’s and she stole her fathers money to help him, she counted 1k notes each to give him lol

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by thundafire: 3:18pm On Feb 18, 2020
aimuan:
keep your mouth shut you idiot.. The war firms you have been watching are they real?don't they fake the act?you guys only know how to criticize,tell me any content you have ever created..for you r info nollywood movies are watched all over the world.your view is inconsequential.
so u can honestly compare Hollywood war movie to Nigeria own Kai u are gone
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by samiboy774(m): 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2020
i stopped watching the day i saw a movie showing past event like "30 Year ago" and am seeing Sanwooolu Poster for electoions
anoda one when Ghost come wear Chelsea Jersey....na so i give up on them

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by elmaz(m): 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2020
They call it fiction... �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by TemmyT002(m): 3:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
Go and sit down
Their movies make sense and teach lessons than the corrupt ones you watch of abroad.
Mtchewww
As long as you understand the message of the movies, no other bla bla bla is necessary. No one is perfect. Even the Hollywood you watch so much has many blunders in their movies.
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by BluntBoy(m): 3:25pm On Feb 18, 2020
safarigirl:
what else do you think they should be after?

Bear in mind, the budget is always small, compared to even the Hollywood movie from the 70's budget, and even at that, you have to select the Hollywood movies.

Tyler Perry's movies are mostly questionable, but he has a lot of fans and makes his money fine and good. His is even worse, because he stereotypes characters and the props are trash, that is Hollywood too....but that is low budget Hollywood.

Low budget Hollywood money, is still more than the average high budget Nollywood money. You cannot give what you don't have.

That being said, many Nollywood movies are improving with the props, I recently watched God Calling and the Special Effects were decent. Have you watched it?

I think my issue with New Nollywood is their lack of storyline, poor script writing and the actors need to imitate Hollywood at times. Old movies like Igodo, Festival of Fire and even A Cry for Help, may not have had the fancy effects, but they had spirit. They were interesting and the script writing was brilliant (I have had to recently watch the older movies to gave a better appreciation of these movies).

So many Nigerians have this idea of Nollywood that is stuck in a period and they easily pick out only the negatives, without appreciating the positives. It is an innate thing for Africans to pick out the negatives in their works, and hammer on it, rather than focus on the positives, but give them American movies and they will swallow them hook, line and mugu, even when Americans make politically incorrect statements.

Hollywood don't even know the difference between a Nigerian, Kenyan and South African accent. They don't know which country is what in Africa, they can't align names to the correct ethnicities or even countries at times, but Africans easily overlook such incorrect representations. If na Nollywood now, everyone will notice Jim Iyke's wrong accent.

If the older script writers and actors merged with the new directors, producers, some actors and special effects guys, we could have something great

Film making is an art, and making money should not be all to it.

Read the reason why banks run away from contributing to Nollywood:

AGAINST the backdrop of criticism that Corporate Nigeria is refusing to contribute to the growth of the industry through partnership on film projects, a bank MD, who prefers anonymity said recently that it is difficult to work with an industry which is lacking in structure. He said that although some Nollywood filmmakers are trying their best in the field, he described majority of the players as charlatans, who cannot put up an ordinary business proposal.
https://www.nigeriafilms.com/celebrity-gossips/128-nollywood-on-fire/14736-why-banks-may-never-sponsor-nollywood-movies-again

Film making is a business, and making money is important. But film making is also an art, and so money making is not all of it.
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by thundafire: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
They all have one one distributor NO 1 IGWEKA ROAD ONITSHA.
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by doublecross(m): 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2020
I love Nollywood movies and will never stop watching. I prefer them to all those trash Hollywood movies where you see just one soldier shooting at millions of heavily armed soldiers and will come out unscratched. That's never feasible. All those criticizing Nollywood, go back and watch igodo, oracle, evil men, witches, flash back, above death, full moon, died wretched, narrow escape, diamond ring, and many more

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Olatara(f): 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2020
theoneJabulani:
When you realize actresses wear makeup to bed
I watch one Hollywood movie recently (fall from grace) the actress wore makeup to bed.
How about that?
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by drawbag80: 3:34pm On Feb 18, 2020
I stopped seeing yoruba movie when saheed osupa acted as a doctor,he didn't mention any medical term. Radarada

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Hifeylove: 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2020
I stopped watching Nollywood movie when an Actor acted in 2 persons.. He actually acted a twin role...
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2020
Recent nollywood movies are cinema based
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by okpalaAnambra: 3:42pm On Feb 18, 2020
tartar9:
Igbos almost destroyed our movie industry.Abysmal quality is always their usual trademark
Thank God for Yoruba's that we now have movies which are,at least,cinema worthy.
Yorubas have nothing to offer..that's why u have no stake in nollywood
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Dgreatman10: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2020
Okuda:
a male son is apt by Nadia Buari. look at Bob. he is a female son. you have to be specific with the things you want.
grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by sharpwriter(m): 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2020
safarigirl:
Nigerians don't have to watch Nolywiid movies, other Africans watch them a lot and are fine with it.

Most Nigerians are spoilt for choice, hence their ridiculous tastes at times

There are good and bad movies in every movie industry. I have seen Hollywood movies where they had gaffes as well.

Anyway, I watch Nollywood movies because of the relatability. Many of the stories are the realities of a lot of Nigerians, unlike watching Hollywood, whose stories I can't relate to half the time.

You just need to sieve the chaff from the wheat. There are a lot of great Nollywood movies, once you skip Ugezu J. Ugezu and anything that has unfamiliar faces like Destiny Etiko, you will find great movies.

Lol.... Are you saying that Ugezu makes wack movies? Na veteran director o.. Mostly in igbo traditional movies though cheesy but I no dey like his movies much sha grin

And how is Destiny Etiko unfamiliar?
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Supersymetry: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2020
Not bad, movies portray the mentality of its audience.
But those things you listed will make a good comedy,as for the ghost issue anything is possible.
As for poison,all poison have lethal dose, nd for movie, all movies are boring(including Hollywood) relative to individual's imagination,IQ, level of awareness etc.
Nollywood is a story telling platform (real or fiction)

1 Like

Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by sharpwriter(m): 3:57pm On Feb 18, 2020
ajebuter:
Nigeria movie?

Last I watched were: "Saworo Ide ' and " Ti Oluwa ni Ile' ( By Baba Wande) in the early 90s

I find most Nigerian movies tasteless, no content, poor audio/video, suspenseless, unoriginal, constant code-mixing, , (mixing Yoruba/Igbo with English,), repetitive, predictable, and extremely shallow acting..

Proudly Badged- Telemundo Fan!

Lol... Go and look for Ogidan parts 1 and 2 starring Hanks Anuku, Ernest Asuzu, Lanre Balogun, Lilian Bach etc.

Twas made in mid 2000 's and I love the movie.
Re: Are These The Reasons Some Nigerians Don't Watch Nollywood Movies? by Temidaryour: 3:58pm On Feb 18, 2020
I stop watching nollywood movies when the actress in South Africa and making calls to Nigeria that there’s cold and she was putting on jacket and suddenly someone was passing by with no clothes !!!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BBNaija: Top 5 Housemates Who Earned More Money This Season / BBNaija: Alex Removes Her Top, Bares Boobs On Live TV / Tacha & Mercy Eke: Are These The Hottest Girls On #bbnaija 2019?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.